Swiss man missing from Sairee beach on Koh Tao

webfact

Swiss man missing from Sairee beach on Koh Tao

KOH SAMUI: -- A Swiss man on holiday has gone missing in Koh Tao from the same beach where two backpackers were murdered in September. The man, who is feared drowned, failed to return to the beach after he went snorkeling at the weekend.

Police and scuba divers have been searching for the man who is believed to be 44, his friend told the police on Koh Tao that he had expected his friend to return at around 5pm.

The man has now been officially reported as missing, he was last seen wearing orange fishing trunks and wearing a single snorkeling fin.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2014-11-11

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swiss snorkeller goes missing at Koh Tao
By Coconuts Bangkok

missing.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Swiss tourist is missing after he went snorkeling alone on Saturday off Koh Tao.

Police yesterday conducted a search on the land and water for 44-year-old Suter Hanspeter, who never returned from snorkelling after he was reported missing by a snorkelling gear rental shop.

He went into the water at Sairee Beach, the site of the gruesome double-murder of two British travelers in September.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/11/11/swiss-snorkeller-goes-missing-koh-tao

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-11-11

Weren't there small craft advisories this weekend due to storm activity and high winds?

Absolute no high winds or high waves on the west side of the islands in

the last 5 days. In fact, the water was as flat as a mirror most of the time.

Probably just a bad accident.

I always recommend people to wear a swimming west when going to snorkel.

The small orange tip of the snorkel can hardly be seen by the long tail boat drivers.

If one wants to dive down a bit further down whilst snorkeling,

I recommend to attach the swimming west with a bit of string to the leg.

Many of the longtail boats drive very close to the corals where people

are snorkeling and sitting right on the back of one of those boats, you

can not see anything right in front of the boat.

But I suppose, no different to people not wanting to wear a crash helmet

or safety belts, some people thing wearing a swimwest for snorkeling is

stupid.

Thank you. Koh Samui was pummeled by big waves, high winds and thunderstorm from early Saturday morning through Sunday night.

Swiss Tourist Missing On Koh Tao Island
By Khaosod English

14156842521415684306l.jpg
Tourist police issued a missing person poster for Suter Hanspeter, 44, who was last seen at around 5 pm on Haat Sai Ri beach on 8 November.

SURAT THANI — Police are searching for a Swiss tourist who went missing from Koh Tao island three days ago and has not been seen since.

Suter Hanspeter, 44, was last seen at around 5 pm on Haat Sai Ri beach on 8 November, said Koh Tao mayor Chaiyan Thurasakul.

According to Chaiyan, the Swiss man rented snorkeling equipment from a store by the beach on Saturday and was later seen snorkeling in a "shallow area."

Staff at the rental store alerted police when Hanspeter did not return after nightfall, Chaiyan said.

Hanspeter's disappearance coincided with a storm that rocked the southern coast of Thailand over the weekend, but Chaiyan said police are optimistic that Hanspeter may be still alive.

"Suter was swimming in the shallow area, so it's unlikely that he drowned," the mayor told reporters. "If he did drown, his body would have swept to the shore already. It's been two days."

Police have urged anyone who has information about Hanspeter to contact them at 1555 or 081-538-9714.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1415684252

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-11-11

Weren't there small craft advisories this weekend due to storm activity and high winds?

The small orange tip of the snorkel can hardly be seen by the long tail boat drivers.
stupid.

Very good advice, thank you. Made me think about all the snorkel trips I have been on where I haven't done this and there was no real indication of my presence should a boat come along.

• Like 1

stupid.

Admittedly a long time since I last did snorkeling, but the purpose seems to be, having spotted something worth taking, to go under water, at least a few feet, sort of shallow diving, and then to blow the snorkel clear again? How on earth would you do that with a swimming vest?

• Like 1

I suggest TAT rename Koh Tao to "Island of Death".

At least then, the tourists visiting would know what to expect.

Never know what to expect in LOS. Hopefully the world will see thru the smoke screen put up by the bib and boycott this area.

"CAN DO EASY IF YOU HAVE BAHT!!!" sad.png

Why would the authorities allow snorkelers or divers in the water with long tail boats at the same time? It is inviting injuries and deaths. Making things safe means making rules about who can do what and when they can do it.

• Like 2

Swiss snorkeller goes missing at Koh Tao

By Coconuts Bangkok

missing.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Swiss tourist is missing after he went snorkeling alone on Saturday off Koh Tao.

Police yesterday conducted a search on the land and water for 44-year-old Suter Hanspeter, who never returned from snorkelling after he was reported missing by a snorkelling gear rental shop.

He went into the water at Sairee Beach, the site of the gruesome double-murder of two British travelers in September.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/11/11/swiss-snorkeller-goes-missing-koh-tao

cocon.jpg

-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-11-11

box jelly? I mean not too long ago....

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/26/box-jellyfish-sting-kills-french-boy-thailand

Edited by Krenjai