Swiss man missing from Sairee beach on Koh Tao

webfact

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be smart of the Koh Tao businessmen to rename the place "Fantasy Island".

However one might overhear the following conversation at one of the bars:

"Ha Ha ...you have a fantasy that you may survive this island ?

Hey Boss Ze Plane ! Ze Plane !"

Weren't there small craft advisories this weekend due to storm activity and high winds?

Absolute no high winds or high waves on the west side of the islands in

the last 5 days. In fact, the water was as flat as a mirror most of the time.

Probably just a bad accident.
I always recommend people to wear a swimming west when going to snorkel.
The small orange tip of the snorkel can hardly be seen by the long tail boat drivers.
If one wants to dive down a bit further down whilst snorkeling,
I recommend to attach the swimming west with a bit of string to the leg.
Many of the longtail boats drive very close to the corals where people
are snorkeling and sitting right on the back of one of those boats, you
can not see anything right in front of the boat.
But I suppose, no different to people not wanting to wear a crash helmet
or safety belts, some people thing wearing a swimwest for snorkeling is
stupid.

Admittedly a long time since I last did snorkeling, but the purpose seems to be, having spotted something worth taking, to go under water, at least a few feet, sort of shallow diving, and then to blow the snorkel clear again? How on earth would you do that with a swimming vest?

Read again, the answer is in my posting!

If one wants to dive down a bit further down whilst snorkeling,
I recommend to attach the swimming west with a bit of string to the leg.
  • Like 2

If he was seen at Sairee in shallow water at 5pm, it's unlikely he'd then go out into deeper water as by that stage (5pm) the visibility would be deteriorating. Nothing to see in deeper water. In any case, The water off Sairee isn't very deep, but would be getting murky at 5pm.

" he was last seen wearing orange fishing trunks and wearing a single snorkeling fin." He was wearing a single dive fin??? One fin on one leg or a whaletail freediver's fin? whaletail would only be good for an expert swimmer and 5pm isn't an ideal time for it...Maybe a heart attack or seizure of some sort?

We can probably rule out Ebola or kidnapping by ISIS. Off course box jellyfish?

I'll be wrapped in seaweed and called a maki if I know....stranger things have happened.

Safest way to go snorkeling in deeper water is with a thin wet suit, inflatable vest and a weight-belt.

In shallow water just having a light weight-belt helps a lot to get down and swim near the bottom. But always wear a bright coloured T shirt (or similar) then you can be seen more easily and protect from sunburn.

One problem with snorkeling alone in Thai waters is always the (remote) possibility of picking up a cone shell and getting stung or a by a box jelly or even a stone fish which have been reported in those waters.

Wearing gloves is advised for all diving/snorkeling around here even if it only saves from coral rash.

The good thing about a wet-suit is that although its harder work to get down, once you drop your weight belt you float up and will wash ashore eventually (if the sharks don't get you)

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you had committed a heinous crime in or near the water and seemed to be getting away with it and then saw someone
seeming to be investigating, what might you do to that lone unobserved person?

bum them?

Why would the authorities allow snorkelers or divers in the water with long tail boats at the same time? It is inviting injuries and deaths. Making things safe means making rules about who can do what and when they can do it.

Now your being silly. Don't these poor people have enough problems with traffic laws. To make swimming safe as well is just unnecessary.

I've not been to Koh Tao but I presume the boat and jet ski hire is simular to a number of other places, where they are spread all along the beach.

In Pattaya/Jontiem the boats and jet ski's have to use a separate area and come in through a buoyed off entrance.

If this Swiss guy turn's up dead, Koh Toa days as a tourist destination may be numbered

Some of you are bloooody unreal, give the conspiracy theories a miss &lt;deleted&gt;.

Guy is missing, possibly drowned by accident ( maybe suicide) who knows, none of us thats for certain.

It is a fact though that whatever the circumstances it is a further kick in the mafia teeth that may see

this cesspit of corruption revealed for what it is.

This island seems to be doomed commercially and no one is shedding any tears.

According to the news on the Tevision( 17:30 hrs.) a body has been spotted in the water near to Koh Tao.Under the circumstances we must surely presume it is the missing snorkler.

According to the news on the Tevision( 17:30 hrs.) a body has been spotted in the water near to Koh Tao.Under the circumstances we must surely presume it is the missing snorkler.

Yes, I heard that too but, didnt want to speculate!

It probably is though.

Now the problem is that the reputation of the island and its people is shall we say ''somewhat tattered and torn.'' Any incident in which someone goes missing is bound to be questioned and rumours will be rife.

The inheritance that some of the islanders have created for Koh Tao and themselves is indeed a dubious one.

Let us hope that the person concerned will be found alive and well, although given the circumstances surrounding the matter I feel at the best only his body may be recovered.

Almost certainly the BIB will call this one a suicide.

Why would the authorities allow snorkelers or divers in the water with long tail boats at the same time? It is inviting injuries and deaths. Making things safe means making rules about who can do what and when they can do it.

Now your being silly. Don't these poor people have enough problems with traffic laws. To make swimming safe as well is just unnecessary.

I've not been to Koh Tao but I presume the boat and jet ski hire is simular to a number of other places, where they are spread all along the beach.

In Pattaya/Jontiem the boats and jet ski's have to use a separate area and come in through a buoyed off entrance.

If this Swiss guy turn's up dead, Koh Toa days as a tourist destination may be numbered

Yes, you are correct. The post started out being facetious with the first sentence, but then turned too serious. But the truth is that it simply takes time (measured in decades) for a third world country to move up the ladder.