More Phuket underpass lanes to be opened for Asian Beach Games

webfact

PHUKET: More underpass lanes to be opened for Asian Beach Games
Saran Mitrarat

image.jpg
Phuket Governor Nisit Jansomwong and Highways Department officials inspect construction progress at the Lotus and Darasamuth intersections.

PHUKET: -- All three lanes of the Darasamuth underpass will be temporarily opened to two-way traffic for the Asian Beach Games, Phuket Governor Nisit Jansomwong announced on Saturday (Nov 8).

Phuket Governor Nisit Jansomwong made the announcement after inspecting progress of construction work on the underpass and connecting intersections with Director of the Highways Department, Samak Lerdwong, and Phuket Police Deputy Commissioner, Col Sakchai Limjalern.

Both sides of the road will be cleared to let the traffic flow. All tools and construction materials will be removed and extra lighting added as a safety precaution during the beach games from November 14 to 23, said Gov Nisit.

The 10-day break in construction during the games will not delay the promised opening of the underpass by New Year, said the Highways Department director (story here). The officials also evaluated traffic flow at the Bangkoo intersection, at the north end of the bypass road, in order to plan how best to deal with the extra road traffic expected during the games.

About 6,000 participants are expected to be in Phuket for the games, including 2,700 athletes and 1,700 judges. Thousands more spectators are also expected to attend.

As part of the official initiative to beautify Phuket ahead of the games, municipality officials have been meeting with local shop owners, street vendors and residents to encourage them to help keep the streets clean and presentable while the games are on.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/more-underpass-lanes-to-be-opened-for-asian-beach-games-49588.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-11-11

Anyone know where the chaofa mine is? There's some events going on there.

I was wondering the same. First thought was the mining museum and the second the monument at Saphan Hin.

But seems like it's opposite of the Kajonkiet school http://www.phuketthailand2014.com/en/location5.aspx

Yeah I saw the location link, but still not exactly sure where it is. I was thinking maybe that big empty field on the road from Honda to POS school, by the new hospital in case of nasty paragliding crashes.