Uber app 'will change face of transport in Phuket'

webfact

Uber app 'will change face of transport in Phuket'
Alasdair Forbes

1415679815_1-org.jpg
Screen shots from the Uber smartphone app.

PHUKET: -- Uber, the smartphone app for calling a cab, was officially launched in Phuket today (November 12) after a month of ‘secret’ trials.

Uber already operates in more than 220 cities across six continents, explained Warren Tseng, Uber’s International Launcher.

“Here in Phuket, we are working with licensed limousine drivers.

“Our mobile app allows riders (in the case of Phuket, largely tourists or travellers) to get a safe, reliable, convenient and affordable limousine ride in minutes at the click of a button.”

After downloading the app, a user orders a cab by tapping on the screen. The app sends the phone’s location to Uber. The user puts in the address of his destination or marks it on the map. He can also get a price estimate for the trip.

A driver is contacted and his name and car details – make, colour, license plate – appear in the app. His location is tracked on a map. When he arrives an SMS is sent to the user.

On the way to the destination the user can follow the route on the map in his phone.

Users of the Uber system pay no cash; the fare is charged to their credit card when they reach their destination.

There is also a feedback form to rate the driver and the car.

“Feedback is extremely important to us and helps us ensure a consistently high quality for every ride on the Uber platform is maintained,” says Mr Tseng.

Uber “driver partners” are, he says, professionally licensed and insured. “When you use the Uber mobile app, you can be certain that you’re working with one of Phuket’s licensed and insured professional drivers.”

For Phuket Uber has chosen only “immaculate” Toyota, Mitsubishi, or Honda sedan or SUVs.

“The vehicle and the driver’s credentials have been inspected and approved by Uber and meet all regulatory requirements for a Phuket commercial transport operator.”

Asked why Uber chose to introduce its service in Phuket, Mr Tseng said the company had noticed existing Uber users trying to use the app when they arrived in Phuket.

“Phuket is a place where reliable transportation options are few and far between and public transport is virtually non-existent.

“We think it’s a fabulous time to launch in Phuket because people in Phuket and millions from around the world who visit the island every year are clamouring for a great new transport alternative, and we are very much focused on that – the type of alternative that Uber’s technology offers.

“People want safety, they want incredible reliability and they want accountability. Uber is the only technology which provides all three of these important qualities in Phuket.”

Phuket has therefore become the first #UberDESTINATION, “a series of exotic destination resort towns where travellers from around the world can turn to the service they love and trust to ride in style in popular holiday cities”.

Uber gives some samples of fares on the island. From the airport to anywhere in Phuket, it charges a flat rate of B950. For other routes the fare will vary depending on traffic, but expect to pay B614-772 for Patong to Nikki Beach (Layan Beach), B385-467 for Patong to Central Festival, B412-502 for Patong to the Boathouse on Kata Beach, Patong to Phuket Fantasea B327-390, and B254-293 for Patong to Le Meridien Phuket, Karon.

The prices are generally higher than for meter taxis. But many people will probably rate the convenience of being able to order a cab, not having to haggle over price, and not having to worry about communication difficulties as being adequate compensation for any difference.

For more detailed fare information, see www.uber.com/cities/phuket “Drivers in Phuket have been very welcoming of Uber,” says Mt Tseng, “and have been very interested in using the application. Drivers who use Uber still go about their normal business affairs – getting bookings through hotels, tour operators, travel agencies or personal clientèle – but can now boost their income by using Uber to fill down time between those bookings.

“We have seen Uber become a unifying force among the driver community around the island, which has historically been very segregated.

“Uber driver partners have been sharing their experience with other drivers from different parts of the island and encouraging them to partner with Uber.

“In addition, since ‘secret Ubers’ rolled onto the streets of Phuket in early October, we have seen more and more drivers come to us interested in becoming Uber driver partners.”

Source: http://thephuketnews.com/uber-app-%E2%80%98will-change-face-of-transport-in-phuket%E2%80%99-49579.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-11-12

Uber gives some samples of fares on the island. From the airport to anywhere in Phuket, it charges a flat rate of B950. For other routes the fare will vary depending on traffic, but expect to pay B614-772 for Patong to Nikki Beach (Layan Beach), B385-467 for Patong to Central Festival, B412-502 for Patong to the Boathouse on Kata Beach, Patong to Phuket Fantasea B327-390, and B254-293 for Patong to Le Meridien Phuket, Karon.

Taking the piss aren't they? Cheaper to get a bloody tuk tuk!

• Like 1

Taking the piss aren't they? Cheaper to get a bloody tuk tuk!

That's often the point - the tuk-tuks are bloody. Filthy, and smelly too. Full of unmentionables. And I don't just mean the driver.

I've seen tech savy taxi drivers in Bangkok join Uber and other related agencies, I think its good to get those corrupt taxi drivers to charge fair prices. For those foreigners crying bout getting ripped off, Thais on the other hand have a problem getting a taxi in these areas. So its a win win for the passengers.

I live in a gated village in East pattaya nad my mate and wife wanted a taxi. The thai taxi driver across the road was starting off for the evening and I waved him down. Never met him. But he dropped my mate and his wife off at their Hotel and "no charge, I hadn't start work yet". So he will get my business now. Well for short trips anyway.

I live in a gated village in East pattaya nad my mate and wife wanted a taxi. The thai taxi driver across the road was starting off for the evening and I waved him down. Never met him. But he dropped my mate and his wife off at their Hotel and "no charge, I hadn't start work yet". So he will get my business now. Well for short trips anyway.

What's his name?

Promo Code to get 50% off Uber Phuket rides

After testing their services for the last month, Uber Phuket has just gone live. To celebrate their launch, use the promo code “UBERPHUKETLAUNCH” to get 50% off all your rides (up to 500 Baht) until 20th November 2014 (insert the code under “Promotions” in your Uber app). Drivers will also be handing out limited edition Uber swag while supplies last.

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2014/11/promo-code-to-get-50-off-uber-phuket-rides/

i don't know about uber & other apps, after i saw plain taxi's in bangkok hanging out that publicity... why would a regular cab go into business ??? how many can read / write / speak any understandable english ?

Don't they just need to know the names of streets and places?

Isn't it up to you to know how to pronounce Thai destinations?

I once asked a taxi driver to take me to Central (the department store). He looked at me blankly, so I repeated it. No joy. So then I remembered about changing L's to N's at the end of a Thai word.

So I said "Centrun?"

"OK" he said and off we went to Central. biggrin.png

• 2 weeks later...