Phuket talks defuse Army-Navy tension over demolition

Lite Beer

Phuket talks defuse Army-Navy tension over demolition

Saran Mitrarat

1415789922_1-org.jpg

Col Thakarin: It was all a misunderstanding.

PHUKET: The Beach Club at Nai Yang and the neighbouring Baan Bussaba restaurant will definitely be demolished – eventually – the senior officer in Phuket of the Royal Thai Army said today (November 12).

Col Thakarin Intornkhai made the statement this morning by way of clarification after confusion over the restaurant’s demolition that was supposed to take place last Friday (November 7).

On that day the Royal Thai Navy arrived to support local officials who planned to demolish the two places - the normal procedure.

But as OrBorTor staff carried furniture out of the Beach Club – over the vehement protests of owner Aroon Paewpanchoo, who attempted to block their work with his pickup truck – a dozen Army troops arrived, led by Col Thakarin of the Army’s 41st Circle – who recently replaced Col Somchai Ponatong as the man to “look after” Phuket on behalf of the National Council for Peace and Order.

Their arrival was followed by that of Thalang District Chief Supot Chanakit. Both appeared to take the side of Mr Aroon, asking the OrBorTor to stop.

OrBorTor Sakoo vice-president Surin Yotarak insisted, however, on demolishing the buildings, neither of which had a building permit, and both of which were built on public land.

(An application by Mr Aroon to stop the demolition was recently rejected by the provincial court, triggering the decision to knock the two restaurants down.)

All parties then went into a closed-door meeting, with press excluded.

Afterwards it was announced that the demolition would be postponed until after the Asian Beach Games so that there would not be an unsightly demolition site a kilometre from where some of the sports events will take place.

This morning Governor Nisit Jansomwong called a meeting that included Col Thakarin, officers from the Royal Thai Navy, Phuket Provincial Police commander Maj Gen Patchara Boonyasit and a variety of bureaucrats involved in the tangled case, to try to come to a resolution. Again, the press were excluded.

After the meeting, Col Thakarin explained, “It was misunderstanding. At that time we understood that the restaurant owner had appeal to the court. That’s why I decided to order demolition postponed.”

“At the time the representatives of OrBorTor Sakoo did not make the details clear to the army. I believe we should not carry out any action if everything is not clear,” he added.

“And I don’t want to see local people and officers arguing. So I decided to call for negotiations,” Col Thakarin said.

“Later, however, I learned that [Mr Aroon] they appeal to the Phuket Provincial Government – not the Appeals Court – so I think the demolition will continue.”

The date for the demolition will be set by Phuket Vice-Governor Somkiet Sangkhaosutthirak, he said.

Col Thakarin also said that he is new in Phuket, “I just started working for Phuket on Friday, and that was my first job – I have to learn more about Phuket from [my predecessor] Col Somchai [Ponatong].”

After that Gov Nisit and Gen Patchara emerged together from the meeting room. Gen Patchara declined to comment but the governor said, “Gen Patchara will take legal steps to lay a criminal case for public land encroachment if the restaurant owner does not cooperate.

“At the moment, the committee of the Appeal Division of the Provincial Government are investigating [Mr Aroon’s] request, which expires 12 days from now,” he added.

In 12 days the 60-day notice period from the OrBorTor for Mr Aroon to demolish his buildings runs out.

The Beach Club and Baan Bussaba were examined by no fewer than seven government departments in Phuket – the Land Office, the Thalang District Office, the Royal Forestry Department, the Department of National Parks, OrBorTor Sakoo, the Police and the Navy – all of whom concluded that the two restaurants sit on public land.

“We found they encroached on public land and we will demolish them in the end,” Gov Nisit added. “Obviously [claiming the restaurants are legal] is nonsense: all of the buildings in the row have been demolished apart from these two.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-talks-defuse-army-navy-tension-over-demolition-49615.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-11-12

Col Thakarin also said that he is new in Phuket, “I just started working for Phuket on Friday, and that was my first job – I have to learn more about Phuket from [my predecessor] Col Somchai [Ponatong].”

"A new broom sweeps clean, but the old one knows where the tea money is"