Udon Thani: 193 foreigners face visa revocation for faking marriage with Thai women

webfact

Seems like a lot of trouble to just stay in Thailand. Why not just get an ED visa?

That's a joke, right?

Faked a marriage? They've only been identified and not contacted? They face visa revocation soon?

That's a joke, right?

If a marriage certificate was issued and the proper paperwork filled out and stamped, then these men are married, regardless... unless there are again too many details missing here.

Regardless of motive and intent, moreover because of motive and intent, I guess a lot of marriages could be construed as fake, simply on the grounds of personal gain.

Furthermore, if we were all judged on personal motive and intent then the TAT would be hard put to cough up tourist profits next year.

Anyway, this really comes as no surprise, but I would not put it on my "fear" list. What really bothers me is again the Thais are focusing on the matter of mopping up the leaking water and not repairing the faulty plumbing.

This is worthy of a "HUB" trophy.

• Like 2

And what to do with the 193 Thais who made this possible and cashed the money ?

Get away scot free probably. Saw a documentary recently about this happening in UK. Guy (mainly) gets deported but the UK passport holder (usually non-indigenous) can't be prosecuted and is free to try again.

The nationalities mentioned are interesting ...

From the quality tourism countries that Thailand so much desires.whistling.gif

And we suppose that you are of the quality that's needed. But I wouldn't think so if this is your way of thinking. ROFL

Sent from my S4 LTE

Edited by boike

As it often happens, too many details are missing here.

What do they mean by "faking marriage"?

Do the women even exist?

Women marring multiple men for a price?

Documents faked and forged for non existent relationships?

Visas issued by shady officials with no documents provided by the husband but those with pix of his magisty and big numbers on them?

"Fake marriage " can mean many things.

If it were defined, half of the posts on this topic would be invalid.

What half, we can only guess...without the needed details.

It all seems so foolish..there are many Thai women available for real marriages....why fake one?

And the Thai officials that made this opportunity to cheat the system possible.................... what will happen to them.

If the service was not offered by a Thai then the opportunity would never have arisen. Soooooo, are they getting arrested OR WAT ? bah.gif

So you're saying that everyone who fakes his qualifications for a visa or extension of stay can only accomplish this Herculean task with the open complicity of Thai Immigrations officers who "offer" this service?

It doesn't sound like this particular lot would have included many likely candidates for major under-the-table compensation. If anything I would think this group, for the most part, accomplished their deception solo, fairly ineptly and on the cheap.

It does explain why applications for the marriage extension often involve chats with the neighbors and photos of the happy couple in front of their connubial bungalow and in the boudoir. One can only imagine what the next step might be. But the "discovery" or revelation of all these who have circumvented the system will probably make things tougher for everyone who has a marriage extension, including all those who are completely legitimate.

Some people usually get huffy when people on TV act annoyed at those who break the law, proclaiming "what business is it of yours?", but it inevitable makes life more difficult for everyone and of course immigrations gets blamed for demanding more onerous proof ... whether for Ed visas, extensions for marriage or retirement, use of visa exempt entries, etc.

It does explain why applications for the marriage extension often involve chats with the neighbors and photos of the happy couple in front of their connubial bungalow and in the boudoir. One can only imagine what the next step might be
Reminds me of the old joke....Got any photos of your missus naked...no?...want to buy some?
God help us if the Thai Immigration Paparazzi comes a calling

And the Thai officials that made this opportunity to cheat the system possible.................... what will happen to them.

If the service was not offered by a Thai then the opportunity would never have arisen. Soooooo, are they getting arrested OR WAT ? bah.gif

Even with this obvious guilt on the foreigners parts, you still insist on blaming the Thais.

• Like 1

Everyone you come in contact with is either an asset or liability. Thailand has failed to understand this and not allow the liabilities into the country to begin with. As I have said before they should have a National Agency/Interpol Check of all Visa applicants.

Yea because the foreigners are either alcoholics and or dumb as a brick. (1) they marry either a bar girl or massage girl. (2) The guy made zero effort to learn Thai. How many foreigners can you think of that speaks half decent Thai ? I can think of three that i have met in twenty years none including myself married a bar girl. I have zero sympathy for these suckers. Not a day barely goes by where i either don,t read a story or meet someone who has married a very questionable woman. Not someone i would be proud to meet my parents.

so many thai women fake a marriage for a few months or years, and they get free houses, cars, bank accounts

That speak(s) (or write half decent English!).

I bet your days "barely go by"!

And no they probably would not like to meet your parents!

If you "don't read a story" then you...well, don't!

Dumb as a brick.

Jeepers mate, good to hear you are on top of things after 20 years!

Edited by GTI68
  • Like 1

Just to keep playing field level (as if!) can I sue my ex for fraud regarding our "marriage" which she wanted to try to con me into taking to USA? (didn't bite on that part of the apple, thank you).

I've read plenty and heard of plenty of stories of Thai women already married that lasso some innocent trusting farang like myself (aka idiot). Isn't that obtaining money under false circumstances hence illegal, or perhaps "reserved occupation"?

No problem they can then go to the UK and the same. This time they can claim some benefits perhaps

No' perhaps' about it.

Plus free housing, medical, schooling.

Libraries that have volumes of English books removed and replaced with books in their own language...Never mind they do not visit libraries to read but to hang out in winter weather.

And god help the digusting white racist that attempts to complain about this favourable treatment to the poor just married non English speaking guy.

Come on, all Indians speak perfect Oxford English....... clap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

Just wonder why, after 5 min, I couldn't still figure out if they were talking English or Hindi, or whatever else.w00t.gif

I don't know many western people here in Thailand who speak Oxford English. when you start making broad assumptions about any ethnic group - you can start to sound racist. The ability to speak English is based on education and environment - not by the color of one's skin.

Edited by KED

ED visa seems easier to get with less requirements than a marriage visa. What am i missing?

Taking an educated guess, I would say that these foreigners have intentions of using their bogus wives as Thai upfront names perhaps to acquire land, real estate and businesses or to get them some sorts of footholds in the country, year by year, which is not possible to do on an education visa.

I would bet that these cases are only the tip of the iceberg, and that marriages of convenience are probably rampant in Thailand.

• Like 1

ED visa seems easier to get with less requirements than a marriage visa. What am i missing?

Taking an educated guess, I would say that these foreigners have intentions of using their bogus wives as Thai upfront names perhaps to acquire land, real estate and businesses or to get them some sorts of footholds in the country, year by year, which is not possible to do on an education visa.

I would bet that these cases are only the tip of the iceberg, and that marriages of convenience are probably rampant in Thailand.

I can assure you my 7 year marriage is an inconvenient truth lol

How much booze did you down already today? Did i hit a nerve that reminded you of yourself?

Yea because the foreigners are either alcoholics and or dumb as a brick. (1) they marry either a bar girl or massage girl. (2) The guy made zero effort to learn Thai. How many foreigners can you think of that speaks half decent Thai ? I can think of three that i have met in twenty years none including myself married a bar girl. I have zero sympathy for these suckers. Not a day barely goes by where i either don,t read a story or meet someone who has married a very questionable woman. Not someone i would be proud to meet my parents.

so many thai women fake a marriage for a few months or years, and they get free houses, cars, bank accounts

That speak(s) (or write half decent English!).

I bet your days "barely go by"!

And no they probably would not like to meet your parents!

If you "don't read a story" then you...well, don't!

Dumb as a brick.

Jeepers mate, good to hear you are on top of things after 20 years!

This story broke a few weeks back when a young Thai lady applied for marriage, and found out she was already married. The Thai official/s that provided the names for this scheme were ID but they didn't name any names of the wrong doers. Maybe because the investigation was ongoing. However it would be nice to see justice and have names named and provide what ever punishment they got, ie slap on the wrist no milk with dinner ect