Udon Thani: 193 foreigners face visa revocation for faking marriage with Thai women

webfact

At least no Greeks involved this time......................

Do you think they are coming to Khon Kaen or am I safe for the moment?

Don't count your chickens Costas. You're only 130 K's away but seeing no one travels at the speed of light here, I think you might be safe for quite some time.

ED visa seems easier to get with less requirements than a marriage visa. What am i missing?

ED visas do expire. Marriage Visas can go on a long time
all Visas expire at some point. You are probably referring to an Extension of Stay. You can extend your permission to stay as long as you apply timely and meet requirements.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

ED visa seems easier to get with less requirements than a marriage visa. What am i missing?

Taking an educated guess, I would say that these foreigners have intentions of using their bogus wives as Thai upfront names perhaps to acquire land, real estate and businesses or to get them some sorts of footholds in the country, year by year, which is not possible to do on an education visa.

I would bet that these cases are only the tip of the iceberg, and that marriages of convenience are probably rampant in Thailand.

Yep, that was my thought as well, a little bit more than just getting a visa.

Now, it will be interesting to see what happens to the 193 if their visas are revoked, or more importantly to their assets that they have accumulated.

Would also be interesting to see how long the bans will be; if the visas are proved to have been obtained by fraudulent means, does that mean they are overstay cases?

Good time for the new rules on overstay to become law if that is the case IMHO.....................wink.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Seems like a lot of trouble to just stay in Thailand. Why not just get an ED visa?

They're obviously not real bright as they have been easily detected so can you imagine how they would go with the Ed visa?

Yep, the immigration lady in question should only have provided the ID details of the fugly ones and not the pretty ones for the marriage scams.

While not foolproof, it would lengthen to odds of one of them showing up to get legally married......................wink.png

And I assume you consider this to be a relatively new scam, as in easily detected? Sorry, this has been going on for decades in one guise or another.

• 2 weeks later...

so many thai women fake a marriage for a few months or years, and they get free houses, cars, bank accounts

Some are even able to fake religious beliefs to have their own Lear Jets. ( Comes with good filled bank accounts, cars, houses and more)

The only difference might be that these "religious leaders" don't have to fake an orgasm. Or say things like: "I lav you yoo 2 match". blink.png

But please stop your Thai bashing post.bah.gif

It would be a big surprise to find out how many foreigners fled the scene of having a family back home, where their wives always faked everything.

Men go to a brothel in almost all countries, to give their better half time to come. Wherever that might be.

Coming home from a 12 hour shift to see your wife in bed with the Pizza freak doesn't seem to be satisfying for many men

Or the plumber, or best friend?

Tirac, I only go and buy a pack of cigarettes, would be my answer.........facepalm.gif .

Getting a visa with a right to inhabit another country for a year should be onerous!

It would be nice if the world is my playground but that's not realistic.

I think you missed the "legitimately married" part of the sentence; not like you to overlook the small print "Santi"!!

• 4 weeks later...