Baitcasting reels and brake wear.

jack2964

Being relatively new to baitcasters, I have a question regarding wear of the adjustable plastic tabs found in centrifugal braking systems.

I understand those little plastic tabs one flicks 'ON' to engage work on friction and surely this would result in wear over time.

My question is how does one know they are worn and replacement is due and where can one source these parts?

Good news is that my Shimano Calcuttas, Curados, and others have 6 of the nubbins.

I have never worn one out, even after decades of using some of the reels. But since I only engage 2 or 3 at once, my plan is to swap to the ones that don't get engaged if the others ever do wear out. I stand ready...

I wouldn't sweat a replacement for a few years at least.

What brand are the reels? That may helps someone identify a Thai source of parts if they're popular brands (or dastardly clever knockoffs)

Good news is that my Shimano Calcuttas, Curados, and others have 6 of the nubbins.

I have never worn one out, even after decades of using some of the reels. But since I only engage 2 or 3 at once, my plan is to swap to the ones that don't get engaged if the others ever do wear out. I stand ready...

I wouldn't sweat a replacement for a few years at least.

What brand are the reels? That may helps someone identify a Thai source of parts if they're popular brands (or dastardly clever knockoffs)

I've googled this and I couldn't find any discussion about those plastic bits wearing off. It just goes against logic that they are so resistant to wear.

I am a Shimano fan myself and recently treated myself to an Antares HG and an Aldebaran BFS XG. Love 'em both!

So I guess it is safe to conclude; the brakes would outlive the reels.

They will never wear out. The friction is minimal. If they ever did you'd start experiencing more overruns/bird nests. You could always tighten the end cap to add more friction or add thicker oil in the bearings.

Don't know what kind of reel you have but on an old one of mine I could use bits of cotton bud tube (cut off the cotton part) as alternative brakes. Different weighting and effect. Like how some reels like Daiwas I think it is have light brake blocks and heavier brake blocks (red or black I think it was) for more or less braking.

The Shimano Bait Runner 6500 is the best I have found for fishing at Bo Saeng for the big ones. Our club uses these reels and never have had a breakdown. We do keep them cleaned and oiled. The bait runner allows you to set the pay out on the back and lay the rod down while waiting for a fish to hit. Otherwise you end up holding the rod all day which gets old. I will start using these reels in my Doi Hang Fishing Park as the Pla Suwai are now getting big enough that they require a stiff rod and a good reel. I will also buy a Penn bait runner which looks like a first class reel.

I have 5 bait casters and they get regular use but all are magnet controlled casting apart from an abu mgx, the abu has an ivcb control system which is beginning to show signs of wear after 3 years,

@ jack...i guess you bought a shimano? All parts are easily available even tuning parts such as ceramic bearings and lighter spools,

My lastest acquisition is also an antares but the digital controlled model, so easy to use even casting into wind.

Edited by tingtongfarang

I have 5 bait casters and they get regular use but all are magnet controlled casting apart from an abu mgx, the abu has an ivcb control system which is beginning to show signs of wear after 3 years,

@ jack...i guess you bought a shimano? All parts are easily available even tuning parts such as ceramic bearings and lighter spools,

My lastest acquisition is also an antares but the digital controlled model, so easy to use even casting into wind.

My first Shimano baitcaster was a cheapo - model 'Salty One'. I managed to break that one barely into 2 years of fishing. The level-winder would get stuck at end of travel and of course made a mess of line laying in the spool. I retired that reel and went a bit silly buying both the Antares HG and Aldebaran. I find the Antares a bit heavy and quite tiring as I toss lures all day long. The feather-weight Aldebaran is my favorite now. Both reels are a joy to cast but I still get bird-nests specially so after changing lures (rather frequently) and being careless with fine tuning the cast control tension. You know how it is when the fish are on a rampage all too briefly.

Between the 2, I find the Aldebaran easier to get right in setting brake and cast knob tension.

Note: The brake bits are different sized in all 3 reels.

My first Shimano baitcaster was a cheapo - model 'Salty One'. I managed to break that one barely into 2 years of fishing. The level-winder would get stuck at end of travel and of course made a mess of line laying in the spool. I retired that reel and went a bit silly buying both the Antares HG and Aldebaran. I find the Antares a bit heavy and quite tiring as I toss lures all day long. The feather-weight Aldebaran is my favorite now. Both reels are a joy to cast but I still get bird-nests specially so after changing lures (rather frequently) and being careless with fine tuning the cast control tension. You know how it is when the fish are on a rampage all too briefly.

Between the 2, I find the Aldebaran easier to get right in setting brake and cast knob tension.

Note: The brake bits are different sized in all 3 reels.

True the antares is a little heavy but i honestly have not noticed even casting allday, mostly i,m casting either top water frogs for pla chon or buzz baits for pla shadow and it seems to handle them both just fine,

Even with digital control its still necessary to stop the spool with the thumb as the lure hits the water but i find with this reel my casts are more accurate,

For me the cast knob tension is set just to the point of no free play...i let the control system and my thumb do the rest,

Previously i had my reels set up on specific rods and used them for each application they were best at, in the last month i seem to be only using the antares on different rods while the others are collecting dust,

Dont worry about those plastic bits...will take a few years of use before they show any wear.

Anyone have experience with the Shimano Bait runner or similar spinning reels. Also. has any one been fishing in Bo Saeng, Chiang Mai?

Never owned one before but I had a Ryobi baitrunner many many years ago when I used to fish for Tilapia and Carp. It worked pretty well for me then.

Don't know about Bo Saeng. I once fished at a pay pond near my village and didn't get any joy out of it. These days I fish only in the wild.

Anyone have experience with the Shimano Bait runner or similar spinning reels. Also. has any one been fishing in Bo Saeng, Chiang Mai?

Hi Donald

Yes i have 3 shimano baitrunners in my rack at the moment but only 1 of them belongs to me, 2 x 6500s belong to friends and 1 oc12000 i bought for friends and family to use when on holidays here...think its only been used 3 times since new,

Although there are many fishing parks around ...even bsr is within a 1 minute walk i find mostly i go lure fishing in the wild these days.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the pay ponds. Only because I come to fish them once or twice a year. England has nothing like it. Carp here barely pull any drag and catching one can take weeks. It's nice to have a bend in the rod and a fish that really goes. Had fun catching a mekong catfish on an Akios 555. About Abu 4600 size. Once was enough though. The drag just couldn't cope and that was on a small to medium sized fish.

I use the Shimano Baitrunners 3500, 4500 and 6500, depending on which fishing lake or pay pond I fish at.

I did BSR on the 3500 with 15lb mono, not a good idea and upped to 40lb mono. However, the 3500 model barely spool enough 40lb mono for BSR, so I use the bigger 4500 ever since. Works great.

At Bosang Fishing Park I use the 3500 with 40lb mono and fished from the far side of the lake from the entrance. Matched it with a Shakespeare Titanium rod (40lb rating). No problems pulling in up to 30kg cats within 15 to 20 minutes. Last fished there two weeks ago, not many people fishing then.