Suspects in the murder of a 46 year old German man in Samui could walk free on Tuesday

webfact

Suspects in the murder of a 46 year old German man in Samui could walk free on Tuesday

victim-Volker.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- Today Monday 17.11.2014 sees the deadline for charges to be brought against the killers of Volker Schwartges, the 46 year old German man from Duesseldorf who was stabled to death in Chaweng.

The suspects have now been detained for 84 days, the maximum amount of time they are able to be detained without charges. If public prosecutor has not built up a case against the five juveniles they will walk free on Tuesday. A German news correspondent has confirmed information from the Samui Court that there has not yet been any movement in this case.

Three suspects between ages 15 and 17 were arrested after the incident in the Green Mango Soi in Chaweng. Acc Pol.Col. Satit said a search of the suspects’ residences turned up a knife that was reportedly used in the attack; previous police reports indicated that Mr. Volker was stabbed by shards of glass from a broken beer bottle.

One of the suspects said Mr. Volker berated the group for sitting on his motorcycle in the parking lot of a nightclub, Pol.Col. Satit said. The suspects confessed to punching and stabbing him in the neck after the argument escalated, the officer said.

“They fled the crime scene without knowing that the victim was dead,” Pol.Col. Satit said.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2014-11-17

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess I'll reserve judgement another twenty-four hours, but it seems they have more evidence on these THAI kids, and might be setting them loose, than they have on the two kids from Myanmar, who are the accused in an "air tight" case.

One of the suspects said Mr. Volker berated the group for sitting on his motorcycle in the parking lot of a nightclub, Pol.Col. Satit said. The suspects confessed to punching and stabbing him in the neck after the argument escalated, the officer said.

why set them loose when they confessed already

The judicial system in this country defies logics, every prosecutor is an entity on it's self, they're powerful

people in their capacity, if they wish so to prosecute than the will even if the evidence are flimsy at best,

if they decide not to prosecute, and damn the many evidences at hands, than this is it unless

a higher court will appeal, want

Guess I'll reserve judgement another twenty-four hours, but it seems they have more evidence on these THAI kids, and might be setting them loose, than they have on the two kids from Myanmar, who are the accused in an "air tight" case.

Family members too powerful?

Well, reading between the lines, my guess:

1. Because Thais, not foreigners, committed the murder; and, 2. because the foreigner caused them to lose Face by "berating them."

Then again, maybe just because the Surat Thani chief of police said, "No Thai person could ever had done this."

Let's hope the German media stays on this ….

I am always baffled at how easily Thai people in general resort to murderous violence,especially since they are supposed to be non-violent Buddhists,we see these murders so many times.Young people, who have no fear of murdering someone or inflicting very grave wounds ,even on other Thais.Perhaps it is because they are eating so much flesh,against the rules of non-violence AHIMSA. Of course the young people are following a pattern demonstrated by their elders but still it is quite shocking that THais in general can so easily kill another human being.

This is another example of tourist not getting justice in thailand wht would the prosecuter leave it this long ?

If I were the defense attorney:

My client was awaiting the arrival of the now deceased German to discuss the deceased continued harassment of his female Thai ladyfriend and employee of the deceased.

The deceased became very belligerent and combative when my client requested the deceased quit sexually harassing my lady friend. My client had to protect himself from the physical aggression of the much larger German man and when in fear of his own life he eventually stabbed the aggressor.

There are no witnesses to the contrary.

-----------

if I recall, the "lady" in question made statements at the time to indicate she was supportive of the Thai male rather than the now deceased German.

Ofcourse, my own opinion on what happened is NOT what I describe above; however, the charge of murder is not as "cut & dry" as some here suggest.

My own opinion, based on the original news article (and we all should know by now not to place much belief in any news article) is that the "lady" was playing both ends. She was leading the German on to improve her position at work and for the good life of restaurants and gifts that comes from dating farang while at the same time playing her old Thai boyfriend who wanted her back. In all too typical fashion, she has nothing to gain by defending a dead German whose wallet is now dry and she now sides with the Thai boyfriend who has much more to now offer than a dead farang.

The prosecution would have to rely heavily on her testimony since the accused friends are the only witnesses and will support him.

My opinion from the beginning is that when the German approached a group of Thai males sitting on his motorcycle in the dark night, he should have had the wisdom to walk away and retrieve the bike the next morning. He was not a tourist, he was a bar owner and lived in Thailand long enough to know the danger of the Thai male mindset.

Maybe the police are just too busy.

I mean, after all, a Swiss tourist went "missing" a few days ago, and a body of what cops are calling a European (but not the Swiss guy) washed up on shore. Both of these on, drum roll, please …. Koh Tao.

EDIT: Here's a link:

http://www.samuitimes.com/dead-body-found-near-koh-tao-swiss-tourist-reported-missing/

This is another example of tourist not getting justice in thailand wht would the prosecuter leave it this long ?

If I were the defense attorney:

My client was awaiting the arrival of the now deceased German to discuss the deceased continued harassment of his female Thai ladyfriend and employee of the deceased.

The deceased became very belligerent and combative when my client requested the deceased quit sexually harassing my lady friend. My client had to protect himself from the physical aggression of the much larger German man and when in fear of his own life he eventually stabbed the aggressor.

There are no witnesses to the contrary.

-----------

if I recall, the "lady" in question made statements at the time to indicate she was supportive of the Thai male rather than the now deceased German.

Ofcourse, my own opinion on what happened is NOT what I describe above; however, the charge of murder is not as "cut & dry" as some here suggest.

My own opinion, based on the original news article (and we all should know by now not to place much belief in any news article) is that the "lady" was playing both ends. She was leading the German on to improve her position at work and for the good life of restaurants and gifts that comes from dating farang while at the same time playing her old Thai boyfriend who wanted her back. In all too typical fashion, she has nothing to gain by defending a dead German whose wallet is now dry and she now sides with the Thai boyfriend who has much more to now offer than a dead farang.

The prosecution would have to rely heavily on her testimony since the accused friends are the only witnesses and will support him.

My opinion from the beginning is that when the German approached a group of Thai males sitting on his motorcycle in the dark night, he should have had the wisdom to walk away and retrieve the bike the next morning. He was not a tourist, he was a bar owner and lived in Thailand long enough to know the danger of the Thai male mindset.

Hold on a minute here. i think you need to explain yourself a lot clearer here. What EXACTLY are you trying to say in this post of yours.

Are you saying its his own fault he was killed because it goes with the territory and he should have known better/

Are you saying it was his own stupid fault?

Are you saying that its so lethally dangerous here no foreigner should be foolish enough to say boo to a goose without fear of being murdered??

What are you trying to say?

How did the DNA tests come out? Oh... yeah... Thai perps.... never mind. "A rule that is not enforced ceases to be a rule". Seems to apply regarding murder of farangs in Thailand. Many Thais too, of course.

The DNA does not prove murder in this instance.

It simply identifies the weapon that was used to stab the German.

There could be a reasonable explanation why the weapon needed to be used.

Self-defense.

How did the DNA tests come out? Oh... yeah... Thai perps.... never mind. "A rule that is not enforced ceases to be a rule". Seems to apply regarding murder of farangs in Thailand. Many Thais too, of course.

Self-defense.

Yeah, right. There were only five of them and the guy was unarmed. So stabbing him was more than justified.

Hate to say it mate, but your defense of any Thai accused of any crime, borders on delusion. Keep it up if you want, it's good to have alternative opinions aired, but you've reached the point of making yourself look a bit silly, and it reduces the effect of any valid points you might try to make.

I am always baffled at how easily Thai people in general resort to murderous violence,especially since they are supposed to be non-violent Buddhists,we see these murders so many times.Young people, who have no fear of murdering someone or inflicting very grave wounds ,even on other Thais.Perhaps it is because they are eating so much flesh,against the rules of non-violence AHIMSA. Of course the young people are following a pattern demonstrated by their elders but still it is quite shocking that THais in general can so easily kill another human being.

Don't be so critical. A couple of thousand years ago everybody was so violent.

Self-defense.

Yeah, right. There were only five of them and the guy was unarmed. So stabbing him was more than justified.

Hate to say it mate, but your defense of any Thai accused of any crime, borders on delusion. Keep it up if you want, it's good to have alternative opinions aired, but you've reached the point of making yourself look a bit silly, and it reduces the effect of any valid points you might try to make.

Simple fact:

DNA does NOT equate to murder.

I provided an example of just such an instance. In this case, DNA only identifies the discovered weapon was the weapon used to stab the German. The prosecution must build the case as to why the stabbing was murder. Thats the way the Judicial system works most places amigo.

The only silly thing here is guys like you not thinking before you post.

Silly but all too common on TVF.

1. Some do not have any value on life itself, a lack of education is my guess.

2.The majority of time they can get away with such heinous crimes because either they have connections within the RTP itself or connections within the big and rich families.

Self-defense.

Please answer my questions in post #22. I'm sure i'm not the only one that would like you to clarify exactly what you mean. Thankyou

Archived