Suspects in the murder of a 46 year old German man in Samui could walk free on Tuesday

webfact

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite the evidence of the suspects' confession and the murder weapon, it is clearly not believable that Thai people could have committed a violent crime of this nature against a foreign tourist. It is therefore logical that the suspects should be released without charge.

Unfortunately it is possible that the German tabloids will fail to grasp this perfect logic and might run stories detrimental to to Thai tourist arrivals from German, a rather important market. The fact that it is so easy to get murdered in Thailand for no reason at all should be a good enough reason for them not to come anyway, even if the country did have a functioning justice system.

Guess I'll reserve judgement another twenty-four hours, but it seems they have more evidence on these THAI kids, and might be setting them loose, than they have on the two kids from Myanmar, who are the accused in an "air tight" case.

One of the suspects said Mr. Volker berated the group for sitting on his motorcycle in the parking lot of a nightclub, Pol.Col. Satit said. The suspects confessed to punching and stabbing him in the neck after the argument escalated, the officer said.

why set them loose when they confessed already

Just find the names of the accussed and find out if they are originally from Samui or are they a few lads from Surat or from somewhere else. Most likely they are local boys and as everyone knows on the islands down south; the local boys do what they want! Plain and simple. They have protection from the highest cops as they are all related to each other. It's always been like this, since I started coming back in '98

Thai justice 101

Murder a farang is ok if you are thai and the case does not get high profile attention. Example, this case.

Murder a couple of faring is ok if you are Thai, wealthy and powerful, even if the case is high profile. Example koh tao

Murder a police officer is ok if you are thai and super wealthy, example coked up ferrari driving red bull heir.

Be guilty of existing as a migrant worker from myanmar on the same island as any crime scene and you're looking at death the penalty

I am always baffled at how easily Thai people in general resort to murderous violence,especially since they are supposed to be non-violent Buddhists,we see these murders so many times.Young people, who have no fear of murdering someone or inflicting very grave wounds ,even on other Thais.Perhaps it is because they are eating so much flesh,against the rules of non-violence AHIMSA. Of course the young people are following a pattern demonstrated by their elders but still it is quite shocking that THais in general can so easily kill another human being.

I keep reading this 'Thai people are Buddhist' when referencing how so many go against Buddhist principles. They aren't Buddhist they are Buddhist/Animists, the same as the Balinese are Hindu/Animists. You only need look at their amulets, spirit houses, blessing of bloody cars by monks, gathering of anything which might represent a lottery number from the underside of a frog to the number plate car of a recent accident. 'Lucky days', 'numbers', constant changing of names to 'luckier' ones. Ever wondered why they change their cell numbers so much? Because they want a 'luckier' one. Spirit women living in banana trees, dried feotuses, and on and on. The Buddhist bit's just for show huh.png

PS The slaughtering of animals for food is delegated to some other b4st4rd who must make up a lot of merit in the form of sticky rice and red Fanta offerings every day blink.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Guess I'll reserve judgement another twenty-four hours, but it seems they have more evidence on these THAI kids, and might be setting them loose, than they have on the two kids from Myanmar, who are the accused in an "air tight" case.

One of the suspects said Mr. Volker berated the group for sitting on his motorcycle in the parking lot of a nightclub, Pol.Col. Satit said. The suspects confessed to punching and stabbing him in the neck after the argument escalated, the officer said.

They are Thais so i guess 500 bath fine and a slap on the wrist will be the punishment for murdering a German. Seems to me all the islands in south Thailand is crowded with mafia who is untouchable.

I am always baffled at how easily Thai people in general resort to murderous violence,especially since they are supposed to be non-violent Buddhists,we see these murders so many times.Young people, who have no fear of murdering someone or inflicting very grave wounds ,even on other Thais.Perhaps it is because they are eating so much flesh,against the rules of non-violence AHIMSA. Of course the young people are following a pattern demonstrated by their elders but still it is quite shocking that THais in general can so easily kill another human being.

I keep reading this 'Thai people are Buddhist' when referencing how so many go against Buddhist principles. They aren't Buddhist they are Buddhist/Animists, the same as the Balinese are Hindu/Animists. You only need look at their amulets, spirit houses, blessing of bloody cars by monks, gathering of anything which might represent a lottery number from the underside of a frog to the number plate car of a recent accident. 'Lucky days', 'numbers', constant changing of names to 'luckier' ones. Ever wondered why they change their cell numbers so much? Because they want a 'luckier' one. Spirit women living in banana trees, dried feotuses, and on and on. The Buddhist bit's just for show huh.png

PS The slaughtering of animals for food is delegated to some other b4st4rd who must make up a lot of merit in the form of sticky rice and red Fanta offerings every day blink.png

Funny post but I don't know one Thai who has changed their cell number in 3 years--even when they change Carriers.

I guess they already have lucky numbers, eh?

How did the DNA tests come out? Oh... yeah... Thai perps.... never mind. "A rule that is not enforced ceases to be a rule". Seems to apply regarding murder of farangs in Thailand. Many Thais too, of course.

The DNA does not prove murder in this instance.

It simply identifies the weapon that was used to stab the German.

There could be a reasonable explanation why the weapon needed to be used.

Self-defense.

Yeah, right. There were only five of them and the guy was unarmed. So stabbing him was more than justified.

Hate to say it mate, but your defense of any Thai accused of any crime, borders on delusion. Keep it up if you want, it's good to have alternative opinions aired, but you've reached the point of making yourself look a bit silly, and it reduces the effect of any valid points you might try to make.

Don't bother responding to ClutchClark. He is simply trolling to get you to respond.

He has similar pro-Thai views on the Koh Tao murders. He is about as anti-westerner as you can get.

Some members in this community don't really contribute to the discussion, they merely abuse the board for their own little mindless entertainment in trying to upset as many other members as they can.

Unfortunately every forum has them.

Poor Rust Bucket, still can't even grasp the obvious. One thing you can never be called is cerebral.

I am not pro-Thai. I am pro-Justice. And being pro-Justice makes me very much pro-Western.

You are wrong about my opinion of the KT murders. Completely and thoroughly wrong.

The only thing I take exception with is the lynchmob mentality that exists here amongst many of the duller tools.

Now if you had read my post #17, you would have read the following:

"My opinion from the beginning is that when the German approached a group of Thai males sitting on his motorcycle in the dark night, he should have had the wisdom to walk away and retrieve the bike the next morning. He was not a tourist, he was a bar owner and lived in Thailand long enough to know the danger of the Thai male mindset."

I realize it was a post of more than a few sentences and sufferers of short attention spans might have been distracted by dust particles so I have included it again here.

Please point out the pro-Thai part.

What is truly amazing about the cases of foreigners who are killed in Thailand is the total lack of involvement by their Embassies. 84 days to bring a charge is beyond comprehension when it took only hours in the Koh Tao case. Of course we must remember that where Thai's are the prime suspects and foreigners are the victims there is little chance of conviction against Thai's. I always used to believe that Embassies where there to protect their citizens rights. It seems that is now not the case and issuing warnings is now the order of the day. The "Thai Smile" is,by most people,seen as a friendly gesture and welcoming.Regrettably in many situations this is not the case and can lead to unwanted attention.Tourist and expats living here should bear in mind that Thailand is still an undeveloped country where the rule of law,if there is one, depends on who is administering it and can differ greatly from the way laws are perceived in their own countries. Another point to bear in mind is the fact that Thai's in the South of Thailand, including the Islands, are completely different to those in the middle and North. Southerners like to give you the impression that they like foreigners,when in truth they only want their money. I speak from experience,having lived on Koh Samui for four years. The best move I made was kissing the place good bye.smile.png

BaerBoxer,

Here are a couple of initial news articles.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/753359-german-bar-owner-murdered-on-koh-samui-island/

AND

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/753644-man-suspected-of-the-fatal-stabbing-of-german-bar-owner-taken-into-custody-koh-samui/

There is also an article that discusses the relationship between the German and the girl somewhere.

Don't bother responding to ClutchClark. He is simply trolling to get you to respond.

He has similar pro-Thai views on the Koh Tao murders. He is about as anti-westerner as you can get.

Some members in this community don't really contribute to the discussion, they merely abuse the board for their own little mindless entertainment in trying to upset as many other members as they can.

Unfortunately every forum has them.

The funny thing about RB is that he joined the forum two months after this German was killed and never bothered to educate himself about the history of events before coming on here to spout off his nonsense.

I have attached a couple of informative links for the benefit of those interested.

RustBucket, don't let the facts get in the way of you rants. Every forum needs mediocrity.

I've been going to Thai beach areas for 34 years. Recently, I took a change and went to Sri Lanka - much safer. Unless you want the sex-for-sale or backpacker beach drug parties found in Thailand, Sri Lanka is better in several ways. It has more wildlife, bigger waves, a bit lower cost and is a lot safer. Thais are simply too quick to extreme violence.

Yes I really think they are -----but---. Lets face it,if they can easily come up with evidence that suits them for any particular occasion,and if they can persuade people that they are doing everything right,or if they can use the law that somehow will put them in a good light,then I sometimes think that maybe they have just learned to be very clever.I also believe that the old saying "time is a good healer"plays a big part in all these episodes,and even if the police have made the odd "blue",it will be all forgotten in a few months time and the most important thing is that the tourists will have forgotten it too,and all the people will be back to normal and earning lots of money again. What a happy ending !!!!!

I don't agree with most of your reasoning,I'm afraid. First of all, I think that quite a few recent events have shown that they can come up with "evidence" that does the exact opposite of showing them in a good light.

It shows them as "trying to be very clever" which is not quite the same! Also the old saying "time is a good healer" does sometimes apply, but there is another saying, which I believe was used by Japanese POW's - "We can forgive, but never forget" (In any cases I know of, or heard of - neither applies) People still remember the Chiang Mai murder, the New Year's Eve murder on Koh Samui, and will remember them for many years to come, and even more so the recent murders on Koh Tao. The current tourist figures show it (although the inability to acquire travel insurance during martial law may have a bearing), but in general, prospective visitors will take one nor two things into account when choosing their holiday destination, and one of these is primarily safety. For instance, who in their right mind would take themselves and their family to a war zone for a holiday? I am not saying that Thailand is a war zone (yet!) but people do remember negative publicity, and the above, combined with the strong baht, (why?) the closing of the Airport by protestors, the violence and deaths in the streets of Bangkok (caused by both sides) during political protests, the seemingly never ending occasions where "connected" Thais seem to be able to attack and even kill people with impunity (Red Bull heir) - these all serve to make people inclined to think that Thailand (and not just Bangkok) is quickly becoming a destination that is not safe, and getting less so by the day. There are also various other compelling reasons why tourists are opting for other destinations, but they are "off topic" and mostly covered already, (corruption, the farang always wrong in an accident, different pricing for Thais and farangs everywhere, unreliability of information etc etc etc) but even if the visitor is prepared to accept the "covered already" topics, if they don't feel safe, they aren't going to come! My final point is that a few years ago, people used to return to Thailand year after year for their annual holidays, and recommend it to their friends. This doesn't happen much anymore for all of the above reasons , but at the risk of repeating myself, it's because they don't feel safe anymore. Rant ended! (Temporarily!)

In a word, it is because they do not fear the consequences. You must remember that as westerners we have been raised on a system of justice (even though sometimes it doesn't work) and these people have not.

Because we have been raised to fear the consequences we are not so quick to react. I have always believed that if people are on a level playing field then this will not happen. The playing field in Thailand will never be level until some Thais start disappearing after something happens to a farang. It doesn't take long for word to get passed around. Did anyone do anything about Capone until Ness?

In a word, it is because they do not fear the consequences. You must remember that as westerners we have been raised on a system of justice (even though sometimes it doesn't work) and these people have not.

Because we have been raised to fear the consequences we are not so quick to react. I have always believed that if people are on a level playing field then this will not happen. The playing field in Thailand will never be level until some Thais start disappearing after something happens to a farang. It doesn't take long for word to get passed around. Did anyone do anything about Capone until Ness?

Go to any inner city in the US and you will see this identical behavior of zero consideration of consequences--just 100% impulse.

Your theory holds true for certain criminal intent but it is not a safeguard against young males that are boozed and drugged up.

The US prison system is ample proof of that.

And if the case was reversed there would be a big difference in the prossercutions office

Go to any inner city in the US and you will see this identical behavior of zero consideration of consequences--just 100% impulse.

Your theory holds true for certain criminal intent but it is not a safeguard against young males that are boozed and drugged up.

But it does play a big part consequences, I know a few people that every weekend go out get pissed and stoned knowing that if they are caught with any small amount of drugs on them, it is just a slap on the wrist, but these same people when they visit Thailand keep a lower profile due to the consequences, because they know the severity involved and do not want any of that, but many Thai people have been brought up to believe you can buy your way out of most situations, and regards to hurting a farang, their belief is, well he or she are below us in our country, a shame but it is true, and the consequences reflect that

But it does play a big part consequences, I know a few people that every weekend go out get pissed and stoned knowing that if they are caught with any small amount of drugs on them, it is just a slap on the wrist, but these same people when they visit Thailand keep a lower profile due to the consequences, because they know the severity involved and do not want any of that, but many Thai people have been brought up to believe you can buy your way out of most situations, and regards to hurting a farang, their belief is, well he or she are below us in our country, a shame but it is true, and the consequences reflect that

Yes, in my post I indicated that consequences can have an influence with some people and some crimes.

But the prisons are quite jammed in the US and the US has consequences. Why are they jammed? Because not everyone thinks before they act. Who are the prisons most jammed with? Young men who were high or drunk.

Yes I really think they are -----but---. Lets face it,if they can easily come up with evidence that suits them for any particular occasion,and if they can persuade people that they are doing everything right,or if they can use the law that somehow will put them in a good light,then I sometimes think that maybe they have just learned to be very clever.I also believe that the old saying "time is a good healer"plays a big part in all these episodes,and even if the police have made the odd "blue",it will be all forgotten in a few months time and the most important thing is that the tourists will have forgotten it too,and all the people will be back to normal and earning lots of money again. What a happy ending !!!!!

I don't agree with most of your reasoning,I'm afraid. First of all, I think that quite a few recent events have shown that they can come up with "evidence" that does the exact opposite of showing them in a good light.

It shows them as "trying to be very clever" which is not quite the same! Also the old saying "time is a good healer" does sometimes apply, but there is another saying, which I believe was used by Japanese POW's - "We can forgive, but never forget" (In any cases I know of, or heard of - neither applies) People still remember the Chiang Mai murder, the New Year's Eve murder on Koh Samui, and will remember them for many years to come, and even more so the recent murders on Koh Tao. The current tourist figures show it (although the inability to acquire travel insurance during martial law may have a bearing), but in general, prospective visitors will take one nor two things into account when choosing their holiday destination, and one of these is primarily safety. For instance, who in their right mind would take themselves and their family to a war zone for a holiday? I am not saying that Thailand is a war zone (yet!) but people do remember negative publicity, and the above, combined with the strong baht, (why?) the closing of the Airport by protestors, the violence and deaths in the streets of Bangkok (caused by both sides) during political protests, the seemingly never ending occasions where "connected" Thais seem to be able to attack and even kill people with impunity (Red Bull heir) - these all serve to make people inclined to think that Thailand (and not just Bangkok) is quickly becoming a destination that is not safe, and getting less so by the day. There are also various other compelling reasons why tourists are opting for other destinations, but they are "off topic" and mostly covered already, (corruption, the farang always wrong in an accident, different pricing for Thais and farangs everywhere, unreliability of information etc etc etc) but even if the visitor is prepared to accept the "covered already" topics, if they don't feel safe, they aren't going to come! My final point is that a few years ago, people used to return to Thailand year after year for their annual holidays, and recommend it to their friends. This doesn't happen much anymore for all of the above reasons , but at the risk of repeating myself, it's because they don't feel safe anymore. Rant ended! (Temporarily!)

And a well put reply Sir

Good advertising for TAT, they want more quality tourists. But the tourist number is going down steadily. Why? Because other countries are more safe, for example Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia.

Thank you - agree 100% - you are confirming my points as stated in # 85

And is this not the same prosecutor's office? It is certainly in the same province.

EDIT: Illiterate spell-checker.

Actually it is not.

Koh Samui belongs to Surat Thani province but Koh Tao belongs to Chumphon province.

Archived