German man brutally attacked in Udon Thani by 'Koh Tao copycats'

webfact

A park in Udon early morning I thought would be one of the safest places in Thailand, I'm beginning to feel nowhere is safe. Very sad hope this poor man recovers, no one deserves this.

Early morning? What time was it? 1am to Dawn I would say is high risk in any city.....West or East............

..........Get a grip on yourselves................As cities go, Udon is a very tame and pleasant city .....U r misrepresenting the majority of Expats, Farangs, and the majority of young Thai people there....................This was just an isolated incident.

I wonder if the same senior officer who dealt with the Koh Tao deaths would say the same in this situation.

Quoted from BBC

On arriving the day after the murders, the senior police officer on the island assured us the culprit could not have been a Thai person. No Thai could possibly commit such a crime, he said, forgetting the equally ghastly murder of Welsh tourist Katherine Horton in 2006, by, it turned out, two Thai fishermen.

Just a thought.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29834046

A park in Udon early morning I thought would be one of the safest places in Thailand, I'm beginning to feel nowhere is safe. Very sad hope this poor man recovers, no one deserves this.

Early morning? What time was it? 1am to Dawn I would say is high risk in any city.....West or East............

..........Get a grip on yourselves................As cities go, Udon is a very tame and pleasant city .....U r misrepresenting the majority of Expats, Farangs, and the majority of young Thai people there....................This was just an isolated incident.

Read the report, he liked to watch the sun rise so 6.30-7am. As I said, Udon I thought would be one of the safest places in Thailand. Whose misrepresented anyone?, not me.

Udon is a crap hole and has only gotten worse with the increase of some very questionable foreigners as with other Thai cities. Korat is a good example. Looks like half of Pattaya crawled up there from the bars. Some toothless slobbering examples of human kind.

Thailand's economy is heavily dependent upon tourism. The latest government should come down hard on these <deleted> and let it be known tourists are to be welcomed and treated respectfully. If not, Thailand will become the agrarian society it once was and is still entrenched in.

Thailand would do just fine without mass tourism. Question: You think that perhaps the Thais should be treated respectfully ? Maybe that is the root of most of the problems.

Thailand's economy is heavily dependent upon tourism. The latest government should come down hard on these <deleted> and let it be known tourists are to be welcomed and treated respectfully. If not, Thailand will become the agrarian society it once was and is still entrenched in.

Jungle Jim, I don't know if that is the answer. I treat everyone with respect. I don't know how others treat people.

I think there are scumbags everywhere you go. Don't kid yourself about doing just fine without tourism. Can't rely on rice exports to support the economy.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 11/17/2014 at 3:03 PM, Alwyn said:

Thailand is becoming less of a place to put on the travel list now. I wonder when stats will be forthcoming on just how dangerous Thailand is? I don't mean for foreign travellers but in general..

Don't worry, figures are up and Chinese people are flooding the country, everything is fine. Mai bpen rai 

16 hours ago, ExpatLife said:

Don't worry, figures are up and Chinese people are flooding the country, everything is fine. Mai bpen rai 

On my recent trip to Bangkok I noticed WAY more international folks than 5-10 years ago, particularly East Asians and Arabs -- but also plenty of farang.

On 11/17/2014 at 2:50 PM, slapout said:

The little rascals have way too much free time to set around drinking and planning assults on fellow man. Use them as fish bait and target practice while towed behind a speed boat over the coral reefs.

Why damage the coral, it's important.

Note to self.

Check date of OP before posting.

Another 5 year old thread.

Edited by overherebc
  • Haha 1

On 11/17/2014 at 3:00 PM, Orac said:

Maybe it is the translation but the police passing it off as a 'typical case of youthful recklessness ' when the victim only has a 50 percent chance of survival seems a bit of an understatement.

It's always passed off when the victim is a foreigner and when foreigners fight back in self defence they are charged with fighting. These types of attacks do absolutely nothing for the image of Thailand and the tourism industry here. How many times do we read about bouncers, taxi and tuk tuk drivers ganging up on one tourist and it's passed off as a "misunderstanding". It's all over YouTube and video doesn't lie. A serious wake-up call needs to be given and people stop coming here and spend their money elsewhere where they are more welcome and protected!!!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

It's always passed off when the victim is a foreigner and when foreigners fight back in self defence they are charged with fighting. These types of attacks do absolutely nothing for the image of Thailand and the tourism industry here. How many times do we read about bouncers, taxi and tuk tuk drivers ganging up on one tourist and it's passed off as a "misunderstanding". It's all over YouTube and video doesn't lie. A serious wake-up call needs to be given and people stop coming here and spend their money elsewhere where they are more welcome and protected!!!

I don't think that there is any doubt that these sorts of events, (whilst they are rare), and the somewhat lackadaisical official response to them is one of the  significant reason for the drop in tourist figures.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2014 at 3:00 PM, Orac said:

Maybe it is the translation but the police passing it off as a 'typical case of youthful recklessness ' when the victim only has a 50 percent chance of survival seems a bit of an understatement.

I believe anywhere else, it could be construed as attempted murder or at least aggravated assault.  

What happened to the victim? I wonder if he became one the foreigners in government hospitals that the junta are whining about because of a few measly dollars of unpaid bills..together with the road accident victims, people in comas after being drugged or posioned by fumes in their hotel rooms, or just beaten half to death by bouncers in some bangkok disco? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

if he dies they should receive a death sentence just as the burmese two did but being thai they will probably get away with it, hopefully though the poor man survives and these criminals are locked up for a very long time

• Like 1