German man brutally attacked in Udon Thani by 'Koh Tao copycats'

webfact

Shocking! I hope this poor fella does recover.

It amazes me after 10 years in Cambodia how rife this violence is here.

If this happened in Cambodia, and it has, the Cops would be all over it. Do not attack tourists for the sake of them being foreign. Hence it is a rare occurrence.

The stupidity of these attacks surely has to be addressed in a normal human manner.

IE: Punishment for crimes committed.

Consequences in the west??? Not much in Canada. Regular muggings in Parts of Canada. Bleading hearts bleating poor childhood, disadvantaged, etc... ... ... Jails with revolving doors. That might get a 5 year sentence in Alberta for a out on parole offender who would only have to serve ONE THIRD of his sentence... A much higher percentage of thefts involve violence in Canada than here. Some parts of the west perhaps.

I hope the German gentleman recovers soon and doesn't die.

Also hope these scum of the earth go to prison for a very long time.

Another story of some little cowards living amongst us.

Little cowards for sure 100% as far as going to prison, for a longtime I doubt it very much, this is why such BS crimes happen

A park in Udon early morning I thought would be one of the safest places in Thailand, I'm beginning to feel nowhere is safe. Very sad hope this poor man recovers, no one deserves this.

A lot of poor young males hate Farangs that live here all year around as they are spoiling the women and they are to poor to complete.

Here it will be your country if old man from a foreign country to wave money at the women you want to go with

The German was 25 and if you think old men get the women that young Thai men want then you are mistaken. Wealth is an issue I will admit.

Wow! Incredible.

A nasty and vicious attack from the sounds of this and totally unprovoked.

I really do hope the German guy does survive with his faculties and abilities intact.

These 3 need some severe punishment to prevent more copycat attacks.

Thank god it doesn't happen in the west...unprovoked attacks by young thugs on defenceless victims. Almost unheard of eh?

I never said that. Those are your words produced from where?

If you want to reply to my post reply to what I said, not what you think it says.

Re: sandals.

I wear sandals because they're comfortable. I'm not gonna wear tennis shoes out of fear of having to run from a gang of Thais any more than I'm gonna wear full leathers when driving to the 7/11 on my Honda Wave. Nothing idiotic about it.

Edited by mynameisphil
  • Like 1

Not blaming the victim. Did you ever stop to think that the Thais are getting sick and tired of drunk and obnoxious foreigners ? I sure am. I do just fine here thank you very much. After twenty years never had a single problem.giggle.gif

I would guess with your social skills very few people pay any attention or care.

This has nothing to do with people being drunk or obnoxious, it's just outright thuggery.

99.9999 percent of my friends are Thai i avoid foreigners because most are trouble.

Well sure it jumps to my mind the question: where do you live?

I have a good job in Bkk, I have the luck to know many great people, foreigners and Thais.

I know which places to avoid if I don't want to have anything to do with drunk and obnoxious people...

Sure, in the years I came to know some despicable subject, but sure too I did not want to crack his head open with a hoe...

You are blaming on the foreigners commenting a case where the foreigner had been assaulted for be... foreigner. Assaulters wanted to imitated their heroes: killers on Koh Tao. Nothing much to dig here.

P.s. A little advice: you should put your post AFTER quoting, not before.

• Like 1

I hope the German gentleman recovers soon and doesn't die.

Also hope these scum of the earth go to prison for a very long time.

Another story of some little cowards living amongst us.

Little cowards for sure 100% as far as going to prison, for a longtime I doubt it very much, this is why such BS crimes happen

These guys didn't have two brain cells between the three of them to rub together.

They were living completely in the present and even the concept of getting caught had not been considered...let alone penalty.

They likely brought the hoe back home with them.

• Like 1

Wow! Incredible.

A nasty and vicious attack from the sounds of this and totally unprovoked.

I really do hope the German guy does survive with his faculties and abilities intact.

These 3 need some severe punishment to prevent more copycat attacks.

Thank god it doesn't happen in the west...unprovoked attacks by young thugs on defenceless victims. Almost unheard of eh?

I agree with the point you are making.......(Hope the farangs on here who dont get irony and sarcasm will see your point)

We are all out of control to a degree during our teenage years when our hormones are so messed up; especially when drink, drugs, and gang culture are added to the mix. When I think back to my misspent city youth, It really is a lottery who survives these years. This sort of violence, thought extreme I admit, could flare up in the early hours of the morning in any UK city on a Friday or Saturday night. Personally, at 62, I feel vulnerable and am on high alert anywhere at this time when there are groups of young teenage males about and I try to give them a wide berth. But I must say that Ive always found the Thai teenagers cruising on their motorbikes or hanging out in groups when Im going home alone late at night in the Esaan area pretty friendly. Ive never detected any menace.

But given the total lack of discipline and freedom most Thai kids get at home Im actually surprised this sort of thing doesnt occur more in Thailand. Especially, as others have pointed out, the large numbers of teenagers out and about. I think it must be the non harming and non killing teaching of Buddhism which permeates traditional Thai culture that prevents it. Whatever it is Im grateful for it and hope that this assault is not a sign of things to come.

• Like 1

Very sad indeed. Thinking about the probable brain injuries I am not even sure if I should wish for his survival.

But one little bit of positive in this terrible terrible event:

Koh Tao stays in the headlines - which it should until the case is handled properly and the real perps get their deserved punishment

I am afraid the spoiled name of this islands is slowly dropping out of focus

I'm beginning to see the sense of the RTP in avoiding sensationalising murders (except of course the Koh Tao media feeding frenzy) because they are well aware of what drunken young Thai men are capable of in showing off to their peer group how tough they are. At a fairground in Pattaya the officials and police ignore the gang fights, just wait until morning and drag off the bodies to the hospital.

There could be more such incidents...a big worry.

Indeed. The mind boggles. Was it totally random? Is the victim a decent looking fellow, or a tattooed meat-head. Can't help wondering that there is more to this story, and may well come to light in the near future.

Please don't try and blame the victim. Even if it makes you feel safer that it could never happen to you. These guys were carrying a hoe around. You think they didn't intend to do anything bad and just stumbled across the hoe at the same time as they saw the foreigner in the park? Clearly a case of a premeditated attack.

I really hope the German recovers without permanent disability and the courts lock these guys up for a very long time. I fear the punishment will depend on whether the foreign press get hold of this.

The article clearly stated they were carrying the hoe for protection against rival groups (gangs).

The question asked by Techikall was a reasonable one and gave no indication of blaming the victim.

I am curious if the victim had been drinking with his two friends.

so these two lads who tried to smash a young Germans head in with a hoe would not stoop so

low as to actually lie about the reason they were carrying the hoe ?

and where are you trying to go with whether the German tourist had had a drink or not

or are you trying to emulate your hero the coup leader/general/pm or puppet and intend to dispense some sage advice about bikini sorry drinking while on holiday. unprovoked means just that.

• Like 2

I came to live here, in Udon Thani, from Egypt. Many folks used to worry about my safety there. Well I'll tell you for free. I'm beginning to think I was a damn sight safer back there! When's the next flight out to Cairo!!!

• Like 1

Udon Thani sad.png I really thought this place is safer. I mean far away from these Tourist things where all the bad things happens to foreigners...

A few weeks back I convinced a friend to come a few days to Udon Thani. He is coming to thailand for many years and always thought it will be boring so it tooks many years until I finally could bring him. He was absolutley surprised about Udon Thani and really liked it there also wants to spend Songkran with me at least 1 day in Udon. Sure he will read this news and now I am not sure he wants to come again. sad.png

Edited by SoFarAndNear

Please don't try and blame the victim. Even if it makes you feel safer that it could never happen to you. These guys were carrying a hoe around. You think they didn't intend to do anything bad and just stumbled across the hoe at the same time as they saw the foreigner in the park? Clearly a case of a premeditated attack.

I really hope the German recovers without permanent disability and the courts lock these guys up for a very long time. I fear the punishment will depend on whether the foreign press get hold of this.

The article clearly stated they were carrying the hoe for protection against rival groups (gangs).

The question asked by Techikall was a reasonable one and gave no indication of blaming the victim.

I am curious if the victim had been drinking with his two friends.

so these two lads who tried to smash a young Germans head in with a hoe would not stoop so

low as to actually lie about the reason they were carrying the hoe ?

and where are you trying to go with whether the German tourist had had a drink or not

or are you trying to emulate your hero the coup leader/general/pm or puppet and intend to dispense some sage advice about bikini sorry drinking while on holiday. unprovoked means just that.

Hey Sherlock, why exactly do they have to lie about their reason for carrying a hoe? They have already admitted to the crime and the fact it was an unprovoked attack. (Get that gray matter working, eh.)

BTW, Thai youth carry all sorts of weapons all the time--from penguns to big guns and from icepicks to machetes. A hoe is a darned good weapon in a fight on motorbikes because it offers "reach".

As for asking about alcohol consumption, where I am going is to try and gather details so I can become well-informed.

For instance, had the young man been out drinking all night or had he just woken up to watch the sunrise? Knowing this can give an intelligent person insight into how well he may have been able to fend off the attackers and can provide clues into how seriously his injuries are.

But like I said, those are the types of questioned intelligent readers find useful so its not surprising it was lost on you.

Edited by ClutchClark

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You've got to be worried if you happen to be a Burmese worker living in the area.

Why exactly?

Did you read the story before posting this?

They Police have arrested 3 THAI men who have CONFESSED to the crime.

I beleive this might be an example of sarcasm?

Because it has been alleged 2 Burmese have been wrongly accused of the Koh Tao murders, in case you weren't paying attention.

Yes I am aware of the Kao Tao murders thankyou

I have been paying attention, I was in particular paying attention to the part of the story that states that 3 Thai man had been arrested and confessed to this crime

So again why would the Burmese in the area be worried?

1. 3 reasonably sized Thai guys

2. The inherent hatred is surfacing too often these days

I have thought about this so much for years. Thai parents do not chastise their kids when kids disrespect or unsult fatangs..even when they say stuff in Thai in front of a farang. The parent says nothing and in that regard just condone any ridiculing of westerners. I seen it myself when i used to teach in Bangkok years ago.

I really believe the rich thais ( ie. So called smart ones) and powerful people have let this attitude of hate keep growing.

and more so,blaming farangs for everything bad that happens in Thailand

its a tool of the rich.. Blame the farang for eveything and somehow this is the reason they are poor and farang are so rich

good for them since they will never know in fact it is the rich thai who they all love and respect that have been supressing,duping,abusing them for ages.

keep them stupid! Even the laws do facililitate this

And so you 'thought about this so much for years', did you not?

Yet it only takes seconds to discern your own contribution to the problem,

to which you seem thoroughly blind.

It is you yourself who's ridiculing Westeners and treating them as a separate

species.

In your allegedly well-thought-out post, you apply the word 'people' to Thais

alone.

For those who could be referred to as whites/white people, Caucasians/

Caucasian people, Westeners/Western people, asf, you have but one

expression: the 'farang', ... farang this, farang that, farang here, farang

over there.

You, a foreigner, are as much a problem as the worst amongst the Thais.

How can one expect the Thais to treat Westeners with propriety when Westeners

themselves buy into their BS? when Westeners themselves behave in so

undignified a manner? when Westeners themselves are sending back the

message that 'yup, you Thai "people" are right: we the farang are worthless

sub-humans'.

Tzar.

Come back when you are intelligent enough to doubt.

Couple of weeks ago something happened which i have been trying to block out my mind, Around 11pm on thursday night i was working downstairs when someone started throwing beer bottles at the door,

shards of glass came through but most stayed outside...shop house,

I jumped up and shouted, seen the shadow of the bottle thrower run away so i got back to my work deciding to clear the broken glass outside in the morning,

10-15 minutes later there was a guy no tshirt- barefoot standing in the shards of glass repeatedly shouting that he,s not afraid of me, for a moment i thought to open the door but then got the feeling maybe 2-3 more were waiting each side with weapons so the door stayed locked,

i called the local rtp but they did not show up,

I should add that i have never had a problem with people around here and have really no idea who this idiot was.

• Like 1