Nong Hoi Neighborhood

Larry

Hi,

My fiance just signed a lease for a house near the Nong Hoi market. How is it around there? Does anyone on the forum live there? What kind of services and restaurants are there? Any veggie restaurants?

THANKS

Ha, don't laugh at the Farang Cemetary. It's actually the only place in Thailand where you can legally own a piece of land. It's only 1 by 2 meters, but still you actually do own it. :o

Anyway: Nong Hoi. Nice traditional area. Nice big trees on the Lamphun road. Not too far from the center. There's blue songthaews going into town coming from Lamphun. Sizable market. The HUGE Sheraton hotel is there. (Used to be called Westin until recently). Overall I good area I think. Not really any restaurants worth mentioning right there, but in Chiang Mai it takes only a couple of minutes to go anywhere. Oh yes, Nang Nual and Le Coq d'Or are there. One is the pricey Chinese-Seafood place of Pattaya fame that also does a Japanese buffet, and the other is a VERY stuck-up French restaurant, all waiters in tuxido and all.

Good area. Very Chiang Mai. Beware of flooding before you buy. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

• Like 1

Know it's not Veggie, but one of CM's best Khao Soi restaurants is almost opposite Nang Nual. Best advice is to miss Nang Nual over priced and lousy quality food.

Sheraton, ex Westin has one of CM's best Chinese restaurants on the second floor. Surprisingly not as expensive as you might expect, being in a top class hotel.

A very good Esarn side-of-the-road eatery is close to Nong Hoi almost opposite the main Police station approx 1Km out towards Lampang. Turn left past the police station and it is about 50-100 meters past on the RHS.

Enjoy

Guest IT Manager
Ha, don't laugh at the Farang Cemetary. It's actually the only place in Thailand where you can legally own a piece of land. It's only 1 by 2 meters, but still you actually do own it. :o

Anyway: Nong Hoi. Nice traditional area. Nice big trees on the Lamphun road. Not too far from the center. There's blue songthaews going into town coming from Lamphun. Sizable market. The HUGE Sheraton hotel is there. (Used to be called Westin until recently). Overall I good area I think. Not really any restaurants worth mentioning right there, but in Chiang Mai it takes only a couple of minutes to go anywhere. Oh yes, Nang Nual and Le Coq d'Or are there. One is the pricey Chinese-Seafood place of Pattaya fame that also does a Japanese buffet, and the other is a VERY stuck-up French restaurant, all waiters in tuxido and all.

Good area. Very Chiang Mai. Beware of flooding before you buy. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

What about that seafood place off the main street? What about Swai Riang? What about Pii Khun Chai?

Bloody excellent restaurants.

Good bus service. A lot of those xtian missionaries so they can feel togetherness and spiritual harmony.

Not bad if you like that style of living.

> What about that seafood place off the main street?

Would that be Nang Nual??? If not then I'm VERY interested in directions to the place!! I mostly go to Similan Seafood on Fa Ham road these days.

> What about Swai Riang?

Swai Riang was dead for a long time. I went there a lot perhaps 4-5 years ago. Then it kind of deteriorated. But now with the new middle ring road, they have an entrance on that road so it doesn't involve going through a maze of sois anymore. :o (Which for me actually was part of the experience.. :D

But is the Sawai Riang still called Nong Hoi? When thinking of Nong Hoi I mostly think about the market and intersection with Aom Muang. But it probably extends further south I suppose.

> What about Pii Khun Chai?

Don't know it? Be interested to try though?

Cheers,

Chanchao

Would that be Nang Nual??? If not then I'm VERY interested in directions to the place!! I mostly go to Similan Seafood on Fa Ham road these days.

Three ways to get there (maybe more):

1) Heading south on the tree road. Careen right just past the Sheraton, but before nong hoi. It'll be on your right before the golden cock.

2) Heading north on the tree road. cross mahi don, then just after the intersection make the first immediate left without killing any motorcyclists. Look for golden cock sign. When that road dead ends make a right it'll be on your left.

3) Of mahi don heading east make a left BEFORE the tree road. After Chang Klang. It'll be on the left after the golden cock. Look for the guys with the uniforms and whistles.

By the way, the Cock D' Or is ab fab with a price to match.

Aloha!a

PS: Crap, I just realized that these are directions to Nang Nual. Sorry, my bad!

Guest IT Manager
Swai Riang was dead for a long time. I went there a lot perhaps 4-5 years ago. Then it kind of deteriorated. But now with the new middle ring road, they have an entrance on that road so it doesn't involve going through a maze of sois anymore. :o (Which for me actually was part of the experience.. :D

But is the Sawai Riang still called Nong Hoi? When thinking of Nong Hoi I mostly think about the market and intersection with Aom Muang. But it probably extends further south I suppose.

> What about Pii Khun Chai?

Don't know it? Be interested to try though?

Cheers,

Chanchao

It's actually in Nong Phueung, the nextvillage, but about maybe 1.5 km's from Swai Riang Turn Off on the Tree Road.

Keep going past the Swai Riang and then when you get to the PTT look out for the Police Box at the entrance to Nam Pheung Village. The restaurant is directly opposite.

Very Lanna, great food, staff are good owner speaks excellent English and is a very good host.