What's the beach deckchair/umbrella situation like?

wellred

Supposed to be spending a few weeks in Phuket in the new year but all this umbrella nonsense has got me thinking to maybe try somewhere else. Has the same stance been taken on Koh samui with regards to deckchairs and umbrellas? Specifically I am interested in lamai.

Thanks

Samui never had this situation, as the resorts often commandeer the part of the beach in front of their resort. If you can find a place outside of this to settle, there is no problem. If you would like to use the chairs and umbrellas of a resort, you can usually do this by ordering refreshments.

Of course some people take advantage of this by ordering a single bottle of water between many people. You know who you are.

• Like 1

There are no beach chair / umbrella vendors on Samui, hence no problem in this regard. As someone already said many resorts have a row or two of beachchairs and unbrellas on the beach as an extention of their resort, which seems to give a good balance, keeping most of the beach clear yet providing chairs and shade for those who want that.

These are free for resort guests and usually available for the general public provided one buys drinks or food from the resort's restaurant (served on the beach).

I Lamai some of the small beachfront restaurants at the public beach entrance (mid of the bay, mid to little South in Lamai Beach city) have chairs, sun chairs and umbrellas, probably to use if your order something/refreshments from the restaurant. Normally not too crowded there (I presume, been there many (really many-many) times, never seen many people but plenty of emty chairs; however not living in Lamai, apart from some months a few years ago, so not coming daily)... wink.png

There are no beach chair / umbrella vendors on Samui, hence no problem in this regard. As someone already said many resorts have a row or two of beachchairs and unbrellas on the beach as an extention of their resort, which seems to give a good balance, keeping most of the beach clear yet providing chairs and shade for those who want that.

These are free for resort guests and usually available for the general public provided one buys drinks or food from the resort's restaurant (served on the beach).

Resort beach chairs availability for non-staying guests may depend on the number of starts the resort has – know of at least one five-star resort that charge 1,500 baht a day for “using their beach” when not having a room at the resort.

Jeez, that's expensive!! And i bet they charge over the top prices for a beer too!!!

I guess they do that to keep the "riff raff" out .... but given there are plenty of beaches around Samui, with bars or restaurants or nothing at all (take your own) ... one does not need to worry ....

A towel on the sand does it for me! wink.png

• Like 2

Jeez, that's expensive!! And i bet they charge over the top prices for a beer too!!!

I guess they do that to keep the "riff raff" out .... but given there are plenty of beaches around Samui, with bars or restaurants or nothing at all (take your own) ... one does not need to worry ....

At main Chaweng beach, you will be refused access to beach chairs everywhere, if you don't stay at the resort !!! Years ago you could get a chair if you bought food or refreshments but it's not possible anymore! Only options is Ark Bar but their mattresses are tooooooo thin but they have a great variation of foods and beverages just a shame the DJs think they get better as louder they play during the evenings. I spend many hours at Ark Bar during many years, but now the music is so loud every night that it's not possible to have a normal conversation anymore..

Edited by Master of the court
  • Like 1

»I guess they do that to keep the "riff raff" out…«
Exactly Jimmy, overpriced beers, fruit shakes and lunch – for us “ordinary” folks – those who can afford to stay there, don’t care when paying 20k baht and way up a day for “bed & breakfast”, they care about “privacy”... wink.png
As my friend, who introduced me to Samui, told me – we stayed in some bamboo backpacker first row beachfront huts at Maenam Beach for 300 baht a day including free beach chairs - »It’s the same beach, sand, sea and view they pay 1000$ for next door at Santibury...!
Wrong, their beachfront huts were 1,990$... whistling.gif

»I guess they do that to keep the "riff raff" out…«
Exactly Jimmy, overpriced beers, fruit shakes and lunch – for us “ordinary” folks – those who can afford to stay there, don’t care when paying 20k baht and way up a day for “bed & breakfast”, they care about “privacy”... wink.png
As my friend, who introduced me to Samui, told me – we stayed in some bamboo backpacker first row beachfront huts at Maenam Beach for 300 baht a day including free beach chairs - »It’s the same beach, sand, sea and view they pay 1000$ for next door at Santibury...!
Wrong, their beachfront huts were 1,990$... whistling.gif

God forbid any rif raff... w00t.gif

Santi buri is closed for a few months they having a total make over, I hear too, their name will change... so no problems using the beach in front of them at the moment wink.png

The few beach vendors sell just about anything... it's pretty slow for them right now!

I believe there are still a few places along Maenam beach that still have huts in the 300 to 400 baht range.... it's a very long beach with all price ranges... some out off this world!

As you say, the better ones can be right next door to the cheap ones!

• Like 1