Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

I emailed VFS to make an appointment and they havent replied, any idea on how long we have to wait for a reply?

i emailed VFS at 83o this morning and got a reply at 11 45.got an appointment for june 9th

Did you put 9 June as a preference? That's 6 weeks away.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I emailed VFS to make an appointment and they havent replied, any idea on how long we have to wait for a reply?

i emailed VFS at 83o this morning and got a reply at 11 45.got an appointment for june 9th

Did you put 9 June as a preference? That's 6 weeks away.

yes i wanted that day

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

Today i went to the Trendy passport office to ask some questions, when the lift door opened the complete area was jam packed and it was about four rows deep at the reception. I then thought FTS and left the building.

Just checking if anyone who has two British passports has applied to renew one of their passports. When i had one of my two passports renewed at Hong Kong they asked for a copy of a letter from my employer why i need to have two passports and all was good.

After checking the previous posts here the passport staff are not very switched on so it would be interesting to hear from another person who has went through this application.

Today i went to the Trendy passport office to ask some questions, when the lift door opened the complete area was jam packed and it was about four rows deep at the reception. I then thought FTS and left the building.

Just checking if anyone who has two British passports has applied to renew one of their passports. When i had one of my two passports renewed at Hong Kong they asked for a copy of a letter from my employer why i need to have two passports and all was good.

After checking the previous posts here the passport staff are not very switched on so it would be interesting to hear from another person who has went through this application.

Hi Isan Ferang.

I was at Trendy yesterday May 2nd too, 3.00pm appointment, It was as you say jam packed, seems they were double booked as the Office was newly opened they actually made appointments for May 1st, someone not realizing the 1st of May was a holiday and the VFS Offices would be closed.

We did however wait, they were 1 hour behind with appointments.

I have no Idea about your question with the 2 passport issues, but would like to add a few things here for the benefit of any TV members doing a renewal.

The Trendy Building is about 100m down Soi 13 on your right when entering from Sukhumvit Rd.

Car parking is available in the building, just drive past the main Trendy entry and it is on your right (the parking attendant will issue you a ticket, take it with you) .

There is photocopy and Photo office on your right as you enter the Lobby from Soi 13.

Make sure you copy every page of the Passport from cover to cover, even the back page with the micro chip, in colour.

For supporting documents proof of applicants address, table "A" they did accept a Translation of Thai ID card from Thai to English showing the address of the applicant, in this case both applicants were dual nationals.

​I wouldn't recommend turning up without an appointment as they did have a list and I had to point out our time and place on the list I did also take a printout of the email confirming the appointment date and time. Toilets are available on the 28th floor, no photocopy machine though. The lady at desk 11 was very helpful and obviously over worked, we were told to expect about 4-5 weeks before the passport would be back at Trendy, then they will call or e-mail to come and pick up, bringing the expiring Passport as proof of ID.

When your done with the process, pop down to the ground floor to Tom and Toms Coffee shop, de-stress and have a nice cuppa, get the cashier at Tom & Tom's to stamp your parking ticket and that was enough to satisfy the parking attendant, " free". This was our experience.

I hope its not that chaotic every day! just bear in mind the same Office does, PP renewals for the UK, Visas to UK, and Visas for Australia too, there were well over 100 persons inside beyond security.

Now the wait to see if anything else is required from the processing dept in the UK.

Regards BW.

They've had my application in Liverpool for 8 weeks now. Chin up old chap. :-(

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by watso63
  • Like 2

It is about a month since I visited VFS and my card payment was processed on 16th April.

I do not expect anything until at least until the end of May.

Next consideration is expiry of my permission to say on 19th June.

• Like 1

Perhaps somebody should put pressure on the embassy if they have to wait an excessive amount of time to get a new passport. Ask them to give you a letter to take to immigration to apply for the following extension allowed in police order 777/2551.

2.28 In the case of necessity, with certification or request made by an embassy or consulate:

(1) In the case of necessity, each permission shall be granted for no more than 30 days of stay.

(2) For training only, each permission shall be granted for no more than 90 days of stay.

(1) Must have been confirmed and requested by the embassy or consulate.
(2) In the case of training, said alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).
  • Like 1

Perhaps somebody should put pressure on the embassy if they have to wait an excessive amount of time to get a new passport. Ask them to give you a letter to take to immigration to apply for the following extension allowed in police order 777/2551.

2.28 In the case of necessity, with certification or request made by an embassy or consulate:

(1) In the case of necessity, each permission shall be granted for no more than 30 days of stay.

(2) For training only, each permission shall be granted for no more than 90 days of stay.

(2) In the case of training, said alien must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM).

Thanks for the advice Ubonjoe. Nice to know there are options out there. I've still got plenty of time but I'm sure someone, somewhere may need it.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What a good idea !

Wonder what the BE will want to charge for such a letter which given the circumstances should be free

edit

correct typo

Edited by thepool
  • Like 1

Those that have followed this thread from the beginning will by now appreciate that VFS trendy is appointed by the UK Government's HMPO to function purely as a very expensive post box due to HMPO's cost saving and security concerns.

VFS would not have been able to give you any advice, in fact currently they can hardly even read or write English.

Had you persevered with the crush, probably the best you would have got from them was to be referred to the UK HMPO Website.

VFS do not have any information on their website and no telephone helpline - as far as passport issuance advice goes, they are a complete waste of space.

You should contact HMPO Newport directly and ask them as to what is required to renew a second passport, you would be wasting you time going back to Trendy with out firs thaving an answer to your question and required papers in hand.

HMPO Newport are the ones that can give advice you on any special procedures that are not outlined on the HMPO website.

HMPO enquiries email address [email protected].

HMPO telephone helpline in the UK to check +443002220000, it's not a rip off premium line, but you would pay for the cost of an international call to a UK Land Line, else use Skype I've checked it and it works at 1.4p per minute.

Allow 15 minutes for the call including navigating menus ID collection and time on hold while they check the answer to your question.

purely

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 2

Thought I would try this email to HMPO:-

Dear Sirs,
I attended Vfs offices in Bangkok on 9th April to process my renewal application.
On 16th April the card payment was processed.
The minimum application processed time is stated as 4 weeks - which correlates to the ACTUAL time taken when previously processed through Hong Kong.
I am now hearing stories of renewals taking over 8 weeks to be processed.
This is now a matter of grave concern for me as I have permission to stay in Thailand until 19th June - some 8/9 weeks from when I eventually got an appointment at Vfs i.e. I thought I had sensibly planned the timing of renewal.
If for any reason the passport renewal is not completed well before 19th June I will be in the position of residing in Thailand illegally - no passport and no permission to stay.
I would ideally like your assurance that I am being unduly concerned and that the passport will be delivered back to me in a timely manner. Failing that I would appreciate your advice as to exactly what I should do if my new passport is not in my hands by, say, 12th June.
Regards

Thought I would try this email to HMPO:-

Dear Sirs,

I attended Vfs offices in Bangkok on 9th April to process my renewal application.

On 16th April the card payment was processed.

The minimum application processed time is stated as 4 weeks - which correlates to the ACTUAL time taken when previously processed through Hong Kong.

I am now hearing stories of renewals taking over 8 weeks to be processed.

This is now a matter of grave concern for me as I have permission to stay in Thailand until 19th June - some 8/9 weeks from when I eventually got an appointment at Vfs i.e. I thought I had sensibly planned the timing of renewal.

If for any reason the passport renewal is not completed well before 19th June I will be in the position of residing in Thailand illegally - no passport and no permission to stay.

I would ideally like your assurance that I am being unduly concerned and that the passport will be delivered back to me in a timely manner. Failing that I would appreciate your advice as to exactly what I should do if my new passport is not in my hands by, say, 12th June.

Regards

Bearing in mind there is a bank holiday on Monday, I will wait unti Wednesday before submitting another email status enquiry.

It wouldn't surprise me if you get a "Dear Sir, as you are aware, there have been some important procedural changes for the renewal of passports from the Kingdom of Thailand, blah, blah, blah".

Even though the procedures at the Liverpool end should be the same except maybe posting back to Trendy in bulk mail.

I wonder what goes on there and why it takes weeks to sort. Employee A does one part, then goes to Employee B, C, D who may be off work for a week or two due to stress and sits in an inbox. Would just like to be a fly on the wall. Ho hum.

Edited by watso63
  • Like 1

Final update from me - received my new passport at last yesterday evening, eight weeks and one day after posting my application.

I applied directly to Liverpool, before the VFS changes came in. Didn't hear a peep out of Liverpool until I received my new passport. So there is no notification whatsoever when your passport is issued, nor when it's mailed out to you.

My already-extended tourist visa expires in just over a week, so just in the nick of time really.

I believe I now need to go to the British Embassy to get the new passport certified as an original, after which I'll be able to leave the country by presenting both new and old passports. From what I've read, this is done in person, at no charge, while you wait. We shall see...

PS. None of my supporting materials have been returned yet, just the new passport itself. I believe they're supposed to follow later. No rush on that front, although I really don't see why they can't return everything in one package!

Edited by thatmanagain
  • Like 1

Final update from me - received my new passport at last yesterday evening, eight weeks and one day after posting my application.

I applied directly to Liverpool, before the VFS changes came in. Didn't hear a peep out of Liverpool until I received my new passport. So there is no notification whatsoever when your passport is issued, nor when it's mailed out to you.

My already-extended tourist visa expires in just over a week, so just in the nick of time really.

I believe I now need to go to the British Embassy to get the new passport certified as an original, after which I'll be able to leave the country by presenting both new and old passports. From what I've read, this is done in person, at no charge, while you wait. We shall see...

PS. None of my supporting materials have been returned yet, just the new passport itself. I believe they're supposed to follow later. No rush on that front, although I really don't see why they can't return everything in one package!

Why do you need to go to British Embassy to get new passport certified ?

I got my passport last week, i then cut the corner off old passport myself, went to immigration, & got new one year extension ( retirement ) put in new passport & transfer of old extension in new passport. easy.

Edited by DLP
  • Like 1

Please explain about the Embassy certifying the new passport. Not heard that one before, unless my brain's drained.

Looks like DLP just answered that one.

Edited by watso63

Why do you need to go to British Embassy to get new passport certified ?

I got my passport last week, i then cut the corner off old passport myself, went to immigration, & got new one year extension ( retirement ) put in new passport & transfer of old extension in new passport. easy.

Good news!

8 weeks and one day will see me OK smile.png

I also don't think that you need to get the embassy letter. I understood this was only required by some (not all) immigration offices when doing an extension. It is free and I think you can download the form.

• Like 1

First of all congratulations - that must be a big relief after 8 weeks of nail chewing........xpartytime2.gif.pagespeed.ic.V_K7hML3fS.

Not sure you need the Embassy letter, that's normally only required if you want an extension transferring to another passport, as you will be leaving Thailand to get a new visa/entry you just need to show both passports on exit and they will stamp you out of Thailand in your new passport. If you still have a valid Tourist Visa (double entry with one entry unused), then you can just show that visa on re-entry and they will stamp you in for 60 days in your new passport.

When you want to extend a 60 day entry obtained this way, then I guess you can also show the old visa to immigration and get a new 30 day extension in your new passport.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

You don't need the letter. Departure immigration does not ask for it.

The letter is only needed at some immigration offices if you want to transfer an extension of stay.

Also the letter does not certify the new passport. It is meant to be just a letter confirming they you received a new passport from them.

Has anyone been to the interview yet and can let us know what kind of questions will be asked?

It says on the website that questions will be asked that only you will know and not a fraud. I have a habit of failing my own security clearance from time to time when asked questions that i "should" know the answer to.

Thanks

Has anyone been to the interview yet and can let us know what kind of questions will be asked?

It says on the website that questions will be asked that only you will know and not a fraud. I have a habit of failing my own security clearance from time to time when asked questions that i "should" know the answer to.

Thanks

Name, and time of appointment were the only two that I recall.

If you fail those then you don't deserve to have a passport.

• Like 2

The letter is only needed at some immigration offices if you want to transfer an extension of stay.

Also the letter does not certify the new passport. It is meant to be just a letter confirming they you received a new passport from them.

Ah that's a relief, one less thing to do.

I don't have any visas to transfer - my current stamp for a single-entry visa will expire on the day I'm leaving. I'll apply for the next visa in the new passport before I return.

So l'll just show up at the airport, and present both the old and new passports at passport control, nothing further required?

Thanks again.

Ah that's a relief, one less thing to do.

I don't have any visas to transfer - my current stamp for a single-entry visa will expire on the day I'm leaving. I'll apply for the next visa in the new passport before I return.

So l'll just show up at the airport, and present both the old and new passports at passport control, nothing further required?

Thanks again.

That is it. Just both your passports. The immigration officer will transfer you entry/permit to stay stamp to your new passport and stamp you out in it.

• Like 1

The staff have no involvement in the application.

All they do are check for basic mistakes that could slow your application:

-Written in black pen.

-Payment details completed and accurate

-Supporting forms attached.

That's it. Then everything is bundled up and sent away.

About the huge crowds, it is worth perservering because 95% of those will be Thais applying for UK visas, which is handled by a different set of counters.

• Like 1

The staff have no involvement in the application.

All they do are check for basic mistakes that could slow your application:

-Written in black pen.

-Payment details completed and accurate

-Supporting forms attached.

That's it. Then everything is bundled up and sent away.

About the huge crowds, it is worth perservering because 95% of those will be Thais applying for UK visas, which is handled by a different set of counters.

Yes thats all they do, is check for basic mistakes

Exactly the same as your LOCAL post office will do for you in England,

But the difference being in Thailand they don't care if you are a elderly or disabled British citizen

YOU MUST undertake a possible 4,000 kilometre journey to have your documents checked in order to renew your passport

PERIOD no options

VFS Saving money for the British Taxpayer??? Improving the application experience for its British Expat customer in Thailand??? Certifying the copied pages of the old passport, without even asking to see the original??

Smacks of GROUP 4 taking money for tagging criminals that never existed, or SERCO and their cock ups with bad security checks on staff they employed for the London Olympics.

Without being able to produce a shiny new passport then there is really no point...that is the point.

Security of my passports, old and new is no different than the security of old and new credit cards. I am quite capable of cutting through the microchip of that.

• Like 2

Plucked from SOAP @831;

But the difference being in Thailand they don't care if you are a elderly or disabled British citizen

YOU MUST undertake a possible 4,000 kilometre journey to have your documents checked in order to renew your passport
PERIOD no options

It is inevitable that HMPO/HMG will eventually take this into consideration; but only after they have managed to separate feedback & constructive criticism from the avalanche of rants their intrays.

Edited by evadgib

Plucked from SOAP @831;

But the difference being in Thailand they don't care if you are a elderly or disabled British citizen YOU MUST undertake a possible 4,000 kilometre journey to have your documents checked in order to renew your passport

PERIOD no options

It is inevitable that HMPO/HMG will eventually take this into consideration; but only after they have managed to separate feedback & constructive criticism from the avalanche of rants their intrays.

I would say my post was a fact,not a rant.

Its a pity that the HMPO did not ask for constructive feedback before they gave the contract to VFS because if you look at the opening post in this thread by Basset (i wonder if he works for the HMPO)as he as not been seen again after breaking the news on his post dated 26th March, revealing that these changes would be implemented from 26th March,i helped my friends daughter fill her passports forms etc the first week in March (still waiting) and as far as i can remember i did not read on the HMPO web site about these changes being implemented from March 26th.

I think constructive feedback from the HMPO giving notice about these changes would have been the appropriate thing to do rather than create a situation that you refer, soap @ 831

• Like 1

Plucked from SOAP @831;

But the difference being in Thailand they don't care if you are a elderly or disabled British citizen YOU MUST undertake a possible 4,000 kilometre journey to have your documents checked in order to renew your passport

PERIOD no options

I would say my post was a fact,not a rant.

Its a pity that the HMPO did not ask for constructive feedback before they gave the contract to VFS because if you look at the opening post in this thread by Basset (i wonder if he works for the HMPO)as he as not been seen again after breaking the news on his post dated 26th March, revealing that these changes would be implemented from 26th March,i helped my friends daughter fill her passports forms etc the first week in March (still waiting) and as far as i can remember i did not read on the HMPO web site about these changes being implemented from March 26th.

I think constructive feedback from the HMPO giving notice about these changes would have been the appropriate thing to do rather than create a situation that you refer, soap @ 831

If and when my passport arrives I will write to HMPO in a constructive manner. This is a forum where we can say more or less as we please within the forum rules and as such is like a chat in a pub. I would hope we are capable of thinking about what, or how we phrase what we write to a government agency.

Anyway there's nothing wrong with a good old rant and whinge if it makes you feel better 555.