Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

Went to the Trendy yesterday, first time, for passport renewal. Much more convenient than Regent House, have stayed at the Miami hotel a couple of times. A lot more facilities in the building so much better if you have any waiting time.

My appointment was at 3pm and it was absolutely chaotic outside the lift. I saw the visa desk but was not sure so I asked the guy if it was also for passports, he said yes and pushed me to the front of the queue. I was about 40 minutes early and expected to wait but she took my name ,gave me a ticket and sent me through. When I went in the office it was chock a block which did not look good, I checked my counter number and there was no one there. I went straight up, gave my name and handed in the docs. She checked them over, asked me to sign the photocopies and gave me a receipt, job done. In and out in under ten minutes.

A couple of specific points. She told me it would take 4 to 6 weeks and then asked me to repeat what she had said. Must be a sore point.

I asked when payment would be taken and she said that payment is taken in the UK when they start to process the application. Something that bothered me a little as my cards are not cleared for use in Thailand. People with foreign cards should bear this in mind.

There is a notice on the counter with the fees, jumbo being 114.01 GBP, as on the website.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You should do a bit more homework. It is my understanding that the ETD is a one way route back to UK.

To repeat what the Embassy told me ....

c. ETD Requirement: ...

6. Proof of address in Thailand in case that you use the ETD as two ways documents and return to Thailand

What I meant was that you should check up on this part.

"The emergency travel document can also cover a return journey if you’re resident in the country you’re applying from."

Are you resident in Thailand?

Maybe I got it wrong but did you not say you had a tourist visa. Embassy replies can often be of a standard nature.

You should do a bit more homework. It is my understanding that the ETD is a one way route back to UK.

To repeat what the Embassy told me ....

c. ETD Requirement: ...

6. Proof of address in Thailand in case that you use the ETD as two ways documents and return to Thailand

What I meant was that you should check up on this part.

"The emergency travel document can also cover a return journey if you’re resident in the country you’re applying from."

Are you resident in Thailand?

Maybe I got it wrong but did you not say you had a tourist visa. Embassy replies can often be of a standard nature.

Resident means living here in this case. Not having permanent residency which very few people here have.

• Like 1

Went to the Trendy yesterday, first time, for passport renewal. Much more convenient than Regent House, have stayed at the Miami hotel a couple of times. A lot more facilities in the building so much better if you have any waiting time.

My appointment was at 3pm and it was absolutely chaotic outside the lift. I saw the visa desk but was not sure so I asked the guy if it was also for passports, he said yes and pushed me to the front of the queue. I was about 40 minutes early and expected to wait but she took my name ,gave me a ticket and sent me through. When I went in the office it was chock a block which did not look good, I checked my counter number and there was no one there. I went straight up, gave my name and handed in the docs. She checked them over, asked me to sign the photocopies and gave me a receipt, job done. In and out in under ten minutes.

A couple of specific points. She told me it would take 4 to 6 weeks and then asked me to repeat what she had said. Must be a sore point.

I asked when payment would be taken and she said that payment is taken in the UK when they start to process the application. Something that bothered me a little as my cards are not cleared for use in Thailand. People with foreign cards should bear this in mind.

There is a notice on the counter with the fees, jumbo being 114.01 GBP, as on the website. facepalm.gif

Reference:xxxxxxxxxx

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxx

Please see the attached letter in reference to your recent passport application xxxxxxxxxxxx. We have been unable to process payment for £110.86, so would be grateful if you could contact us on the direct number +44 151 471 4302 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 4:00pm (UK time)) at your earliest convenience, quoting the reference given above.

E-mail last week after my physical Kasikorn Bank Visa debit card was declined. It is activated with Visa. I confirmed it by purchasing a room on Agoda.com. The card was accepted. Be careful and use the virtual card; they are activated for this type of transaction.

Has anyone received, or know of anyone who has received, an e-mail from VFS to inform them that their new passport is ready for collection?

To save me scrolling through the thread again, can someone remind me of the telephone number in UK that we can phone to request info relating to our applications for renewal - and whether I will be able to get through to the number on Skype.

Edited by rajyindee

Has anyone received, or know of anyone who has received, an e-mail from VFS to inform them that their new passport is ready for collection?

To save me scrolling through the thread again, can someone remind me of the telephone number in UK that we can phone to request info relating to our applications for renewal - and whether I will be able to get through to the number on Skype.

You can phone HMPO in the UK to check on +443002220000, it's not a rip off premium line, but you have to pay for the cost of an international call to a UK Land Line.

Skype works fine, I've checked it and it works well at 1.4p per minute.

Allow 15 minutes for the call including navigating menus ID collection and time on hold while they check the answer to your question.

HMPO Passport Advice Line

Telephone: +44 (0) 300 222 0000

Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm (UK time)

Saturday, Sunday and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm (UK time)

Edited by digitalchromakey

Just be prepared for multiple attempts to get hold of anyone to speak to, including being placed on hold in a queue for 20 minutes.

Tried and gave up, so sent an e-mail.

Took 2 weeks to get a reply via an e-mail, still waiting for another reply, one week and counting.

Terribly poor service.

At least I know about it now, thanks to this forum.

There is a notice on the counter with the fees, jumbo being 114.01 GBP, as on the website.

Job done In and out in under ten minutes

Did you ask them if they had a masters degree in checking British passport documents.

Because to order a British citizen whether elderly or disabled who lives in North or South Thailand to travel at least 2,000 kilometres to present their documents with no other option period, and have the job done in under ten minutes. I would say they should have some kind of masters degree, so the elderly or disabled British citizen cant say "at least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask" on their 15 hour bus journey back home

You can imagine the uproar from the likes of age concern etc if they made a british citizen in the UK travel from John o' groats to Lands end to present their passport documents and be in and out within ten minutes

If they're that good, employ them in Liverpool???

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Did you ask them if they had a masters degree in checking British passport documents.

Because to order a British citizen whether elderly or disabled who lives in North or South Thailand to travel at least 2,000 kilometres to present their documents with no other option period, and have the job done in under ten minutes. I would say they should have some kind of masters degree, so the elderly or disabled British citizen cant say "at least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask" on their 15 hour bus journey back home

You can imagine the uproar from the likes of age concern etc if they made a british citizen in the UK travel from John o' groats to Lands end to present their passport documents and be in and out within ten minutes

Why change the subject? I did not comment on UK government policy.

I do not know about Liverpool. My last renewal about 4 years ago was at a post office in Sheffield. Took over an hour.

I do not know about Liverpool. My last renewal about 4 years ago was at a post office in Sheffield. Took over an hour.

That's probably because the people who processed your application in Sheffield could read, Trendy have proven time and time again that they can't actually read or write English and to all reports don't speak it very well either,.

Trendy are just an (extremely - if you live some distance from BKK) expensive post box for HMPO.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

I sent my application on 27 February. Supposed to have been delivered to my house. It's what I paid for, but no, instead I had to drive over 1000km to pick up my passport on 9 May. Glad you like the current service, but plenty of people don't. Did the counter assistant actually check your passport against the photocopies provided? That is supposed to be the whole point of the "VFS PARTNERSHIP" , to physically check the old passport and eventually to stamp cancelled on the back page. Others have said they didn't. Anyway, it's still a crap system and a complete waste of British Taxpayers money. I'm just glad I can sit back and relax in the sun without having to "pay in" anymore.

• Like 1

"That's probably because the people who processed your application in Sheffield could read, Trendy have proven time and time again that they can't actually read or write English and to all reports don't speak it very well either,.

Trendy are just an (extremely - if you live some distance from BKK) expensive post box for HMPO."

I have had problems with VFS in the past over their inability to understand the English language. In this instance the girl spoke very good English and could also read very well. How do I know you are going to ask. She read something I gave her before telling me it was not necessary. She was very clear on what was required.
It is very easy to criticise the service as a whole and you are perfectly free to do so, but does it really help.
Government policy is an entirely different matter.

"I sent my application on 27 February. Supposed to have been delivered to my house. It's what I paid for, but no, instead I had to drive over 1000km to pick up my passport on 9 May. Glad you like the current service, but plenty of people don't. Did the counter assistant actually check your passport against the photocopies provided? That is supposed to be the whole point of the "VFS PARTNERSHIP" , to physically check the old passport and eventually to stamp cancelled on the back page. Others have said they didn't. Anyway, it's still a crap system and a complete waste of British Taxpayers money. I'm just glad I can sit back and relax in the sun without having to "pay in" anymore."

I made a comment about the counter service but everyone has used iy as an excuse to complain about every other aspect of the service. I am beginning to wonder who has a problem with the English language.
To answer your question, she did check quite thoroughly all photocopies against the passport, she was very efficient and knew exactly what she was doing. There was no cancelled stamp.
I can understand your fustration and possibly in 10 weeks when I have not had my passport back I too could have a complaint, but not against the counter service.

"I sent my application on 27 February. Supposed to have been delivered to my house. It's what I paid for, but no, instead I had to drive over 1000km to pick up my passport on 9 May. Glad you like the current service, but plenty of people don't. Did the counter assistant actually check your passport against the photocopies provided? That is supposed to be the whole point of the "VFS PARTNERSHIP" , to physically check the old passport and eventually to stamp cancelled on the back page. Others have said they didn't. Anyway, it's still a crap system and a complete waste of British Taxpayers money. I'm just glad I can sit back and relax in the sun without having to "pay in" anymore."

I made a comment about the counter service but everyone has used iy as an excuse to complain about every other aspect of the service. I am beginning to wonder who has a problem with the English language.

To answer your question, she did check quite thoroughly all photocopies against the passport, she was very efficient and knew exactly what she was doing. There was no cancelled stamp.

I can understand your fustration and possibly in 10 weeks when I have not had my passport back I too could have a complaint, but not against the counter service.

I understand my laguage very well thank you. I did say that I was glad you liked the service you received, but just pointed out that others did not. In my case I was told that I could collect my passport at 09:00 hrs, but when I got there I had to wait until 10:00 hrs followed by a furher wait inside and then gave up when I tried asking the counter assistant??? a few basic questions in English. As for the stamp, once the application process has started your passport is effectively cancelled, so why they don't stamp it at the beginning seems a bit strange.

"That's probably because the people who processed your application in Sheffield could read, Trendy have proven time and time again that they can't actually read or write English and to all reports don't speak it very well either,.

Trendy are just an (extremely - if you live some distance from BKK) expensive post box for HMPO."

I have had problems with VFS in the past over their inability to understand the English language. In this instance the girl spoke very good English and could also read very well. How do I know you are going to ask. She read something I gave her before telling me it was not necessary. She was very clear on what was required.
It is very easy to criticise the service as a whole and you are perfectly free to do so, but does it really help.

In a reply from HMPO I received on the 28th April in response to a number of items of correspondence they wrote:

We would like to assure you that we monitor the service provided by our partners to ensure they achieve and maintain a satisfactory service to our customers. We also rely on customer feedback as a means of improving our service. Your comments and concerns regarding the standard of English achieved by VFS Global have been referred to our Organisational Transformation Team who is taking immediate action to ensure that measures are put in place to improve the standard of service they provide to our customers in Thailand.

It looks like that has now actually happened and Trendy has now finally employed someone that dealt with you, who could actually speak, read and write English, this albeit nearly 8 weeks after starting the service opening - good news indeed smile.png

However, it doesn't change the fact that this new system remains is a poor slow and extremely expensive process for those of us who do not live in BKK.

Assuming HMPO/Trendy remain as slow as they currently are, then I will also need to purchase an ETD and thus in total, I face 2/3 flights from HKT, 6 nights accommodation, taxis, out of pockets expenses, six days loss of wages plus six days away from my family, all to renew my passport.

The last time I renewed my passport here, ten years ago, it was utterly painless, took about two weeks and was done by EMS in both directions.

Currently HMPO (aka the executors of this government policy) are promising:

Her Majesty's Passport Office is making important changes to the way it delivers British passports overseas. The goal is to ensure that all British nationals living overseas receive a consistent, trusted, secure and efficient service whilst keeping the costs as low as possible

I personally will continue chipping away until this is actually the case and those of us based in Thailand have passport application services such as:

1) Trendy website, or all information on the HMPO website.

2) Thai based helpline,

3) Application tracking.

4) Application information specific to Thailand,

5) Less than two weeks turnaround,

6) Reduced cost of application and need to travel, particularly for the elderly and disabled.

I was under the impression that a main feature of the forum was feedback, I posted a positive comment and have been taken to task . Hopefully the failings in the changeover will benefit the future and it is just unfortunate for those that have suffered in the meantime. I am only an hour from BKK so it is no big deal, but I am sure that I would have a different view if I lived in the north.

Another point on looking forward. Attached to my receipt was a URL which I have looked up. It is a beta website for online passport applications. The interesting thing is that on the first page there is a country box with a drop down menu. If you select Thailand and then next, the next page tells you that the service is not available in that country.

Indications are that it could become available in the future, big question is how long? Not that it will be of any benefit to me, I think that I have just applied for my last passport.

The real benefit of the online service comes from the online tracking facility.

I understand my laguage very well thank you. I did say that I was glad you liked the service you received, but just pointed out that others did not. In my case I was told that I could collect my passport at 09:00 hrs, but when I got there I had to wait until 10:00 hrs followed by a furher wait inside and then gave up when I tried asking the counter assistant??? a few basic questions in English. As for the stamp, once the application process has started your passport is effectively cancelled, so why they don't stamp it at the beginning seems a bit strange.

I am grateful that they didn't stamp my old passport 'cancelled' (although I agree logic says this is what should happen).

I thought I had planned my passport renewal sensibly by starting on the process on 26th March (the day of implementation of the new procedures) knowing that my permission to stay ran until 16th June. To cut a long story short, my card payment was processed on 16th April and it is cutting things fine based on the apparent 8 week turnround time.

It is the issue of permission to stay that becomes the major consideration with this appalling processing time.

I reasoned that Thai immigration would not be linked to the HMPO or any other international computer system. Therefore, I decided to try to arrange a retirement extension based on the old (cancelled) passport. Fortunately, I was right and I had no problem getting the extension - OK, it will cost 500 Baht to eventually transfer the details into the new passport but I at least have peace of mind of knowing that I have avoided the risk of staying here illegally.

In a reply from HMPO I received on the 28th April in response to a number of items of correspondence they wrote:

We would like to assure you that we monitor the service provided by our partners to ensure they achieve and maintain a satisfactory service to our customers. We also rely on customer feedback as a means of improving our service. Your comments and concerns regarding the standard of English achieved by VFS Global have been referred to our Organisational Transformation Team who is taking immediate action to ensure that measures are put in place to improve the standard of service they provide to our customers in Thailand.

It looks like that has now actually happened and Trendy has now finally employed someone that dealt with you, who could actually speak, read and write English, this albeit nearly 8 weeks after starting the service opening - good news indeed smile.png

However, it doesn't change the fact that this new system remains is a poor slow and extremely expensive process for those of us who do not live in BKK.

Assuming HMPO/Trendy remain as slow as they currently are, then I will also need to purchase an ETD and thus in total, I face 2/3 flights from HKT, 6 nights accommodation, taxis, out of pockets expenses, six days loss of wages plus six days away from my family, all to renew my passport.

The last time I renewed my passport here, ten years ago, it was utterly painless, took about two weeks and was done by EMS in both directions.

Currently HMPO (aka the executors of this government policy) are promising:

Her Majesty's Passport Office is making important changes to the way it delivers British passports overseas. The goal is to ensure that all British nationals living overseas receive a consistent, trusted, secure and efficient service whilst keeping the costs as low as possible

I personally will continue chipping away until this is actually the case and those of us based in Thailand have passport application services such as:

1) Trendy website, or all information on the HMPO website.

2) Thai based helpline,

3) Application tracking.

4) Application information specific to Thailand,

5) Less than two weeks turnaround,

6) Reduced cost of application and need to travel, particularly for the elderly and disabled.

Good on you mate, highlighted point 6 as I previously informed the forum, my daughter is severely disabled.

clap2.gif

Edited by soihok

Finally sorted. I went to the British Embassy this morning with old and new passports. They just give you a form letter where you fill in the blanks with your own name and passport details - they then stamp and sign the letter. Free of charge. In and out within about 10-15 minutes.

I took that letter to Immigration in Lad Phrao along with passport photos, both passports and 1900 baht for the 7-day extension - they told me what to photocopy from each passport, transferred the stamp and added the extension to my new passport. In and out within about four and a half hours.

So just to reiterate - whether it's official policy or not, immigration can refuse to transfer your stamp into your new passport at the airport, and can refuse to transfer it at all without a letter from the British Embassy.

Thanks for the good news! BTW, does that form at the British Embassy have a name? I will have to go and ask for it soon i think, lol

If it does have a name, I don't know what it is, sorry!

I just explained my situation, told them Immigration needed a letter from them, and they knew straight away what I was talking about.

Once you get inside the building you just take a ticket number and wait. There's a sign on the wall saying that you must complete all forms before being seen, but you can't actually get the form in this case until your number is called - so don't worry about that smile.png

When they call your number, explain the situation, show both passports, and they'll give you the form to fill out. All the information you need is in your passports, so it's just a matter of copying dates and numbers across - when you're done, they'll stamp and date it, and you're off on your way. I went there at opening time (8am) and was dealt with very quickly and efficiently.

Edited by thatmanagain

I am grateful that they didn't stamp my old passport 'cancelled' (although I agree logic says this is what should happen).

I thought I had planned my passport renewal sensibly by starting on the process on 26th March (the day of implementation of the new procedures) knowing that my permission to stay ran until 16th June. To cut a long story short, my card payment was processed on 16th April and it is cutting things fine based on the apparent 8 week turnround time.

It is the issue of permission to stay that becomes the major consideration with this appalling processing time.

I reasoned that Thai immigration would not be linked to the HMPO or any other international computer system. Therefore, I decided to try to arrange a retirement extension based on the old (cancelled) passport. Fortunately, I was right and I had no problem getting the extension - OK, it will cost 500 Baht to eventually transfer the details into the new passport but I at least have peace of mind of knowing that I have avoided the risk of staying here illegally.

I was being rushed by the TG to go visit her mum when I wrote that. I was going to add that by not stamping at the beginning, it does actually allow someone to chance their luck with a border crossing or gaining a new visa/extension of stay. So it just proves again that Trendy are not really that switched on, fortunately for you lol.

I made a comment about the counter service but everyone has used it as an excuse to complain about every other aspect of the service. I am beginning to wonder who has a problem with the English language.

I can understand your frustration and possibly in 10 weeks when I have not had my passport back I too could have a complaint, but not against the counter service.

I understand my language very well thank you. I did say that I was glad you liked the service you received, but just pointed out that others did not. In my case I was told that I could collect my passport at 09:00 hrs, but when I got there I had to wait until 10:00 hrs followed by a furher wait inside and then gave up when I tried asking the counter assistant??? a few basic questions in English. As for the stamp, once the application process has started your passport is effectively cancelled, so why they don't stamp it at the beginning seems a bit strange.

Because if they did that, one would only need to make one trip to BKK and the new passport could be couriered to your home address rather than collected in BKK thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif .

HMPO wrote to me in an email dated 17th April:

In order to guarantee public protection and so that the passport once replaced cannot be reused for illegal purposes should it be intercepted by a third party it is important that the replaced passport is physically cancelled. To ensure this takes place, the new passport is returned to the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok where the customer must present their “old” passport for it to be physically cancelled at which time they will then be presented with their new passport.

In countries such as Malaysia the passport is now couriered direct to your home from the UK (along with the old item which has been physically cancelled), the only reason HMPO state for one to go BKK a second time is to collect the new one and get your old passport cancelled.

However we are assured by the HMPO website that cancellation in fact happens as soon as your application is filed, so exactly, why can your passport not be physically cancelled at that point and the new passport subsequently couriered direct to your home (same courier service doubtless as used to send passports to trendy), thus saving the second trip to BKK?

This system would be extremely simple for any competent organization to implement, but would, of course, cut down on the fee that Trendy could then charge HMPO for their 'service'!

• Like 1

I was under the impression that a main feature of the forum was feedback, I posted a positive comment and have been taken to task . Hopefully the failings in the changeover will benefit the future and it is just unfortunate for those that have suffered in the meantime. I am only an hour from BKK so it is no big deal, but I am sure that I would have a different view if I lived in the north.

Another point on looking forward. Attached to my receipt was a URL which I have looked up. It is a beta website for online passport applications. The interesting thing is that on the first page there is a country box with a drop down menu. If you select Thailand and then next, the next page tells you that the service is not available in that country.

Indications are that it could become available in the future, big question is how long? Not that it will be of any benefit to me, I think that I have just applied for my last passport.

Could you please share that trendy beta URL with this thread?

It would be interesting to see/follow this for signs of progress, as it is one of the items we have been pressing HMPO for since day 1.

Thanks in anticipation.

When I read this, I re-checked my receipt, and found that they state the Passport Collection time as Monday-Friday 8.30-15.00.

This is different from the times I was told at the office which were 10.00-16.00. So I think it would be safe to assume 10.00-15.00 would be OK.

The URL is https://passportapplication.service.gov.uk/ips-olc/

Edited by delboy
  • Like 1