Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

"I sent my application on 27 February. Supposed to have been delivered to my house. It's what I paid for, but no, instead I had to drive over 1000km to pick up my passport on 9 May. Glad you like the current service, but plenty of people don't. Did the counter assistant actually check your passport against the photocopies provided? That is supposed to be the whole point of the "VFS PARTNERSHIP" , to physically check the old passport and eventually to stamp cancelled on the back page. Others have said they didn't. Anyway, it's still a crap system and a complete waste of British Taxpayers money. I'm just glad I can sit back and relax in the sun without having to "pay in" anymore."

I made a comment about the counter service but everyone has used it as an excuse to complain about every other aspect of the service. I am beginning to wonder who has a problem with the English language.

To answer your question, she did check quite thoroughly all photocopies against the passport, she was very efficient and knew exactly what she was doing. There was no cancelled stamp.

I can understand your frustration and possibly in 10 weeks when I have not had my passport back I too could have a complaint, but not against the counter service.

I understand my language very well thank you. I did say that I was glad you liked the service you received, but just pointed out that others did not. In my case I was told that I could collect my passport at 09:00 hrs, but when I got there I had to wait until 10:00 hrs followed by a furher wait inside and then gave up when I tried asking the counter assistant??? a few basic questions in English. As for the stamp, once the application process has started your passport is effectively cancelled, so why they don't stamp it at the beginning seems a bit strange.

Because if they did that, one would only need to make one trip to BKK and the new passport could be couriered to your home address rather than collected in BKK thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif .

HMPO wrote to me in an email dated 17th April:

In order to guarantee public protection and so that the passport once replaced cannot be reused for illegal purposes should it be intercepted by a third party it is important that the replaced passport is physically cancelled. To ensure this takes place, the new passport is returned to the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok where the customer must present their “old” passport for it to be physically cancelled at which time they will then be presented with their new passport.

In countries such as Malaysia the passport is now couriered direct to your home from the UK (along with the old item which has been physically cancelled), the only reason HMPO state for one to go BKK a second time is to collect the new one and get your old passport cancelled.

However we are assured by the HMPO website that cancellation in fact happens as soon as your application is filed, so exactly, why can your passport not be physically cancelled at that point and the new passport subsequently couriered direct to your home (same courier service doubtless as used to send passports to trendy), thus saving the second trip to BKK?

This system would be extremely simple for any competent organization to implement, but would, of course, cut down on the fee that Trendy could then charge HMPO for their 'service'!

Don't forget there will probably be quite a few British Passports travelling by post to friends, or friends of friends for collection from Trendy on behalf of far away applicants. Hardly secure, but HMPO will just wash their hands of this practice by saying the responsiblity and security of the passport lies with the holder and is therefore not to be recommended. Try convincing someone who stands to save several thousang baht???

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another point on looking forward. Attached to my receipt was a URL which I have looked up. It is a beta website for online passport applications. The interesting thing is that on the first page there is a country box with a drop down menu. If you select Thailand and then next, the next page tells you that the service is not available in that country.

Indications are that it could become available in the future, big question is how long? Not that it will be of any benefit to me, I think that I have just applied for my last passport.

The real benefit of the online service comes from the online tracking facility.

When I read this, I re-checked my receipt, and found that they state the Passport Collection time as Monday-Friday 8.30-15.00.

This is different from the times I was told at the office which were 10.00-16.00. So I think it would be safe to assume 10.00-15.00 would be OK.

The URL is https://passportapplication.service.gov.uk/ips-olc/

Ok, the URL is the HMPO Online Passport Application facility, which is only available in the ASEAN region for those based in Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Vietnam but not Thailand

I thought what sandyf was referring to was something set up by VFS with passport application information, but re-reading that post I guess this is it.

So it looks like there is still nothing from trendy on the internet to assist British Passport applicants in Thailand.

2x personal appearances at trendy (seems that maybe the second one can be done by a proxy on one's behalf) is the only way to apply if you are based in Thailand.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Posted on behalf on MikeBairdArtist who had started a separate thread:-

The rules for renewing a U.K. Passport has changed again (APRIL 2014)

Now you will have to contact [email protected] and give them a choice of 3 dates that are convenient for you to come to BANGKOK (IN PERSON) for an interview.

They will Email you back picking one of your dates.

Well, this week I went to Bangkok for my appointment time of 9-00 a.m. at THE TRENDY BUILDING. Sukhumvit Road. Soi 13. (Near THE MIAMI HOTEL)

When you get to the front of the Building you walk through the huge open glass doors and walk to the right or left to the LIFTS BEHIND the coffee area.

You will then get into one of four huge Lifts and go up to the 28th Floor.

When the door opens the VFS Visa Processing Office is straight in front of you and there was about 20 people each side waiting.

The Thai Attendant at the entrance asked "What Country passport do I need to replace."

And he points you into one of four rows.

You show the girl behind the desk the papers you have and she gives you a NUMBER.

You turn to your LEFT and there is a metal detector door frame which you have to walk through plus you must leave your papers and bags in a plastic tray on the side.

Once through you have to lift your arms up for the guy to scan your body with a hand held detector.

You then turn to your RIGHT and it opens up to a huge room and there are more glass doors.

There are very well dressed Female Attendants outside every door and one checks your number and she tells you where to go inside.

You go inside - This opens up like a huge airport lounge - There are 23 Rows - Mine was row 11. The room had about hundreds seats in it.

You wait until they call your number (Bit strange as some numbers have letters in front so you are not sure if it`s your number or not)

Then I was called up to counter 11 - and a very pretty English speaking Thai girl checked my papers/photos/address in Thailand.

After that she gets you to sign a paper stating what size passport you need and confirming the correct price.

YOU CAN ONLY PAY WITH A VISA CARD - ETC (NO CASH)

You should have filled in a paying form beforehand. (Which you should have downloaded from the British Embassy website).

They tell you "If you haven't got a visa card - use your friends".

She then gives you a form to sign stating they have received a copy of every page of your passport - two photos - and proof of address. Plus you have to give her your E-Mail address and your phone number in Thailand.

She said if everything goes O.K. she will contact me in about 4 weeks.

Then you have to go back to Bangkok and pick up the Passport - You will have to show your old passport and the form you have just signed.

That’s it.

So that’s a blow by blow account on how you apply for a replacement U.K. Passport.

• Like 1

A bit of an update to my experience (so far).

I submitted my application at Trendy on 9 April and my bank account was debited on 15 April. I am due to travel to UK on 3 June.

I phoned the HMPO people in UK today and eventually got put through to the tracking guy who gave me a reference number in case I have reason to call them again in the future. He basically told me that my passport is going through "the checks" but he couldn't say how far it had progressed and whether it was likely to take another day, week or month. He told me that it was highly unlikely that I would receive my new passport before 2 June ... no big deal - I'll get an ETD next week at the Embassy and head back to Songkhla to transfer my stamps to that from my current passport. I am none the wiser as to when I'm likely to receive my new passport. Luckily, the unis are on holiday until August ... hopefully it'll all be sorted before then.

Edited by rajyindee

Did he not give any kind of turnaround time..it's a bit of a joke that despite debiting your account 5 weeks ago they have no idea where your passport is and all they can say is not to expect it back in the next couple of weeks...

ETD is no big deal if you fancy throwing away another 5320 baht on this process..

Also once you are in the UK how are you going to get back into Thailand where your new passport is going to be.. I thought the ETD could just get you out the country but wouldn't be accepted for coming back in.. Especially if you have just been back to the UK.

I've checked with the Embassy in BKK whether I can do a return journey - they confirmed I can, and told me what documentation I will need (including confirmation of my current address in the case of a return journey being needed). I

If I can pick up my new passport on my return from UK, that would be OK - I don't want to make another return trip from Songkhla to BKK. The cost of the ETD is an expense I could do without.

My advice to anyone whose passport is going to come up for renewal in the future would be to do the same-day service in UK if at all possible (even if it means "losing" a couple of pages and/or months validity).

I submitted my application at Trendy on 9 April and my bank account was debited on 15 April. I am due to travel to UK on 3 June.

I phoned the HMPO people in UK today and eventually got put through to the tracking guy who gave me a reference number in case I have reason to call them again in the future. He basically told me that my passport is going through "the checks" but he couldn't say how far it had progressed and whether it was likely to take another day, week or month. He told me that it was highly unlikely that I would receive my new passport before 2 June ... no big deal - I'll get an ETD next week at the Embassy and head back to Songkhla to transfer my stamps to that from my current passport. I am none the wiser as to when I'm likely to receive my new passport. Luckily, the unis are on holiday until August ... hopefully it'll all be sorted before then.

I agree with Scotthai - it is a big deal, in fact it is a dog's breakfast as we know. The fact that they cannot give a timescale is shocking.

You applied 7 weeks before your travel date - under the old system with Hong Kong you would have been perfectly safe with that timescale.

We were obviously at trendy the same day - my card payment was taken a day later.

I am waiting for a response to my question about what they advise me to do if my passport is not back by 16th June (8 weeks after the card payment was taken) as I shall then be staying illegally in Thailand.

• Like 1

I agree with Scotthai - it is a big deal, in fact it is a dog's breakfast as we know. The fact that they cannot give a timescale is shocking.

You applied 7 weeks before your travel date - under the old system with Hong Kong you would have been perfectly safe with that timescale.

We were obviously at trendy the same day - my card payment was taken a day later.

I am waiting for a response to my question about what they advise me to do if my passport is not back by 16th June (8 weeks after the card payment was taken) as I shall then be staying illegally in Thailand.

I actually intended to send my passport to Liverpool on the 26 March - the day they announced the "with immediate effect" changes (I had been on a trip to Laos up until that date) so I lost 2 weeks waiting on VFS getting their act together at the end of March/beginning of April. I know what will happen - no sooner will I have obtained the ETD than VFS will decide they have my passport ready for collection.

Foreign criminals in the UK get better treatment. The various agencies/authorities fall over themselves making sure a hurdu, arabic, punjabi, polish, romanian or any other nationality get legal representation and a translater at the earliest opportunity. Just a whinge really, but you get the picture???

• Like 1

Lucky you - my visa runs out on 22 May.. So by Friday this week i will be living here illegally... added to this i will also have to pay 500 baht per day until they can send me my new passport.

None of this is my fault (well of course i could always have applied earlier) as when i applied the turnaround time was up to 4 weeks.. that is a reasonable time.. although i have had friends who have received their passports back in under 3 weeks before this new system was put in place..

They should do something to help us avoid the overstay fee.. As long as we can prove that the application was made in time and the payment received by them.. The embassy should arrange something with Thai immigration.. They won't though.. They just wash their hands of us.. As a previous poster said - criminals get better treatment..

Lucky you - my visa runs out on 22 May.. So by Friday this week i will be living here illegally... added to this i will also have to pay 500 baht per day until they can send me my new passport.

None of this is my fault (well of course i could always have applied earlier) as when i applied the turnaround time was up to 4 weeks.. that is a reasonable time.. although i have had friends who have received their passports back in under 3 weeks before this new system was put in place..

They should do something to help us avoid the overstay fee.. As long as we can prove that the application was made in time and the payment received by them.. The embassy should arrange something with Thai immigration.. They won't though.. They just wash their hands of us.. As a previous poster said - criminals get better treatment..

Scot

I don't like being the bearer of bad news,but if this ETD passport is a help for you even if you have to pay the 5,000 odd ฿.it maybe cheaper to apply for the ETD passport

My friend applied about the 5th of march to renew his 13 year old daughters British passport,I'm sure he paid the fees before they were reduced, so i will give you one guess if they have promised him a refund.

Then last week is wife received a letter from HMPO Liverpool saying they wanted more information about proof of address even though under the old system when they applied it would have been returned to there address by DHL that he had paid for when he first applied.

So now its over ten weeks and they are still waiting for a child's five year passport.

Good luck

Scot - are you on a Non-Imm 'O' or an extension ?

I believe that you could do a border run before Friday and get 90 days (with Non Imm O). If on an extension then you could 'renew'. Immigrations systems are not linked and your passport will not show as cancelled.

may cost you 1,300/1,400 Baht but will save overstay charges.

If you are married your local immigration will give you 60 days.

• Like 1

I believe that you could do a border run before Friday and get 90 days (with Non Imm O). If on an extension then you could 'renew'. Immigrations systems are not linked and your passport will not show as cancelled.

I think Scot said that his passport is still valid till 2017 but he as no more space for stamps

I think Scot said that his passport is still valid till 2017 but he as no more space for stamps

oops - sorry Soap - I didn't read back on Scott's posts.

How can HMPO justify a thousand mile round trip (x2) for overseas residents after publishing this snippet yesterday?

Glasgow team helps keep trust in UK passports

“HM Passport Office also utilise a video interview service for first time adult passport customers resident in remote areas of the UK. This service uses 23 local authority offices in Scotland to host a video interview. This service is also used in 3 local authority offices in Wales and 1 in England. Staff in Glasgow Office conduct the majority of the interviews and approximately 70% are for customers attending local authority sites in Scotland and 30% for customers attending local authority sites in England and Wales”.

There you go, I said something like this should happen earlier in this thread. Now get a grip back in Blighty. I can Skype my brother no problem from out here in the Surin outback. What are you waiting for?

• Like 1

Here you go spouse be prepared for a bit of a wait, get the assistants name & note the exact time & date of the call for future reference. +44 3002220000 Just don't hold your breath. If your fee has been taken, the best you can expect is confirmation that it is being processed, but that in itself is some reassurance ie it hasn't gone awol.

• Like 1

Did he not give any kind of turnaround time..it's a bit of a joke that despite debiting your account 5 weeks ago they have no idea where your passport is and all they can say is not to expect it back in the next couple of weeks...

ETD is no big deal if you fancy throwing away another 5320 baht on this process..

Also once you are in the UK how are you going to get back into Thailand where your new passport is going to be.. I thought the ETD could just get you out the country but wouldn't be accepted for coming back in.. Especially if you have just been back to the UK.

I've checked with the Embassy in BKK whether I can do a return journey - they confirmed I can, and told me what documentation I will need (including confirmation of my current address in the case of a return journey being needed). I

If I can pick up my new passport on my return from UK, that would be OK - I don't want to make another return trip from Songkhla to BKK. The cost of the ETD is an expense I could do without.

My advice to anyone whose passport is going to come up for renewal in the future would be to do the same-day service in UK if at all possible (even if it means "losing" a couple of pages and/or months validity).

That is good to know, the website is not that clear. I thought i would be ok with 10 weeks available but your post has put that in doubt.

I had seriously thought about doing both passport and visa when I went back to the UK but with the changes the thought of having to go to London for a few days put me off. Also it would have meant going back a bit sooner than preferred.

On the the general view that immigration do not know that your passport has been cancelled, there should be no reason why I could not just travel back to UK. The obvious problem would be returning. I wonder what they would do if I turned up at HMPO and applied to renew my passport, on the basis that my previous passport, number unknown, was lost( in their system).

Not that I am likely to put it to the test.

Can somebody confirm 100% that no counter signatory is required for PP renewal.

Thanks.

Confirmed - unless your appearance has changed considerably that the old and new photos are not recognisable as being the same person.

Here:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/230586/OS_Guidance_Notes_08.13.pdf

Section 10: Countersignature
Get it right
A ‘countersignatory’ will need to fill
in this section if you are applying:
for a first British passport
to re
place a lost, stolen or damaged passport
to re
new a child passport (if the child is aged 11
or under), or
to re
new a passport (adult, or child aged 12
to 15 years) if you cannot be recognised from
the photograph in your current passport, or to

extend a passport.

Edited by Jip99

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Can somebody confirm 100% that no counter signatory is required for PP renewal.

Thanks.

Confirmed - unless your appearance has changed considerably that the old and new photos are not recognisable as being the same person.

Here:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/230586/OS_Guidance_Notes_08.13.pdf

Section 10: Countersignature
Get it right
A ‘countersignatory’ will need to fill
in this section if you are applying:
for a first British passport
to re
place a lost, stolen or damaged passport
to re
new a child passport (if the child is aged 11
or under), or
to re
new a passport (adult, or child aged 12
to 15 years) if you cannot be recognised from
the photograph in your current passport, or to

extend a passport.

The application form doesn't require section 10 to be filled in by a countersignatory, but I was asked (by the lady at the counter) to have the back of one of the pictures filled in with the given words.(My appearance hasn't changed much as my passport is less than 3yrs old; but full.) Luckily the 3rd person I asked who was waiting on the chairs obliged and we filled in each others photos. I agree the requirements aren't that clear on this point.

How can HMPO justify a thousand mile round trip (x2) for overseas residents after publishing this snippet yesterday?

Glasgow team helps keep trust in UK passports

HM Passport Office also utilise a video interview service for first time adult passport customers resident in remote areas of the UK. This service uses 23 local authority offices in Scotland to host a video interview. This service is also used in 3 local authority offices in Wales and 1 in England. Staff in Glasgow Office conduct the majority of the interviews and approximately 70% are for

customers attending local authority sites in Scotland and 30% for customers attending local authority sites in England and Wales.

I don't believe this

I checked this link out this morning,to read the HMPO patting themselves on the back with the new video service they will offer to British citizens applying for passports in remote areas of the UK.

I have just tried to access the link again only to find that the page is no longer available because it was PUBLISHED iN ERROR.<deleted> are these people doing.

How can this HMPO British government department make so many cock ups and still have the guile to promote on their web sites what a excellent service they are providing.

Its beyond belief that the majority of HMPO staff need some kind of a degree to be employed by the HMPO but. I don't think any of them will ever obtain a degree in common sense.

Well at least it looks like HMPO might be following this thread closely!

We need to remind ourselves how the staff working at HMPO would have been classified in days gone by - they would have been described as Civil Servants.

Nowadays it is we, the Civic Population, who seem to be the servants of these faceless bureaucrats who seem to be tirelessly working so hard to f..k up our lives.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

Another update ...

I e-mailed the tracking people in the UK last week and finally got a response this evening.

What was interesting was this little ditty ...

A renewal application from Thailand will take at least 6 weeks from when Her Majesty's Passport Office receives your declaration in the UK. Please note this is not a guaranteed service and may take longer especially at peak times.

I'm sure I've read recently that they have a "target" of 3 weeks to process applications ... why is it so long if you apply from Thailand?

With a little help from the helpful guys on this thread I went to BKK and got through the whole procedure within 10 minutes. Long time traveling from down south for such a short appointment but at least it is now done and dusted.

Tonight I received an email telling me that they are unable to process the payment from my Bangkok Bank Mastercard. I will go and visit the bank tomorrow to see what the problem is but what is the cheapest way to contact +44 151 471 4302 using my tot fixed line or 121 call on my mobile.

Cheers

JAF

With a little help from the helpful guys on this thread I went to BKK and got through the whole procedure within 10 minutes. Long time traveling from down south for such a short appointment but at least it is now done and dusted.

Tonight I received an email telling me that they are unable to process the payment from my Bangkok Bank Mastercard. I will go and visit the bank tomorrow to see what the problem is but what is the cheapest way to contact +44 151 471 4302 using my tot fixed line or 121 call on my mobile.

Cheers

JAF

Cheapest way is Skype - it looks like a standard UK Land Line number, so with Skype it would work out to 1.4p per minute from Thailand.

Another update ...

I e-mailed the tracking people in the UK last week and finally got a response this evening.

What was interesting was this little ditty ...

A renewal application from Thailand will take at least 6 weeks from when Her Majesty's Passport Office receives your declaration in the UK. Please note this is not a guaranteed service and may take longer especially at peak times.

I'm sure I've read recently that they have a "target" of 3 weeks to process applications ... why is it so long if you apply from Thailand?

The HMPO site page, specific for Thailand, which was last updated on the 15th May quotes:

Your application will take at least 4 weeks from when it’s received by Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK.

So either the back log has really built up just over the last 5 days, or else HMPO are incapable of publicly telling the truth.

Lets be brutally honest about passport renewal service levels..

Same day service - Excellent.

Two Weeks - Normally ok, but could be better.

Four Weeks - Super super slow - really bad service.

Six Weeks - Truly awful service at best - unacceptable.

Eight Weeks - Absolutely appalling service - totally unacceptable.

10 Weeks+ - Any civil servant that offers a passport renewal service this bad really does deserve to be first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Six months, the worst case as promised by Trendy - A level of service which is probably unknown even in the most tin pot of banana republics - insanely bad joke service crazy.gif

• Like 1

Cheers

JAF

Was it a world wide Bangkok bank Mastercard