Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

The HMPO site page, specific for Thailand, which was last updated on the 15th May quotes:

Your application will take at least 4 weeks from when it’s received by Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK.

So either the back log has really built up just over the last 5 days, or else HMPO are incapable of publicly telling the truth.

I have replied to their e-mail. I'll let you know what the response is ...

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank-you for your response.
I am somewhat confused - your reply states "A renewal application from Thailand will take at least 6 weeks from when Her Majesty's Passport Office receives your declaration in the UK.", however, the information shown on the .gov.uk website when I made my application (and is shown as being current as at 15 May 2014) was,
"How long it takes

Your application will take at least 4 weeks from when it’s received by Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK."

This is the same advice that is being quoted verbally by your handling agent (VFS) in Bangkok when applications are submitted. Can you please confirm which advice is correct and which one is erroneous and misleading. If the advice in your response is correct, it would be helpful for other applicants if you amended the .gov.uk website accordingly.

Many thanks in anticipation of your assistance.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With a little help from the helpful guys on this thread I went to BKK and got through the whole procedure within 10 minutes. Long time traveling from down south for such a short appointment but at least it is now done and dusted.

Tonight I received an email telling me that they are unable to process the payment from my Bangkok Bank Mastercard. I will go and visit the bank tomorrow to see what the problem is but what is the cheapest way to contact +44 151 471 4302 using my tot fixed line or 121 call on my mobile.

Cheers

JAF

Was it a world wide Bangkok bank Mastercard

Yes it is but I think that it was overdrawn on the account or that it has not been cleared for UK purchases. I will clear that up with the bank when I go and visit them. This is why I still need the cheapest option to ring the UK using my TOT homeline or mobile number as I cannot buy credit to use on Skype at the moment.

Thanks

JAF

With a little help from the helpful guys on this thread I went to BKK and got through the whole procedure within 10 minutes. Long time traveling from down south for such a short appointment but at least it is now done and dusted.

Tonight I received an email telling me that they are unable to process the payment from my Bangkok Bank Mastercard. I will go and visit the bank tomorrow to see what the problem is but what is the cheapest way to contact +44 151 471 4302 using my tot fixed line or 121 call on my mobile.

Cheers

JAF

Was it a world wide Bangkok bank Mastercard

Yes it is but I think that it was overdrawn on the account or that it has not been cleared for UK purchases. I will clear that up with the bank when I go and visit them. This is why I still need the cheapest option to ring the UK using my TOT homeline or mobile number as I cannot buy credit to use on Skype at the moment.

Thanks

JAF

Have you tried a CAT phonecard (can buy online) - cheap as chips especially to non-mobile numbers.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You can't travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

How would they know?

Proof of residency? I assume that is all out the window as if you go to the embassy it's pretty clear where you are living.

The passport contains an electronic chip, enabling electronic cancellation. This fact would be made known to most immigration offices at airports and land borders. However there is one border crossing into Cambodia where they do not scan passports on either side....................................if you fancy getting away whilst waiting an eternity for a new passport.!

Australia cuts a bit out of the side top of the P/P.even with micro chip, old way but it works.

Bugger Me again!

We then have to go back to the Visa Application Centre to collect the new passport.

This is a wonderful change for someone living in northern Thailand !

They give with one hand and take away with the other!

We don't all live in Bangkok. In my case it is a 6 hour journey (minimum) to Bangkok, and that journey will need to be done twice. Plus inevitibly requiring 2 overnight stays. Others living in Surin and Ubon will travekl for considerably longer.

And once again, being without a passport that can be used for 4 weeks+ Why on earth cannot the old passport be cancelled when collecting the new one (assuming it has not expired)?

Is it legal to be in Thailand without a valid passport? I somehow doubt it! What if in the interim a British citizen is deported? His passport would be invalid, and he would not be allowed to fly!

TOTALLY ABSURD!

There are cases like that already. I know a person who has this problem. He sent his old passport for renewal in March. His application reached Liverpool on the 21st March. But until now, I mean 21st May the old passport is in Liverpool to be examined. His Thai visa has expired already, his old British passport expired already and they don't give a F. He went to British embassy in Thailand. No help, they told him it was his fault to send the original passport to UK!!?? But isn't it a requirement for renewal from overseas to send the original passport? Now Thai Immigration besides the fine warned him if he doesn't have a passport in 40 days he will be deported from Thailand! The calls were made. At UK they said the would send a request as an emergency case to Liverpool which would take another 3 days to be examined and then further information would be delivered by email or phone call.

Sincerely, I'm not British but in my opinion this the worst passport service in the world! What is wrong of issuing passports at the embassy? This is totally F. up.

• Like 1

Bugger Me again!

We then have to go back to the Visa Application Centre to collect the new passport.

We don't all live in Bangkok. In my case it is a 6 hour journey (minimum) to Bangkok, and that journey will need to be done twice. Plus inevitibly requiring 2 overnight stays. Others living in Surin and Ubon will travekl for considerably longer.

And once again, being without a passport that can be used for 4 weeks+ Why on earth cannot the old passport be cancelled when collecting the new one (assuming it has not expired)?

Is it legal to be in Thailand without a valid passport? I somehow doubt it! What if in the interim a British citizen is deported? His passport would be invalid, and he would not be allowed to fly!

TOTALLY ABSURD!

There are cases like that already. I know a person who has this problem. He sent his old passport for renewal in March. His application reached Liverpool on the 21st March. But until now, I mean 21st May the old passport is in Liverpool to be examined. His Thai visa has expired already, his old British passport expired already and they don't give a F. He went to British embassy in Thailand. No help, they told him it was his fault to send the original passport to UK!!?? But isn't it a requirement for renewal from overseas to send the original passport? Now Thai Immigration besides the fine warned him if he doesn't have a passport in 40 days he will be deported from Thailand! The calls were made. At UK they said the would send a request as an emergency case to Liverpool which would take another 3 days to be examined and then further information would be delivered by email or phone call.

Sincerely, I'm not British but in my opinion this the worst passport service in the world! What is wrong of issuing passports at the embassy? This is totally F. up.

He should never have sent his passport, only need to send photo copy.

Bugger Me again!

TOTALLY ABSURD!

He sent the original because that was what they told him when he called the UK for information! You can't trust these people. They do very poor service. Shi tty countries have a better service than this, seriously.

Edited by Thunder26

Bugger Me again!

TOTALLY ABSURD!

Maybe this guy:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/727895-british-embassy-emergency-travel-document/?p=7859997

An ETD should be possible ?

Report the old passport lost/stolen.

Report the old passport lost/stolen.

I had the same thought, but I really don't think its a good idea, as if for some reason they figure out its not been lost or stolen, and realize its in the UK being renewed he may find himself on a sticky wicket,

OK the person made a mistake, but cant believe the BE/PO would leave someone in a foreign country without some form of PP, if this is true then the system is messed up more than I thought it was

Playing a worst case scenario, lets suppose Thailand went down the tubes and the UK started evacuating British Citizens, (I know this will not happen, but if it did), he couldn't even prove he is a British Citizen properly, I cant believe they are so irresponsible

No, it is not the same person. At the British embassy he was told the he couldn't do ETD because he didn't have the original passport.

With respect that is &lt;deleted&gt;.

People lose their passports all the time. That is the whole point of getting an ETD.

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

Get an emergency travel document

An emergency travel document lets you leave another country if you can’t get a new or replacement British passport in time to travel.

You can apply for an emergency travel document (sometimes known as an ‘emergency passport’) if you’re a British national outside the UK and your passport has been lost, stolen, damaged or has expired.

You should first try to renew or replace your passport if it has expired or is damaged. Only apply for an emergency travel document if you need to travel before you can get a replacement.

No, it is not the same person. At the British embassy he was told the he couldn't do ETD because he didn't have the original passport.

With respect that is <deleted>.

People lose their passports all the time. That is the whole point of getting an ETD.

An emergency travel document lets you leave another country if you can’t get a new or replacement British passport in time to travel.

You can apply for an emergency travel document (sometimes known as an ‘emergency passport’) if you’re a British national outside the UK and your passport has been lost, stolen, damaged or has expired.

You should first try to renew or replace your passport if it has expired or is damaged. Only apply for an emergency travel document if you need to travel before you can get a replacement.

but don't lost or stolen PP's require a police report ?....if he did that wouldn't be seen a fraud if he got caught out ?

in the case of damaged or expired PP...you would have the original wouldn't you ?

Problem is it seems he has already told them he has sent his PP, if he turns up again and says it's lost or Stolen they may not believe him any way

Bugger Me again!

TOTALLY ABSURD!

In the guidance notes before the changes on the 26th March,they ticked the box to send your passport with the relevant documents

required.It was in black and white to send your current passport and any outdated passports as i read it.

I was helping my friends 13 year old daughter and i told her to send her expired British passport with the documents

required (she is half Thai)this was on or about the 7th March and she is still waiting for the passport.

They changed the rules on the 26th March without giving any hint whatsoever that these changes were to come into being from the

26 th March

I will try and upload a photo of the guidance note but if it does not turn out if you PM me i can give you the link to the

guidance notes before the changes

Anyone want to see the guidance notes PM me

Edited by soap

With respect that is <deleted>.

but don't lost or stolen PP's require a police report ?....if he did that wouldn't be seen a fraud if he got caught out ?

in the case of damaged or expired PP...you would have the original wouldn't you ?

Problem is it seems he has already told them he has sent his PP, if he turns up again and says it's lost or Stolen they may not believe him any way

Personally, I would take the chance.

The police report is easy and the chances of getting the same person at the embassy is probably remote. The British Embassy and HMPO are unconnected.

The risks (IMO) are minimal versus the consequences of being deported.

Have they moved the goal posts again?

Just thought I'd check up on current procedures and saw this:

Getting your passport

Your passport will be delivered to the UK Visa Application Centre where you applied - you must collect it in person.

They will contact you - using the details on your application form - when your passport is ready to collect.

You must bring your existing passport as photo ID.

Contact the Passport Adviceline

Telephone: +44 (0) 300 222 0000

Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm (UK time)

Saturday, Sunday and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm (UK time)

Find out about call charges

Is there anything wrong with this page?

Last updated: 21 May 2014

So, no more proxy as you have to collect in person.

Edited by watso63

Applying from Malaysia is done online.

How to apply

You must apply and pay for your passport online.

Before you start you need:

your current passport

2 identical new photos of you (or your child, if its a child passport application)

any other current passports issued by other countries

a MasterCard, Visa, Visa Electron, Visa Debit or Maestro (UK Domestic) card - Maestro (International) cards arent accepted

Read the guidance notes to help you fill in your online application. Check which supporting documents you must send with your application. Any documents that arent in English (including documents showing an address) must be translated by a professional translator.

You will need to print, sign and post your declaration form at the end.

EXPATS & DHL must be more trustworthy in Malaysia than Thailand.If a delivery address is an issue in Thailand why on earth would someone go to the trouble of applying for a passport only to give an incorrect delivery address? The internet or "WWW (WORLD WIDE WEB) is just that, so if it's good for Malaysia then it should be good for any country that has a recognised democracy... and is not subject to a dictatorship or Martial Law...DOH???

Edited by watso63
  • Like 1

How to apply

your current passport

2 identical new photos of you (or your child, if its a child passport application)

a MasterCard, Visa, Visa Electron, Visa Debit or Maestro (UK Domestic) card - Maestro (International) cards arent accepted

Read the guidance notes to help you fill in your online application. Check which supporting documents you must send with your application. Any documents that arent in English (including documents showing an address) must be translated by a professional translator.

EXPATS & DHL must be more trustworthy in Malaysia than Thailand.If a delivery address is an issue in Thailand why on earth would someone go to the trouble of applying for a passport only to give an incorrect delivery address? The internet or "WWW (WORLD WIDE WEB) is just that, so if it's good for Malaysia then it should be good for any country that has a recognised democracy... and is not subject to a dictatorship or Martial Law...DOH???

Isn't Malaysia a commonwealth country and Thailand isn't ?...just a thought as to why things are different

How to apply

your current passport

Isn't Malaysia a commonwealth country and Thailand isn't ?...just a thought as to why things are different

No, here's India's:

Your passport will be returned to you by post, or you can arrange for it to be delivered to the British High Commission in New Delhi for you to collect in person. You must specify that you want to collect it in section 8 of the application form.

They will contact you using the details on your application form when your passport is ready to collect.

You must bring photo ID with you.

I looked at a few other application procedures from differing country's this morning. Complete clusterf**k.

Only thing we can hope for is that the HMPO gets its act together and adopts a global application process. Online application with secure postal delivery/collection. Photo by selfie and attached with application. Supporting information by Skype interview. How hard? 555

Only thing we can hope for is that the HMPO gets its act together and adopts a global application process. Online application with secure postal delivery/collection. Photo by selfie and attached with application. Supporting information by Skype interview. How hard? 555

agreed, I guess all people can do is keep complaining and may be just may be someone starts paying attention, or create some publicity around this in the UK,

i.e. Daily Mail story of how pensioners are being made to travel 1000'kms to get their PP, people being left without valid passports, people being refused temporary PP's in a country which is under martial law etc....Thailand is quite topical now in the world news, so this might be the time to try getting a story run.

He is a possibility:

http://www.jamesbrokenshire.com/

Right guy. Note that the email address on the home page is NOT the one to use - it's only for constituent enquiries.

The correct address is on the page http://www.jamesbrokenshire.com/contact

My I humbly suggest that all the aggrieved TV members who have been caught out by the new processes to start sending emails to this guy, I don't know how far it will get you, as it will be some minion reading the emails, but you never know, and obviously write the emails in a professional manner, to the point and don't start getting all hysterical.

HMPO updated their website yesterday (22 May) ... it now says at least 6 weeks to process applications.

At least I can make firm arrangements to go to the embassy next week to get an ETD.

post-145960-0-54979800-1400836696_thumb.

Edited by rajyindee