Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

HMPO updated their website yesterday (22 May) ... it now says at least 6 weeks to process applications.

At least I can make firm arrangements to go to the embassy next week to get an ETD.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-05-23 at 16.10.52.png

More confirmation of my suspicions that that HMPO is following this thread closely!.

I had my passport renewal appointment with Trendy yesterday, then today, Friday - the day after my appointment, I got this email from them - at least the six months outer limit has changed to 9 weeks - a 'sort of improvement'.

Please note that the HMPO email address quoted is still incorrect, even though I have informed trendy and HMPO of this on several occasions already (no 's' in oversea-Newport).

Attending your information updated - please following:

· You should arrive no more than 15 minutes before your appointment time.

· The application what apply in Bangkok, Thailand will process and be considered by HMPO in the UK at least 6 - 9 weeks approximately.

· Please provide your passport and whole pages color copies with your signature on every pages, the other document can be in black-white.

· Thailand country only accept the payment by Credit/Debit card, require to print out and complete the payment form. Submit at the same time with document at HMOP Bangkok Center.

· The applicant need to apply in person in Bangkok, Thailand only

· No posting service but you can allow someone to collect it with your authority latter, please inform it on the day you apply.

· All documents which are not in English need to be translated into English with the official stamp

· The children no need to attend, the parent can apply on behalf of him/her

· We will screen, and search your baggage as you enter our office to ensure the safety of our staff and other customers. Please keep baggage to a minimum to help prevent delays.

· Please check carefully you have completed your application and remember to bring the form, 2 colour photographs and that you have completed a payment form

· For each required supporting document (i.e. birth certificate) please remember to bring the original and a colour photocopy. The original will be handed back to you at the VAC.

· If you are submitting your current passport please bring the original and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (including blank pages). You will not be able to travel on it after you have applied for a new one – but you will be able to keep your current passport for ID purposes.

· If you have a passport application query please contact the Passport Advice Line 0044 300 222 0000 rather than the local Embassy, High Commission or VAC.

More information HMPO:

Site: www.gov.uk

email: [email protected].gov.uk

Tel. + 44 (0) 300 222 0000.

HMPO Bangkok Officer

--------

VFS GLOBAL

EST. 2001 | Partnering Governments. Providing Solutions.

The Trendy Office Building, 28 Floor, 10/200 Sukhumvit soi 13, Klongtoey-Nua, Wattana, Bangkok 10110 Thailand

E mail : [email protected] website : www.vfsglobal.com

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some notes from my trendy Odyssey, I decided to try and do this trip for the minimum cost/time expenditure partly for those that may have to follow:

1) Arrived 20 minutes before my appointed time, they would not let me in without my giving my name, time of application - so looks like they have tightened up on those calling in 'on spec'

2) Lady at Counter 11 was polite and helpful - ten minutes as per sandyf, however she was competent, but not fluent in English - I had to repeat some questions several time before she understood.

3) Passport was not presented, but was asked for and then checked page by page against the colour copies, each of which I was asked to sign in black.

4) Evidence of address was a letter from my employer - my company - wife signed as a director - I asked if they wanted to see company papers/work permit - not interested.

5) No counter signature section filled out, no counter signature asked for, but I was made to sign the rear of both photos in black.

6) Payment form asked for but not checked in any detail, credit card was not asked for to check, 48 page - asked to write 114.01 GBP as payment amount.

7) Was informed that all passport application papers were sent off at the end of each working day, to then arrive in the UK after 4 days.

8) No appointment necessary to collect new passport - told anytime 08:30 to 16:00, mentioned some one was held back until 10:00 am, was told that this must have been a misunderstanding with the 'front desk'.

9) Passport once received will be held for up to 4 weeks after arrival at trendy then would be returned to the UK.

Trip to trendy - tried to look at this like a low cost visa run.

i) Phuket new bus station to Mochit 2 (North Eastern Bus Terminal - clean and pleasant) - 680- THB 18:30 - 06:30 - not later buses than this - sleep on bus 20 min 'water break' at Chumpon.'OTOP/Coach rip off Centre'

ii) City Bus Mochit -2 to Mochit BTS 15 THB.

c) Mochit BTS to Phloen Chitt BTS 42 THB - arrive 08:00 approx.

d) Walk to Trendy which is in a pretty seedy area. - 15 mins.

e) Walk back from Trendy to Phloen Chitt BTS.

f) Phloen Chitt BTS - Sala Daeng BTS (change lines at Siam) - 25 THB.

g) Go by overhead walkway to Chilom MTR.

h) Chilom MTR to Hua Lumpong MTR - 18 THB - approx. 40 minutes journey from Phloen Chit BTS.

I) Find 507 Bus Stop on south side of station (zone 1 exit).

j) Travel to Sai Thai Mai by 507 bus - Southern Bus Terninal (Dirty and unpleasant plus is in in the back of the middle of nowhere) - took 90 minutes (coup that day made for some interesting traffic jams) - apparently normally 30 - 45 mins journey.

g) Sai Mai Thai 19:30 - 08:00 - last coach of the day - 680 THB - sleep on the bus 20 mins 'water break' at Chumpon 'OTOP/Coach rip off Centre' - Grrrrr.

So door to door we are looking at 1800 km, 38 Hours plus two nights at the 'Hotel Back of the Bus' - cost approx 1,475 THB before food - only one day's work missed.

So lets multiply this by 2 (to collect the passport as I don't know anyone who lives in BKK) gives 2,959 THB, assume 54 THB to the GBP - comes to around 54.50 GBP compared to the HMPO 'saving' of 45 GPB compared to the old system.

So I calculate that the 'saving' for someone in HKT from the HMPO reduction is a minimum extra out of pocket cost of - 9 GPB and that's before loss of wages and food costs - Thanks HMPO!

Pleasant trip? - Honestly, no way.

Fun? - No.

Even at this skinflint rate - cheap? - No.

I am looking forward to my next trip already. xunsure.png.pagespeed.ic.E7Vo3qsmeC.png

Thanks HMPO! - I must remember to put you guys on my Xmas list for this year.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

It's confusing ...

Please provide your passport and whole pages color copies with your signature on every pages, the other document can be in black-white ...

For each required supporting document (i.e. birth certificate) please remember to bring the original and a colour photocopy. The original will be handed back to you at the VAC.

It's confusing ...

Please provide your passport and whole pages color copies with your signature on every pages, the other document can be in black-white ...

For each required supporting document (i.e. birth certificate) please remember to bring the original and a colour photocopy. The original will be handed back to you at the VAC.

HMPO Trendy might be incrementally moving forward/getting there, somewhat like British Rail in days gone by, however no one is saying that they have arrived yet - long, long way to go for that.

We've just got to keep challenging them/complaining to get this truly ghastly service improved.

For example should we be pleased that they are now openly admitting that a UK red passport renewal service is currently taking 6 - 9 weeks which is an absolutely appallingly bad level of service?

• Like 1

We've just got to keep challenging them/complaining to get this truly ghastly service improved.

For example should we be pleased that they are now openly admitting that a UK red passport renewal service is currently taking 6 - 9 weeks which is an absolutely appallingly bad level of service?

I guess the key is to keep complaining to who ever you can, and maybe someone in the UK will start paying attention...

• Like 2

2) Lady at Counter 11 was polite and helpful - ten minutes as per sandyf, however she was competent, but not fluent in English - I had to repeat some questions several time before she understood.

5) No counter signature section filled out, no counter signature asked for, but I was made to sign the rear of both photos in black.

May have been a different lady, No countersignature and I was not asked to sign the photos. They were in a small plastic cover stapled to the application. She just rubbed them between her fingers to check there was two. not removed from the cover or the application.

Nana BTS (E3) is the nearest to Trendy. Leave via Exit No 2 and walk to the right, second soi with sign for Miami Hotel. About 5 mins from Nana and just past Miami Hotel.

May have been a different lady, No countersignature and I was not asked to sign the photos. They were in a small plastic cover stapled to the application. She just rubbed them between her fingers to check there was two. not removed from the cover or the application.

Nana BTS (E3) is the nearest to Trendy. Leave via Exit No 2 and walk to the right, second soi with sign for Miami Hotel. About 5 mins from Nana and just past Miami Hotel.

......or you might get the third option that I, and the next person after me, got that was too sign the back of just one photo. Take your pick?

• Like 1

Did anyone get a reference number when submitting their application at VFS Trendy ?

I phoned the HMPO hotline and they said they couldn't tell me anything without a reference/tracking number, which I didn't get.

They also said the wait time for a new (first issue) passport has been raised to a minimum of eight weeks - not sure if this applies to renewals?

Would quite like a passport incase things go t1ts up next week!

Thanks.

The first guy I spoke to couldn't tell me very much but he handed me over to the "tracking guy". He gave me a tracking number (10 digits) but all he could actually do was to confirm my passport had been received at Liverpool - no indication at all as to how much longer the process would take.

Did anyone get a reference number when submitting their application at VFS Trendy ?

I phoned the HMPO hotline and they said they couldn't tell me anything without a reference/tracking number, which I didn't get.

They also said the wait time for a new (first issue) passport has been raised to a minimum of eight weeks - not sure if this applies to renewals?

Would quite like a passport incase things go t1ts up next week!

Thanks.

Specifically asked for a Tracking Number when applying at Trendy, they only provided an A4 double sided handwritten application receipt and confirmed that they do not issue tracking/receipt numbers.

On pressing the question again, I was also told to phone the HMPO UK Help Line at least 4 days after application (minimum application carriage time) and ask them for a tracking number - this I will do.

However HMPO online guidance notes state that if you have not applied on-line, then you must wait a minimum of three weeks before applying for a tracking number, this by supplying your application receipt number/barcode, neither of which are on the receipt from Trendy.

Let's see how HMPO deal with this one.

HMPO updated their website yesterday (22 May) ... it now says at least 6 weeks to process applications.

At least I can make firm arrangements to go to the embassy next week to get an ETD.

Appreciate the feedback on that, could end up in the same boat.

a 50% increase in time is rediculous when they have services like fast track in the UK and you can get your new passport in a week

Everyone in Thailand has to attend personally the same as someone using Fastrack and you have to go back and pick it up personally.

Why on earth aren't expats offered a similar service?

Too bad if someone was depending on them turning it round in 4 weeks and they find themselves on automatic overstay because their new passpotrt hasn't arrived.

That's another 7,000 Baht they have to find and more if it takes longer than the new 6 weeks estimate.

Reading the tales of woe on here it would seem everyone is paying much more than they were before one way or another.

• Like 1

Appreciate the feedback on that, could end up in the same boat.

a 50% increase in time is rediculous when they have services like fast track in the UK and you can get your new passport in a week

Everyone in Thailand has to attend personally the same as someone using Fastrack and you have to go back and pick it up personally.

Why on earth aren't expats offered a similar service?

Too bad if someone was depending on them turning it round in 4 weeks and they find themselves on automatic overstay because their new passpotrt hasn't arrived.

That's another 7,000 Baht they have to find and more if it takes longer than the new 6 weeks estimate.

Reading the tales of woe on here it would seem everyone is paying much more than they were before one way or another.

If you are in the UK there are 5 options for passport renewal

The Premium service means you’ll get your passport within 4 hours of your application being accepted. You must go to the Passport Customer Service Centre to collect it.

The Fast Track service means your passport is delivered to your home address within 1 week of your application being accepted.

Passport Check & Send service -Using Check & Send is usually faster than posting your own application. Her Majesty’s Passport Office may still need to contact either you or your countersignatory to check details.( I did this last time about 4 years ago, took about 12 days)

Standard Service - It takes 3 weeks to get your passport(from website)

Online Service - It takes at least 6 weeks to get your first adult passport once your form has been received. For all other application types, it takes 3 weeks.

It certainly looks as if overseas applications are being pushed to the back of the queue.

Before access to UK Daily Mail was cut off, the paper yesterday ran an article about the uproar in the UK about passport applications.

The standard wait seems to be now 9 weeks, and people are being told by the Passport Office if they want their PPT any faster, pay for fast-track.

Seems families are cancelling holiday bookings - made almost a year ago, in the belief their passport would be returned in the time stated on the Passport Service web site.

Sorry. Can't post the link. Daily Mail is blacked out in Thailand now.

My mastercard payment was refused so I need to contact them. The phone number they gave me is not being answered. Can anyone tell me if I using the right number bearing in mind that I am using the 008 prefix to save costs.:-

this is the number I am ringing:-

008 44 151 471 4302

Cheers guys

JAF

Sorry. Can't post the link. Daily Mail is blacked out in Thailand now.

You sure?

Links to the domain root, i.e. http://www.dailymail.co.uk don't work. I get this when I try to go there: http://t1.dyndns-at-home.com/graffic.png

Links to individual pages within the site are still OK.

The site itself has an article titled "MailOnline blocked in Thailand by military junta after publishing video ...".

• Like 1

Can You pay for the Passport in Thai Money, many old Brits have only ATM Cards and don't use Credit,?.

No. The very helpful passport uk office will tell you if you have no credit card get a friend to let use his card. I myself never ever had a credit card but it is a lot easier to get one in thailand than uk.

This little snippet made me laugh.

The Passport Office, part of the Home Office, has received around 300,000 more applications since January than in the same period last year. A spokesman for the agency blamed the surge on ‘the improving economy and a rise in holiday bookings’.

The "improving economy" in the UK causes passport pandemonium yet the £ weakened against the Thai Baht since last Thursday??? 55555555555

All the more reason to have a Thai/SE Asia passport office then.

Does Liverpool deal just with overseas passports or UK domestic applications too?

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by watso63

Can You pay for the Passport in Thai Money, many old Brits have only ATM Cards and don't use Credit,?.

No. The very helpful passport uk office will tell you if you have no credit card get a friend to let use his card. I myself never ever had a credit card but it is a lot easier to get one in thailand than uk.

No ATM card will work as they are electronic.............That's computer to computer........The passport office (a 3rd partt) put your card number in physically so It wil get knocked back.

Get a kasikorn Virtual Card.........100% they will accept that method of payment.

In case you don't know what a virtual card is...........unlike the ATM they give you, it's not something you have physically in your hand.

You log in on the internet and the number is shown in your Kbank account. Not the same numbers that are on your ATM card.

You can open a Kasikorn Bank account easily if you are living here full time with the correct visa.. You then ask for a Kbank account you can use to pay bills or shop on the internet and it only takes 24 hours to activate your KBank.

Thank You. Now I shall have Explain to a Proud 82 Y.O Old Brit his pension Money they send him is worthless, and take him to BKK Bank to upgrade his basic ATM Card.Jeeez You Brits have some real swine running your once great nation, made GREAT by People like Him.

• Like 1

This little snippet made me laugh.

The Passport Office, part of the Home Office, has received around 300,000 more applications since January than in the same period last year. A spokesman for the agency blamed the surge on ‘the improving economy and a rise in holiday bookings’.

The "improving economy" in the UK causes passport pandemonium yet the £ weakened against the Thai Baht since last Thursday??? 55555555555

All the more reason to have a Thai/SE Asia passport office then.

Does Liverpool deal just with overseas passports or UK domestic applications too?

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

How about this for accuracy

A spokesman for the Passport Office said: ‘We have brought in extra staff to respond to the extra demand, we are operating seven days a week and our couriers are delivering passports within 24 hours of [them] being produced.

‘There is no backlog, we have issued over three million passports so far this year and more than 98 per cent of straightforward passport renewals continue to be processed within three weeks.’

The straightforward renewals must have been for him his wife and kids

Edited by Tanlic

Now he tells me they need a paper sent to him from a Brit Government Body not older than 1 Year. How can he produce such a paper?. The Queen doesn't send him a Christmas Card , and his last pension letter is 2 Years Old. Whats his address here got to do with it, when I have to take him back to collect it. I recon someone has gone a little stupid. Im Portuguese, Britain's Oldest Allie, and getting rather angy the way England is treating its OlD Folks. Whats he Do.?. Ask the Queen to write to Him.

Tanlic. The only method of payment is a world wide credit card.

Do you think for one minute I would post if I wasn't 100% certain..........xwacko.png.pagespeed.ic.jGW10VtQsI.png

You better tell the Liverpool passport office and the Kasikorn bank that because I already paid with the Kasikorn Virtual Card and it has already come out of my account...........as have other members of Thaivisa

I'm not in the habit of putting people away nor do I post if I am not 100% certain unlike you.

I have been ringing all day and I am still ringing the passport office regarding my card being refused. Rang the number 008 44 151 471 4302 over 80 times and all it does is ring ring ring. On 4 occasions I got an engaged tone but after ringing the number again it just continues to ring ring ring.

A thoroughly frustrating and incompetent service so far

JAF.

I have been ringing all day and I am still ringing the passport office regarding my card being refused. Rang the number 008 44 151 471 4302 over 80 times and all it does is ring ring ring. On 4 occasions I got an engaged tone but after ringing the number again it just continues to ring ring ring.

A thoroughly frustrating and incompetent service so far

JAF.

Just a thought - have you tried the main HMPO help line number +44 300 222 0000 (it's a regular UK landline call) - maybe they could get you an internal connection or explain why the finance dept is not answering calls.

HMPO at least should know that their finance dept couldn't be bothered to answer their phones or that they are swamped under a mass of financial enquiries.

• Like 1