Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

Well mine is a Bangkok Bank Be1st Visa debit card and allegedly accepted in over 200 countries according to their link below. Something's obviously not right if HMPO can't process it despite the bangkok bank call center assuring me my card would be fine...

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/Be1stVisaDebitCard/Be1stCard/Pages/default.aspx

Edited by guru

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Trying to get to the bottom of this, I called bangkok bank and they claim the reason for HMPO not being able to process my debit card was that my card was set to a 5k purchase limit and the 48 page passport is over this. I never knew there was a default limit of 5k so there we go I learned something.

After paying on Thurs April 14, I received an SMS from DHL today, Mon18th, saying my passport is estimated to arrive in Trendy on the 20th with a tracking number that tells me it's currently in Heathrow. After reading this thread, this is the first time I've read about return leg tracking....

• Like 1

OK, I know that it is just a guestimate but do you guys think 6 weeks or 4 weeks at the tightest end of Mid-July to end of August would be enough time for a turnaround of a new passport ?

It will be right after the main summer UK rush and before the October week in UK. After a final extension that is the time I will have to try and process a new passport after using the final space in my passport.

I applied in Trendy on April 1st, paid on 14th and according to DHL tracking the passport will arrive back in Trendy on 20th April. This timeframe seems like a current trend from reading back through this thread.

OK, I know that it is just a guestimate but do you guys think 6 weeks or 4 weeks at the tightest end of Mid-July to end of August would be enough time for a turnaround of a new passport ?

It will be right after the main summer UK rush and before the October week in UK. After a final extension that is the time I will have to try and process a new passport after using the final space in my passport.

I can only answer from recent personal experience.

An application for my daughters first UK passport took 16 days from application to receiving the passport including the Easter bank holiday weekend.

The service was excellent and the DHL tracking of the passport alerted me well before it was back in Bangkok I tracked it for the whole 5 days from the initial SMS.

I can not imagine that the process should differ to greatly depending g on the time of the year,it does seem they have got their act together.

• Like 1

I applied in Trendy on April 1st, paid on 14th and according to DHL tracking the passport will arrive back in Trendy on 20th April. This timeframe seems like a current trend from reading back through this thread.

Do you have to go exactly on the date of the arrival of the DHL delivery, or do they give you a date or can you just go in within 7 days of the arrival with ID etc to collect it ?

No you don't have to go on the exact day of delivery. Trendy will call and email you when it arrives and you can go and collect it and surrender your old passport for corners to be cut. Previous posters have stated that Trendy verbally told them there is a 1 month time limit before your passport is returned to the UK.

• 4 weeks later...

2 questions

1. i will be using a friends card to pay for fee but he is in the uk so cant sign the payment form, is it ok to leave the signature blank or should i just sign it

2. what's acceptable as proof of address, all i have is visa stamps in passport or my rental contract written in english

just looking for some updated info on the above thanks all

Trying to get to the bottom of this, I called bangkok bank and they claim the reason for HMPO not being able to process my debit card was that my card was set to a 5k purchase limit and the 48 page passport is over this. I never knew there was a default limit of 5k so there we go I learned something.

-------------------------------------

Wen you get a new Be1st debit card from Bangkok Bank....as i did recently.....on the application form there is a choice of daily ATM limits you can elect.

if you go over that limit in a 24 hour period.....the withdrawal will be disallowed.

I set mine to 20,000 Baht daily.

Regarding the proof of address, I'm on a non imm 'o' 60 day stamp, is proof required? And if so, is my condo rental contract and the condo tam bian ban enough?

Yes, proof of your name at an address in Thailand is always required.

This an HMPO requirement designed to help them combat 'identity theft'.

Here is an HMPO list of acceptable documentation for proof according to HMPO:

We have contacted our Liverpool Overseas Team on your behalf who has confirmed that you must submit at least one piece of evidence to confirm the address you currently use and it must be dated within the last year. You may choose from the following:

Tax record e.g. letter from tax authority

Educational record e.g. school report

Employment record e.g. official letter from your employer

A letter sent to you from a central, regional or local Government department

National identity card or equivalent (or colour photocopy)

Visa or resident permit (or colour photocopy)

Where none of the above is available consideration may be given to bank statements, utility bills or their equivalents.

Any documents that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original.

Visas as listed above rarely have one's address details.

If your rental contract is in English or accompanied by a certified translation, plus dated within the past year, then that should be ok.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone have any experience of current turnaround times

thanks

Last month it took, for me, 16 days from handing in application to getting new passport in my hand.

For info ref Thai address.....I used colour copy of Thai driving license with address self translated.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I remember reading you have a month to collect it, but others may correct me on that.

dosen't say anything in the email that they sent saying ready for collection

Trendy have stated in the past that they would send uncollected passports back to the UK for destruction if they were not collected within a month of arrival, if nothing had been heard from the original applicant.

• Like 1

How long from when you contact them till you get an appointment and can you request an appointment window 1 month later ?

Last month I sent an email request on the 9th for an appointment on the 17, 18 or 19th. Go a reply the same day confirming 18th. No idea how far in advance it is possible to book.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just like to say it took 14 days turnaround on my passport for those wondering about current timescales....very efficient. No queues.

I gave driving license/bank statement and lease and that combo seemed to do with no further paperwork requested.

13 days from handing in paperwork for return and that was for a damaged passport which required new countersignature photos and details of the counter-signatory. WRT proof of address I was able to use a simple letter signed and stamped by the juristic person at the condo confirming that I was residing there. No hassle, very quick process overall. The only problem was that I paid for a jumbo 48 page and simply received standard 9but was charged for Jumbo). However having got my grubby paws on the passport I was not prepared to wait for a new one to be issued. Also with tourist visas it would seem better to get a fresh passport more regularly when applying at nearby consulates.