BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Basset

Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

You will get a receipt that also includes a DHL tracking number.

You will get a phone call and an email when your new passport arrives in Bangkok.

That's great, thanks, Karen. wai.gif

The DHL Tracking number trail ends when your application is signed for at HMPO Liverpool.

You will then see that your credit card is debited about one -two working days after your papers arrive at HMPO Liverpool.

After that there is no on-line way of determining progress, as posted above, you will get a call from trendy when they have you replacement passport in BKK.

Providing there are no issues with your application paperwork/payment, then the reported turn around stands at around 2-3 weeks from application to collection notification.

• Like 1

Just to complete the circle:

I was about to run off to the KBank this morning, then I thought better call and get someone who speaks good English than listen to myself speaking Thai

THEN an SMS came on my phone. It MAY have been 24 hours after application anyway there was about a day wait.

I had NOT received an email as it mentions in the information from KBank above.

I did my best to read the Thai message.

It didn't mention a KWeb shopping card it just said Km alert spending for card x-1234 (last four numbers though I didn't realise it at this stage) is "riabroy laew" (all set to go).

I went to the cyber site and logged in with my new username and altered password. No prob....the site works fast and well.

I clicked on Kweb shopping card and discovered I had a card number and it was ACTIVE.

I double checked against the physical card issued already to ensure it was NOT the same 16 digit number. It was not.

It sure looks like i have a Shopping Card (virtual) ready to go.

I still have not received any emails as told.

Sure hope my little story helps make the next guy's application less confusing.

Thanks for all help, I shall complete my passport application henceforth!

Thanks for the update; looks like good news. clap2.gif

Good luck with your passport application, please keep the thread posted - thanks.

Just to complete the circle:

I was about to run off to the KBank this morning, then I thought better call and get someone who speaks good English than listen to myself speaking Thai

THEN an SMS came on my phone. It MAY have been 24 hours after application anyway there was about a day wait.

I had NOT received an email as it mentions in the information from KBank above.

I did my best to read the Thai message.

It didn't mention a KWeb shopping card it just said Km alert spending for card x-1234 (last four numbers though I didn't realise it at this stage) is "riabroy laew" (all set to go).

I went to the cyber site and logged in with my new username and altered password. No prob....the site works fast and well.

I clicked on Kweb shopping card and discovered I had a card number and it was ACTIVE.

I double checked against the physical card issued already to ensure it was NOT the same 16 digit number. It was not.

It sure looks like i have a Shopping Card (virtual) ready to go.

I still have not received any emails as told.

Sure hope my little story helps make the next guy's application less confusing.

Thanks for all help, I shall complete my passport application henceforth!

Well done Cheeryble

It could have been worse

You could have been building a house as well Ha ha

Well done Cheeryble

It could have been worse

You could have been building a house as well Ha ha

Only a Scouser would come up with that!

Well as we are rounding off, I'll add my continuing tale to the mix. As keen observers no doubt already know- I applied back in May and got my passport back in 2 weeks. The day I picked it up I applied for my visa swop letter by email from the UK embassy- long story short, it took 4 emails, 4 telephone conversations and 17 days until I finally got the letter by ems. So if you don't get a quick response, contact them by phone. Immigration (Nakhon Pathom) stated on query that they would not accept the email version that the embassy send out before the EMS. You also need to provide copies of your 2 passport photo pages, your TM card, your original visa (even if like me you are on your 3rd passport and your original visa was 13 years ago), and your most recent extension pages. For me it was about 15-20 pages or so. The immigration officer told me I would have to go out and get them as they had no facilities available. Then a bit later she shushed me and bade me sit quietly while she went off. 2 minutes later she came back with all the copies done and a cheeky smile. Bless her cotton socks.

Well as we are rounding off, I'll add my continuing tale to the mix. As keen observers no doubt already know- I applied back in May and got my passport back in 2 weeks. The day I picked it up I applied for my visa swop letter by email from the UK embassy- long story short, it took 4 emails, 4 telephone conversations and 17 days until I finally got the letter by ems. So if you don't get a quick response, contact them by phone. Immigration (Nakhon Pathom) stated on query that they would not accept the email version that the embassy send out before the EMS. You also need to provide copies of your 2 passport photo pages, your TM card, your original visa (even if like me you are on your 3rd passport and your original visa was 13 years ago), and your most recent extension pages. For me it was about 15-20 pages or so. The immigration officer told me I would have to go out and get them as they had no facilities available. Then a bit later she shushed me and bade me sit quietly while she went off. 2 minutes later she came back with all the copies done and a cheeky smile. Bless her cotton socks.

Bit surprised that they wanted a copy of your original visa since I would have thought that this was covered in the stamps they presumably placed on the first page of passport #2 (which I assume is the one being renewed in your case) 10 years ago! That said TIT, of course.

Bit surprised that they wanted a copy of your original visa since I would have thought that this was covered in the stamps they presumably placed on the first page of passport #2 (which I assume is the one being renewed in your case) 10 years ago! That said TIT, of course.

When I got my last one 10 years ago the system was different, and they did not transfer the visa in the same way as they do now. I was supposed to carry both the expired and active passport at the same time, although not all officers demanded it and I left the country on more than one occasion with just #2. The first stamp in my #2 passport is just a normal 'application to stay is permitted' for one year.

When I got my last one 10 years ago the system was different, and they did not transfer the visa in the same way as they do now. I was supposed to carry both the expired and active passport at the same time, although not all officers demanded it and I left the country on more than one occasion with just #2. The first stamp in my #2 passport is just a normal 'application to stay is permitted' for one year.

Even today "VISAS" are never transferred.!

A valid VISA in an expired passport requires that both passports to be presented to immigration authorities.

Even today "VISAS" are never transferred.!

A valid VISA in an expired passport requires that both passports to be presented to immigration authorities.

Yes that is correct, however there is a subtle point that when you have an extension of stay, along with the details of that extension, a note is also transferred into your new passport as to the original visa/type/entry that one's current sequence of extensions started from.

Never gets mentioned in advice, because it would confuse the f..k out of some one who has an extant visa in the old passport, where that is never transferred to a replacement passport.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

Went for 90 day report with my new PP. They put the number of my old PP and extension info in the new PP. She said forget old PP..........

Of course I won't, but seems their PC logs everything regarding info to new PP...

• Like 2

Went for 90 day report with my new PP. They put the number of my old PP and extension info in the new PP. She said forget old PP..........

Of course I won't, but seems their PC logs everything regarding info to new PP...

Indeed- on my latest passport there are 2 pages full of stamps detailing my original visa. That did not happen on my second one- just an extension of stay stamp. The officer this time specifically told me that I no longer need to carry either of my old passports.

My apologies nzexapt, I should have said that they didn't transfer the details of the visa in the same way on my second passport. The process that Digitalchromakey describes did not exist 10 years ago.

Indeed- on my latest passport there are 2 pages full of stamps detailing my original visa. That did not happen on my second one- just an extension of stay stamp. The officer this time specifically told me that I no longer need to carry either of my old passports.

My apologies nzexapt, I should have said that they didn't transfer the details of the visa in the same way on my second passport. The process that Digitalchromakey describes did not exist 10 years ago.

Yes, it is good to know of actual proof that once all the paper trail of the grandfathering visa and history of subsequent, related extensions have been scribbled into the new passport, there's no need to furnish copies of the original visa, subsequent extensions and all related re-entry permits. I just hope that this trickles down to more backwoodsy Immigration office (you know there are some) when some poor bugger relocates to the back of beyond and gets the evil attitude and "Cannot!" (you know they can do it) when his 360-days are up.

• Like 1

Yes, it is good to know of actual proof that once all the paper trail of the grandfathering visa and history of subsequent, related extensions have been scribbled into the new passport, there's no need to furnish copies of the original visa, subsequent extensions and all related re-entry permits. I just hope that this trickles down to more backwoodsy Immigration office (you know there are some) when some poor bugger relocates to the back of beyond and gets the evil attitude and "Cannot!" (you know they can do it) when his 360-days are up.

I think you will find that their are very few ( or any) immigration offices that will want copies of your old passport after you get your stamps transferred now.

I use the same back woods immigration office that Trans does and they were very happy to transfer my stamps over to my new passport when I presented it with the required copies of the old one along with my extension of stay application. They were happy enough that they made copies of the transferred stamps and trashed the copies of my old passport I had attached to my application and handed back my old passport back to me.

• Like 1

I think you will find that their are very few ( or any) immigration offices that will want copies of your old passport after you get your stamps transferred now.

I use the same back woods immigration office that Trans does and they were very happy to transfer my stamps over to my new passport when I presented it with the required copies of the old one along with my extension of stay application. They were happy enough that they made copies of the transferred stamps and trashed the copies of my old passport I had attached to my application and handed back my old passport back to me.

Yea- although my Thai and eyesight are both somewhat limited, the stamps that I got this time seem to give a pretty comprehensive explanation of my visa history- way back to 2002. My original visa from 2001 is of course not mentioned. It was a bit of a task to find my original visa as that passport was buried under mud in PP in the tsunami, but she battled through all the same. I presume that is what it is all about anyway- you can afford to sling out your passports because now they have the paper trail filed away in a warehouse somewhere. Still it's nice not to have to carry two- as I said mine was quite badly damaged in the Tsunami, and whilst it was always accepted, it was a bit embarrassing.