BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Basset

Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

While this thread is exclusively about UK passport renewals I think that it is interesting to see the way the US operates with regard passport renewal in Thailand.

This from a notice of a US outreach visit to Udon Thani:

"Passport renewal applications ($110.00 or Baht 3,410.00 for adult passports, and $105.00 or Baht 3, 255.00 for a child’s passport). There are two options for obtaining your new passport; (a) The mail back option: There will be prepaid Thailand Post envelopes (costing Baht 80.00) available for purchase if you wish to have your passport mailed back to you. Please note your current passport MUST be submitted to the consular officer if you will be requesting this option. (B) Collecting in person from the Embassy: You may collect your passport in person from the Embassy in Bangkok. Or, you may give written authorization for someone to collect the passport on your behalf. Choosing this option will allow you to hold your passport until you pick up your new passport at the Embassy".

Notice that they allow a 'mail back' option and that the current passport MUST be submitted to the consular officer when choosing this method, which seems to suggest the US citizens do not have to have their passport available for inspection at all times as is required of UK citizens. Furthermore, the option to be able to nominate an authorized person to collect the new passport seems to be a useful and logical thing to offer.

Perhaps, as the new system evolves, the UK passport renewal process may become as easy as that of the Americans.

While this thread is exclusively about UK passport renewals I think that it is interesting to see the way the US operates with regard passport renewal in Thailand.

This from a notice of a US outreach visit to Udon Thani:

"Passport renewal applications ($110.00 or Baht 3,410.00 for adult passports, and $105.00 or Baht 3, 255.00 for a child’s passport). There are two options for obtaining your new passport; (a) The mail back option: There will be prepaid Thailand Post envelopes (costing Baht 80.00) available for purchase if you wish to have your passport mailed back to you. Please note your current passport MUST be submitted to the consular officer if you will be requesting this option. (cool.png Collecting in person from the Embassy: You may collect your passport in person from the Embassy in Bangkok. Or, you may give written authorization for someone to collect the passport on your behalf. Choosing this option will allow you to hold your passport until you pick up your new passport at the Embassy".

Notice that they allow a 'mail back' option and that the current passport MUST be submitted to the consular officer when choosing this method, which seems to suggest the US citizens do not have to have their passport available for inspection at all times as is required of UK citizens. Furthermore, the option to be able to nominate an authorized person to collect the new passport seems to be a useful and logical thing to offer.

Perhaps, as the new system evolves, the UK passport renewal process may become as easy as that of the Americans.

That is special provision for the outreach visits. I think if a person wanted their old passport back before getting the new one they could pay to have it sent back after the consular officers scan it But since it only takes about 10 days to get the new passport most people would not be concerned about the few days they would be without their passport.

If you apply in person you have the option of having your new passport sent to you by EMS.

I think the UK (and others) could learn a few things from the US about overseas passport renewals. All you need is an application form and your old passport to apply (plus the fee of course). They scan your old passport and submit the application digitally. My new passports issue date is the same as the date I applied.

Of course the big difference is that the embassy and the passport centers are under the same branch of government (State Department).

I agree with that but it only applies to here.

Overseas applications means going to an embassy or official consulate to apply and it can take up to two months to get the new one.

I agree with that but it only applies to here.

Overseas applications means going to an embassy or official consulate to apply and it can take up to two months to get the new one.

I understand.

But it doesn't have to be like that.

If responsibility for issuing overseas passport renewals rested with the British Embassy the same system could apply.

As an earlier poster suggested, the embassy could hold a stock of passports - or if that was deemed too risky simply trigger approval for UK production then post out.

The personal application ensures security - fingerprinting, biometric data, whatever - the rest is down to production efficiency. The embassy could also cut the corners of the passport to remove any risks relating to the old passport.

• Like 1

The UK system is a shambles simply because the UK Embassy interprets Thai law as saying you must carry your "passport". I'm not convinced that's what the actual law states ... I'm sure I read somewhere previously that it was more something along the lines of being able to prove your identity and/or your permission to be in the country and someone in the UK Consular offices interpreted that as meaning being in possession of your passport and clearly state on their website, "By law you must carry your passport with you at all times. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport." I could be totally wrong - but I must have read it somewhere. What does it say on the US Embassy website?

As an aside, it's interesting that the manager character at Trendy insisted that any enquiries should be addressed to the Consular folk at the UK Embassy, yet their automated email response contains the following info ...

post-145960-0-61951500-1398484572_thumb.

Thanks folks, a few ideas there. Seems like I might be able to switch nationalities if I fly out, but won't be able to do so at a land border.

The central issue seems to be that there's no way to know whether my existing UK passport has already been cancelled.

At least, no way other than by trying to use it to fly somewhere.

Can anyone tell me what the worst case scenario would be if I tried to use a cancelled UK passport to board a cheap local international flight?

If it's just a polite "sorry, cannot", and a taxi home, then I think it's worth the gamble.

But if the worst case scenario involves immigration police and being thrown in jail, then it's probably not!

You have submitted the application ?.....they have taken the money ?......your existing PP has been cancelled

That's not what I was told on the phone, when I made enquiries back in March. The man I spoke to told me that my existing passport would only be cancelled right at the end of the process, just before the new passport was mailed out to me.

As others have pointed out already though, not worth the risk either way.

Thanks folks, a few ideas there. Seems like I might be able to switch nationalities if I fly out, but won't be able to do so at a land border.

The central issue seems to be that there's no way to know whether my existing UK passport has already been cancelled.

Can anyone tell me what the worst case scenario would be if I tried to use a cancelled UK passport to board a cheap local international flight?

If it's just a polite "sorry, cannot", and a taxi home, then I think it's worth the gamble.

But if the worst case scenario involves immigration police and being thrown in jail, then it's probably not!

You have submitted the application ?.....they have taken the money ?......your existing PP has been cancelled

That's not what I was told on the phone, when I made enquiries back in March. The man I spoke to told me that my existing passport would only be cancelled right at the end of the process, just before the new passport was mailed out to me.

My understanding is once they receive your application and take the money off you, your existing passport is cancelled, I renewed my PP earlier on in the year and was worried about getting it back on time to do some business trips and was told in no uncertain terms do not travel on the "current" passport, and if I need to travel get a temporary PP from the BE in BKK, in the end it all worked out as I got my pp back in 24 days door to door

Of course it would be courteous and be very much appreciated to be informed that your passport had been approved and posted to you with a postal tracking reference.

Meanwhile, I still remain sitting around on my hands arguing (sorry for that) with TV Trollsters.

I think the current Trendy process is going to have to be reviewed. It really doesn't seem fit for purpose. Even with literate English speaking staff it still involves costly and unnecessary difficulties for many.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Payment

I notice on the instructions

"You must ensure that you have checked with your card provider that your card is valid, for this international transaction, and that adequate funds are available."
Does anyone know if the local bank cards can be used to pay this sterling charge?

I always thought they could only be used locally.

Does anyone know if you can pay cash to the Bangkok office if you don't have a credit card or a UK bank account?

Confused!!!!!

Payment

"You must ensure that you have checked with your card provider that your card is valid, for this international transaction, and that adequate funds are available."

Does anyone know if the local bank cards can be used to pay this sterling charge?

Does anyone know if you can pay cash to the Bangkok office if you don't have a credit card or a UK bank account?

Confused!!!!!

I registered my Bangkok Bank VISA card with Paypal to pay my 365sport.tv subscription no problems. If your bank card says VISA on it then I suppose it is subject to normal VISA rules. If you just have a normal card try registering it with Paypal first.

Payment

Confused!!!!!

You cannot pay by cash.

It MUST be a credit/debit card. Find a friend if necessary.

Applying for a passport from outside the UK
Paying by Credit Card or Debit Card
Please fill in the instruction below and include it with your passport application. A separate
instruction should accompany
each
application. We accept Mastercard, Visa, Electron, Diners
Club and JCB. You must ensure that you have checked with your card provider that your card is
valid, for this international transaction, and that adequate funds are available.
The 16 digit number (14 digits for Diners Club only)
must
be included below. If this number is not
included payment will not be processed. Your application will be delayed if your card has run out
or you do not give your card's expiry date, or the security number. If you do not write the correct
fee in the instruction, we will still charge the correct fee for the service you have asked for.
Applicant's name:
Applicant's date of birth:
What card are you paying with?
Mastercard
Visa
Electron
Diners Club
JCB
Security Number:
(the last three numbers
shown on your card's
signature strip)
Card number:
(the number shown on the front of your card)
Expiry date
(MM,YY)
Valid from
(MM,YY)
Fee you are paying:
(application and courier fee)
£
Cardholder's signature:
Cardholder's name:
Cardholder's address:
(including postcode where applicable, and country)
Cardholder's telephone number:
(including the international code)
Cardholder's email address:
Edited by ubonjoe
Changed font size

My understanding is once they receive your application and take the money off you, your existing passport is cancelled, I renewed my PP earlier on in the year and was worried about getting it back on time to do some business trips and was told in no uncertain terms do not travel on the "current" passport, and if I need to travel get a temporary PP from the BE in BKK, in the end it all worked out as I got my pp back in 24 days door to door

Thanks for that. Hopefully mine will show up in the next week or so. 24 days sounds great, I've been waiting for more than double that already!

If it doesn't, do you know whether I can get an ETD from the Embassy and use that for a visa run? Would it allow me to travel to e.g. Cambodia, return to Thailand with a 30 day stamp, and then board my (booked and paid-for) flight from Bangkok to London in June, either on the ETD, or the new passport if it's arrived by then?

I guess I need to talk to the Embassy. Are they any more competent with email than UKPA? Or do I need to telephone, or show up in person?

What a system.

Of course it would be courteous and be very much appreciated to be informed that your passport had been approved and posted to you with a postal tracking reference.

Meanwhile, I still remain sitting around on my hands arguing (sorry for that) with TV Trollsters.

I think the current Trendy process is going to have to be reviewed. It really doesn't seem fit for purpose. Even with literate English speaking staff it still involves costly and unnecessary difficulties for many.

Did you apply via Trendy, or directly to Liverpool?

I'm sure I remember a few posters saying they'd been informed by email when their passports were issued, before the March changes. Has this definitely stopped now? Or did it never happen in the first place?