Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

As I stated in an earlier post, I have a Certificate of Residence from Thai Immigration and a certified translation of it, but, as I said, the Immigration Officer noted that it was for a passport application, and said it was valid inside Thailand only.

My driving licence, which was issued in 1995 is still valid, as it is a lifetime driving licence. They ceased to be issued around the year 2000, but the old ones are still valid.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As I stated in an earlier post, I have a Certificate of Residence from Thai Immigration and a certified translation of it, but, as I said, the Immigration Officer noted that it was for a passport application, and said it was valid inside Thailand only.

My driving licence, which was issued in 1995 is still valid, as it is a lifetime driving licence. They ceased to be issued around the year 2000, but the old ones are still valid.

Sorry, this is a big thread, didn't make the connection.

Who gives a Monkey's f.rt what Thai Immigration says, you got the document, it's less than a year old and it's got an address, get it translated as HMPO have specified and off you go to BKK.

You seriously think HMPO will check with your local Thai immigration department?

Get the translation done, stapled to the original, all signed and stamped and I think that's your confirmation of address sorted. thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

Thai Lifetime Driving License - cool - I still have a green one from the UK, that's also still good for quite some time!

Certificate of residence is O.K. I used this as proof of address for my passport in FEB,

Certificate of residence is O.K. I used this as proof of address for my passport in FEB,

But the rules have changed since then...

Not regarding supporting evidence of address, just the method of application and return. Liverpool's consideration of application, photographs and other supporting documentation remains the same.

Hi celso.

Just curious, what did you use from Table A "supporting documents" to prove residential address?

I went up today to the British Embassy hoping they would provide a Proof of residential address form, to accompany the Passport renewal applications for 1 child and one adult (age 16), the Embassy declined as the officer in Consular services said that letter was only for use in Thailand and thus no good to go in with a PP renewal, as both applicants have dual Nationality, the Consular official suggested a Certified copy, translated to English of the Household Book showing both boys Thai residential address, along with a Certified translation of their Thai ID cards "should" be suffice to verify residential address. I guess we will see on Friday as we have an appointment at Trendy. That by the way is over 8K Baht for Translations, Certification and Notary stamps.

What a shambles indeed. Most of the documents suggested in Table "A" are totally irrelevant for most of us living in Thailand. After phone calls to the Embassy" refer to website", E-Mails to VFS Bangkok, and the UK no answers.

I am fortunate as I hold dual Nationality also, ie British and Australian, I will not be renewing my British Passport anymore as the Aussie one is a breeze to renew with extremely helpful consular staff. The British Embassy is an Embarrassment not an Embassy.

Thanks "rant over" BW.

Hi there, my work wrote a letter confirming my address on headed company paper.

'This letter is to confirm x is an employer of us, and lives at the address y.'

Wrote in English, and I made sure my address on the application exactly matched what my employer had wrote. All quite pointless considering the passport gets delivered to Trendy office, not my address. smile.png

Dawill60: I used a kasikorn online shopping card, linked to my debit account.

I did the same re the confirmation of address.

In addition to bank card payments problems, yesterday I responded to the e-mail i had received from the passport office regarding the fact that they could not take payment from my account.

So, i went to bank in BanChang, where after a bit of a fiasco, i was informed i would have to go to the bank i originally opened the account at, some 60 kms away. Ok off i went, there, after some jiggery pokery on a computer, the lady at the bank managed to register my Visa debit card with Visa, ( why was this never done when issued the card? i asked, oh you have to do it your self , "but i have been using the card for over a year paying for many things", shrugged shoulder response received. I also had a similar experience when trying to book an online flight with Aeon Card some time ago, which was sorted out with a phone call to Aeon, and i was immediately able to use my card to make that payment, within a few minutes). Anyway, after my card was registered i tried and eventually got through to someone in Liverpool, (before i left the bank), who still could not process the payment, so in the end i gave my Aeon credit card details over the phone and hey!!!! Bingo , job done.

Now here is an important part the woman in Liverpool mentioned, while asking for alternative payment methods, she asked me if I had any friends or relatives in the UK who could make the payment on my behalf. Why is this facility not mentioned on your website I asked, oh because you would not have the reference number that you got with your e-mail we sent you???? So why can i not use Paypal or something similar? Oh because the Thai banks would make a hefty charge for transferring the funds she answered , we do not offer this as it would cost you too much , we are saving you money . We are always having many problems with payments from Thai accounts.

Could this possibly be because many Thai Debit cards are not registered with the likes of VISA when they are issued??? One for all concerned to check there methinks , before you all use Thai Debit accounts to make payment.

She had hung up before i got the chance to ask how long the process would now take , since making the payment to start the renewal application process .

I hope they do not throw a spanner in the works now , with the fact my facial photo is 1mm undersized from crown to lower jaw line. How does that work if you have a good mop on top and a big bushy beard under your jaw line ???

• Like 1

Hi celso.

Just curious, what did you use from Table A "supporting documents" to prove residential address?

I went up today to the British Embassy hoping they would provide a Proof of residential address form, to accompany the Passport renewal applications for 1 child and one adult (age 16), the Embassy declined as the officer in Consular services said that letter was only for use in Thailand and thus no good to go in with a PP renewal, as both applicants have dual Nationality, the Consular official suggested a Certified copy, translated to English of the Household Book showing both boys Thai residential address, along with a Certified translation of their Thai ID cards "should" be suffice to verify residential address. I guess we will see on Friday as we have an appointment at Trendy. That by the way is over 8K Baht for Translations, Certification and Notary stamps.

What a shambles indeed. Most of the documents suggested in Table "A" are totally irrelevant for most of us living in Thailand. After phone calls to the Embassy" refer to website", E-Mails to VFS Bangkok, and the UK no answers.

I am fortunate as I hold dual Nationality also, ie British and Australian, I will not be renewing my British Passport anymore as the Aussie one is a breeze to renew with extremely helpful consular staff. The British Embassy is an Embarrassment not an Embassy.

Thanks "rant over" BW.

Hi there, my work wrote a letter confirming my address on headed company paper.

'This letter is to confirm x is an employer of us, and lives at the address y.'

Wrote in English, and I made sure my address on the application exactly matched what my employer had wrote. All quite pointless considering the passport gets delivered to Trendy office, not my address. smile.png

Dawill60: I used a kasikorn online shopping card, linked to my debit account.

I did the same re the confirmation of address.

In addition to bank card payments problems, yesterday I responded to the e-mail i had received from the passport office regarding the fact that they could not take payment from my account.

So, i went to bank in BanChang, where after a bit of a fiasco, i was informed i would have to go to the bank i originally opened the account at, some 60 kms away. Ok off i went, there, after some jiggery pokery on a computer, the lady at the bank managed to register my Visa debit card with Visa, ( why was this never done when issued the card? i asked, oh you have to do it your self , "but i have been using the card for over a year paying for many things", shrugged shoulder response received. I also had a similar experience when trying to book an online flight with Aeon Card some time ago, which was sorted out with a phone call to Aeon, and i was immediately able to use my card to make that payment, within a few minutes). Anyway, after my card was registered i tried and eventually got through to someone in Liverpool, (before i left the bank), who still could not process the payment, so in the end i gave my Aeon credit card details over the phone and hey!!!! Bingo , job done.

Now here is an important part the woman in Liverpool mentioned, while asking for alternative payment methods, she asked me if I had any friends or relatives in the UK who could make the payment on my behalf. Why is this facility not mentioned on your website I asked, oh because you would not have the reference number that you got with your e-mail we sent you???? So why can i not use Paypal or something similar? Oh because the Thai banks would make a hefty charge for transferring the funds she answered , we do not offer this as it would cost you too much , we are saving you money . We are always having many problems with payments from Thai accounts.

Could this possibly be because many Thai Debit cards are not registered with the likes of VISA when they are issued??? One for all concerned to check there methinks , before you all use Thai Debit accounts to make payment.

She had hung up before i got the chance to ask how long the process would now take , since making the payment to start the renewal application process .

I hope they do not throw a spanner in the works now , with the fact my facial photo is 1mm undersized from crown to lower jaw line. How does that work if you have a good mop on top and a big bushy beard under your jaw line ???

The, "we are saving you money" quote is hilarious. It appears they are so concientious that they really do care and they are also well aware of what our Thai banks charge us. Maybe they can offer special deals "in partnership" (govt departments love buzz words and phrases) with Nok Air, Hilton Hotel Group, Hillarys Bar etc for discounted flights, accommodation and entertainment as long as you have a confirmation email from Trendy Wendy for an application/collection appointment!!!

• Like 2

One last question from me about how to legally leave the country.

I'm stamped in on my UK passport. This is full of stamps, so I applied for a replacement back in March. Still waiting.

My stamp expires in less than two weeks. I understand that my existing passport may/should have been electronically cancelled by now.

I do have a second, non-UK but EU passport (dual nationality), but I've never used it to enter Thailand - it contains no stamps.

Legally speaking, does anyone know if I can do this?

1. Book a flight to Cambodia on my non-UK passport

2. Check in online for the flight with my non-UK passport

3. Present my existing UK passport (possibly cancelled) at passport control, to be stamped out

4. Fly to Cambodia on the non-UK passport

5. Return to Thailand on the non-UK passport for a 30-day stamp, and continue waiting for the new UK passport to arrive

I know I'm not allowed to travel on the cancelled passport, but in this situation I wouldn't be travelling on that one, just using it to leave.

Otherwise, I think I will have to spend 5,320 baht on an ETD and use that for step #3 instead.

Thanks again folks.

hi all,for evidence of address in thailand i had a letter from the pension office [british] a couple of months ago my thai home

address was on it does anyone now if i can use that for evidence of address

thank you

Probably would be ok.

Best you contact overseas Newport and ask before you plan the trip to Trendy.

HMPO enquiries email address [email protected].

HMPO telephone helpline in the UK to check +443002220000, it's not a rip off premium line, but you would pay for the cost of an international call to a UK Land Line, else use Skype I've checked it and it works at 1.4p per minute.

Allow 15 minutes for the call including navigating menus ID collection and time on hold while they check the answer to your question.

hi all,for evidence of address in thailand i had a letter from the pension office [british] a couple of months ago my thai home

address was on it does anyone now if i can use that for evidence of address

thank you

Probably would be ok.

Best you contact overseas Newport and ask before you plan the trip to Trendy.

HMPO telephone helpline in the UK to check +443002220000, it's not a rip off premium line, but you would pay for the cost of an international call to a UK Land Line, else use Skype I've checked it and it works at 1.4p per minute.

Allow 15 minutes for the call including navigating menus ID collection and time on hold while they check the answer to your question.

You really would like to think so. I used a HMRC letter informing me about Child Benefit changes addressed to me in Thailand even though my only child is now 24 years old and has been estranged from me since the age of 7. Still, must have been ok as Liverpool haven't informed me of any problems. Just wondering how much longer I have to wait.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

One last question from me about how to legally leave the country.

I'm stamped in on my UK passport. This is full of stamps, so I applied for a replacement back in March. Still waiting.

My stamp expires in less than two weeks. I understand that my existing passport may/should have been electronically cancelled by now.

I do have a second, non-UK but EU passport (dual nationality), but I've never used it to enter Thailand - it contains no stamps.

Legally speaking, does anyone know if I can do this?

1. Book a flight to Cambodia on my non-UK passport

2. Check in online for the flight with my non-UK passport

3. Present my existing UK passport (possibly cancelled) at passport control, to be stamped out

4. Fly to Cambodia on the non-UK passport

5. Return to Thailand on the non-UK passport for a 30-day stamp, and continue waiting for the new UK passport to arrive

I know I'm not allowed to travel on the cancelled passport, but in this situation I wouldn't be travelling on that one, just using it to leave.

Otherwise, I think I will have to spend 5,320 baht on an ETD and use that for step #3 instead.

Thanks again folks.

Best you contact overseas Newport before you try this, as you know you are prohibited from travelling on your old passport once it's cancelled, but maybe you can still use it to stamp out of the country - however I strongly suspect they will advise you to get the ETD from BKK.

• Like 1

To those who have booked and confirmed appointments with a reply back from VFS please can you share a rough idea on the duration we may have to wait for a email reply back from VFS to confirm our appointment? many thanks

Edited by Connection
  • Like 1

Just posting the (standard) reply to my earlier feedback:-

Good Afternoon
Thank you for your email.
There is a legal requirement for all British Citizens in Thailand to retain their passport on their persons at all times. In order to consider an application to renew a British passport HM Passport Office requires sight of the original passport and any other supporting documents. To achieve this, in light of the challenges presented by local Thai law, applicants for a British Passport in Thailand are required to travel in person to the office of a HM Passport Office representative for them to view the original document(s) and verify photocopies as being true replicas as the originals. In the case of Thailand our representative is the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok . This allows the customer to continue to meet the legal requirement of keeping their passport with them at all times. In order to ensure public protection and that passport once replaced cannot be reused for illegal purposes should it be intercepted by a third party it is important that the replaced passport is physically cancelled. To ensure this takes place, once the passport is printed it is dispatched back to the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok . The customer must then present their “old” passport to the UK Visa Application Centre for it to be physically cancelled and to be presented with their new passport. Whilst HM Passport Office are always seeking to improve its processes and aim to achieve a good customer experience these processes are in place so that customers can observe local in country laws whilst they obtain their new travel documents. There is currently no other alternative means by which customers in Thailand may apply.
Turning to your other points we will pass your feedback on to the relevant department so that they can consider your views when planning future application procedures.
Regards

Jacqueline McCarthy

.... and my response:-

Dear Ms McCarthy,

Thank you for your prompt response which is appreciate.

I have written separately about the "law" in Thailand that requires you to retain your passport at all times.

I cannot find (and others have failed to provide) the specific legal reference for this point. It may have become common practice but I am yet to be convinced that it is actually a legal requirement.

I simply mention this because it may have an influence on your procedures if it is found NOT to be a LEGAL requirement.

You will be aware that the natives in Thailand are restless over the recent changes. If you are genuinely interested in feedback here is a link to Thai Visa.com where there have been 790 posts on the subject:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/713867-changes-to-british-passport-services-in-thailand/page-32#entry7761595

Thank you for listening again.

Regards

• Like 1

Just posting the (standard) reply to my earlier feedback:-

Good Afternoon
Thank you for your email.
There is a legal requirement for all British Citizens in Thailand to retain their passport on their persons at all times. In order to consider an application to renew a British passport HM Passport Office requires sight of the original passport and any other supporting documents. To achieve this, in light of the challenges presented by local Thai law, applicants for a British Passport in Thailand are required to travel in person to the office of a HM Passport Office representative for them to view the original document(s) and verify photocopies as being true replicas as the originals. In the case of Thailand our representative is the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok . This allows the customer to continue to meet the legal requirement of keeping their passport with them at all times. In order to ensure public protection and that passport once replaced cannot be reused for illegal purposes should it be intercepted by a third party it is important that the replaced passport is physically cancelled. To ensure this takes place, once the passport is printed it is dispatched back to the UK Visa Application Centre in Bangkok . The customer must then present their “old” passport to the UK Visa Application Centre for it to be physically cancelled and to be presented with their new passport. Whilst HM Passport Office are always seeking to improve its processes and aim to achieve a good customer experience these processes are in place so that customers can observe local in country laws whilst they obtain their new travel documents. There is currently no other alternative means by which customers in Thailand may apply.
Turning to your other points we will pass your feedback on to the relevant department so that they can consider your views when planning future application procedures.
Regards

Jacqueline McCarthy

Yes, pretty much the exact text I got from HMPO in my letter from them on the 17th April - posted on this thread a few pages ago -#635.

Looks like they are 'on message' now, so we need to be also pointing the other short comings in their system.

Dear Ms McCarthy,

I have written separately about the "law" in Thailand that requires you to retain your passport at all times.

I cannot find (and others have failed to provide) the specific legal reference for this point. It may have become common practice but I am yet to be convinced that it is actually a legal requirement.

I simply mention this because it may have an influence on your procedures if it is found NOT to be a LEGAL requirement.

You will be aware that the natives in Thailand are restless over the recent changes. If you are genuinely interested in feedback here is a link to Thai Visa.com where there have been 790 posts on the subject:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/713867-changes-to-british-passport-services-in-thailand/page-32#entry7761595

Regards

Good point re the 'law' in Thailand on always holding a passport - wish someone could actually cite the specific act that has promulgated what is quite possibly an urban myth.

Reading the last few posts it would make sense if holders of Thai driving licences could use them as an ID cards while their passports were in the post as per the likes of Malaysia.

Yes, personally, I always provide my Thai driving license at banks, shops, businesses, whenever I am asked for my passport - no one has ever argued with me yet.

Haven't tried this particular ruse with Immigration though!...

Edited by digitalchromakey

Reading the last few posts it would make sense if holders of Thai driving licences could use them as an ID cards while their passports were in the post as per the likes of Malaysia.

I agree and I have see other threads mentioning it is not a requirement in Thai law. What should be acceptable is a certified copy of visa/extension of stay, photo page etc from Thai Immigration or the local police confirming your status to remain in Thailand whilst the passport is in the process of renewal/replacement. Maybe our Embassy could work on something like that on our behalf.

Ah well just an idea, while I still wait.

Edited by watso63

Dear Ms McCarthy,

Regards

I don't know about others, but nobody at Trendy asked to see my passport. As for verifying the photocopies, "helpful girl" got me to sign each of the photocopies and then added her "Certified True Copy" stamp. Having read HMPO's letter, it seems that they think the VFS staff are verifying/certifying the photocopies, not the applicants.

• Like 2

Dear Ms McCarthy,

Regards

I don't know about others, but nobody at Trendy asked to see my passport. As for verifying the photocopies, "helpful girl" got me to sign each of the photocopies and then added her "Certified True Copy" stamp. Having read HMPO's letter, it seems that they think the VFS staff are verifying/certifying the photocopies, not the applicants.

Oh the ironing 555. I have Thai Builders building a granny flat out the back. They're really good at following simple instructions too 555.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Has anyone as yet had a new Passport returned, sine the new rules applied?

I would not have thought so the new rules only came in about one month ago.

Has anyone as yet had a new Passport returned, sine the new rules applied?

I would not have thought so the new rules only came in about one month ago.

Sorry for this again: Sent 28 Feb, received Liverpool 7 Mar, Fee paid 10 Mar. Still no idea when it will be here.

I gave it plenty of time, aware of the 9 months addition onto new passport. Passport expires 28 Oct, Extension of Stay Based on Retirement 23 Jul. Just thought if there's a problem, I will have enough time to sort it out. I'm glad I did now.

• Like 1

I emailed VFS to make an appointment and they havent replied, any idea on how long we have to wait for a reply?

i emailed VFS at 83o this morning and got a reply at 11 45.got an appointment for june 9th

• Like 1

I emailed VFS to make an appointment and they havent replied, any idea on how long we have to wait for a reply?

i emailed VFS at 83o this morning and got a reply at 11 45.got an appointment for june 9th

Thanks petetahkli for your quick reply, glad you got an appointment sorted. I emailed them on Wednesday morning to this email address: [email protected] but still no reply yet, will resend today thanks for your help! smile.png

• Like 1