Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heard reports at VFS that countersignatory of the photos were being asked for, even though it states this is not required for renewals (unless your passport photo appearance has drastically changed then it is required).

I should imagin that is true, as they dont seem to have a clue what they are doing down there.

• Like 1

Heard reports at VFS that countersignatory of the photos were being asked for, even though it states this is not required for renewals (unless your passport photo appearance has drastically changed then it is required).

I should imagin that is true, as they dont seem to have a clue what they are doing down there.

Plus don't forget that currently Trendy cannot really read or write English, so these kind of stupidities are to be expected......

I guess an expensive call to the UK helpline whilst fighting back the heaving masses at Trendy may be the only option if they pull something stupid like that.

Problem is that the HMPO UK help line (Mon to Friday 8:00am to 8pm) would only be contactable from Thailand after say 15:00!.

So looks like those who have to travel fly to BKK need to book accommodation for two nights (before and after Trendy appointment), just in case they are problems with the Trendy Muppets and one needs to contact the UK HMPO help line, which unfortunately does not open until the Trendy offices are almost shut!

Plucked from SOAP @831;

But the difference being in Thailand they don't care if you are a elderly or disabled British citizen YOU MUST undertake a possible 4,000 kilometre journey to have your documents checked in order to renew your passport

PERIOD no options

It is inevitable that HMPO/HMG will eventually take this into consideration; but only after they have managed to separate feedback & constructive criticism from the avalanche of rants their intrays.

I would say my post was a fact,not a rant.

Its a pity that the HMPO did not ask for constructive feedback before they gave the contract to VFS because if you look at the opening post in this thread by Basset (i wonder if he works for the HMPO)as he as not been seen again after breaking the news on his post dated 26th March, revealing that these changes would be implemented from 26th March,i helped my friends daughter fill her passports forms etc the first week in March (still waiting) and as far as i can remember i did not read on the HMPO web site about these changes being implemented from March 26th.

I think constructive feedback from the HMPO giving notice about these changes would have been the appropriate thing to do rather than create a situation that you refer, soap @ 831

If and when my passport arrives I will write to HMPO in a constructive manner. This is a forum where we can say more or less as we please within the forum rules and as such is like a chat in a pub. I would hope we are capable of thinking about what, or how we phrase what we write to a government agency.

Anyway there's nothing wrong with a good old rant and whinge if it makes you feel better 555.

The point I was making is that complaints that are short and to the point are likely to have some effect, but only after the poor buggers have waded through "War & Peace". I wasn't having a pop at anyone. The point quoted helped me raise mine in far shorter fashion than this post:)

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

So this is obviously a complete mess...

I'm looking to renew my passport end of the month, sorry to throw a few questions out there and I have been throught the website etc, but still unclear on a few things...

Making an appontment - Do I just send an email to the one that they provide just stating my full name and giving them THREE days and dates for an appointment?

Documents - From what I can work out that are asking ONE photo ID which can be your current passport and ONE document which can be a letter of resident that can be obtained from Thai Immigration, is that correct? I'm a little confused as it seems to states under number 4 that they require documents 'that aren't in English - including showing an address??

Counter signatory - I see it has been discussed recently but do they require this or not? Maybe just call that UK helpline to confirm?

Everything else I think I understand....appreciate any help!

Pat

I'm looking to renew my passport end of the month, sorry to throw a few questions out there and I have been throught the website etc, but still unclear on a few things...

Making an appontment - Do I just send an email to the one that they provide just stating my full name and giving them THREE days and dates for an appointment?

Documents - From what I can work out that are asking ONE photo ID which can be your current passport and ONE document which can be a letter of resident that can be obtained from Thai Immigration, is that correct? I'm a little confused as it seems to states under number 4 that they require documents 'that aren't in English - including showing an address??

Counter signatory - I see it has been discussed recently but do they require this or not? Maybe just call that UK helpline to confirm?

Pat

1) email with 3x dates/times -offices open appointments are biddable at Trendy on the hour/half hour Monday to Friday, 8:30-15:00.

2) Yes, any documents confirming your address that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original.

3) Counter signatory is not required by HMPO for adult renewals.

Why is this exact information not on either the Trendy or HMPO websites, or at least in a supporting pdf document specific to Thailand?

Pathetic and unacceptable - they have been operating now for more than a month - muppets the lot of them.

Unbelievably poor service for British Citizens based in Thailand.

Pat

1) email with 3x dates/times -offices open appointments are biddable at Trendy on the hour/half hour Monday to Friday, 8:30-15:00.

2) Yes, any documents confirming your address that are not in English must be fully translated by a person who is registered to an official organisation or trade body for translators or employed by a recognised translation company. The translation must be attached to the original document and signed to confirm it is a true copy of the original.

Why is this exact information not on either the Trendy or HMPO websites, or at least in a supporting pdf document specific to Thailand?

Pathetic and unacceptable - they have been operating now for more than a month - muppets the lot of them.

Thanks a lot for that mate, appreciated. And yes it is pathetic. I have sent that email off already requesting 3 seperate dates and times at month end.

Just to recap, I need to complete the application form, fill out the credit card form, take my current passport with me, colour copies of all pages of my current passport, a resident letter and a copy, 2 photos....I think that's it?

Pat

Thanks a lot for that mate, appreciated. And yes it is pathetic. I have sent that email off already requesting 3 seperate dates and times at month end.

Just to recap, I need to complete the application form, fill out the credit card form, take my current passport with me, colour copies of all pages of my current passport, a resident letter and a copy, 2 photos....I think that's it?

Pat

Don't forget that if the Resident Letter from Thai Immigration has any un-translated Thai on it, then that must be translated, otherwise Liverpool will throw it back at you.

I enquired because what do I do, stay home everyday wondering if DHL are going to turn up when I'm out? Happened a few times before in the UK. Come home to a "we tried to deliver a parcel, but no-one was home" note. Then it was jump on the motorbike for a 70 mile round trip to collect from the nearest depot. God knows how far in Thailand! As I said before, just simple communication....application number....courier tracking reference = good customer service, peace of mind and a good nights sleep. Staying in Thailand legally is important to me, it's where I've decided to make my home. I'm done with the UK as much as possible, never intending to go back, exiled myself, when the time comes, ready to die here.

They'll probably send it to Trendy, LOL!

I'm trying to stay calm and chill out. In Jan I actually booked a trip back to UK (depart 4 June) and my plan was to send my passport to Liverpool on 26 March when I got back from an official trip to Laos (my passport was full up to the last page by the end of that trip - just enough space for a re-entry permit and ext stamp now. Obviously, when I got back the system had changed and I lost two weeks just getting an appointment at Trendy. If I have nothing by mid-May, I'll send an e-mail to Newport explaining my position and see if they can hasten things. If not, it'll be another trip to the embassy in BKK (and another 95 quid) to get an ETD.

I am fully expecting an email from Trendy if successful (even though I applied using the previous application process). Maybe they are holding back to send in batches of 100 to save on postage or something. Wonder if I would get a rebate ???

Anyway, good luck to you....might need it.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It seems the crystal ball was working well. TG took a call from Trendy Wendy this morning and...my passport arrived there yesterday. I've been waiting to make a trip to Pattaya for a while to see how my condo is coming along and I declined joining a German friend and his wife for a weeks holiday there. Happy days, now I can do all 3 in one go. Wonder if I'll get that rebate???

Just wondering if they let me keep my old passport after clipping off the corners. Anyone know for sure?

Anyone want me to ask anything whilst I'm there and I am wondering if it's in the same buildind as the Danish and Norwegian VFS place. If so, then I know where it is.

• Like 1

I'm trying to stay calm and chill out. In Jan I actually booked a trip back to UK (depart 4 June) and my plan was to send my passport to Liverpool on 26 March when I got back from an official trip to Laos (my passport was full up to the last page by the end of that trip - just enough space for a re-entry permit and ext stamp now. Obviously, when I got back the system had changed and I lost two weeks just getting an appointment at Trendy. If I have nothing by mid-May, I'll send an e-mail to Newport explaining my position and see if they can hasten things. If not, it'll be another trip to the embassy in BKK (and another 95 quid) to get an ETD.

I am fully expecting an email from Trendy if successful (even though I applied using the previous application process). Maybe they are holding back to send in batches of 100 to save on postage or something. Wonder if I would get a rebate ???

It seems the crystal ball was working well. TG took a call from Trendy Wendy this morning and...my passport arrived there yesterday. I've been waiting to make a trip to Pattaya for a while to see how my condo is coming along and I declined joining a German friend and his wife for a weeks holiday there. Happy days, now I can do all 3 in one go. Wonder if I'll get that rebate???

Just wondering if they let me keep my old passport after clipping off the corners. Anyone know for sure?

Anyone want me to ask anything whilst I'm there and I am wondering if it's in the same buildind as the Danish and Norwegian VFS place. If so, then I know where it is.

Great news Watso63. smile.png

Correct me if I am wrong but I think you sent your application direct to Liverpool.

That confirms that even under the old system HMPO will send the new passport back to Vfs.

I think you have to keep the old passport - you may have a visa in there and certainly an entry stamp.

I am sure you will report back after your visit.

Great news Watso63. smile.png

Correct me if I am wrong but I think you sent your application direct to Liverpool.

That confirms that even under the old system HMPO will send the new passport back to Vfs.

I think you have to keep the old passport - you may have a visa in there and certainly an entry stamp.

I am sure you will report back after your visit.

Thanks Jip99

Banging my head on a brick wall now. Just spoke to a (maybe helpful) woman inTrendy. I asked if I get to keep my old passport. Answer...no, you must bring old one with you. Me...Yes I know that, after you give me new one do I get to keep the old one too?. Answer...go to Liverpool. We send old one to you. ..? Huh? You give the old one back to me or not? Answer...we stamp old one and send to you.

This is a case of where English language is important. I am hoping she means she will give the old passport back to me after stamping/cutting corners off. Give back/send back may mean the same to her but the difference in meanings are totally lost in translation.

Apparently 20 others are ready for collection...at least that's what I think.

Edited by watso63

emailed VFS Sunday evening asking for end of May will update if and when I get a reply. nothing as yet

I'm not sure what you was 'asking' for but if you mean for an appointement to apply for a passport then I did that yesterday and have had a reply already confirming my appointement together with do's and dont's etc. Also for the end of month.

So far so good...

emailed VFS Sunday evening asking for end of May will update if and when I get a reply. nothing as yet

I'm not sure what you was 'asking' for but if you mean for an appointement to apply for a passport then I did that yesterday and have had a reply already confirming my appointement together with do's and dont's etc. Also for the end of month.

So far so good...

Would you mind posting the list of do's and don'ts that Trendy sent you?

Thanks.

I applied for an appointment on Monday evening by email and received this reply this morning :-

"Dear, Sir/Madam

We confirm your appointment as follow:

12th May 2014 time at 10.00 am.

Importants for HMPO

*The application what apply in Bangkok, Thailand will process and be considered by HMPO in the UK at least 4 weeks up to 6 months approximately

*Please provide your passport and whole pages color copies with your signature on every pages, the other document can be in black-white.

*Thailand country only accept the payment by Credit/Debit card, require to print out and complete the payment form. Submit at the same time with document at HMOP Bangkok Center.

*The applicant need to apply in person in Bangkok, Thailand only

*No posting service but you can allow someone to collect it with your authority latter, please inform it on the day you apply.

*All documents which are not in English need to be translated into English with the official stamp

*The children no need to attend, the parent can apply on behalf of him/her"

So it appears that we no longer have to make 2 trips to Bangkok and instead we give an authorisation letter to someone to pick it up for us and then post it onwards which is great news as it saves me having to travel up from the south on 2 occasions.

But I still have a question. My passport expires in September of this year. At the moment I have a non immigrant o visa based on marriage which expires at the end of July. If I was to apply to extend my non immigrant o visa in July the immigration office would only extend it til the expiry date of my present passport which is why I am applying for a new passport now. So if I receive my new passport before the expiration date in July will I be able to transfer my existing visa to my new passport or will I need any additional documentation from the British embassy regarding the issue of the new passport ??

Cheers for any assistance

JAF

So far so good...

Would you mind posting the list of do's and don'ts that Trendy sent you?

Thanks.

Looks like someone has beaten me to it :-)

Slightly off topic, are childrens passport still valid for only 5 years?

I applied for an appointment on Monday evening by email and received this reply this morning :-

"Dear, Sir/Madam

We confirm your appointment as follow:

12th May 2014 time at 10.00 am.

Importants for HMPO

*The application what apply in Bangkok, Thailand will process and be considered by HMPO in the UK at least 4 weeks up to 6 months approximately

*Please provide your passport and whole pages color copies with your signature on every pages, the other document can be in black-white.

*Thailand country only accept the payment by Credit/Debit card, require to print out and complete the payment form. Submit at the same time with document at HMOP Bangkok Center.

*The applicant need to apply in person in Bangkok, Thailand only

*No posting service but you can allow someone to collect it with your authority latter, please inform it on the day you apply.

*All documents which are not in English need to be translated into English with the official stamp

*The children no need to attend, the parent can apply on behalf of him/her"

So it appears that we no longer have to make 2 trips to Bangkok and instead we give an authorisation letter to someone to pick it up for us and then post it onwards which is great news as it saves me having to travel up from the south on 2 occasions.

But I still have a question. My passport expires in September of this year. At the moment I have a non immigrant o visa based on marriage which expires at the end of July. If I was to apply to extend my non immigrant o visa in July the immigration office would only extend it til the expiry date of my present passport which is why I am applying for a new passport now. So if I receive my new passport before the expiration date in July will I be able to transfer my existing visa to my new passport or will I need any additional documentation from the British embassy regarding the issue of the new passport ??

Cheers for any assistance

JAF

You're in a similar situation to me., that's why I had to make sure they let me retain the old passport ( for the extension of stay based on retirement in my case). Apply now and they will extend the remaining time left on your old passport onto your new one. Go to immigration for new extension of stay based on marriage with both passports and let them do the rest. If you have a Thai driving licence remember to go to your issuing centre and update it because your driver licence number is the same as your passport number. Apparently insurance companies have used this as a cop out for not paying up after a claim.

So a nominee can collect a passport on an applicants authority now. What happened the "we need to have the old passport for cancellation purposes" or is it a knee jerk reaction to the travelling issue? So much for efficiency and security....Matey who collects it, sticks it into the post and...maybe ends up in the same place as my 2 debit cards posted to me from my UK bank...f#$k knows!!!

Edited by watso63
  • Like 1

I suspect the person picking up your passport will need the old one with them.

I suppose if that is the case, it may well help the elderley and sick amongst us, which isn't a bad thing, but could fall down if people start posting passports to mates living in or near BKK.

Nobody seems to know much around here.

So, when you go to collect your new passport do they keep your old one or not, does anyone actually know? I assume that they don't as there is likely to be visas that need to be transferred to your new passport. Or maybe that cut the corner off? I know that they don't keep your PP when you apply for a new PP, that has been made clear already.

Nobody seems to know much around here.

So, when you go to collect your new passport do they keep your old one or not, does anyone actually know? I assume that they don't as there is likely to be visas that need to be transferred to your new passport. Or maybe that cut the corner off? I know that they don't keep your PP when you apply for a new PP, that has been made clear already.

No, they cut the corners off to cancel it, then return it to you.

I enquired because what do I do, stay home everyday wondering if DHL are going to turn up when I'm out? Happened a few times before in the UK. Come home to a "we tried to deliver a parcel, but no-one was home" note. Then it was jump on the motorbike for a 70 mile round trip to collect from the nearest depot. God knows how far in Thailand! As I said before, just simple communication....application number....courier tracking reference = good customer service, peace of mind and a good nights sleep. Staying in Thailand legally is important to me, it's where I've decided to make my home. I'm done with the UK as much as possible, never intending to go back, exiled myself, when the time comes, ready to die here.

Yes (but TIT!)

I am off to the local immigration where they do not speak any English. What I need from them is a certificate of residence to show to the Trendy guys and gals. I am on an non immigrant o visa but I am uncertain what the certificate of residence will look like and what I will need to obtain it. Any info or picture would be appreciated

Cheers

JAF