Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

I'm definitely going to get the letter.

The visa agent is in immigration every week. I think that they would know.......

Please let the thread know the end result, in particular if Phuket now do require the pro-forma transfer letter.

However if your agent physically does the transfer for you, then I guess he/she wouldn't 'fess up to not then needing the pro-forma, having specifically asked you to get it.

For reference, when I did the old-new stamp transfer at Phuket immigration last year, I too had obtained the pro-forma and held it on my person, but it was never once requested that I produce said item.

Either way the process is pretty painless and not too time consuming.

I have a feeling that the visa agents have been into immigration many times between August last year and when I asked them about it, last week.

So.....fessing up doesn't really come into it. They say I need it. The people at Trendy say I need it, even when I told them that I will get it done in Phuket.

You have old info.

The people at trendy will know nothing about specific procedures at Phuket Immigration, but they now correctly advice replacement passport recipients that the pro-forma may be required and how to obtain.

Can't comment any further re your visa agent, i) don't know who they are, ii) it's utterly pointless arguing.

There have certainly been major procedural changes at Phuket Immigration during the last 6 months, so this procedure certainly could have changed.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can confirm that a printed application is rejected by VFS Global staff today and they happily handed over a new blank form for me to write by hand. They said it would be rejected in Liverpool otherwise. The VFS officer also had to fill his form used for the application by hand. As we both made fck ups during the hand writing and we both resorted to using liquid paper (tipex) correction fluid on the forms to correct the errors. Such has been the progress since I last got a passport 10 years back at the British Embassy!

That said the service at Trendy was great, in-out on schedule with no one around hanging in long queues, albeit a long wait to get an appointment 8 days after applying.

They told me it takes 6-12 weeks to get the new passport back, and couldn't be more precise than that. Maybe I'll get it in 17 days like an earlier poster. No one seemed to have a clue.

Thanks for the update confirming that computer printed application forms will be rejected.

Also, just a little bit worried because the accompanying application notes also state that:

I’ve made a mistake on the form, what should I do?

Cross out any mistakes.

Do not use correction fluid.

If you make more than three mistakes on any line or do not provide a clear signature in section 9, you will need to fill in a new form.

Hope this doesn't become an issue for you.

Ok, I'm slightly ignorant on the process of renewing here as I haven't yet had to do it, but last year I made 3 passport applications in the UK by filling in the "forms" on the website. All they do is send you a printed copy of the standard form to sign. So on what basis would Liverpool reject a printed form?

There is no on-line application option for those of us based in Thailand.

Page one of the passport application form that we have to fill out states that the form should be filled out in black biro.....

Some great advice in this thread.

Just to update my particular predicament outlined about a year ago.

Now working in Singapore, daughters dependent pass is in application, she will come to stay here from August onwards. Will do the on line application once she arrives.

Cheers

• Like 2

Still don't understand why British citizens residing in Thailand should not be able to apply on line.

I guess HMPO will have its reason, a real pain in the back side for those stuck with visits to BKK though. Especially if residing far from BKK

Still don't understand why British citizens residing in Thailand should not be able to apply on line.

I guess HMPO will have its reason, a real pain in the back side for those stuck with visits to BKK though. Especially if residing far from BKK

You can thank shits buystealing/selling PP's in LOS............Love to have a word with these shits...

Page one of the passport application form that we have to fill out states that the form should be filled out in black biro.....

Hi digitalchromakey,

Thank you for all of your posts on this thread by the way. wai.gif

I have a big problem in filing out the form as I cannot write in small spaces anymore, My handwriting was always very bad and with the years gone by even worse.

What should I do, I down loaded the forms to fill in and will have to buy a black biro, as you know in Thailand only blue is the official colour.

Win

Hi digitalchromakey,

I have a big problem in filing out the form as I cannot write in small spaces anymore, My handwriting was always very bad and with the years gone by even worse.

What should I do, I down loaded the forms to fill in and will have to buy a black biro, as you know in Thailand only blue is the official colour.

Win

You can PM me to work stuff out mate..............smile.png

Hi digitalchromakey,

Win

Hi Kan Win,

Sorry to read that you think you will have difficulties filling in the passport application forms.

My best suggestion is that you do not have to fill out the form yourself, thus a friend can do that for you, you just need to sign the relevant box.

Black Biros are easily obtainable at such larger stationary stores that you would find in a bigger town; your point is well taken however in that one certainly won't find a black biro in a small ma and pa shop/convenience store out in the Thai sticks.

Small history lesson - I believe that the reason black biro is mandated dates back almost fifty years to the 1970's when many photocopiers couldn't replicate blue script at all clearly.

I guess from all the other nonsense that is being thrown at us by HMPO et al, that the British Civil Service is remarkably slow to adapt to change.......

• Like 1

Just got notification that my new passport is ready for collection.

13 days from submittal. I'm grudgingly impressed.

Theres a BAR on the ground floor to down one, look up in the air, relax a bit, then shuffle off......Well I did..............drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEEfKmimwR

• Like 1

Cross out any mistakes.

If you make more than three mistakes on any line or do not provide a clear signature in section 9, you will need to fill in a new form.

As it turned out for application or payment form which both required correction fluid by VFS staff, not an issue. My card was debited the amount 6 days after applying in Bangkok and new passport ready to pick up 12 days after application,

My only gripe would be that I asked VFS staff how long it takes having mentioned others got theirs in under three weeks and they insisted 6-12 weeks, not the 12 days it has taken. Therefore I don't plan to go pick up passport for some time yet as I am busy doing other things.

Cross out any mistakes.

As it turned out for application or payment form which both required correction fluid by VFS staff, not an issue. My card was debited the amount 6 days after applying in Bangkok and new passport ready to pick up 12 days after application,

My only gripe would be that I asked VFS staff how long it takes having mentioned others got theirs in under three weeks and they insisted 6-12 weeks, not the 12 days it has taken. Therefore I don't plan to go pick up passport for some time yet as I am busy doing other things.

Good news that you had no further problems plus that your passport is ready for collection after less than two weeks.

The HMPO website currently states that adult replacement passport applications from Thailand will take at least 6 weeks and that one also has up to six weeks to provide any additional documents then requested, so 6-12 weeks is actually the best trendy can reasonably quote as they are not the guys who make the new passports, that is HMPO.

Try not to wait more than a month before collecting your new passport as trendy have stated several times in the past that they will send the passport back to the UK if it is not collected within one month (there was a posting on this thread a month or so ago by one person who had waited more than a month to collect and was still ok).

You don't need an appointment to collect.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Next visit

Consular Outreach in Chiang Mai on 20 May 2015

The Consular Section of the Australian Embassy in Bangkok has planned a consular outreach visit to Chiang Mai on Wednesday 20 May 2015 from 8.30am to 12.00pm and 1.00pm to 3.00pm.

http://www.thailand..../bkok/home.html

The British embassy apologizes that they cant offer the same service to their citizens in Chiangmai and Phuket,

But they are too busy organizing garden parties,and opening the thank you presents from the VFS at Trendy

• Like 1

The British embassy apologizes

That would be a first.

I don't think they even apologised after their sheer incompetence and/or laziness in handling the tsunami aftermath.

Edited by AyG

No one was ready for a disaster of that magnitude & nor can anyone be blamed.

Sorry, but the embassies of other countries were far, far better prepared, so of course the British Embassy can be blamed. Do you really think that no British Embassy anywhere else in the world had previously ever had to deal with a disaster? That no British Embassy had ever heard of disasters anywhere in the world? They should have learned from such experiences and prepared an effective disaster plan. They didn't. They are to blame.

But anyway, that's off point. The point was: they didn't apologise for their abject failure to help British citizens in dire straits.

Hi there

1. Making the appointment at Trendy:

How far ahead should I allow to ask for a time?

What would be a sensible way to assess what sort of times to ask for?

Does one apply by email? Email address please?

2. Friend in BKK or wife will deliver application at Trendy owing to difficulty travelling.

Is there a standard proxy form or do I just write a note?

3.I have heard of payment problems

Should i open a SCB prepaid card and use that?

(Forgot the name....anyone know?)

Thanks

To be fair to British Embassies (Ministry=Foreign Office) world wide, overseas passport issue was removed forcibly from them by the British Government and then bolted onto the HMPO (Ministry=Home Office) when was then made into a semi autonomous Quango/Agency.

It was Quango HMPO that signed up trendy et al and produced the absolute dogs breakfast that appeared at the end of March 2014.

That was when the proverbial hit the fan, the Home Office had to then take HMPO back as a directly controlled office, rather than an agency, about 6 months later and since then to date, things have improved markedly with reasonably short passport application turnarounds.

The passport service is still far, far from perfect, it desperately needs a major overhaul to ever be elevated above it's current 2/3 star status, however the fiasco over the last year was definitely not on the British Embassy's watch, what ever their failings may be.

Definitely agree that it is unfair to blame the British Embassy for the present shambles we have to suffer - for which I, too, would lay the blame fairly and squarely at the door of HMPO and their With-It Tower henchmen, whose sole and avowed aim is to make the whole passport renewal process as humanly awkward, difficult and inconvenient as possible in the holy name of "security".

But to rank the current status at 2 or 3 stars is unduly generous, I think - I would only award half a star max and then only grudgingly.

• Like 1

To be fair to British Embassies (Ministry=Foreign Office) world wide, overseas passport issue was removed forcibly from them by the British Government and then bolted onto the HMPO (Ministry=Home Office) when was then made into a semi autonomous Quango/Agency.

It was Quango HMPO that signed up trendy et al and produced the absolute dogs breakfast that appeared at the end of March 2014.

That was when the proverbial hit the fan, the Home Office had to then take HMPO back as a directly controlled office, rather than an agency, about 6 months later and since then to date, things have improved markedly with reasonably short passport application turnarounds.

The passport service is still far, far from perfect, it desperately needs a major overhaul to ever be elevated above it's current 2/3 star status, however the fiasco over the last year was definitely not on the British Embassy's watch, what ever their failings may be.

Definitely agree that it is unfair to blame the British Embassy for the present shambles we have to suffer - for which I, too, would lay the blame fairly and squarely at the door of HMPO and their With-It Tower henchmen, whose sole and avowed aim is to make the whole passport renewal process as humanly awkward, difficult and inconvenient as possible in the holy name of "security".

But to rank the current status at 2 or 3 stars is unduly generous, I think - I would only award half a star max and then only grudgingly.

I can't agree with that - the process has become relatively efficient and the turnaround times are acceptable.

Still can't see why payment can't be made in Sterling (or Baht) and the new passport should be sent EMS to the home address.

You can do it all on the Net......Payment is taken in the UK via a valid card.

Two months in advance for appointment would be sensible..

Cannot apply for a passport or pay on-line from Thailand.

You apply on line for appointment. Money is taken in the UK after your appointment when stuff is sent off.....