Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Further to my last post. Someone at VFS in Trendy must be facilitating this commercial exploitation of the concession enabling this business viable. Meanwhile, the rest of us...

Edited by watso63

Then again without clarifying what is acceptable as "unable" they've left a little loophole. A doctors letter I suppose, would have to be translated, presented for notorisation to the embassy...???

Hi there

1. Making the appointment at Trendy:

How far ahead should I allow to ask for a time?

What would be a sensible way to assess what sort of times to ask for?

Does one apply by email? Email address please?

2. Friend in BKK or wife will deliver application at Trendy owing to difficulty travelling.

Is there a standard proxy form or do I just write a note?

3.I have heard of payment problems

Should i open a SCB prepaid card and use that?

(Forgot the name....anyone know?)

Thanks

Think appointments are currently running at around two weeks lead, so 4 weeks should give you time to plan the trip/accommodation, etc.

Times can be 09:00 to 15:00 Monday - Friday excluding Thai and UK Public Holidays.

Application for appointment by email [email protected]

Here is a link to the right HMPO Webpage: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

Ok for friend to apply on your behalf, letter of authorisation, friend must carry photo ID.

Payment by credit card, can be anybody's, with their agreement!

Most Thai debit Cards will not work as the payment is transacted in the UK using the card number and its three digit authorisation code, thus no telephone OTP option.

Thai easy to get payment options that do work:

SCB Prepaid Credit Card - apply on line if you have SCB account/internet banking.

KasiKorn K Web Shopping Card - apply on line if you have Kasikorn account/internet banking.

Good luck and please do read the supporting instructions carefully.

Thankyou for a wonderfully useful answer Digitalchromemonkey!

Blessings upon you and your sons

Has anyone challenged the different treatment here compared to neibouring countries? Thai driving licences suffice as ID therefore therefore we're no different to anyone else.

Yes, I know of several, including my self who have written to HMPO challenging the different procedures they put in place for Thailand.

Answer always has been:

1) We did this to help prevent any theft of your ID in Thailand.

2) Thai Law 'stipulates' that one must carry one's passport on one person at all times.

We really should however keep writing in complaints about the application processes available in Thailand, because they do still suck.

Might be worth making the point that, while HMPO can, as they have done, introduce disproportionately onerous procedures aimed at preventing ID theft at passport renewal time, there is, of course, SFA they can do to prevent ID theft during the lifetime of a passport if it is lost or stolen! This makes a complete mockery of said disproportionately onerous renewal procedures then IMHO!!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

After receiving my new British passport (13 days from application submission to notification of arrival), I have now had my years extension transferred from my old passport to the new.

I can confirm that Phuket Immigration DOES need the stamped and signed letter from the British Embassy.

They will not do the transfer without it.

Reporting back as promised- I received a call from Trendy today so, the timescale was 4/5-18/5. 14 days- I'm impressed. Off to collect it and see the embassy tomorrow.

Just for the general 'non-newsworthiness' of it- I went to my appointment today and it was the picture of polite and efficient service. I turned up before the allowed time of 5 minutes before, and never a comment. I was whisked into the office a full 10 minutes early. The whole process took about 15 minutes with no problems with the forms. The time scale was reported as usual as 'at least 6-8 weeks, although I've got my fingers crossed as my passport runs out in 6. The one thing that I was surprised about is they didn't clip my old passport- they will do it when I return to collect my new one she said. I haven't read all of this massive thread, so maybe that is because I will collect it as opposed to having it posted.

Anyway- it was a good and efficient service- I was impressed. Just a shame about having to leave at 9 am and get back home at 4 pm for a 20 minute appointment. biggrin.png

They only clip your old passport when you collect the new one, postal/courier delivery to your home address are not options for Thailand.

Please let the thread know once you get your new passport.

Reporting back as promised- I received a call from Trendy today so, the timescale was 4/5-18/5. 14 days- I'm impressed. Off to collect it and see the embassy tomorrow.

Just for the general 'non-newsworthiness' of it- I went to my appointment today and it was the picture of polite and efficient service. I turned up before the allowed time of 5 minutes before, and never a comment. I was whisked into the office a full 10 minutes early. The whole process took about 15 minutes with no problems with the forms. The time scale was reported as usual as 'at least 6-8 weeks, although I've got my fingers crossed as my passport runs out in 6. The one thing that I was surprised about is they didn't clip my old passport- they will do it when I return to collect my new one she said. I haven't read all of this massive thread, so maybe that is because I will collect it as opposed to having it posted.

Anyway- it was a good and efficient service- I was impressed. Just a shame about having to leave at 9 am and get back home at 4 pm for a 20 minute appointment. biggrin.png

They only clip your old passport when you collect the new one, postal/courier delivery to your home address are not options for Thailand.

Don't forget a beer and smile in the bar on ground floor........Well the bird there put a twinkle in this old guys eye.............giggle.gif

• Like 1

After receiving my new British passport (13 days from application submission to notification of arrival), I have now had my years extension transferred from my old passport to the new.

I can confirm that Phuket Immigration DOES need the stamped and signed letter from the British Embassy.

They will not do the transfer without it.

Thanks for the update, good to know that Phuket have now changed their procedures for stamp transfer from old to new passports.

• Like 1

Thanks for the up date, much appreciated.

So we are now half way through May and to date the faster turnaround times are not getting any longer - this is an encouraging start to the passport renewal peak season, particularly when compared with last year.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any experience to share about the waiting time for the transferal of visa letter to come from consular services. I applied by email on Monday and have still heard nothing. Does anyone know if that is normal?

Does anyone have any experience to share about the waiting time for the transferal of visa letter to come from consular services. I applied by email on Monday and have still heard nothing. Does anyone know if that is normal?

When I applied, they responded the next day, listing what information/scans I should provide (this info I sent pretty much by return), then the pro-forma arrived at my home by EMS two days later.

If you have not heard anything then perhaps it's definitely worth re-sending your request using a different (generic - gmail type, etc.) email address with a meaningful subject line, in case you got caught in one of the consulate's spam filters.

You did send the email to British Embassy Consular Services in BKK, not trendy or elsewhere?

Mine took 2 days. Download the form, fill it in, scan and email. They tear it up after copying info to a new form. They EMS it to your home address.

• 2 weeks later...

A hiccup?

Digitalchromemonkey

I started an SCB virtual card last week specifically for the passport payment.

I credited it with 6000 baht.

The girl at SCB got on the blower with BKK I think because she didn't think the virtual card could be used for payments abroad.

She handed me the phone saying the lady spoke perfect English, which she did.

I told her about the passport payment and so on.

She said the virtual card system was not complete at this stage and so far it is only set up to make payments in baht, therefore only in Thailand.

I told her about the firm information I'd received that it was OK and hypothesised that maybe HMPO took enough baht to make the payment.

We both realised she could make no comment so I made my thanks and hung up.

I guess the question is have folks here actually used this card and are we sure it's kosher for the job.

Thanks

I need to renew my passport. It took 3 emails over 10 days to get an appointment. The last email was sent 3 days ago. Today I received an appointment for 27th May. Hopefully it will be plain sailing from now on.

you re lucky, I have now sent 3 emails over 2 weeks and still not had a rply regarding an appointment. VFS must be a Thai/Indian agency = we don't give a toss to customers, especially British passport holders

I need to renew my passport. It took 3 emails over 10 days to get an appointment. The last email was sent 3 days ago. Today I received an appointment for 27th May. Hopefully it will be plain sailing from now on.

you re lucky, I have now sent 3 emails over 2 weeks and still not had a rply regarding an appointment. VFS must be a Thai/Indian agency = we don't give a toss to customers, especially British passport holders

That's bad, but check your spam mail box. Good luck.

I had exactly the same problem. I sent several emails and got no appointment. It turned out that in my case I had to ask for an appointment between 2 and 3 weeks in advance.

If you ask for an appointment slot and it is full, they just ignore the email.

Try asking well in advance if that's possible.

• Like 2

I can't agree with that - the process has become relatively efficient and the turnaround times are acceptable.

I'm not sure what's "relatively efficient" about a process that requires the elderly, the disabled to travel thousands of kilometres to get a new passport when Brits in nearby countries can do it all from their homes.

Looks like you have failed to keep up with the requirements!

Nobody has to travel anywhere.

An agent/friend can be authorised to submit the applicant and then collect the passport.

I can't agree with that - the process has become relatively efficient and the turnaround times are acceptable.

I'm not sure what's "relatively efficient" about a process that requires the elderly, the disabled to travel thousands of kilometres to get a new passport when Brits in nearby countries can do it all from their homes.

Looks like you have failed to keep up with the requirements!

Nobody has to travel anywhere.

An agent/friend can be authorised to submit the applicant and then collect the passport.

But there's no getting away from the fact that Brits living in LOS can no longer do it all from their homes unless they enlist the assistance of friends or agents - unlike those living in Malaysia for instance, who do not need to travel - or have someone travel for them - to a ridiculously-named office building in KL!

• Like 2

A hiccup?

Digitalchromemonkey

I started an SCB virtual card last week specifically for the passport payment.

I credited it with 6000 baht.

The girl at SCB got on the blower with BKK I think because she didn't think the virtual card could be used for payments abroad.

She handed me the phone saying the lady spoke perfect English, which she did.

I told her about the passport payment and so on.

She said the virtual card system was not complete at this stage and so far it is only set up to make payments in baht, therefore only in Thailand.

I told her about the firm information I'd received that it was OK and hypothesised that maybe HMPO took enough baht to make the payment.

We both realised she could make no comment so I made my thanks and hung up.

I guess the question is have folks here actually used this card and are we sure it's kosher for the job.

Thanks

After reading your post I checked the SCB Virtual Card small print (have one myself - applied when it first came out) - nothing about a debar on foreign use.

However there is now a sub-heading on one of the SCB web pages stating that the virtual card is for making Thai purchases, plus that it requires an OTP via SMS, which thus makes it useless for any UK Passport renewal payments.

Looks like your information from SCB is correct, not however the end of the world since any money placed on your virtual card can be easily transferred back to your regular SCB Account at the stroke of a couple of keys.

The Kasikorn K Web Shopping Card has been reported, more than once, as successfully working for UK passport applications via HMPO, looks like you'll need to go down that route now, else find a friend who would let you use their credit card..

Looks like my advice on the suitability of the SCB Virtual Card for this purpose was off the mark, sorry.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 2