Changes To British Passport Services In Thailand

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well as we are rounding off, I'll add my continuing tale to the mix. As keen observers no doubt already know- I applied back in May and got my passport back in 2 weeks. The day I picked it up I applied for my visa swop letter by email from the UK embassy- long story short, it took 4 emails, 4 telephone conversations and 17 days until I finally got the letter by ems. So if you don't get a quick response, contact them by phone. Immigration (Nakhon Pathom) stated on query that they would not accept the email version that the embassy send out before the EMS. You also need to provide copies of your 2 passport photo pages, your TM card, your original visa (even if like me you are on your 3rd passport and your original visa was 13 years ago), and your most recent extension pages. For me it was about 15-20 pages or so. The immigration officer told me I would have to go out and get them as they had no facilities available. Then a bit later she shushed me and bade me sit quietly while she went off. 2 minutes later she came back with all the copies done and a cheeky smile. Bless her cotton socks.

Well as we are rounding off, I'll add my continuing tale to the mix. As keen observers no doubt already know- I applied back in May and got my passport back in 2 weeks. The day I picked it up I applied for my visa swop letter by email from the UK embassy- long story short, it took 4 emails, 4 telephone conversations and 17 days until I finally got the letter by ems. So if you don't get a quick response, contact them by phone. Immigration (Nakhon Pathom) stated on query that they would not accept the email version that the embassy send out before the EMS. You also need to provide copies of your 2 passport photo pages, your TM card, your original visa (even if like me you are on your 3rd passport and your original visa was 13 years ago), and your most recent extension pages. For me it was about 15-20 pages or so. The immigration officer told me I would have to go out and get them as they had no facilities available. Then a bit later she shushed me and bade me sit quietly while she went off. 2 minutes later she came back with all the copies done and a cheeky smile. Bless her cotton socks.

Bit surprised that they wanted a copy of your original visa since I would have thought that this was covered in the stamps they presumably placed on the first page of passport #2 (which I assume is the one being renewed in your case) 10 years ago! That said TIT, of course.

Bit surprised that they wanted a copy of your original visa since I would have thought that this was covered in the stamps they presumably placed on the first page of passport #2 (which I assume is the one being renewed in your case) 10 years ago! That said TIT, of course.

When I got my last one 10 years ago the system was different, and they did not transfer the visa in the same way as they do now. I was supposed to carry both the expired and active passport at the same time, although not all officers demanded it and I left the country on more than one occasion with just #2. The first stamp in my #2 passport is just a normal 'application to stay is permitted' for one year.

When I got my last one 10 years ago the system was different, and they did not transfer the visa in the same way as they do now. I was supposed to carry both the expired and active passport at the same time, although not all officers demanded it and I left the country on more than one occasion with just #2. The first stamp in my #2 passport is just a normal 'application to stay is permitted' for one year.

Even today "VISAS" are never transferred.!

A valid VISA in an expired passport requires that both passports to be presented to immigration authorities.

Even today "VISAS" are never transferred.!

A valid VISA in an expired passport requires that both passports to be presented to immigration authorities.

Yes that is correct, however there is a subtle point that when you have an extension of stay, along with the details of that extension, a note is also transferred into your new passport as to the original visa/type/entry that one's current sequence of extensions started from.

Never gets mentioned in advice, because it would confuse the f..k out of some one who has an extant visa in the old passport, where that is never transferred to a replacement passport.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

Went for 90 day report with my new PP. They put the number of my old PP and extension info in the new PP. She said forget old PP..........

Of course I won't, but seems their PC logs everything regarding info to new PP...

• Like 2

Went for 90 day report with my new PP. They put the number of my old PP and extension info in the new PP. She said forget old PP..........

Of course I won't, but seems their PC logs everything regarding info to new PP...

Indeed- on my latest passport there are 2 pages full of stamps detailing my original visa. That did not happen on my second one- just an extension of stay stamp. The officer this time specifically told me that I no longer need to carry either of my old passports.

My apologies nzexapt, I should have said that they didn't transfer the details of the visa in the same way on my second passport. The process that Digitalchromakey describes did not exist 10 years ago.

Indeed- on my latest passport there are 2 pages full of stamps detailing my original visa. That did not happen on my second one- just an extension of stay stamp. The officer this time specifically told me that I no longer need to carry either of my old passports.

My apologies nzexapt, I should have said that they didn't transfer the details of the visa in the same way on my second passport. The process that Digitalchromakey describes did not exist 10 years ago.

Yes, it is good to know of actual proof that once all the paper trail of the grandfathering visa and history of subsequent, related extensions have been scribbled into the new passport, there's no need to furnish copies of the original visa, subsequent extensions and all related re-entry permits. I just hope that this trickles down to more backwoodsy Immigration office (you know there are some) when some poor bugger relocates to the back of beyond and gets the evil attitude and "Cannot!" (you know they can do it) when his 360-days are up.

• Like 1

Yes, it is good to know of actual proof that once all the paper trail of the grandfathering visa and history of subsequent, related extensions have been scribbled into the new passport, there's no need to furnish copies of the original visa, subsequent extensions and all related re-entry permits. I just hope that this trickles down to more backwoodsy Immigration office (you know there are some) when some poor bugger relocates to the back of beyond and gets the evil attitude and "Cannot!" (you know they can do it) when his 360-days are up.

I think you will find that their are very few ( or any) immigration offices that will want copies of your old passport after you get your stamps transferred now.

I use the same back woods immigration office that Trans does and they were very happy to transfer my stamps over to my new passport when I presented it with the required copies of the old one along with my extension of stay application. They were happy enough that they made copies of the transferred stamps and trashed the copies of my old passport I had attached to my application and handed back my old passport back to me.

• Like 1

I think you will find that their are very few ( or any) immigration offices that will want copies of your old passport after you get your stamps transferred now.

I use the same back woods immigration office that Trans does and they were very happy to transfer my stamps over to my new passport when I presented it with the required copies of the old one along with my extension of stay application. They were happy enough that they made copies of the transferred stamps and trashed the copies of my old passport I had attached to my application and handed back my old passport back to me.

Yea- although my Thai and eyesight are both somewhat limited, the stamps that I got this time seem to give a pretty comprehensive explanation of my visa history- way back to 2002. My original visa from 2001 is of course not mentioned. It was a bit of a task to find my original visa as that passport was buried under mud in PP in the tsunami, but she battled through all the same. I presume that is what it is all about anyway- you can afford to sling out your passports because now they have the paper trail filed away in a warehouse somewhere. Still it's nice not to have to carry two- as I said mine was quite badly damaged in the Tsunami, and whilst it was always accepted, it was a bit embarrassing.

Appointment at Trendy on 27th May. Passport signed for in Liverpool on 29th May. Credit card debited on 2nd June. Passport back 10th June.

I'm happy with that. For me the hardest thing was getting an appointment at Trendy. That took nearly 3 weeks.

Hello, sorry if this question is a pain as I can not find the relevant FAQ in this long thread.

Is there a service in BKK which can collect the new passport on my behalf and post it via EMS? It is with good reason.

Appreciate your response in advance.

Hello, sorry if this question is a pain as I can not find the relevant FAQ in this long thread.

Is there a service in BKK which can collect the new passport on my behalf and post it via EMS? It is with good reason.

Don't know of any specific agencies/companies; however trendy currently allow anyone with photo ID, a letter of authorisation from you, the A4 receipt you got when you filed your application, plus your existing passport that is being replaced, to collect on your behalf.

If you don't have a friend in BKK who can do this for you, then try phoning some visa agencies in the Sukhumvit Road area of BKK.

Good luck.

Edited by digitalchromakey

Don't know of any specific agencies/companies; however trendy currently allow anyone with photo ID, a letter of authorisation from you, the A4 receipt you got when you filed your application, plus your existing passport that is being replaced, to collect on your behalf.

If you don't have a friend in BKK who can do this for you, then try phoning some visa agencies in the Sukhumvit Road area of BKK.

Good luck.

Thanks, Digitalchromakey. If no lucks with friends, then I can enquire visa agencies in Sukhumvit Road area. wai.gif

PM sent

• 4 weeks later...

anyone know how much notice currently you have to give Trendy to receive your appointment. ie. how many weeks before must you email them and is it three dates you must give them. Also can you specify times ? Thank guys. Only 115 pages to trawl through :-)

anyone know how much notice currently you have to give Trendy to receive your appointment. ie. how many weeks before must you email them and is it three dates you must give them. Also can you specify times ? Thank guys. Only 115 pages to trawl through :-)

In view of blackcab's report at post #2867 I suggest that you give the With-It Tower Mob at least 3 weeks advance notice of your desired appointment. As stated on the GOV.UK website you'll need to include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times in your email.

Last month, the minimum wait was 1-2 weeks, with turn around running at approx. 2-3 weeks from filing your application to subsequent collection from trendy.

You can specify both days and times for your three choices (Monday- Friday 08:30- 15:00, excluding Thai/(plus some) UK Public Holidays).

You can specify date/time ranges.

Keep the email as simple as possible.

Just done it, took a week for the appointment (don't know if it could be a tad quicker as I asked for a date a week away from when I emailed) and then it took 15 days from the appointment to get the passport back. I only asked for one date as I guessed they would give me the closest to it if not possible.

Hello,

I received an email from HMPO Liverpool saying my passports have been despatched via Courier DX Secure, www.dxdelivery.com/consumer/my-tracking/.

My problem is unable to track two given numbers using this website.

When I enter these numbers, the options appear "UK" or "ROI". I have no idea what to do next as I am in Thailand. Can you kindly advise me that?

Appreciate the response in advance.

Had a good experience yesterday with HMPO at Trendy with applying for a UK passport renewal for my 16yo son (UK/Thai national).

Am based in Pattaya and I sent the appointment request email on 17th and was keen on ensuring that the date was set for 23rd at around lunchtime - had a meeting nearby at 3pm so the timing was important. Gave them 3 times around 12 to 1.30pm and they came back quickly with a suitable time.

Pitched up, with my son, at the trendy office about 30mins prior to the agreed time. Was given a number slip which indicated only 1 person waiting ahead of us. Only waited about 2mins and they allowed both of us into the appointment room.

The assistant checked over the form and photos plus the copies of the requested original documents. Had to copy both his old UK passport (had expired about 2 years back and was waiting for him to turn 16 so that the new one would be of 10years duration) and his Thai passport. So, a lumpy set of papers!!

All checked out and we then received the Document Receipt which included details of the DHL number. He advised it would be 6to8 weeks but I have seen from other comments that it may only be 2to3 weeks.

All took about 10 to 15 minutes and very efficient process.

• 3 weeks later...

Some information about the Trendy UK passport renewal procedure that may be of use to someone.

I live very close to the area, so am able to make an appointment for pretty much any time on almost any day. I emailed them today, Thursday 13th August, asking for 10am to 3.30pm on either August 17th, 18th or 19th.

There was an instant automated reply indicating my email had been received, and about an hour later I was sent an email giving me an appointment on Tues August 18th at 11am- couldn't get much quicker than that!

I walked over to the building to start getting the photos and passport colour photocopies that you need, as it's been posted that those facilities are available on the ground floor.

Since I was there anyway I asked at the VFS reception kiosk in the lobby on the off chance that I could get the forms for renewal application and credit card payment without the hassle of going to an internet cafe to print them out (I don't have my own printer). After they saw the appointment verification email on my phone, they sent me up to the 28th floor, and after getting queue number and a 3 minute wait I was given the forms and a handwritten note about what documents I should bring next week from a fluent and pleasant young woman using a pencil with a plastic cow on a spring bobbing on the end of it. So far couldn't be better.

Downstairs there are several visa service businesses, many of which do photographs, and one with a lot of Korean writing on the window that does colour photocopies at 25B a sheet, so I got my entire old passport copied for 425B.

The only sllght problem occurred with the passport photos.The UK guidelines are very specific about the face size and the colour of the background.

I went to a place immediately adjacent to a small coffee shop called Coffee Wings, just to the right of the main entrance, that had several photo examples with 'UK' written underneath them taped on the wall. It was 250 baht for 6 photos, not cheap, but OK. I showed them the diagram specifying that the head from crown to chin must measure 29 to 34 mm and they looked at it with interest (but not with much recognition) and said we can do it . They then took a photo, in a fairly random manner, immediately printed it out and the head was 37mm crown to chin. They were obviously not carrying out any recognisable procedure for sizing the photo correctly.

Now they were very nice, but very Thai. They first said it does not matter, is OK, no-one ever complain. I said but I can't risk it, I don't want to have to get another appointment or waste a month waiting if the photos are no good and they get sent back from the UK. They then said well you have long head so it's hard (!) At this point I said in a mildly exasperated tone -but you said that you could do it like the picture I showed you! I thought you have software that you can just change the head size!

They replied something like "oh we are only small place, don't have, but we do again for you, but this paper expensive!" They took another picture, then showed me the screen on the camera and asked if it was the right size now! I explained that you can't tell, it depends how you print it. They agreed, and took another a bit further away. At this point I was kind of amused, and just thought it's only 250 Baht, I'll just go somewhere else afterwards. They printed the second lot out and they were 33mm crown to chin. Success, but by trial and error!

We parted on good terms with them obviously thinking I was nuts to insist on a specific head size, but what can you do with foreigners, and me thanking them effusively for doing a second set of prints how I wanted rather than how they wanted...

So you have to choose the right place on the ground floor if you want photos done exactly as the UK guidelines specify-don't assume because a photo shop is in the building that they are necessarily familiar with the UK specifications or how to achieve them!

All in all though it was easy and quick, and I now have everything assembled and ready to go.

• Like 1

Just checking if any guys living here have two British passports and they have recently renewed one of the two at Trendy.

How can you have two....?

One asks!

Often needed in the case of frequent travel and the need to obtain visas or when travel between two countries may be denied if the "wrong" stamps are in the passport (Try entering some Arab countries with a passport that contains Israeli immigration stamps)

• Like 1

If you frequently travel for business outside of Europe you can apply for a second UK passport. This is often necessary because one passport will be in an embassy getting a visa inserted while the owner will be using the second passport to travel.

• Like 2

Just checking if any guys living here have two British passports and they have recently renewed one of the two at Trendy.

How can you have two....?

One asks!

Often needed in the case of frequent travel and the need to obtain visas or when travel between two countries may be denied if the "wrong" stamps are in the passport (Try entering some Arab countries with a passport that contains Israeli immigration stamps)

Thought nobody could have two PP...........?