Work Permit to start a business based on marriage to a Thai ?

Can anyone here tell me the correct procedures in the following ?

If I'm married to a Thai lady and my marriage is also registered I obviously have a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai.

Now, what if I'm married to a Thai lady, live in LOS and also want to start a business and work within the business myself ?? What kind of WP / Visa do I need to apply for to make this legal and do I go about it ?

"If I'm married to a Thai lady and my marriage is also registered I obviously have a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai."

Obvious?

You should be able to get a work permit with a Non O or B Visa if you work for a Thai company that meets the Labor Office requirements and it's a job open for foreigners.

You can set up a business and get a work permit with your extension of stay based upon marriage.

I have been told this by ThaiVisa members a few times - I can get a work permit on a non O based on marriage. Problem is, I have now been to two accountants and three lawyers in Phuket and all insist, with some degree of variation, that the only way to get a work permit is via a Non B. Two members on this forum were kind enough to let me have the contact details of their own lawyers, but when I tried to contact them by email no one replied. I managed to get through to another by phone, and he said he knows nothing about work permit based on marriage on a non O!

I know it is possible because a friend has it as stated by TV members, but he does not have the number of who arranged it for him. Does anyone know of anyone reliable and who knows what they are talking about to help me out on this? I am based in Phuket.

I know it is possible because a friend has it as stated by TV members, but he does not have the number of who arranged it for him. Does anyone know of anyone reliable and who knows what they are talking about to help me out on this? I am based in Phuket.

What do you mean "arranged" ? If you have a legit job offer you can apply yourself, otherwise if you want to spend money for a fake employment then is pretty much the same, you can still try getting the work-permit with a non-imm 'o". They only time lawyers or accountant are used is when the provide the sham companies.

Edited by paz

The problem with asking lawyers, accountants, agents and etc about applying for a work permit with a non-o visa or extension based upon marriage is that they will not give you a factual answer. They will give an answer that is best for them because they can make more money from putting the paperwork together to get a non-b visa and extension for working.

There is nothing special needed to get the work permit other than your marriage certificate and possibly a updated Kor Ror 2 marriage registry.

• Like 2

What the lawyers / accountants tell you is not true. You can get a work permit without a B-Visa or other visas if you are married to a Thai. That's what Ubon Joe told me before and turned out to be 100% correct.

I am married to a Thai, holding an extension of stay permit due to marriage and a work permit which allows me to work in our ltd. employing 2 Thais.

To keep things simple, I would suggest you not to connect your work permit and the prof of income for your extension of stay.

Deal with immigration to get yr extension of stay due to marriage by keeping 400k on yr bank account for 2 months (plus the processing time until the extension is approved).

Deal with the labour department for yr work permit. If you have an extension of stay due to marriage then you only need to deal with the other requirements they ask from you for being employed at yr / yr wife's business.

I made the experience if you want to get a WP and are on an other visa than the extension of stay due to marriage, then the immigration wants to set the rules not only in regards of yr visa but also advices the labour department under which circumstances only they are allowed to issue you a WP (eg for labor department, 2 employed Thais is ok, immigration requested 5 even I am

married to a Thai).

You don't need a lawyer / accountant for that.

Get the extension of stay due to marriage from immigration first. Then ask yr wife to go to the labour department and collect their requirements and then follow up accordingly (without involving immigration).

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Fraserman

• Like 1