US - IR1 Visa - DC Filing - Timeline

US IR1 Visa – Direct Consular Filing – Bangkok

Thursday Feb 14, 2013 – got married at Amphur Pak Ret, Nonthaburi. Cost: I paid using change from my pocket. 40 baht?

Friday Feb 14, 2014 – celebrated one year anniversary.

April 2014 – wife and I talked and decided we wanted to move to the US in April 2015. wife wants to experience snow.

April thru Sept. – started reading about how to get a US visa for my wife. I slowly gathered all of the documents required for filing the I-130 and the Packet 3.

July 2014 – two people in the US happily volunteered to sponsor my wife……#1 my uncle, #2 a buddy of mine.

Sept. 2014 – I received via mail the sponsorship application from both my uncle and my good buddy.

NOTE: I could’ve used one, but decided to use both for the hell of it.

NOTE: I maintained my US Domicile: bank acct, retirement savings, driver license, voter registration (I always voted absentee.)

Friday Oct 3, 2014 – filed I-130 at USCIS in Bkk – arrived at 9:45 and departed at 11:55. Paid 13,860 baht

got the medical check done at BNH Hospital –arrived at 1:00 and departed at 4:30 – paid almost 5,000 baht

Tuesday Oct 21 – got letter from USCIS indicating the I-130 was forwarded to the Consular Section at the US Embassy

Tuesday Oct 28 – got the official Packet 3 letter from the Consular Section at the US Embassy via mail.

Thursday Oct 30 – went to the Royal Thai Police HQ in Bkk with the official Packet 3 letter and applied for the Police Clearance Certificate – arrived at 9 and departed at 10. 100 baht plus 50 baht EMS mailing fee.

The receipt indicated the police certificate would arrive on or about Nov 20.

8:00 pm: went online and completed the DS-260 application and then created a personal profile at www.ustraveldocs.com/th

Monday Nov 10 - I emailed the IV Unit and asked if my wife could bring the Police Clearance Certificate to the interview, because it had yet to arrive, and they said yes.

Thursday Nov 13 – I mailed the Packet 3 Documents to the US Embassy, Consular Section, IV Unit.

82 baht EMS mailing fee.

Friday Nov 14 – 10am - Packet 3 arrived at US Embassy Bangkok.

Wednesday Nov 19 – 9 am - I received an email from the Immigrant Visa Unit instructing my wife to come in for The interview at 7 am Tuesday Dec 2nd.

The police certificate will arrive today or tomorrow.

I expect the interview to be about a 5 minute ordeal. My wife will have a small photo album containing 40 pictures along with several original documents. We will depart Thailand April 16, 2015.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: The Police Clearance Certificate arrived on schedule.

US Consular Interview - Tuesday December 2nd

6:30am Arrived at US Embassy and got in line.

6:50am Wife entered the US Embassy. Paid the final fee of Baht 10,725

10:40am Wife exited the US Embassy. The interview was successful.

The interview itself took about 20 minutes

Details:

A female Thai Officer did the initial interview – about 5 minutes.

She viewed the original documents, Thai Passport, House Registration and our utility bills bearing both of our names.

She asked:

-where my parents live and what kind of work they do.

-about when, where and how we met.

-when I proposed marriage.

-who the 2 sponsors are. Only one sponsor was required, but I had 2. One sponsor was a good friend and the other was my uncle.

My wife was then sent to a female American Officer for a second interview- about 15 minutes

She asked:

-about when, where and how we met.

-when and where did we get married.

-to see photos and made my wife describe each one. This took up most of the time.

*my wife had a small photo album containing 40 pictures

*she asked if there was a picture of us at the Amphur where we registered our marriage

why you want to go to America.

-what state? Why?

-what kind of work will both of you do in America.

-what kind of work does your spouse do in Thailand.

The Officer took my wife’s Passport and said it and the documentation to enter the US will arrive in next week’s mail.

Good luck to everyone else and I hope this post can be helpful.

Final Update:

Yesterday, Monday Dec 8, my wife's Passport and Immigrant Visa Package arrived.

There was a letter instructing us to go to the USCIS-ELIS website, create an account and pay the "USCIS Immigrant Fee" of $165. I never before read about this fee anywhere.

We did so and this now brings the total amount of all of the fees to about Baht 36,000.

• Like 1

Final Update:

Yesterday, Monday Dec 8, my wife's Passport and Immigrant Visa Package arrived.

There was a letter instructing us to go to the USCIS-ELIS website, create an account and pay the "USCIS Immigrant Fee" of $165. I never before read about this fee anywhere.

We did so and this now brings the total amount of all of the fees to about Baht 36,000.

This is something fairly new. It's basically a fee for the green card.

• 4 weeks later...

Could you please clarify a bit on the packet 3 letter ? Is that simply a list of the documents you

need, or is more like a permission letter for the interview ? Thanks ..

The official Packet 3 letter is mailed to you from the Consular Section at the US Embassy. This letter acknowledges that they have received the I-130 and they are now ready for you to submit all of the Packet 3 documents. This letter will have your wife's name and "Case Number" on it. You cannot "legitimately" get the Police Clearance Certificate without this official letter. This letter will no longer be needed after you apply for and receive the Police Clearance Certificate.

The documents for our Packet 3 was about 1 inch high. These docs include a copy of your passports, birth certificates, name change certificate, if applicable, marriage certificate, joint bank accts, sponsorship applications, IRS tax returns, letters from people acknowledging you and your wife's relationship, utility bills/lease showing both of your names together. etc. You need to prove that you live together and are indeed in a relationship. Having a daughter together will solidify this, assuming both of your names are on her birth certificate. This is also where you show that you have maintained or re-established your domicile. They want to know what your plans will be. Where will you actually stay? with friends, relatives? They need to provide a letter of invitation and provide their contact info.

Thai documents do not have to be translated to English.

Appears the entire process has taken only about four months? That's fantastic!

Could you clarify, you filed I130 and recd a packet which contained info which you then took to BNH? Both, same day. USCIS gave you info for medical, etc (packet 1). Was this a a walk in to file, did you dl a form prior? Did you pay cash usd?

I read somewhere USCIS is near the embassy, tjis is the initial filing? Last packet is thru consular services on Wireless (emb).

Can I ask...your ages, your employment if any (2). No kids? Has she been to US prior? Finally, are you in abig city or the sticks?

What needs to be translated and where did you have this done?

How were all the payments made? The final us165, you just keep the bin for whatever and will beseny gc few weeks after you arrive.

Do you know how the gc, social#, papers are triggered to be sent to US address? Say you arrive five months after visa issued. Do you file a settlement notification after artival? Thx.

Thanks.

PS I'm sure this is all over the Internets but could you summarize what is in each of three packets please.

Edited by Mencken

Appears the entire process has taken only about four months? That's fantastic!

Could you clarify, you filed I130 and recd a packet which contained info which you then took to BNH? Both, same day. USCIS gave you info for medical, etc (packet 1). Was this a a walk in to file, did you dl a form prior? Did you pay cash usd?

I read somewhere USCIS is near the embassy, tjis is the initial filing? Last packet is thru consular services on Wireless (emb).

Can I ask...your ages, your employment if any (2). No kids? Has she been to US prior? Finally, are you in abig city or the sticks?

What needs to be translated and where did you have this done?

How were all the payments made? The final us165, you just keep the bin for whatever and will beseny gc few weeks after you arrive.

Do you know how the gc, social#, papers are triggered to be sent to US address? Say you arrive five months after visa issued. Do you file a settlement notification after artival? Thx.

Thanks.

PS I'm sure this is all over the Internets but could you summarize what is in each of three packets please.

process was about 2 months.

"you filed I130 and recd a packet which contained info which you then took to BNH?"

no, we did not receive a packet after filing the I-130. we simply went to BNH and told them we were applying for a USA Visa and we needed the medical check. we brought all the required forms for them to complete, which we downloaded from the embassy website and printed.

the USCIS is across the street in a tall building. I think the 13th 14th floor. this is the initial filing.

I'm 40, wife is 34...never been married, no kids, live just outside of Bangkok. I'm an English teacher and wife has never been out of Thailand.

nothing needs to be translated.

payments were made in baht at the USCIS and the Embassy. the final $165 online pmt was made using a debit/credit card.

Do you know how the gc, social#, papers are triggered to be sent to US address?

We already provided an address in the US. They will be sent out upon arrival in the US. Should arrive in 1-3 weeks after entering the US.

Do you file a settlement notification after artival? No.

nothing needs to be translated.

You will want to have Birth Certificates and Marriage documents translated while still here in Thailand, they might not require it for filing here, but when you file for Removal of Conditions, renewal of GC, or for Naturalization, and depending other times you might need them in the US.

Do you file for removal of conditions with IR1? I thought you go in unconditionally. CR is conditional if I recall correctly. What conditions, curious?

Yes, good point about the translations...can (it) they be done anywhere?

Do you file for removal of conditions with IR1? I thought you go in unconditionally. CR is conditional if I recall correctly. What conditions, curious?

Yes, good point about the translations...can (it) they be done anywhere?

You file a removal of conditions with IR1, if you have been married for less than 2 years upon entry into the US. You go in unconditionally, if you have been married for more than 2 years upon entry into the US.

The first gets the foreign spouse a 2 yr green card, the later gets a 10 yr green card.

Firms provide translation services online without having to leave the comfort of your home. You'd have to scan the docs and email them. They'd translate and email them back and mail you an official hard-copy. You can pay with cc or bank transfer. That's what I did.

It most likely will be cheaper here in Thailand. "Interlanguage Translation Center" in Bkk charges baht 300/ doc.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a wonderful and very informative post, thanks for taking the time to share your details. Can I ask some questions about the process?

1. Did you make an appt for the uscis when filing the I-130?

2. What documents did you include when filing the I-130? Chat logs, emails, cover page?

3. Does a person need a sponsor if they have adequate US finances, house, retirement savings, etc.

4. Did you get email/mail notices or NOA1 and NOA2?

Thanks again.

This is a wonderful and very informative post, thanks for taking the time to share your details. Can I ask some questions about the process?

2. What documents did you include when filing the I-130? Chat logs, emails, cover page?

3. Does a person need a sponsor if they have adequate US finances, house, retirement savings, etc.

Thanks again.

Thank you. You are welcome and you can ask some questions about the process.

1. No appointment was made when filing the I-130.

2. The attached I-130 cover letter lists everything I included when I filed the I-130.

3. A person does not need a sponsor if they have adequate finances.

4. Tuesday Oct 28 – got the official Packet 3 letter from the Consular Section at the US Embassy via mail. (NOA1?)

Wednesday Nov 19 – 9 am - I received an email (NOA2?)from the Immigrant Visa Unit instructing my wife to come in for The interview at 7 am Tuesday Dec 2nd.

Thanks again.

Thank you. You are welcome and you can ask some questions about the process.

2. The attached I-130 cover letter lists everything I included when I filed the I-130.

4. Tuesday Oct 28 – got the official Packet 3 letter from the Consular Section at the US Embassy via mail. (NOA1?)

Wednesday Nov 19 – 9 am - I received an email (NOA2?)from the Immigrant Visa Unit instructing my wife to come in for The interview at 7 am Tuesday Dec 2nd.

Thanks! I forgot to ask if your spouse came with you when you filed the I-130, and what the filing experience was like. Is it similar to getting something done at the embassy, go through security, get a number then wait till called to see a clerk?

Did you actually meet with someone to discuss your petition, and did anyone review your package as you were submitting it for missing/incomplete items? Also, do you know if they accept credit card payments for the $420 usd filing fee?

Im really happy to hear that you got through the process without any RFE requests. I have read so many horror stories about the USCIS losing pictures, certificates, and other delays and then needing replacements.

Edited by rideswings

Thanks! I forgot to ask if your spouse came with you when you filed the I-130, and what the filing experience was like. Is it similar to getting something done at the embassy, go through security, get a number then wait till called to see a clerk?

Did you actually meet with someone to discuss your petition, and did anyone review your package as you were submitting it for missing/incomplete items? Also, do you know if they accept credit card payments for the $420 usd filing fee?

Im really happy to hear that you got through the process without any RFE requests. I have read so many horror stories about the USCIS losing pictures, certificates, and other delays and then needing replacements.

My internet is real slow. I tried attaching the cover letter to my post, but I didn't work. I PM'd it to you.

My spouse did come with me when I filed the I-130, but I don't think it was necessary. The officer never spoke to her. Yes, it's a little similar to the embassy, but the security is much more relaxed. Security consisted of one old man who was more focused on playing a car racing game on his smart phone. The waiting area is a small room. You press a button near the window to signify your presence.

A thai female officer did review my package to see if anything was missing. The officer pointed out a few places where I had to write "NA" because the question was not applicable. I'm not sure if they accept cc payments. We paid using baht. We brought all denominations of baht because we were prepared for them to not be able to give change.

they didn't loose anything. we kept copies of everything in case they did loose something.

Thanks again for the info. I have read stories of RFE and/or whole packets being sent back because the petitioner omitted an N/A in one of the questions. I guess going there in person helps cut down the time if anything was omitted or any more information is requested.

I was just at the USCIS office last week. Be careful of the hours as they are

only open from 8:30 to 12:00. Also close for a lot of holidays so perhaps best

to call or email ahead of time to be sure they are open. They wanted a translation

of our marriage document, and a lot of copies of other stuff as well as a lot

copies I had not thought of. Go downstairs to the 2nd floor, and there is a visa

service company that will do everything you need including photos...

I am still confused by the famous Packet 3 . Some posters are saying a bunch

of the forms are filled out and sent to the IV unit, and a website is saying all the

those documents such as the I-864 are brought to the verbal interview and submitted then.

What is the deal ?? Thanks.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Thanks again for the info. I have read stories of RFE and/or whole packets being sent back because the petitioner omitted an N/A in one of the questions. I guess going there in person helps cut down the time if anything was omitted or any more information is requested.

After you finish filling out the form, the woman there will go over every single line

of it to check it. Any mistakes you made, she will white out and make you do it

again. And any line that requires a N/A she will highlight for you in yellow and

push the form back to you. So I do not think any N/A horror stories will be happening

in Bangkok. But again they are skimpy on the hours. So if you are coming in from

out of town be sure to check. While their regular hours are pretty skimpy, I noticed

a hand written sign taped on the glass indicating even shorter hours for a couple

days of the week. No idea what that was about... Phone number is

02-205-5352 if you want to call ahead...

I am still confused by the famous Packet 3 . Some posters are saying a bunch

of the forms are filled out and sent to the IV unit, and a website is saying all the

those documents such as the I-864 are brought to the verbal interview and submitted then.

What is the deal ?? Thanks.

Read Post #8. The I-864 is part of Packet 3.

Carefully read the "Instructions Package" and the "Appointment Package." They are very clear. Links are below.

"Immigrant Visa" Packages

Also, I came across some inaccurate info in these forums during my research. Be careful about what you read. Ultimately, anyone can email questions to the USCIS or Bangkok Immigrant Visa Unit. It'll usually take about 2 days for them to reply.

My marriage certificate did indeed have to be translated, which was required by the woman at

the USCIS. The cost was 500 baht at the visa service company on the second floor of the same building.

This is weird. I had the translations for everything, birth certificate, name change and marriage certificate, and the officer said she didn't need them, but as I recall she did not return them. Maybe you dealt with a different officer? The lady I dealt with was Thai.

Obviously, it's definitely important to have them. I guess we never know which side of the bed they got up from.

My marriage certificate did indeed have to be translated, which was required by the woman at

the USCIS. The cost was 500 baht at the visa service company on the second floor of the same building.

This is weird. I had the translations for everything, birth certificate, name change and marriage certificate, and the officer said she didn't need them, but as I recall she did not return them. Maybe you dealt with a different officer? The lady I dealt with was Thai.

Obviously, it's definitely important to have them. I guess we never know which side of the bed they got up from.

Submitting any foreign language documents to USCIS must be translated to English.

• Translations. Any foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English translation that the translator has certified as complete and correct, and by the translator's certification that he or she is competent to translate the foreign language into English.

http://www.uscis.gov/forms/file-my-application-online-e-filing/submitting-supporting-documentation

The embassy has a different set of rules, and does not require all documents to be translated, but since they get the all the copies that were submitted to USCIS, they should theoretically have the translations already. I know one person in the states that got an RFE for not sending in the english translation (even though it was stapled to the back of the document).

Submitting any foreign language documents to USCIS must be translated to English.

• Translations. Any foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English translation that the translator has certified as complete and correct, and by the translator's certification that he or she is competent to translate the foreign language into English.

http://www.uscis.gov/forms/file-my-application-online-e-filing/submitting-supporting-documentation

The embassy has a different set of rules, and does not require all documents to be translated, but since they get the all the copies that were submitted to USCIS, they should theoretically have the translations already. I know one person in the states that got an RFE for not sending in the english translation (even though it was stapled to the back of the document).

Page 5 of the "Instruction Package" for Packet 3 states that documents that are not in English or Thai must be translated to English.

You were very lucky that your a resident in BKK and able to go to the Embassy and deal with them face to face.

My spouse made five trips to BKK during the process. Had to do the medical twice as sputum culture was required and that takes two months. By the time we provided fingerprint based police clearance from Australia, the three month window of validity for the medical had expired.

The nurse at the hospital placed the examination date by the doctor down as the start date when the option was the date the sputum culture report generated thus adding three months to the validity of the medical.

We visited my family for three months each year in Australia but immigration officer thought it necessary for an Australian Police Report. The first 221g notice after interview requesting further documents merely said Australian Police Report as discussed in interview. First Australian Police Report was not finger print based. So had to do that again. The second 221g request specified finger print based Australian Police Check so that was how we knew what they wanted. I also had delays in getting documents from the US. The IRS didn't even respond to two letters requesting documents. Finally I found an agent and the 1040 telephone number that accessed my account and sent the right document immediately. That put us out of time as well.

I am reminded that nothing worth having comes easy so when the Embassy called last Friday morning and advised that the CR1 visa had issued, we booked our flight for Wednesday January 28. Spouse flew to BKK to pick up passport with visa as it was too precious to us to trust the mails. Total elapsed time was a little over seven months. They are very good at returning emails. I don't think they take telephone calls.

I note you don't mention the CR1 which I believe is the only designation for an immigration visa for those married less than two years.

Also note your departure date for the US. Our visa expires on the deadline of the three month validity of the medical report. The validity date of your visa is printed on the visa so give yourself a little breathing room as flights can cancel, etc.

Marriage certificate had to be translated or she would not accept my paperwork.

Also make sure to ring the bell only one time then sit down. She yelled at me because I rang it again after she didnt come to the window the first time after I waited 10 minutes.

Edited by rideswings

You were very lucky that your a resident in BKK and able to go to the Embassy and deal with them face to face.

My spouse made five trips to BKK during the process. Had to do the medical twice as sputum culture was required and that takes two months. By the time we provided fingerprint based police clearance from Australia, the three month window of validity for the medical had expired.

The nurse at the hospital placed the examination date by the doctor down as the start date when the option was the date the sputum culture report generated thus adding three months to the validity of the medical.

We visited my family for three months each year in Australia but immigration officer thought it necessary for an Australian Police Report. The first 221g notice after interview requesting further documents merely said Australian Police Report as discussed in interview. First Australian Police Report was not finger print based. So had to do that again. The second 221g request specified finger print based Australian Police Check so that was how we knew what they wanted. I also had delays in getting documents from the US. The IRS didn't even respond to two letters requesting documents. Finally I found an agent and the 1040 telephone number that accessed my account and sent the right document immediately. That put us out of time as well.

I am reminded that nothing worth having comes easy so when the Embassy called last Friday morning and advised that the CR1 visa had issued, we booked our flight for Wednesday January 28. Spouse flew to BKK to pick up passport with visa as it was too precious to us to trust the mails. Total elapsed time was a little over seven months. They are very good at returning emails. I don't think they take telephone calls.

I note you don't mention the CR1 which I believe is the only designation for an immigration visa for those married less than two years.

Also note your departure date for the US. Our visa expires on the deadline of the three month validity of the medical report. The validity date of your visa is printed on the visa so give yourself a little breathing room as flights can cancel, etc.

7 months filing from the US is quick for a spousal visa. The medical exam is valid for 1 year from the date of the exam, not 3 months. The only cavet is you need to enter the US prior to the expiration of the medical exam, if you follow the normal protocol of doing the medical when you receive packet 3 the medical exam should have plenty of time to enter the US prior to the expiration date.

Normally the visa is valid for 6 months from the date it was granted, or from the date of the medical plus 1 year, which ever is shorter.

You can order tax transcripts online from the IRS, when I did took about 10 days to arrive at my house for the prior 3 years. No need to send a letter.

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

Marriage certificate had to be translated or she would not accept my paperwork.

Also make sure to ring the bell only one time then sit down. She yelled at me because I rang it again after she didnt come to the window the first time after I waited 10 minutes.

Haha she definitely moves at her own pace. I quickly sussed

that out, and just sat patiently waiting for her to reappear

over long intervals. Those federal forms are crazy, no matter

how carefully you fill them out, there is always some mistake

as the descriptions were not clear. But I was very polite,

she corrected the mistakes, and I thanked her profusely.

She was an older Thai lady, I never saw anybody else working.

Edited by EyesWideOpen