Can a non-native speaker teach english in thailand

Hello everyone,

I am quite a fresh member. I tried so hard to get to this page where I can write a post!!!

I am a Romanian citizen, male, 28 yo, and at the moment teaching English at a college in Beijing, China.

I have been teaching English for almost three years in three different countries.

I have a BA in English Language and Literature from a Romanian university (4 year degree).

Yet, my passport says I am not a native-speaker. I know there are a few countries where the immigration law requires a passport from a so-called native English speaking country.

I'd like to know if Thailand is one of them. And if it isn't, how can I 'legally' work in Thailand?????

Many thanks,

C

Hi c m r

I never heard of passports that say whether or not you are a native English speaker.  

Anyway, there are a number of Filipinos teaching English here and they are not native speakers.  

I think the first step is for you to contact language schools in Thailand to see what they say.  If you send me ([email protected]) your email address , I'll send you a list of schools that you can contact.  It's too long to post here.  

Aside from experience in teaching English, do you have any formal teaching certification like TESL, etc?  A certification will, I believe make things much easier.