Koh Tao murder suspects detained for another 12 days

webfact

Koh Tao murder suspects detained for another 12 days

11-20-2014-11-05-24-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Koh Samui provincial court on Thursday ordered two Myanmar suspects in Koh Tao murder case detained for another 12 days pending more interrogations of the suspects.

This was the fifth detention ordered by the court out of a total of seven of 12 days each as permitted by the law. The court however instructed the police to speed up the process so as not to keep the two suspects under detention for too long.

The two suspects, Win and Zorin, were presented before the court by the public prosecutor who wanted to seek the court’s order to hold them in detention for another round of 12 days.

The defence lawyer, MrNakhonChompoochart, said he would challenge the prosecutor’s demand for further detention of the suspects because he thought further detention was unjustified as the suspects had already been detained for 48 days.

MrVeeravuthPrammahan, the deputy public prosecutor of SuratThani, told the court that police were to question the suspects further and the prosecutor were to question the suspects too regarding their complaint that they were tortured by the police.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/koh-tao-murder-suspects-detained-another-12-days

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-21

• Like 1

"The defence lawyer, Mr Nakhon Chompoochart, said he would challenge the prosecutor’s demand for further detention of the suspects because he thought further detention was unjustified as the suspects had already been detained for 48 days."

Does Mr Nakhon reckons they should be released then? Murder suspects?

48 days is a sentence to this "lawyer" it would seem.

Edited by Jai Dee
Removed derogatory word
  • Like 1

"The defence lawyer, Mr Nakhon Chompoochart, said he would challenge the prosecutor’s demand for further detention of the suspects because he thought further detention was unjustified as the suspects had already been detained for 48 days."

Have you been following the case? It's quite simple - either the state prosecute you or let you go, this charade has been going on for to long!

Btw..Many ethnic Thai's goes out on bail - AFTER a murder conviction. So i guess, you can let these to fellows go back, to washing dishes on Koh Tao.

• Like 2

I wonder how Thai law looks at "wrongfully arrested" and "incarcerated without reason"

In Scandinavia, you get about 7-10k baht, a day, for the time you wasted in the lockup. I guess here, they will just get the "you are lucky to get out again"

To be honest, when is this charade going to end? Eveybody, even Thai's, know by now, that these two migrant workers did not kill anyone.... sad.png

There is indeed a formula for this. You get 200 Baht a day, I believe.

However, I don't think these 2 would qualify as they are just being held on remand.

Another report elsewhere says the detention was to permit more evidence to be obtained so just how much more does a ' perfect ' case need ?

More questioning of the suspects by police or is it to remind them what they're supposed to say ?

Will their lawyers be present when they're questioned by prosecutors about the torture allegations ?

• Like 2

I wonder how Thai law looks at "wrongfully arrested" and "incarcerated without reason"

In Scandinavia, you get about 7-10k baht, a day, for the time you wasted in the lockup. I guess here, they will just get the "you are lucky to get out again"

To be honest, when is this charade going to end? Eveybody, even Thai's, know by now, that these two migrant workers did not kill anyone.... sad.png

There is indeed a formula for this. You get 200 Baht a day, I believe.

However, I don't think these 2 would qualify as they are just being held on remand.

Well, in the west you also get compensated for wrongly "preventive detention". Its only the first 24 to 72 hours (depends on the EU country) that you can not get compensated for.

(Edit. And again - in the scandinavian countries and Holland, you can also get compensated for the first 24 hours.)

Edited by KhunMoo

There's a photo with the British ambassador with the coup leader general in today's news.

Surely by now he must have something to say on the subject.

I mean they have condemned the coup sent British police there to observe the murder of two British citizens and he's sitting down talking trade deals and it's all lovey dovey?

Absolutely absurd !

Whether you approve or not, life continues...business needs to be done..........

I doubt any country would cease diplomatic relations over something like KT.....

Strange how the British were able to enact a law in 1679 which is still in force today to stop the unjust detaining of suspects without charge but almost 350 years later thailand is not even close to sorting out this abuse of rights.

I suppose we could go back further to the 1215 Magna Carta which also provides an accused with certain rights of Liberty.

Yes the British legal system is infallible
  • Like 1

Apropos

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/20/burmese-murder-accused-british-backpackers-thailand

The pair, who were arrested a fortnight after the double murder and face a possible death penalty, passed the Guardian an open letter addressed to the victims’ parents.

Handwritten in Burmese, and with their names signed in English, it reads: “We are really distraught about the loss of your children, and we share your grief. But we want to stress to you that we didn’t do anything wrong, and this crime was nothing to do with us.

“In order that the truth can be revealed, we want to ask for help from all of you to ensure that we get access to information that the British government has. We would like this information to be shared with our lawyers so the truth can come out. We really want to express our thanks for your help.”

They are not murder suspects, they are patsies, my patriotic friend...

"Patsies" they may well be but is it not for the rape and murder of

a couple of people. Would that not make them, say, "murder suspects"

in the eye of the law? Just askin' like.