Phuket authorities ‘doing nothing about jet-ski rips offs’ – Hon Con

Lite Beer

I am interested in finding a way for it to work NOT why it cannot work. But following up on your thoughts, then each and everyone of us should "boycott" the travel agents who cannot or will not give advice, tell your friends and family NOT to use the travel agency. And use social media to get the message out there about the "couldn't care less" travel agencies! The internet can be powerful if used to get meaningful, best outcomes!

There'll be the rare conscientious one who knows & shares, but in the main 'not gonna' happen. Besides, if somebody goes on vacation and gets scammed (or robbed, or cheated by a local, or whatever...), who's really going to blame the travel agent?

I was nearly rolled by a large worldwide travel agent many years ago and never went back (actually ended up doing all my own bookings, online - better accommodation and airfares for my budget) and was happy to tell all and sundry about the experience.

It's a big world, with lots of bad stuff going on in it. I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect a TA to know all about the jet-ski scam in Phuket, the secret gem shops & closed temple scams in Bangkok, the cash-exchange rip-offs in Manila, the pickpockets in Madrid, the gypsy-kid gangs in Rome, etc., etc., etc. I would agree that doing our bit to spread the word on social media sites & whatnot is in order, and you would think that with the Internet so readily available the word would get out, but if a traveler isn't going to bother digging at least a little before visiting places for the first time - and so many apparently don't - then I just don't see how the scamming ever gets crushed. Thailand has got to want to eradicate them in its own best interests; and it just doesn't care.

Yes, only Thailand can STOP the scammers but the rest of us (travellers and TAs) can minimise the incidences of these types of scams by advising travellers before hand what to look out for. I find it hard to believe that TAs are not aware of many scams that go on in Thailand or elsewhere. This is the age of instant communication - lets use it! Find a reason to do it NOT find a reason why it cannot be done.

Yeah yeah. Fine. Go for it and be sure & let us know how it goes...

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am interested in finding a way for it to work NOT why it cannot work. But following up on your thoughts, then each and everyone of us should "boycott" the travel agents who cannot or will not give advice, tell your friends and family NOT to use the travel agency. And use social media to get the message out there about the "couldn't care less" travel agencies! The internet can be powerful if used to get meaningful, best outcomes!

There'll be the rare conscientious one who knows & shares, but in the main 'not gonna' happen. Besides, if somebody goes on vacation and gets scammed (or robbed, or cheated by a local, or whatever...), who's really going to blame the travel agent?

I was nearly rolled by a large worldwide travel agent many years ago and never went back (actually ended up doing all my own bookings, online - better accommodation and airfares for my budget) and was happy to tell all and sundry about the experience.

It's a big world, with lots of bad stuff going on in it. I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect a TA to know all about the jet-ski scam in Phuket, the secret gem shops & closed temple scams in Bangkok, the cash-exchange rip-offs in Manila, the pickpockets in Madrid, the gypsy-kid gangs in Rome, etc., etc., etc. I would agree that doing our bit to spread the word on social media sites & whatnot is in order, and you would think that with the Internet so readily available the word would get out, but if a traveler isn't going to bother digging at least a little before visiting places for the first time - and so many apparently don't - then I just don't see how the scamming ever gets crushed. Thailand has got to want to eradicate them in its own best interests; and it just doesn't care.

Yes, only Thailand can STOP the scammers but the rest of us (travellers and TAs) can minimise the incidences of these types of scams by advising travellers before hand what to look out for. I find it hard to believe that TAs are not aware of many scams that go on in Thailand or elsewhere. This is the age of instant communication - lets use it! Find a reason to do it NOT find a reason why it cannot be done.

Yeah yeah. Fine. Go for it and be sure & let us know how it goes...

Thank you for your offer of help and meaningful suggestions. I am sure the Honorary Consul will have more "luck" than your suggested course of action.

Thank you for your offer of help and meaningful suggestions. I am sure the Honorary Consul will have more "luck" than your suggested course of action.

Ah, so ok to reject out of hand someone ELSE's "meaningful suggestion" (that responsibility and means rest with Thai authorities), but YOUR "meaningful suggestion" must be embraced and respected, realistic or no. Yeah, you'll get a real crusade going with that attitude, I'm sure. Good luck; you'll need it.

Ah, so ok to reject out of hand someone ELSE's "meaningful suggestion" (that responsibility and means rest with Thai authorities), but YOUR "meaningful suggestion" must be embraced and respected, realistic or no. Yeah, you'll get a real crusade going with that attitude, I'm sure. Good luck; you'll need it.

OMG - did I or anyone else suggest or think that the responsibility and means DOES NOT rest with Thai authorities? And if they cannot succeed then are you happy to accept the status quo? Rhetorical question, I am not looking for your answer. I only suggest that maybe the rest of us can get off our butts and try to make a meaningful contribution to minimising these types of scams.

Sayonara.

As it has always been...a thorough disgrace which goes all the way to the top of the crooked authorities that manage Phuket.........

Soon the beach vendors and umbrella mafia will be back too!....

I will never go back there..........!!

I've never been there and have no intentions of going!

+1

But please, keep visiting the forum here and let us know your much valued opinion of a place you have never been to.
as you can plainly see Chris has been there and I made a statement of my own personal choice so your comment means absolutely nothing !

cheers all smile.png

Hey Prayuth! I thought you were going to get rid of police corruption and the island mafia.

This is why Thailand will continue to fall behind its competitors in Asia. It's the Mexico of Asia.

What on earth does that mean? Mexico is an incredibly dynamic country. It has the most vibrant culture of all of Latin America, and has the second largest economy in all of Latin America. They are some of the most creative and hard working people in the region. And the economy is huge. Just a little something to correct your misperceptions.

The economy of Mexico is the 14th largest in the world in nominal terms and the 10th largest by purchasing power parity, according to the IMF. Since the 1994 crisis, administrations have improved the country's macroeconomic fundamentals. Mexico was not significantly influenced by the recent 2002 South American crisis, and maintained positive, although low, rates of growth after a brief period of stagnation in 2001. However, Mexico was one of the Latin American nations most affected by the 2008 recession with its Gross Domestic Product contracting by more than 6%. Moody's (in March 2000) and Fitch IBCA (in January 2002) issued investment-grade ratings for Mexico's sovereign debt. In spite of its unprecedented macroeconomic stability, which has reduced inflation and interest rates to record lows and has increased per capita income, enormous gaps remain between the urban and the rural population, the northern and southern states, and the rich and the poor.[14] Some of the government's challenges include the upgrade of infrastructure, the modernization of the tax system and labor laws, and the reduction of income inequality.

The economy contains rapidly developing modern industrial and service sectors, with increasing private ownership. Recent administrations have expanded competition in ports, railroads, telecommunications, electricity generation, natural gas distribution and airports, with the aim of upgrading infrastructure. As an export-oriented economy, more than 90% of Mexican trade is under free trade agreements (FTAs) with more than 40 countries, including the European Union, Japan, Israel, and much of Central and South America. The most influential FTA is the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), which came into effect in 1994, and was signed in 1992 by the governments of the United States, Canada and Mexico. In 2006, trade with Mexico's two northern partners accounted for almost 90% of its exports and 55% of its imports.[15] Recently, the Congress of the Union approved important tax, pension and judicial reforms, and reform to the oil industry is currently being debated. Mexico had 16 companies in the Forbes Global 2000 list of the world's largest companies in 2008.[16]

Mexico's labor force is 78 million. The OECD and WTO both rank Mexican workers as the hardest-working in the world in terms of the amount of hours worked yearly, although profitability per man-hour remains low.

Kudos to Martin Carpenter, for telling it like it is. It is quite obvious that the jet ski industry is above the law. And perhaps more powerful than the police, the local government, and the army. At least that is how it appears. But, this is also testament to how poor the follow up work of the army is. They crack down, but nothing ever changes, as they do not follow it up. They are now too busy cracking down on happy massage shops, to follow up the jet ski scammers. It is a terrible thing to put a smile on a mans face. Are they being advised by the US govt? Pleasure is a terrible thing, and it is to be stopped at all costs!

Kudos to Martin Carpenter, for telling it like it is. It is quite obvious that the jet ski industry is above the law. And perhaps more powerful than the police, the local government, and the army. At least that is how it appears. But, this is also testament to how poor the follow up work of the army is. They crack down, but nothing ever changes, as they do not follow it up. They are now too busy cracking down on happy massage shops, to follow up the jet ski scammers. It is a terrible thing to put a smile on a mans face. Are they being advised by the US govt? Pleasure is a terrible thing, and it is to be stopped at all costs!

The Army pulled out a long time ago. Supposedly the Navy is now in charge, but not sure how many navy personnel are around to do any enforcing. Martin is partially correct in that they are doing nothing. Well they are doing something, and that's collecting huge backhanders. It sure would be interesting to see the title to who actually owns these golden jet skis.

The corruption seems to go all the way to the top.

The non dictator did some stuff early in his non dictatorship just to fool people into non resistance while taking control.

Now he is doing his stand up act while his organization and partners rob the country.

I can't prove it. But what else could be going on? He clearly is not doing what he claims to be doing.

You win the prize for the dumbest poster of the day.

Do you think all the owners are new and have taken charge since the coup ?.

Or do you think that perhaps it's the same people who were doing it under the last government ?.

Take your time.

Wait, so the guy on the beach is not directly paying the prime minister? OH, that's what i thought .. now i realize that the guy on the beach pays a guy that is in charge of the beach who in turns pays a guy who is in charge of the area, who in turn pays a guy who is in charge of the town who in turn pays the guy who is in charge of the district .. and then it goes on like this until the PM gets his cut ... Oh, i feel so stupid ..

The non dictator did some stuff early in his non dictatorship just to fool people into non resistance while taking control.

Now he is doing his stand up act while his organization and partners rob the country.

I can't prove it. But what else could be going on? He clearly is not doing what he claims to be doing.

Or do you think that perhaps it's the same people who were doing it under the last government ?.

Take your time.

Having read both posts, I'm still not sure which one is 'Dumb or Dumber'?

Yeah, i'm the dumber one for believing that the PM gets his share of the money made from corruption .. and the results: corruption is still going on

Take your time.

Having read both posts, I'm still not sure which one is 'Dumb or Dumber'?

Yeah, i'm the dumber one for believing that the PM gets his share of the money made from corruption .. and the results: corruption is still going on

Maybe the PM has bigger fish to "fry" at the moment e.g. the ex CIB Police General and his minions?

In the meantime, those who still have the opportunity before being hauled in to account for their activities, are making hay while the sun stills shine?

Such a pity that some authoritive person (an Admiral or Army General), who is not corrupt, wouldn't take the opportunity to curry favour with the NCPO by cracking down on the the Phuket scammers and "mafia"!