Border visa for Cambodia

sierra01

I'm English and I'll be in Thailand over Christmas and New Year, and I'm thinking about a 3 day 2 night visit To Angkor Wat. It would be on a proper tour from Surin, through an agent. I think I can get a visa at the border, does anyone know how much it is, what I need to get it and any problems I might run into at the border? On the return trip what length of visa would I get on the Thai side? I would do the trip very early into the New Year, beginning 2/3 January, I return to the UK leaving 8 January. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

You can get a Visa on Arrival in Cambodia, though it depends where you are entering the Kingdom, http://www.tourismcambodia.com/tripplanner/essential-information/visa-passport.htm, if you're on a tour, your tour agent should be able to help.

As to your Thailand situation, are you coming on a visa or visa free on arrival?

It really depends how long you intend staying in Thailand, if it's a regular length of stay you should be ok being stamped in on arrival and again from your side trip.

"I'm English and I'll be in Thailand over Christmas and New Year, and I'm thinking about a 3 day 2 night visit To Angkor Wat. It would be on a proper tour from Surin, through an agent. I think I can get a visa at the border, does anyone know how much it is, what I need to get it and any problems I might run into at the border? On the return trip what length of visa would I get on the Thai side? I would do the trip very early into the New Year, beginning 2/3 January, I return to the UK leaving 8 January. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. "

Chong Chom Border Crossing is 70 km south of Surin on the 214 highway is your crossing into Cambodia. A Cambodian Tourist visa is now 35 USD but at this crossing they will sting you 1500 baht which is about 43 USD. You can try a tourist company but you can take a white van from the bus station that says Chong Chom/Surin for 60 bat to the crossing, 1 hour. There are air con taxis on the Cambodia side that you can get for 1500 baht to drive you down to Siem Reap, 2 hr's. You say your British so will get a 30 day visa exempt stamp on your return at this crossing.

I noticed you said 2/3 January.. You may play heck on getting rooms at this time for a decent rate as Siem Reap high seasons puts Thailand to shame. They will be swamped and Pub Street will be rocking.

Edited by khwaibah

You can get a Visa on Arrival in Cambodia, though it depends where you are entering the Kingdom, http://www.tourismcambodia.com/tripplanner/essential-information/visa-passport.htm, if you're on a tour, your tour agent should be able to help.

As to your Thailand situation, are you coming on a visa or visa free on arrival?

It really depends how long you intend staying in Thailand, if it's a regular length of stay you should be ok being stamped in on arrival and again from your side trip.

As khwaibah says, I'll probably cross at Chong Chom. I'm coming on a visa free entry to Thailand, I arrive 17 December and leave 8 January.

"I'm English and I'll be in Thailand over Christmas and New Year, and I'm thinking about a 3 day 2 night visit To Angkor Wat. It would be on a proper tour from Surin, through an agent. I think I can get a visa at the border, does anyone know how much it is, what I need to get it and any problems I might run into at the border? On the return trip what length of visa would I get on the Thai side? I would do the trip very early into the New Year, beginning 2/3 January, I return to the UK leaving 8 January. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. "

Chong Chom Border Crossing is 70 km south of Surin on the 214 highway is your crossing into Cambodia. A Cambodian Tourist visa is now 35 USD but at this crossing they will sting you 1500 baht which is about 43 USD. You can try a tourist company but you can take a white van from the bus station that says Chong Chom/Surin for 60 bat to the crossing, 1 hour. There are air con taxis on the Cambodia side that you can get for 1500 baht to drive you down to Siem Reap, 2 hr's. You say your British so will get a 30 day visa exempt stamp on your return at this crossing.

I noticed you said 2/3 January.. You may play heck on getting rooms at this time for a decent rate as Siem Reap high seasons puts Thailand to shame. They will be swamped and Pub Street will be rocking.

The people I will be staying with in Surin, Thai, did the trip via an agent in 2012 for 3500bt each. I'll get them to ask them agent the relevant questions and see what happens. Going there is something I've only just thought about, it would be nice but its not vital. I did think about making a DIY break out of it but I remember a few years ago taking my then gf's car to Vientiane, at the border it was a real pain, every department and the local dog wanted a fee, and it took over 2 hours, and that wasn't at Christmas either.

Much depends on your budget and the standard of accommodation and transport that you want.

Siem Reap has been busy all year and, as Kwaibah says, Pub Street will be pumping over Xmas and New Year.

Availability of rooms will decrease as you get nearer to Xmas.

Going for 3,500 Baht sounds 'Thai style' - nothing wrong in that.

If you are looking at the bigger/better hotels watch out for compulsory dinners etc around New Year.

You have options as you will get 30 days on your return to Thailand.

At Osmach (Chong Chom) the Cambodians will look for 1,500 Baht for the visa. The official price is $30 and you can stand there clutching exactly $30 and say you have no Baht as you are moving on to Cambodia. You may well get away with it and without too much of a delay - I have.

I am taking a group of 10 to Siem Reap over Xmas and they told me that they want $35 per person (Thais pay a nominal 100 Baht 'admin fee' usually). If you have a Thai partner they will need at least 6 months remaining on their passport.

Just by way of information, the following is an itinerary for 3 nights and costs 5,100 Baht. That price includes all transport to/from Surin/Siem Reap, 3 nights B &B at a good 3 star hotel. Gives you a bit of an idea. Visa ($35) and Angkor Wat ($20) on top of that. I strongly recommend Phare Cambodian circus and if you are going to the Tonle Sap don't go the main boat station and don't pay a $20 tourist fee at the other locations.

24 Dec - 08.30 Leave Surin - arrive hotel by 13.00

25 Dec - Christmas dinner can be arranged individually, or as a group.

26 Dec - 09.00 Visit to Angkor Wat or Tonle Sap (optional)

27 Dec - 09.30 Depart hotel - arrive Surin approx 13.00

I went through Choam Sa Ngam / Anlong Veng border this morning - have done several times myself, but took Thai wife this time. That crossing is just as feasible as Chong Jom / O'Smach if coming from Meuang Surin; even more feasible if coming from eastern Surin province. Here's some costs.

One month (one page sticker) visa for me: 1100 baht (equivalent to $33) or $30 in US notes - no rip-offs at this border then

Pass (= small stamp in passport) for 14 days for Thai wife 100 baht

Parking for my SUV at border - looks reasonably ok under casual surveillance and is under shade - 100 baht/day. Will let y'all know if it's on bricks when I get back Friday!

Taxi to Siem Reap (ordered up for me by car park guy) - 1,700 baht for the 2hr15min 140km ride into central Siem Reap. There and back would be double - ie no discount. I did not negotiate, although last time 18 months ago was a little bit cheaper at $50. However ....

Taxi staying with us per day to drive us around Siem Reap 500 baht inclusive of namman and his own living - bargain

Taxi guy is smart and polite and drives a reasonable nick Camry with no dramas - Khmen guy, living Thai side, so speaks ok Thai as well as his fluent Khmer and Khmen plus he understands basic English. Knows Siem Reap ok, took us to Tonle Sap today and will shepherd us around temples tomorrow. Tempting to keep him the week to go to Phnom Penh (which he would willingly do), but already have flight for one leg. Great find, wife loves having informal guide who she can talk gossipy Thai to and he has brushed up my 50 words of Khmer for me on the way down. PM me for his phone number if you have a Thai speaker to set you up.

Kwaibah is right about timing - I would not recommend January/February (late Oct to mid Dec is ideal for Cambodia IMO), but will probably have to take a sister + entourage in early Feb. Not looking forward to hoards/prices. Maybe we will do a long day trip - feasible if you just do the 'big 4' wats - better idea is if you are driven back later pm, so wat touring is not too rapido, to stay in reasonably ok cheap Anlong Veng guest house (ie staying on Cambodia side - the border shuts sundown). Go back thru' border into Thailand following AM.

Edit: requirements for visa (or 14 day pass stamp for Thai passport holder) are a valid passport with 6 months clear to expiry and space left in it for a one page sticker and a couple of border stamps (so say 2 pages clear) and one passport photo - take two to be safe as I think that is the official requirement.

I recognise some if this is not relevant to OP but others are usually interested in this sort of trip to Siem Reap

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 2

I went through Choam Sa Ngam / Anlong Veng border this morning - have done several times myself, but took Thai wife this time. That crossing is just as feasible as Chong Jom / O'Smach if coming from Meuang Surin; even more feasible if coming from eastern Surin province. Here's some costs.

One month (one page sticker) visa for me: 1100 baht (equivalent to $33) or $30 in US notes - no rip-offs at this border then

Pass (= small stamp in passport) for 14 days for Thai wife 100 baht

Parking for my SUV at border - looks reasonably ok under casual surveillance and is under shade - 100 baht/day. Will let y'all know if it's on bricks when I get back Friday!

Taxi to Siem Reap (ordered up for me by car park guy) - 1,700 baht for the 2hr15min 140km ride into central Siem Reap. There and back would be double - ie no discount. I did not negotiate, although last time 18 months ago was a little bit cheaper at $50. However ....

Taxi staying with us per day to drive us around Siem Reap 500 baht inclusive of namman and his own living - bargain

Taxi guy is smart and polite and drives a reasonable nick Camry with no dramas - Khmen guy, living Thai side, so speaks ok Thai as well as his fluent Khmer and Khmen plus he understands basic English. Knows Siem Reap ok, took us to Tonle Sap today and will shepherd us around temples tomorrow. Tempting to keep him the week to go to Phnom Penh (which he would willingly do), but already have flight for one leg. Great find, wife loves having informal guide who she can talk gossipy Thai to and he has brushed up my 50 words of Khmer for me on the way down. PM me for his phone number if you have a Thai speaker to set you up.

Kwaibah is right about timing - I would not recommend January/February (late Oct to mid Dec is ideal for Cambodia IMO), but will probably have to take a sister + entourage in early Feb. Not looking forward to hoards/prices. Maybe we will do a long day trip - feasible if you just do the 'big 4' wats - better idea is if you are driven back later pm, so wat touring is not too rapido, to stay in reasonably ok cheap Anlong Veng guest house (ie staying on Cambodia side - the border shuts sundown). Go back thru' border into Thailand following AM.

Edit: requirements for visa (or 14 day pass stamp for Thai passport holder) are a valid passport with 6 months clear to expiry and space left in it for a one page sticker and a couple of border stamps (so say 2 pages clear) and one passport photo - take two to be safe as I think that is the official requirement.

I recognise some if this is not relevant to OP but others are usually interested in this sort of trip to Siem Reap

Thanks for the update on Choam Sa Ngam looking forward to your return report. Chong Chom is is only 70 km from Surin with public transport available for 60 baht where as Choam Sa Ngam is 100 km from Surin with not vey good public transport options. From the extreme eastern side of Surin Province yes it is doable. Yea we have the Cambodian Immigration slime at Chong Chom but I question the difference in money saved on the extra transport cost and time over to your crossing, Whats the deal on a car crossing over into Cambodia from Thailand at your crossing? At Chong Chom no problem. Whats the public transport like from Si Saket to your crossing.? BTW how is Pub Street ?biggrin.png Have a great time.

Edited by khwaibah

Sounds like we are in competition for the falang traveller? laugh.png I have no axes to grind - just passing on info. One of my previous postings set out the pros and cons of Choam Sa Ngam and public transport from Sisaket was not one of the pros. That's why I'm hoping that bits don't get nicked off the motor, as the ability to park-and-leave at the border (same as Chong Jom) is a big plus for me.

Pub Street moderately busy and draft Angkor still dirt cheap at even trendy bars. I'll look for a couple of ABC stouts tonight! I was lulled into a false sens of security by the almost complete absence of guests at my hotel (gone upmarket this time - wifey loves Elephant des Terasse only a literal stones throw from Pub Street) and by half power in Pub Street and Lanes. Got up lateish and arrived Angkor Thom at 10:00am. Disaster - this place is crawling with tourists - same number of westerners as before but now for every one westerner there is not one Asian tourist but twenty. Foot traffic is 10 times what it was on my prior two visits - I'm not kidding. Makes Bayon a very unpleasant experience. [The massed hoardes of the tour bus brigade obviously stay away from the Old Quarter at night].

This place is perhaps only five years away from being totally f**c**d as a sensible place to visit*. Most upsetting. Anyway more from me when i get back.

* But I guess some aged falangs on here said that 20 years ago!

post-74421-0-62417900-1416907181_thumb.j

90 bucks a night gets you a rather unusual ablutions area in your room, complete with Bayon repro waterfall (and attendant mossies). [i'm a sub 30 bucks a night kinda chap when alone!]

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 2

Sounds like we are in competition for the falang traveller? laugh.png I have no axes to grind - just passing on info. One of my previous postings set out the pros and cons of Choam Sa Ngam and public transport from Sisaket was not one of the pros. That's why I'm hoping that bits don't get nicked off the motor, as the ability to park-and-leave at the border (same as Chong Jom) is a big plus for me.

Pub Street moderately busy and draft Angkor still dirt cheap at even trendy bars. I'll look for a couple of ABC stouts tonight! I was lulled into a false sens of security by the almost complete absence of guests at my hotel (gone upmarket this time - wifey loves Elephant des Terasse only a literal stones throw from Pub Street) and by half power in Pub Street and Lanes. Got up lateish and arrived Angkor Thom at 10:00am. Disaster - this place is crawling with tourists - same number of westerners as before but now for every one westerner there is not one Asian tourist but twenty. Foot traffic is 10 times what it was on my prior two visits - I'm not kidding. Makes Bayon a very unpleasant experience. [The massed hoardes of the tour bus brigade obviously stay away from the Old Quarter at night].

This place is perhaps only five years away from being totally f**c**d as a sensible place to visit*. Most upsetting. Anyway more from me when i get back.

* But I guess some aged falangs on here said that 20 years ago!

Keep the updates coming. thumbsup.gif What is the road condition from the crossing to SR? And if you go to PP let us know what that road is like from SR to PP..

@khwaibah:

car from Thailand at Chong Chom/O'Smach border. I did it a year ago and no problem, no charge at all for my car. But there's a recent report on this forum of having to pay (from memory 2500Bt) to Cambos to take Thai car in.

I did Poipet to SR two weeks ago and the road from the O'Smach intersection to SR is fairly rough, some large potholes. But it's slightly better than it was when I drove there last year.

Road SR - PP I did last week in taxi...terrible, utterly terrible condition road. Not fun at all.

Pub St. Went there a couple evenings, no longer to my liking, it's grown and got more touristy and more pricey, I far preferred it a few years back when it was smaller and less crowded.

@khwaibah:

car from Thailand at Chong Chom/O'Smach border. I did it a year ago and no problem, no charge at all for my car. But there's a recent report on this forum of having to pay (from memory 2500Bt) to Cambos to take Thai car in.

I did Poipet to SR two weeks ago and the road from the O'Smach intersection to SR is fairly rough, some large potholes. But it's slightly better than it was when I drove there last year.

Road SR - PP I did last week in taxi...terrible, utterly terrible condition road. Not fun at all.

Pub St. Went there a couple evenings, no longer to my liking, it's grown and got more touristy and more pricey, I far preferred it a few years back when it was smaller and less crowded.

1000 baht to Thai customs. Zero to Cambodia. Know personally of 6 cars/trucks in the pass 4 weeks. To cross over at Chong Chom.

Edited by khwaibah

@khwaibah:

1000 baht to Thai customs. Zero to Cambodia. Know personally of 6 cars/trucks in the pass 4 weeks. To cross over at Chong Chom.

We are headed over in a few weeks in our own car. Sounds like a few costs there I hadn't heard of. There will be three Thai passport holders and one foreign passport holder. What are the costs I should expect?

Sounds like:

Thailand - 1000 baht to take car out?

Cambodian side - they will want 1500 baht for a visa vs the offical US price?

Anything else?

Road also sounds worse that I expected.

Will cross at o'samach for siem riep, but return siem riep to poi pet.

@khwaibah:

We are headed over in a few weeks in our own car. Sounds like a few costs there I hadn't heard of. There will be three Thai passport holders and one foreign passport holder. What are the costs I should expect?

Sounds like:

Anything else?

According to BM stevehaigh who drove his Thai registered car in at O'Smach last month, they were charged 1500Bt for Cambodian VOA and 2500Bt to get his car in.

You can read Steve's TR here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/768844-trip-report-driving-to-angkor-wat-cambodia/page-1

• Like 2

@khwaibah:

Sounds like:

Anything else?

According to BM stevehaigh who drove his Thai registered car in at O'Smach last month, they were charged 1500Bt for Cambodian VOA and 2500Bt to get his car in.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/768844-trip-report-driving-to-angkor-wat-cambodia/page-1

The 1500 for a Cambo tourist visa is standard at this crossing. The fee for car is a sliding scume fee deependiing on the IO. I have only seen a fee of 1000 baht for farang and have heard of 2500 Thai.

''The wife and Thai daugther paid 200 baht for visa but me and my daughter paid 1500 baht. then when we thought we were done paying, we got charged another 2500 baht to take the car in.''

The fee for a Thai is 100 baht each. The fee for him and farang daughter was the standard 1500 scume fee.. the visa fee was charged by the Cambodian IO. The 2500 baht for the car was charged by the Thai Customs. They saw MONEY as a family of 4 were going on holiday.

Edited by khwaibah

Sounds like:

Anything else?

The 1500 for a Cambo tourist visa is standard at this crossing. The fee for car is a sliding scume fee deependiing on the IO. I have only seen a fee of 1000 baht for farang and have heard of 2500 Thai.

''The wife and Thai daugther paid 200 baht for visa but me and my daughter paid 1500 baht. then when we thought we were done paying, we got charged another 2500 baht to take the car in.''

The fee for a Thai is 100 baht each. The fee for him and farang daughter was the standard 1500 scume fee.. the visa fee was charged by the Cambodian IO. The 2500 baht for the car was charged by the Thai Customs. They saw MONEY as a family of 4 were going on holiday.

Thanks for the info.

Just want to be totally clear that the Thai customs fee is pure scam....that there is no receipt given.

I have my ways around this if so, including a phone call which I'll offer them to make to get clearance. wink.png

My understanding is that the customs people are needed so you get the documents for the car to leave the country.

Can't do much about the cambodians I guess. But this 2500 fee on the Thai side is a new one....

Road from Choam Sa Ngam to Siem Reap is very good but I don't think you can take a car through that border (may be wrong? Will ask on way back). Road SR to Phnom Penh is part national highway/part quarry bottom/complete national disgrace. Bus takes 7.5 hours now for 320 km. It's got worse every time i have done it over 8 years and there is little evidence that Camby intends to do anything about it. Thank goodness I'm flying back.

40 years ago I drove a Landrover from London to Delhi and never saw roads like SR to PP. Clearly any Aid money or tourist dollar for infrastructure is going straight into the evil arms of the Hun Sen elite. I'm going off Cambodia as a place to visit - big time!

Road from Choam Sa Ngam to Siem Reap is very good but I don't think you can take a car through that border (may be wrong? Will ask on way back). Road SR to Phnom Penh is part national highway/part quarry bottom/complete national disgrace. Bus takes 7.5 hours now for 320 km. It's got worse every time i have done it over 8 years and there is little evidence that Camby intends to do anything about it. Thank goodness I'm flying back.

40 years ago I drove a Landrover from London to Delhi and never saw roads like SR to PP. Clearly any Aid money or tourist dollar for infrastructure is going straight into the evil arms of the Hun Sen elite. I'm going off Cambodia as a place to visit - big time!

I tried to drive in at Choam Sa Ngam last year and was refused.

Agree entirely about SR-PP road. I did it in taxi about 4 years ago and it was way better ride then than it was 2 weeks ago.

Also agree about you going off Cambodia big time. I've made several trips to various parts of Cambodia since 1994, and this last trip left me feeling that I won't be back anytime soon.

BTW: Thai wife got 14 day stamp at Poipet 2 weeks ago, totally free, nobody asked her for 100Bt. I was asked for 1200THB but I already had $USD30.

• 1 month later...

Due to it being Christmas/New Year the organised tour idea was a non starter, GF couldn't arrange it. Self drive, after reading about various problems\hassles people have experienced I decided to give that a miss as well. I hope to be going back in April, for good if everything falls into place, so I'll look into the tour option again.

On a brighter note due to the GF, her Sister, and her Mum all having a love of markets, we did visit Chong Chom market twice! Both times it was quite hot there so the under cover parking opposite the market was a godsend.