Border visa for Cambodia

@khwaibah:

car from Thailand at Chong Chom/O'Smach border. I did it a year ago and no problem, no charge at all for my car. But there's a recent report on this forum of having to pay (from memory 2500Bt) to Cambos to take Thai car in.

I did Poipet to SR two weeks ago and the road from the O'Smach intersection to SR is fairly rough, some large potholes. But it's slightly better than it was when I drove there last year.

Road SR - PP I did last week in taxi...terrible, utterly terrible condition road. Not fun at all.

Pub St. Went there a couple evenings, no longer to my liking, it's grown and got more touristy and more pricey, I far preferred it a few years back when it was smaller and less crowded.

1000 baht to Thai customs. Zero to Cambodia. Know personally of 6 cars/trucks in the pass 4 weeks. To cross over at Chong Chom.

We are headed over in a few weeks in our own car. Sounds like a few costs there I hadn't heard of. There will be three Thai passport holders and one foreign passport holder. What are the costs I should expect?

Sounds like:

Thailand - 1000 baht to take car out?

Cambodian side - they will want 1500 baht for a visa vs the offical US price?

Anything else?

Road also sounds worse that I expected.

Will cross at o'samach for siem riep, but return siem riep to poi pet.

@khwaibah:

car from Thailand at Chong Chom/O'Smach border. I did it a year ago and no problem, no charge at all for my car. But there's a recent report on this forum of having to pay (from memory 2500Bt) to Cambos to take Thai car in.

I did Poipet to SR two weeks ago and the road from the O'Smach intersection to SR is fairly rough, some large potholes. But it's slightly better than it was when I drove there last year.

Road SR - PP I did last week in taxi...terrible, utterly terrible condition road. Not fun at all.

Pub St. Went there a couple evenings, no longer to my liking, it's grown and got more touristy and more pricey, I far preferred it a few years back when it was smaller and less crowded.

1000 baht to Thai customs. Zero to Cambodia. Know personally of 6 cars/trucks in the pass 4 weeks. To cross over at Chong Chom.

We are headed over in a few weeks in our own car. Sounds like a few costs there I hadn't heard of. There will be three Thai passport holders and one foreign passport holder. What are the costs I should expect?

Sounds like:

Anything else?

According to BM stevehaigh who drove his Thai registered car in at O'Smach last month, they were charged 1500Bt for Cambodian VOA and 2500Bt to get his car in.

You can read Steve's TR here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/768844-trip-report-driving-to-angkor-wat-cambodia/page-1

• Like 2

@khwaibah:

Sounds like:

Anything else?

According to BM stevehaigh who drove his Thai registered car in at O'Smach last month, they were charged 1500Bt for Cambodian VOA and 2500Bt to get his car in.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/768844-trip-report-driving-to-angkor-wat-cambodia/page-1

The 1500 for a Cambo tourist visa is standard at this crossing. The fee for car is a sliding scume fee deependiing on the IO. I have only seen a fee of 1000 baht for farang and have heard of 2500 Thai.

''The wife and Thai daugther paid 200 baht for visa but me and my daughter paid 1500 baht. then when we thought we were done paying, we got charged another 2500 baht to take the car in.''

The fee for a Thai is 100 baht each. The fee for him and farang daughter was the standard 1500 scume fee.. the visa fee was charged by the Cambodian IO. The 2500 baht for the car was charged by the Thai Customs. They saw MONEY as a family of 4 were going on holiday.

Edited by khwaibah

Sounds like:

Anything else?

The 1500 for a Cambo tourist visa is standard at this crossing. The fee for car is a sliding scume fee deependiing on the IO. I have only seen a fee of 1000 baht for farang and have heard of 2500 Thai.

''The wife and Thai daugther paid 200 baht for visa but me and my daughter paid 1500 baht. then when we thought we were done paying, we got charged another 2500 baht to take the car in.''

The fee for a Thai is 100 baht each. The fee for him and farang daughter was the standard 1500 scume fee.. the visa fee was charged by the Cambodian IO. The 2500 baht for the car was charged by the Thai Customs. They saw MONEY as a family of 4 were going on holiday.

Thanks for the info.

Just want to be totally clear that the Thai customs fee is pure scam....that there is no receipt given.

I have my ways around this if so, including a phone call which I'll offer them to make to get clearance. wink.png

My understanding is that the customs people are needed so you get the documents for the car to leave the country.

Can't do much about the cambodians I guess. But this 2500 fee on the Thai side is a new one....

Road from Choam Sa Ngam to Siem Reap is very good but I don't think you can take a car through that border (may be wrong? Will ask on way back). Road SR to Phnom Penh is part national highway/part quarry bottom/complete national disgrace. Bus takes 7.5 hours now for 320 km. It's got worse every time i have done it over 8 years and there is little evidence that Camby intends to do anything about it. Thank goodness I'm flying back.

40 years ago I drove a Landrover from London to Delhi and never saw roads like SR to PP. Clearly any Aid money or tourist dollar for infrastructure is going straight into the evil arms of the Hun Sen elite. I'm going off Cambodia as a place to visit - big time!

Road from Choam Sa Ngam to Siem Reap is very good but I don't think you can take a car through that border (may be wrong? Will ask on way back). Road SR to Phnom Penh is part national highway/part quarry bottom/complete national disgrace. Bus takes 7.5 hours now for 320 km. It's got worse every time i have done it over 8 years and there is little evidence that Camby intends to do anything about it. Thank goodness I'm flying back.

40 years ago I drove a Landrover from London to Delhi and never saw roads like SR to PP. Clearly any Aid money or tourist dollar for infrastructure is going straight into the evil arms of the Hun Sen elite. I'm going off Cambodia as a place to visit - big time!

I tried to drive in at Choam Sa Ngam last year and was refused.

Agree entirely about SR-PP road. I did it in taxi about 4 years ago and it was way better ride then than it was 2 weeks ago.

Also agree about you going off Cambodia big time. I've made several trips to various parts of Cambodia since 1994, and this last trip left me feeling that I won't be back anytime soon.

BTW: Thai wife got 14 day stamp at Poipet 2 weeks ago, totally free, nobody asked her for 100Bt. I was asked for 1200THB but I already had $USD30.

• 1 month later...

Due to it being Christmas/New Year the organised tour idea was a non starter, GF couldn't arrange it. Self drive, after reading about various problems\hassles people have experienced I decided to give that a miss as well. I hope to be going back in April, for good if everything falls into place, so I'll look into the tour option again.

On a brighter note due to the GF, her Sister, and her Mum all having a love of markets, we did visit Chong Chom market twice! Both times it was quite hot there so the under cover parking opposite the market was a godsend.