Two more civilians arrested in connection with major bribery scam

webfact

Two more civilians arrested in connection with major bribery scam

24-11-2557-14-57-59-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Two more suspects wanted for bribery and four other charges that eight senior police officers and two civilians are facing have been arrested, Royal Thai Police commissioner spokesman said Monday.

The arrest of the two who are husband and wife, Mr Chob Chinporapa and Mrs Tiyaphan, came after the Criminal Court issued warrants for their arrest on bribery in connection with the eight accused officers now facing five charges that include lese majeste, demanding bribes, and money laundering.

Six senior police officers who included former commissioner of the Central Investigation Bureau Pol Lt-Gen Pongpat Chayaphan and his deputy Pol Maj-Gen Kowit Wongrungroj were dismissed from police services pending disciplinary action investigation, in addition to the five charges.

The spokesman said Chob Chinporapa and his wife were under the police custody and were being questioned.

One civilian suspect Mrs Sawong Mungthieng has contacted the police to turn herself in to the police, while another Mr Rerngsak Saknarongdej has escaped. Both were wanted for violating wildlife conservation law and bribery, he said.

Former Crime Suppression Division commander Pol Maj-Gen Chaitat Boonkam who was earlier transferred to the Royal Thai Police Operations Centre same as the CIB commissioner, however, was still spared from the charges as evidence remained insufficient to implicate him, the spokesman said.

But for another CSD officer Pol Lt-Col Akarawut Limrat who died falling from high ground, the spokesman confirmed the deceased officer also faced questioning in connection with the charges that eight police officers were accused.

The spokesman said Pol Lt-Col Akarawut gave very useful information to the Investigation team.

However the officer committed suicide later, may be from stress after he was engaged with the accused officers, the spokesman said.

He said he was told that the officer had tried to commit suicide three times before he jumped to his death.

Earlier circumstances surrounding his death was not explained as death certificate issued by Ratchathevi district office said he died from fractured spine bones after falling from high ground.

Meanwhile Justice Minister Gen Phaiboon Khumchaya said the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) and the Anti-Money Laundering Officer (AMLO) were closely monitoring the case as suspects were accused of money laundering.

He said it was not yet discussed if the ministry would request the case to be a special case that will allow the DSI to take over investigation from the police as the suspects were also charged with lese majeste.

However he would seek information from the Royal Thai Police commissioner whether the case should be handled by the DSI or not as it was very complicated.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/two-civilians-arrested-connection-major-bribery-scam

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-11-24

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a frustrating desire by some posters to give this story a "political" slant, I personally see it as something much more simple.

After years of corrupt indifference we now see some real action, some serious investigation with some real results. Yes it is one case but it most definitely is a start, maybe now the cynical nay sayers can take a back seat and wait to see what else transpires.

This present government may not be perfect but would any one of you prefer to go back to what we had?

I'll take my chances with this present government, on the face of it an excellent result, lets wait and see where it goes from here!

Disagree. The present government is a wolf in sheeps clothing. It could be worse than ever imagined. And no, I don't like the Shin clan..... but utter irresponsible people are making decisions they have no experience of and contributing to the financial losses this country can no longer endure..... and for personal gain, I SHALL add.

• Like 2

After years of corrupt indifference we now see some blah blah..

This present government may not be perfect but would any one of you prefer to go back to what we had?

I'll take my chances with this present government, on the face of it an excellent result, lets wait and see where it goes from here!

Smoke and mirrors. I miss the old thailand and would gladly go back. And you say you will take your chances with this government.. Opposed to what? Gonna go hold up your 3 fingers lol.

Edited by lust

Commerce post # 11

Disagree. The present government is a wolf in sheeps clothing. It could be worse than ever imagined. And no, I don't like the Shin clan..... but utter irresponsible people are making decisions they have no experience of and contributing to the financial losses this country can no longer endure..... and for personal gain, I SHALL add.

Government moves against corruption . Wrong

Government ignores corruption. Wrong.

Commerce can you will you reveal to we, the great unknowing illiterate posters on T.V.F. your grand master plan to sanitise the system here then?

Personally having been here for some 23 years + I among many others too I am sure would love to see your wisdom and theories explained and acted upon.

Perhaps a mass debate might be a good opening gambit for you so as to start things moving.

• Like 1

Commerce post # 11

Government moves against corruption . Wrong

Government ignores corruption. Wrong.

Commerce can you will you reveal to we, the great unknowing illiterate posters on T.V.F. your grand master plan to sanitise the system here then?

Personally having been here for some 23 years + I among many others too I am sure would love to see your wisdom and theories explained and acted upon.

Perhaps a mass debate might be a good opening gambit for you so as to start things moving.

Corrupt government moves against corruption...... perfect back yard.

Corrupt government ignores corruption........ perfect back yard.

I never said I have a grand master plan, Siampolee.

You also know the answer to your latter comment..... I cannot!

Has to be said - Prayuth has put his own personal safety on the line here.

He is in charge and these guys would not have been charged without him.

I hope his security is good as I'd like to see a lot more of this.

• Like 2

Commerce post # 16

A superb ''Paper Tiger '' response.

• Like 1

There is a frustrating desire by some posters to give this story a "political" slant, I personally see it as something much more simple.

After years of corrupt indifference we now see some real action, some serious investigation with some real results. Yes it is one case but it most definitely is a start, maybe now the cynical nay sayers can take a back seat and wait to see what else transpires.

Sounds like you are talking about Thailands previous government..clap2.gif

• Like 2

Commerce post # 16

A superb ''Paper Tiger '' response.

You know as well as I do that we are not permitted to answer in detail as much as we'd like to..... but thanks for debate...... THE BAIT!

No. 'We' did not 'see'. We read yet more from the ongoing propaganda from the junta. Which you 'farang', nor Thais, come to that, have NO say in.

LOL! 'We' again. Even the citizenry has NO say and NEVER DID. Which is why this country is where it's at NOW huh.png

Edited by jpeg
  • Like 1

Ding ! Another one !

.........................And no, I don't like the Shin clan..... but............................

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

The arrest, prosecution and punishing of any criminal, regardless of rank or position, is applauded by this reader.

Those that choose to qualify, minimize, justify, compare or detract are certainly free to do so.

• Like 1