Bangkok: Vendors who are unfairly pricing their food items may face legal action

webfact

Vendors who are unfairly pricing their food items may face legal action

BANGKOK, 25 November 2014 (NNT) - The Department of Internal Trade (DIT) under the Commerce Ministry has cautioned food manufacturers and vendors to not unfairly raise food prices.

According to DIT Director-General Boonyarit Kalayanamit, the DIT study into food production capital nationwide found that the costs are either on a decline or stable. For this reason, Boonyarit has warned food vendors to not take the opportunity to profiteer. Otherwise, they may be subjected to legal action ranging from a fine to a couple of months in jail.

Officials from the department would be monitoring food stalls throughout Bangkok and its suburbs everyday and would be assigned into ten different patrol teams. The department would pay special attention to food shops that had been complained by customers.

By carefully analyzing the production costs, the department concluded that prices of food ingredients are on the decline or remain stable. Even though the cost of LPG gas is on the rise, it has only raised the costs of cooking by only a few satang.

Meanwhile, the DIT has met with various food operators in line with Commerce Minister General Chatchai Sarikalya’s policy to control and stabilize food prices as a way to help ease the cost of living for Thais throughout the New Year.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-25 footer_n.gif

Price of gas has rocketed, aswell as food products which have risen to incredible prices, spurred on by inflation, and by dramatically increasing wages.

DIT obviously are not in the 'real' world of economics, and their answer is to dictate to vendors what price they should sell, in a so-called free market, is way off the mark.

• Like 2

I guess varying the the serving size is beyond the business logic of The Department of Internal Trade (DIT) under the Commerce Ministry. They seem preoccupied with the sale price, a quick trip to almost any fast food corporate site will see the concept of up-selling as a business practice.

Pricing in Thailand isn't always as simple as supply and demand setting the appropriate costs. Some areas and streets sell food for much more than other areas and this is due to the sellers setting higher prices in concert. 'If we all sell for 10 baht more than it won't effect demand.'

I'm all for free markets but this is the reality of it and many people live hand to mouth so the gov't is trying to control everyday costs for those people.

• Like 2

Pricing in Thailand isn't always as simple as supply and demand setting the appropriate costs. Some areas and streets sell food for much more than other areas and this is due to the sellers setting higher prices in concert. 'If we all sell for 10 baht more than it won't effect demand.'

I'm all for free markets but this is the reality of it and many people live hand to mouth so the gov't is trying to control everyday costs for those people.

If they care about costs, why don't they relax the investment laws so large external companies can enter the market and force the local monopoly holders to be more competitive.

• Like 1

i don't know why all vendors not just food take advantage of a perfectly good currency called the satang it would give them a new way of

altering prices in line with their costs if gas has risen by 5 satang raise prices the by the same amount no vendor should be expected to take a hit on the profit but equally so neither should the customer pay over the odds for really what is basic food

i have a feeling its just to much bother

I bet they conveniently forgot some of the "outrageous rents" and the REQUIRED BRIBES to Thai Government Officials in order to have have protection from the same Gov employes.

On the other hand, it is a free market, sometimes i really feel for the small street vendors and if their sanitary is half decent, enjoy buying from them.

• Like 1

"Officials from the department would be monitoring food stalls throughout Bangkok and its suburbs everyday"

What has this anything to do with the department of INTERNATIONAL TRADE?? facepalm.gif

they want to attract b.i.t. better international tourists.

Does this include the double and triple prices charged to unsuspecting foreigners and other tourists?

I once wanted to buy some pineapple in a bag from a street vendor. The Thais in front of me were charged 20b, and then he asked me for 40b.

I loudly asked him in Thai if he was serious about his fruit costing 40b and lo and behold, instantly (well, when other Thais looked at him) the price went down to 20b.

So let's hope this measure applies equally, if at all.

• Like 1

"Officials from the department would be monitoring food stalls throughout Bangkok and its suburbs everyday"

What has this anything to do with the department of INTERNATIONAL TRADE?? facepalm.gif

You need a visit to the opticians.

It says Department of Internal Trade which means "In Country".

• Like 1

You need a visit to the opticians.

It says Department of Internal Trade which means "In Country".

Exactly. Some people just cannot seem to read properly.

Nothing, that's why it's the Department of Internal Trade.

I think you forgot to read the article.