Bangkok: Vendors who are unfairly pricing their food items may face legal action

webfact

State control of prices, sounds like CCCP before and North Korea..... If the street vendor puts the price to high, people are still free to buy it or leave it.

This government shows more of dictatorship every day and has no clue about business and/or economy.

This general might know about bullets and guns, but that's about it.....

• Like 1

Does this include the double and triple prices charged to unsuspecting foreigners and other tourists?

I once wanted to buy some pineapple in a bag from a street vendor. The Thais in front of me were charged 20b, and then he asked me for 40b.

I loudly asked him in Thai if he was serious about his fruit costing 40b and lo and behold, instantly (well, when other Thais looked at him) the price went down to 20b.

So let's hope this measure applies equally, if at all.

I think some of the farang pricing is over the top, but i find this example acceptable.

The retailer is within his rights to offer a price, either ticketed or not, and you can accept, make a counter offer, or reject that price. This applies in any retail store you enter, from markets to Siam Paragon.

I buy pineapple from street vendors every week and, yes, 20 baht is the going rate and I have never been asked for more.

I think it helps if you can discuss it Thai style, without raising the voice. For example:

Me: sawasdee krap, sapalot tao rai krab?

Vendor: see sip baht krab

Me: Jing lor? peng gern bpai krab mai ao krab kob khun krab (with a smile smile.png )

• Like 1

This is something I just don't understand. The price, size of meal, quality of ingredients, location of the cart,

the amount of graft that has to be paid. Only the cart owner/operator can set the price for service/ product he/she sells.

If he is charging too much people will go elsewhere. coffee1.gif

Common Sense 101:

If ever you find yourself complaining about state control of prices, then you better go live in another country with democracy and free markets.

I prefer to let people decide for themselves if they should live in another country.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"How about starting with the rich landlords and landowners and forcing them to reduce their scandalously high rents"

Next week, I'm going to rent an apartment with A/C, Wifi and a kitchen for 3500B a month.

Maybe you should move?

I was talking about commercial rents not domestic ones.

Does this include the double and triple prices charged to unsuspecting foreigners and other tourists?

I once wanted to buy some pineapple in a bag from a street vendor. The Thais in front of me were charged 20b, and then he asked me for 40b.

I loudly asked him in Thai if he was serious about his fruit costing 40b and lo and behold, instantly (well, when other Thais looked at him) the price went down to 20b.

So let's hope this measure applies equally, if at all.

I think some of the farang pricing is over the top, but i find this example acceptable.

The retailer is within his rights to offer a price, either ticketed or not, and you can accept, make a counter offer, or reject that price. This applies in any retail store you enter, from markets to Siam Paragon.

I buy pineapple from street vendors every week and, yes, 20 baht is the going rate and I have never been asked for more.

I think it helps if you can discuss it Thai style, without raising the voice. For example:

Me: sawasdee krap, sapalot tao rai krab?

Vendor: see sip baht krab

Me: Jing lor? peng gern bpai krab mai ao krab kob khun krab (with a smile smile.png )

Jing lor? peng gern bpai krab mai ao krab kob khun krab[

I translated that as

"Really? My great-grandmother has the Eartha Kitts, it's come over the bowl and is running down the staircase and we're fresh out of bog rolls. Can you recommend a local apothecary that also sells large cork plugs and dettol?"

Bloody google translate! biggrin.png

• Like 1

Here again the government is micromanaging the country. Riciculous. If you want to put some competition into the street vendor business, force them to display their prices and stop the ... extorting money for the place on the sidewalk

Edited by dominique355