Phuket Airport bus to extend service to Kata 'soon'

webfact

Phuket Airport bus to extend service to Kata 'soon'
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1416971511_1-org.jpg
The buses originally had Patong, Karon and Kata as destinations but local taxi drivers threatened violence. Phuket News file photo

PHUKET: -- The Phuket Provincial Land Transportation Office (PLTO) is expected to give its blessing soon for an extension of the current airport-Patong bus service to Karon and Kata.

Prakob Panyawai, owner of Phuket Airport Bus Express, told The Phuket News yesterday (November 25), “We are still serving people as per the time schedule. I have been talking with the PLTO about extending the service to Karon and Kata.

“If it is approved the route from Phuket Airport to Patong would still be the same and we would go on from there to the final bus stop outside Karon Municipality [in Kata].

“I still have to discuss [with the PLTO] about stops along the way.

“Our plan is to add four minibuses to the system. We will try it out for three months and see what passenger numbers and revenue look like.”

Addressing comments about the bus service not using a bus, but minibuses instead, he explained, “As everyone knows well, bus maintenance is more expensive than van maintenance. So if there are not many passengers [at the scheduled departure time] we transfer passengers from the bus to a van in order to cut costs.”

Jaturong Kaewkasi, chief of the PLTO, told The Phuket News, “We will consider this soon. It would really good for Phuket.” He added that the PLTO has to give careful consideration to the fare it approves for the extended route.

“We have to find a balance between the interests of the passengers and the bus company. It has to be good for both sides.”

When Phuket Airport Bus Express was launched, its buses had “Patong Beach, Karon Beach, Kata Beach” painted on the side.

But taxi drivers in Karon and Kata warned of violence if the buses invaded “their” territory. The last two destinations were painted over.

However, since the crackdown on taxi “mafia” activity following the Army coup, and the arrests of many of those involved, the threats have evaporated, allowing the bus company to look at the planned extension.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-airport-bus-to-extend-service-to-kata-%E2%80%98soon%E2%80%99-49821.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-11-26

• Like 1

I really do hope this all works out . I was in Phuket at the time of the bus " attack" . The taxi and tuc tuc drivers there are the biggest group of thugs I've ever known. How on earth the local authorities let this go on for 20 years I don't know. ( or maybe I do!). Where the tuc tucs used to stop in front of the Kata Beach resort, bottles and cans of beer were piled up high, and it was easy to get a " whiff" of what was going on when walking past. Seeing as they were driving tourists over dangerous Kata/ Karon Hill in this state , I don't think anyone can call Phuket " safe". One afternoon I called a taxi from near a first class hotel, he turned up drunk, needless to say I didn't get in. A second time , direction Patong from Kata, I realised a little late that my driver was not in very good condition. I kept my calm as I didn't want to worsen the situation. I was lucky. The third time, going into Patong, the driver nearly pushed me out of the car refusing to take me any further, I wanted to go to Baanzan market, as there was too much traffic. Ok, so now I don't go to Phuket anymore, but I miss my friends there a lot. Such a shame for a lovely island .