Out-of-work beach operators deliver plea to Phuket Gov

webfact

Out-of-work beach operators deliver plea to Phuket Gov
Saran Mitrarat

1416975964_1.jpg
Karon Beach vendors' leader speaks with Gov Nisit at Provincial Hall.

PHUKET: -- More than 100 beach vendors from Karon met Phuket Governor Nisit Jansomwong to hand him a letter, headed “For half a year we have had no income.”

Their leader, Palat Jantarasopin, head of the Tourism Service Operators Club, explained, “We met former Governor Maitri Inthusut [three months ago], but we have not yet met Gov Nisit. We wanted to hand him a copy of the same letter we gave to Gov Maitri so that he understands our problems and needs.”

“It has been almost six months since we lost our jobs [due to the Army-mandated clean-up of Phuket’s beaches], but our monthly bills, car payment, mortgages and our children’s education costs remain the same,” he added.

Gov Nisit accepted the letter and committed himself to finding the best solution for all of the island’s beach vendors as soon as possible.

Manus Yenjit, a beach chair operator, told The Phuket News, “In the past, we cooperated fully with local officials in order to arrange our beach chairs properly, and I think our management was the best of any beach in Phuket.

“If officials want to ask us to explain what good management of beach chairs involves, we are happy to them them. I hope this will be the final solution for us all living together,” he said.

“It’s already high season in Phuket. I think officials should made a clear decision whether or not beach chairs operators can work in our zone,” he added.

The Phuket News has learned that just two days before the beach operators went ot meet the governor, summonses were issued by Karon Police to 114 former beach operators to answer charges of public area encroachment.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/out-of-work-beach-operators-deliver-plea-to-phuket-gov-49824.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-11-26

Aren't they barking up the wrong tree? Isn't it the NCPO that cleaned up the beaches that need to give approval to allow law breakers and non rent payers to go back to their easy jobs of collecting cash on the Monarch's beaches?

Edit: as a further thought, why haven't they pursued getting a legit job over the past 6 months? Plenty of people hiring, so I have no sympathy for layabouts wanting a handout.

Edited by steelepulse

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<deleted> them.

They knew they were against the Law.

They continued to trade.

As everyone did back then.

Don't come crying now that 'Rule of Law' has been enforced.

"but our monthly bills, car payment, mortgages and our children’s education costs remain the same" ... and the 'legal' guys don't have the same costs.

<deleted> bleeding hearts.

And on top of being illegal (no respect for basic laws and knowing it) they pay no taxes, but expect everybody to hand feed them.

Time to face the realities of capitalism - time for them to move on.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

For those of you that dismiss them because theur businesses were "agains the law"
I would ask you to define Law.

If the police do enforce it, the city sanctions it and the community benefits from it, all in broad day light for year after year- is that really a functioning law?

What's the difference between that and any archaic law from bygone eras that is still technically on the books, but entirely unenforced and forgotten?

Laws are meant to protect people, not persecute them.

Edited by BeforeTigers
  • Like 1

Here's an idea: petition government to crackdown on illegal Burmese workers, such as 3000 said to be on Koh Tao. I know cops might have to "bite the bullet" and lose all those informal "work visas" payments they collect each month, but plenty of vacancies of jobs in those "legal" businesses should be available to them. Might even have a hard time filling positions, which could result in actually paying a living wage.

For those of you that dismiss them because theur businesses were "agains the law"

If the police do enforce it, the city sanctions it and the community benefits from it, all in broad day light for year after year- is that really a functioning law?

What's the difference between that and any archaic law from bygone eras that is still technically on the books, but entirely unenforced and forgotten?

Like people that want to use a PUBLIC beach from stand over merchants.....

Makes you wonder what goes through their tiny minds. As for the police issuing summonses did they hand any out to the corrupt officials that were renting the beach to these illegal vendors.

Cars, mortgages and expensive education ... they must have been raking it in. As many have said here; this is easy money that prevents them from getting a proper job and one that doesn't involve breaking the law.

The issue is that they won't be able to cover their monthly expenses... sure if business actually complied with the law and paid minimum wage it might be different. I know of a Thai girl who didn't like working for the foreigner in his restaurant - basically it meant following his rules. She was paid the full 9,000 a month plus tips. Now she works in another restaurant owned by Thais and moans she only get 4,500 a month.

I fail to see how anyone can show any sympathy for these people ... stupid and lazy only scratches the surface.

HA...HA...HA...!

Karma finally come's back to them.

Now they can't extort...fleece...threaten, the "farang's" who come to ENJOY their vacation's.

Six month's and didn't even look for work.....that say's it all.

Edited by Alan653

thats fine as long as they behave in a reasonable way, once they abuse the privalege the law is enforced sometimes hard, behave and everyone is happy.

What started as a few tables and chairs end up taking up great swathes of prime beach,get them off and keep them off.

Plenty of work....harvesting Rice

Not true, no one wants to pay the minimum 300 Baht per day since the price of rice is held down to about 10 Baht per Kilo. As a consequence day workers are out of work. Unless the government lifts the price ceiling this will continue.

I would like to see a few Farangs work out in the fields for 9-10 hours under an unrelating sun for 300 Baht a day. I would also like to see them harvesting at least 50 kilos of rice. Remember it isn't just the rice cutting that costs you have to add in all the other inputs. Raising the seedlings. cost of seed rice, fuel, fertilizer, pesticides, threshing etc etc etc

It might be more realistic to have a target of 100 kilos per day or 10 kilos an hour.

Anyone with large enough fields is going for mechanisation. This happened a couple of generations ago in the west. Rural employment fell drastically as a result from about 40% in 1880 to about 1% now. At some time Thailand will see a similar shift.

• Like 1

Makes you wonder what goes through their tiny minds. As for the police issuing summonses did they hand any out to the corrupt officials that were renting the beach to these illegal vendors.

Cars, mortgages and expensive education ... they must have been raking it in. As many have said here; this is easy money that prevents them from getting a proper job and one that doesn't involve breaking the law.

The issue is that they won't be able to cover their monthly expenses... sure if business actually complied with the law and paid minimum wage it might be different. I know of a Thai girl who didn't like working for the foreigner in his restaurant - basically it meant following his rules. She was paid the full 9,000 a month plus tips. Now she works in another restaurant owned by Thais and moans she only get 4,500 a month.

I fail to see how anyone can show any sympathy for these people ... stupid and lazy only scratches the surface.

As a matter of fact they did crack down on corrupt officials and the local extortionate gang of tuk tuk clowns and beach chair rental people. The mayor of Kata Karon was arrested twice on many different charges, while beach chair people were also charged with various offenses, and around 100 Karon tuk tuk drivers were also arrested................. But alas, 5 months later and all is trying to creep back to the way it was before the Army decided that the beach was the property of the monarchy, and not the local thugs.

Edited by steelepulse

Unfortunately the law is the law!

As someone posted previously they really can't complain because the law is now being enforced.

Unfortunately this is yet another example (and I'm not Thai bashing) of the attitude "Well I know it is illegal, it has always been illegal, but now that I have apologized and explained how much I am suffering, can I keep doing it?"

Improved education and continued targeting of the "Big End of Town" so that examples are set, so that the general population see's that illegal behavior is ​unacceptable to all, maybe once that can be shown consistently over an extended period then we shall see some social progress!

quote..."“If officials want to ask us to explain what good management of beach chairs involves, we are happy to"..unquote

So what is and does "good management of beach chairs"... entail...?? I am puzzled...it sounds like a science

(Hey you with the long arms...you go over there.....Hey you with the stripey colours you go over there)...??

Best thing this mob could do after sitting on their &lt;deleted&gt; for the last 6 months is look for another job.....perhaps learn the Russian, English, Chinese languages (books are available to do so and cheap) then make themselves aware and knowledgable about Thailands history (particularly Phuket's).....and set themselves up as bilingual or multi lingual tour guides...

Isn't it the Thais in Phuket constantly bitching and grizzling about foreign tour guides taking their jobs...!!! (and at the same time can't string three words of a foreign language together)

Karma...ooohhh karma....

The beach belongs to the monarchy who graciously allow the people of this world to relax and enjoy it....without the mongrel, price ripping, mafia control as seen in the past

Plenty of work....harvesting Rice

Not true, no one wants to pay the minimum 300 Baht per day since the price of rice is held down to about 10 Baht per Kilo. As a consequence day workers are out of work. Unless the government lifts the price ceiling this will continue.

I would like to see a few Farangs work out in the fields for 9-10 hours under an unrelating sun for 300 Baht a day. I would also like to see them harvesting at least 50 kilos of rice. Remember it isn't just the rice cutting that costs you have to add in all the other inputs. Raising the seedlings. cost of seed rice, fuel, fertilizer, pesticides, threshing etc etc etc

It might be more realistic to have a target of 100 kilos per day or 10 kilos an hour.

Anyone with large enough fields is going for mechanisation. This happened a couple of generations ago in the west. Rural employment fell drastically as a result from about 40% in 1880 to about 1% now. At some time Thailand will see a similar shift.

Is the minimum wage of 300 baht per day enforced. Wife's sister and about 20 neighbors, work in rice field for 200 baht a day plus meal. Work from about 8 am till 4:30 pm. I buy our rice from a local mill. As of 2 days ago, price for 45 kilo was 850 baht, same price in September. Last April, price was 1000 baht. We live about 10 km south of Surin.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<snip>

How wrong can you be. The police does not enforce it, the city does not sanction it, and the community does not benefit from it.

A very few high city officials take illegal fees and pocket the money for their own benefit. Some money is spun off to keep the police happy. And the public community gets nothing from the money made, no taxes, no fees, no nothing paid into the official public coffers.

That is precisely what I meant by the police and city giving it the go ahead.
Now go tell the people that are out of work because of the bait and switch that they didnt benefit from it.
Assuming that the economy doesnt benefit because sales are under the table is too narrow a view.

Pro tip;
It isnt necessary to to like a bitch just because you disagree with someone's opinion.
How wrong could you be.

Edited by BeforeTigers

Like people that want to use a PUBLIC beach from stand over merchants.....

I totally agree. They should not have been there.
I'm just saying it's unfair to set up a system that condones this form of income for people and then abruptly leave them unemployed because you changed your mind.

We do not live in a black and white world.

I posed a question in my remark that you've ignored.

Definition of Law:

The system of rules which a particular country or community recognizes as regulating the actions of its members and which it may enforce by the imposition of penalties. Sure the law is their to protect people but also prosecute them. Did you use the correct word or just spelt the right word incorrectly, as they are certainly not being persecuted.

Their business itself was not unlawful, it was their encroachment upon public lands that was the offense. Yes, they have been operating there for sometime so does that excuse them from the law that is current but unfortunately not enforced by the previous local officials for reasons known by many? If, as others suggest, that they had to pay for the privilege of encroaching on public land then it is from those people that they should seek compensation.

If they pretend they did not know the law, they certainly do now, yet they present a letter to officials seeking permission to continue to act unlawfully. What is it that they do not understand about, "thou shall not encroach on public lands?" They then remain out of work for six months without making representations. Must have a good cache to continue to meet their commitments considering it has taken this long to meet with officials. Should have got off their backsides before this and sought other employment until it can be worked out with the officials if they can operate within close proximity to the beach.

Edited by Si Thea01
  • Like 1