Out-of-work beach operators deliver plea to Phuket Gov

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

For those of you that dismiss them because theur businesses were "agains the law"

I would ask you to define Law.

If the police do enforce it, the city sanctions it and the community benefits from it, all in broad day light for year after year- is that really a functioning law?

What's the difference between that and any archaic law from bygone eras that is still technically on the books, but entirely unenforced and forgotten?

Laws are meant to protect people, not persecute them.

Like people that want to use a PUBLIC beach from stand over merchants.....

I totally agree. They should not have been there.

I'm just saying it's unfair to set up a system that condones this form of income for people and then abruptly leave them unemployed because you changed your mind.

We do not live in a black and white world.

I posed a question in my remark that you've ignored.

To answer your question (I hope), they knew they were doing wrong, they knew they were paying bribes to facilitate it. The fact that it caught up with them eventually should be no surprise, as the CIB chief just found out. Doing something which is wrong for years does not make it right! Consequences are something that seem to shock Thais, but it is things like this that needs to be bought home to the general population in order for the country to go forward in so many ways.

These people were nothing more than stand over merchants, thugs, who thought because they were paying money, illegally, they were above the law. I have no sympathy whatsoever.

However having said that, I see no reason why they can't set up stalls at beach enterances and rent their chairs and umbrellas out for the day to people who want them, just stay off the beach itself, it belongs to the public.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

For those of you that dismiss them because theur businesses were "agains the law"

I would ask you to define Law.

If the police do enforce it, the city sanctions it and the community benefits from it, all in broad day light for year after year- is that really a functioning law?

What's the difference between that and any archaic law from bygone eras that is still technically on the books, but entirely unenforced and forgotten?

Laws are meant to protect people, not persecute them.

Like people that want to use a PUBLIC beach from stand over merchants.....

I'm just saying it's unfair to set up a system that condones this form of income for people and then abruptly leave them unemployed because you changed your mind.

To answer your question (I hope), they knew they were doing wrong, they knew they were paying bribes to facilitate it. The fact that it caught up with them eventually should be no surprise, as the CIB chief just found out. Doing something which is wrong for years does not make it right! Consequences are something that seem to shock Thais, but it is things like this that needs to be bought home to the general population in order for the country to go forward in so many ways.

These people were nothing more than stand over merchants, thugs, who thought because they were paying money, illegally, they were above the law. I have no sympathy whatsoever.

However having said that, I see no reason why they can't set up stalls at beach enterances and rent their chairs and umbrellas out for the day to people who want them, just stay off the beach itself, it belongs to the public.

Now that would depend on who owns the land they set up their stalls on. On public land, as is happening in Patong with all the vehicles for rent taking up all the parking space on beach road, should not be allowed as well.

Now that would depend on who owns the land they set up their stalls on. On public land, as is happening in Patong with all the vehicles for rent taking up all the parking space on beach road, should not be allowed as well.

Totally agree, they can rent a shop or stall somewhere close I would imagine, probably cheaper than the bribes. They could pass on the savings to the consumer then too cheesy.gif