Special :hill-tribe Kids Get The Chance To Enter Violin Wonderland

gerry1011

A new educational project will take place soon in Chiangrai, Maechan and Insii Thai House:

"The Chiangrai Youth and Hill Tribes' Violin Project".

During two months, Geertje Podevyn (Khun Gerty), a professional violinist from Belgium will share her knowledge with Thai children.

The project will also introduce for the very first time the violin at the Hill Tribes School of Maechan (Rongrian Suksa Song Kraw Maechan).

If you would like to know more about this project, please visit www.insiithaihouse.tk ("Events" / "Next Event").

Every project we did with the Maechan Hill Tribes School has been rewarded by lots of happiness.

These kids have countless capabilities but ,unfortunatelly, very few opportunities.

A concert will be held at the end of the project, on August 20th, at Insii Thai House.

We will also offer the opportunity to two kids to go to Belgium to continue the training. These trips abroad are usually reserved for the richer families, but with this project we hope to discover "juwels" among the hill tribes kids too.

We will regularly update the website to give you the opportunity to follow the project.

These kids have countless capabilities but ,unfortunatelly, very few opportunities.

A concert will be held at the end of the project, on August 20th, at Insii Thai House.

The good thing is that their network isn't count-less.

A great initiative Gerry1011!

Violins and piano's are mushrooming nowadays in Chiang Rai. As far as I know the town counts already three music schools.

Suddenly it is 'bon ton' to put a violin under your childs chin and order it to put the saw in it.

And a good financial position of the parents is not always a guarantee for talent, as some of us had the discutable pleasure to wittness.

But no joke: As we noticed at the occasion of the violin concert organized at Mae Fah Luang University by the Alliance Francaise of Chiang Rai, some of our young violin players show a lot of potential.

But this time talent, and talent alone, will be the starting point.

And to enable two children from ethnic minorities to go to Belgium to study violin is unique.

Khun Gerty and Gerry1011, with all respect, good luck!

Limbo :o

The good thing is that their network isn't count-less.

A great initiative Gerry1011!

Violins and piano's are mushrooming nowadays in Chiang Rai. As far as I know the town counts already three music schools.

Suddenly it is 'bon ton' to put a violin under your childs chin and order it to put the saw in it.

And a good financial position of the parents is not always a guarantee for talent, as some of us had the discutable pleasure to wittness.

But no joke: As we noticed at the occasion of the violin concert organized at Mae Fah Luang University by the Alliance Francaise of Chiang Rai, some of our young violin players show a lot of potential.

But this time talent, and talent alone, will be the starting point.

And to enable two children from ethnic minorities to go to Belgium to study violin is unique.

Khun Gerty and Gerry1011, with all respect, good luck!

Hey, I always fancied myself as a fiddler, er is that the same as a violinist?

Seriously though, well done to Gerry1011 and all involved, for helping these kids and we will look forward to hear them play in August.

http://sueaston.com/sorrow11.ram

is a little bit of music i like.

I'm glad that two individuals will have an opportunity to study in Europe. I am a bit concerned that it might be one more small influence to encourage the youth to reject their native culture in favor of western ways....oh well....I guess to take advantage of one opporturnity one must pass by another...such is life.

Chownah

I'm glad that two individuals will have an opportunity to study in Europe. I am a bit concerned that it might be one more small influence to encourage the youth to reject their native culture in favor of western ways....oh well....I guess to take advantage of one opporturnity one must pass by another...such is life.

Chownah

Hi Chownah, welcome back!

It's obvious, that observing and participating in the Belgium way of life will enrich their own thinking about life in general.

But they will cope with their impressions and experiences against the background of their own cultural identity.

I think more in terms of 'adding' than 'replacing'; Their world will become bigger.

When I think about myself now living in Thailand for many years I might say that I probably became less 'typical Dutch' (whatever that could be).

I adapted necessarily to several aspects of the Thai life style.

I learned a lot and I still learn.

To say it with other words: I don't walk on wooden shoes anymore, but I still like pickled herring.

PS: Don't worry: These kids won't go to Belgium to change the mindset of the Belgians either.

I wasn't meaning that the two youth selected to go abroad would be in danger of loosing their cultural identity (although that is a concern)...I was more considering what the overall program would do in regards to the mountain people's cultural views in general. Teaching the children to play the western violin and then rewarding two with something that is beyond even the dreams of many might/could/will have the effect of showing the "supremacy" of western culture and the "deficiency" of the hilltribe culture. (I want to be clear here that I do not consider western culture to be "supreme" nor do I consider hilltribe culture to be "deficient". I'm using these terms to indicate possible perceptions that might arrise in the members of the hilltribe community....which I think are false impressions. I'm adding this little aside because my experience has shown that someone is likely to read what I have posted and get the wrong impression of my views.) I'm very happiy that two youths will have a chance to travel to Europe and study there....I am definitely not against this and think that it is wonderful.....I just think that there might be a downside to this. I am not trying to say that what is going to happen is a bad thing.....perhaps if the cultural ramifications are understood then the program could be designed to avoid some of the pitfalls. There is a Thai style violin which is played while being held vertically. Perhaps some local Thai style fiddlers could be hired to play at the event as a cultural interest aspect. Perhaps the students could learn to use both Thai and western style violins in their studies and they should audition with both. I don't know if my ideas are good or not.....I'm just trying to show some type of thing or some type of thinking that might present the two cultures as equals rather than to show the community how its members will be rewarded by pursuing something that is totally alien to their culture.

Chownah

I'm just trying to show some type of thing or some type of thinking that might present the two cultures as equals rather than to show the community how its members will be rewarded by pursuing something that is totally alien to their culture.

Chownah

An overwhelming majority of the students of the Rongrian Suksa Song Kraw of Maechan are children of the hill tribes (as ethnic minorities mostly are called in the North). Many are orphans.

The Thai stringed instruments salou and sung will be just as 'alien to their culture' as western stringed instruments like guitar and violin.

I am sure though that they learn about Thai culture/music at school.

If you want to present the two cultures as equal, the kids should have an equal chance to acknowledge themselves with western culture/music.

If these kids go far it will not only benefit themselves but also the emancipation of the ethnic minorities in general.

"I'm very happy that two youths will have a chance to travel to Europe and study there....",

you wrote and I can't agree more!

Perhaps my suggestion for using the folk violin is not the best although I do think that the western violin is much more alien to these children than the folk violin....but I could be wrong on this....folk violins are a lot cheaper than western violins and for a fraction of the cost of this program they could equip a multitude of mountain people with instruments....I can just image it...the hills are alive with the sound of music!!!! (this is a joke...a reference to a popular American musical theatrical production) Perhaps the children should be taught some of their own tribal songs on the violin....or perhaps the sponsors should foot the additional bill and find two westerners who would like to come and experience some tribal culture here in exchange....seems like there would be lots of people wanting to do this......or perhaps you have some ideas on how respect and interest could be shown in regards to native cultures....I'm sure that there are ways to do this.....or not.

Chownah

Thank you muchly, Chownah - you expressed well what I thought but felt lazy to get out.

Last Lahu New Years, I kept getting asked to join in the dancing. I used to dance - an aunt was a famous ballerina, my mother is a renowned harpist, I like music - but this rhythm was deceptively simple-seeming while indeed quite complex. I would surely have created much hilarity!

I think the dncing helps the dancers to get in harmony with each other and the complex repetitions of their daily and yearly lives. Folk culture is not low-brow.

Perhaps assuming "cultural" (or any other kind of) superiority is.

Thank you muchly, Chownah - you expressed well what I thought but felt lazy to get out.

Last Lahu New Years, I kept getting asked to join in the dancing. I used to dance - an aunt was a famous ballerina, my mother is a renowned harpist, I like music - but this rhythm was deceptively simple-seeming while indeed quite complex. I would surely have created much hilarity!

I think the dncing helps the dancers to get in harmony with each other and the complex repetitions of their daily and yearly lives. Folk culture is not low-brow.

There is an effort by some hill tribe youth to become reacquainted with their traditional culture. They are hoping to get the remaining elders to teach them the traditional stories - how to play traditional instruments and as JB has mentioned - the dancing. Too much has already been lost and the elders are getting older and older.

:o Mymechew

Joel says: I used to dance an aunt was a famous ballerina, my mother is a renowned harpist. :o

Violins, orphans, tribal youth, ballerinas, and harpist,s :D

I hope those kids can do what THEY want in the weekends :D

I think the dancing helps the dancers to get in harmony with each other and the complex repetitions of their daily and yearly lives. Folk culture is not low-brow.

You are absolutely right. Cultural activities are originally an integrated part of social life.

Nowadays 'classical' Thai or mountain peoples dances are often performed on markets, fairs and bazaars, isolated from their natural environment and 'function'. They seem to be reduced to folklore, even to tourist attractions, but still kept their inherent value.

Compair it with Chinese acrobatics, which made it from dusty markets and fairs on the Chinese countryside to the biggest theaters worldwide.

Sometimes however cultural manifestations are so refined that they survive the disconnection from their socially defined origine. A cross-cultural acknowledged and 'eternal' beauty guards them from the ravages of time! Than we start to call them 'works of art'.

Centuries old paintings in historical or art museums, centuries old music in concert halls.

The same counts for literature, poetry, theater and lately photo's and films.

Together these are our worlds cultural heritage.

They belong to all of us, including the children of this school in Maechan!

Having seen the engagement, the concentration, the joy and the pride on the faces of the children who were working at the Insii Thai House together with the French sculptor Paul Beckrich, I have no doubt that Khun Gerty will enable her pupils to harvest the same happiness.

And there has yet been no cultural event at Insii Thai House, where the magnificent dancing groups of different ethnicities of this school didn't have the opportunity to perform.

Just be there the 20th of August and see for yourself!

The onslaught of Western (and of course mainstream Thai) culture is there regardless of violin projects or not. I have to say I think this sounds like a generally positive project.

It will hopefully also have the effect of teaching the Westerners involved a bit more about the hill tribes and their cultures, too. Artists are generally curious people, and I am sure Khun Gerty will make an effort to learn about hill tribe cultures and knowledge in the process as well.

Just like Khun Chownah, I am also sorry to see that the world seems to become more and more mainstreamed, and that small languages and cultures die out quickly, but surely there are other aspects threatening indigenous cultures that are a lot worse than this?

Thank you all for your comments.

Bringing violin to a hill tribes school might not be 100% "natural", indeed.

But in a world which is evolving fast, it can be seen as the "good side of globalisation".

What is to be remembered from projects like this one is the wonderful cultural exchange.

The kids are happy and learn something new.

The foreign artist-teacher is equally happy and gains a great life experience.

Both sides learn from eachother.

As I usually say, the most important is that these projects open windows on the world to the kids. They are eager to learn something that nobody would teach them otherwise.

We organised a mini-concert at the school to introduce the violin to the kids.

103, who wanted to learn, wrote their names on the list for the selection!

By providing an opportunity to go to Europe, it is not a window that we open, it is the door.

In this particular project, the violin itself is not the most important. What is important is the open door... and the happiness of the kids.

Perhaps my suggestion for using the folk violin is not the best although I do think that the western violin is much more alien to these children than the folk violin....but I could be wrong on this....folk violins are a lot cheaper than western violins and for a fraction of the cost of this program they could equip a multitude of mountain people with instruments....I can just image it...the hills are alive with the sound of music!!!! (this is a joke...a reference to a popular American musical theatrical production) Perhaps the children should be taught some of their own tribal songs on the violin....or perhaps the sponsors should foot the additional bill and find two westerners who would like to come and experience some tribal culture here in exchange....seems like there would be lots of people wanting to do this......or perhaps you have some ideas on how respect and interest could be shown in regards to native cultures....I'm sure that there are ways to do this.....or not.

Chownah

You are certainly right that for a fraction of the cost of this project we could do... many other things.

But, there is one ingredient that is present in every event at Insii Thai House: The Cultural Exchange with an artist coming from abroad.

This is, of course, a personal choice motivated by the fact that providing local instruments to mountain people (your example) is something that can already be achieved by many people in the Chiangrai community... with a bit of goodwill (and some $).

Supporting the local culture and providing the means to do it is, in my opinion, the responsibility of the local community. Especially when the budget is low.

On my side, I prefer to create, or help create, new opportunities not yet accessible to the kids.

A lot more can be done, of course...

By the way, the school (suksa song kraw) has a music class where they teach all kinds of local instruments. See http://maechan.atspace.com , in the "our schools" section.

• 3 weeks later...

One more update...

Belgian violinist Geertje Podevyn has arrived and started to teach the children.

Till the end of August, she teaches in Chiangrai (at the Youth Violin Club of Chiangrai) 4 days a week.

Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays she is at Insii Thai House, in Maechan, to teach the hill tribes students.

At the beginning we thought two days a week would be good in Maechan, but the students already asked for more courses, so we added Wednesday to their schedule.

You can see pictures on the new website of Insii Thai House; www.insiithaihouse.com

End of August the 22 hill tribes students and around 40 students of Chiangrai will perform a concert at the house. Invitations will be sent early August.

Our friends are welcome to visit us and the students, of course.

Be welcome.

• 4 weeks later...

post-6305-1154701347.jpg post-6305-1154700423.jpg post-6305-1154701463.jpg

Belgian violinist Geertje Podevyn with the students of the Suksa Song Kraw school of Maechan.

Sometimes some pictures say more than a thousand words ....

Edited by Limbo

Besides teaching young violinists of the Chiang Rai Youth Violin Orchestra under Ajarn Paramet, Belgian violinist Geertje Podevyn has been offered a chance by Count Gerald van der Straten Ponthoz to introduce the violin to hill-tribe children.

A total of 23 students at Maechan's Suksa Songkroh School have been selected for this special programme. Podevyn is spending two months to teach these students a new violin method of her own.

In order to help young Thais to play violin, Podevyn has decided to develop a new approach, called Violin Wonderland.

It is based on the perfect fifth, the interval of the strings of the violin, and refers to the old Flemish music from the medieval period. It is also based on the interval of the Thai violin, the sau duang (two-string violin).

The sound that the young beginner makes on the violin is very close to the original Thai music and the Flemish medieval music from de Machaut and Orlando di Lasso.

Violin Wonderland is like the Suzuki method, which comes without written music but is based on feelings, the right movement, emotion and good food.

As Thailand is full of emotion, friendship, family life, patience, beautiful Thai songs and excellent food, Podevyn felt that the children needed another approach different from the Japanese northern style: more emotion from Southeast Asia.

Violin Wonderland combines the excellent views of the 19th-century Belgian violin master Charles de Beriot on playing the instrument, together with Podevyn's experiences in South East Asia, South America, Africa and Belgium.

Charles de Beriot was the teacher of Vieuxtemps and Eugene Ysaye, founder of the Queen Elizabeth competition. Ysaye's Belgian style is highly respected in New York at Julliard School, especially by famous violinists such as Itzhak Perlman, Shlomo Mintz and recently Hilary Hahn. Vieuxtemps was also a teacher of Wieniawski, founder of the Russian violin school. So this all happened in the little country of Belgium.

The Maechan children are the first to fully experience Violin Wonderland, as they have never heard classical violin music but already know a lot of Thai music.

The method's first songs are quite close to their own school's songs, such as "Khang Khao Kin Kluey", "Kit Tung" or "ABC".

They first learn to play pizzicato, which is plucking the strings.

They start with the bow later.

The violin strings are like a family: "G" for grandfather, "D" for Daddy, "A" for Mama and "E" for baby

After a visit at the music class of the school, it was decided that Podevyn would give her lessons at Insii Thai House, the residence of Count Gerald and Khun Weerapong Boonklieng, close to Maechan.

The place is well known among the local residents for hosting art exhibitions and other exclusive charity events.

The traditional Thai-style environment of the property is ideal for concentration and playing violin.

Podevyn is now teaching at Insii Thai House three days a week, each time lasting three hours. The students are eager to learn and their progress is very fast.

After only two weeks, they can already play with three fingers on all strings and more than 16 different songs, even in canon.

The children are dynamic - they play violin, eat good food and also laugh a lot.

Podevyn can speak Thai dek dek style and can make a lot of talok (jokes) with them.

Now Podevyn will start to make good Belgian cookies called Vlamingske (like me) to encourage the kids to make a nice and sweet Belgian sound.

Excellent Belgian chocolate will also be introduced, but only when the sound of those 23 violins is really excellent.

Of course, this kind of project could not be done without a lot of support. Without Count Gerald, the school director, Ajarn Paramet, Ajarn Anurak and the Rotary Club, it would have been far more difficult for Podevyn to offer her time and devotion to the students. They received their own violin each, and the best ones will be able to continue to learn in Chiang Rai.

These children have countless capabilities but so few opportunities.

Their progress is excellent and soon they will make their first presentation of Violin Wonderland to the Rotary Club of Maechan and later at their school, in the presence of more than 200 other students.

But the big concert is set for August 20. A total of 23 Maechan students will play with 40 Chiang Rai students in a concert full of surprises.

Pictures of the hill tribes' violin project can be viewed on the website of Insii Thai House at:- www.insiithaihouse.com.

After Podevyn's teaching experience in Bangkok, between 1999 and 2002, the amount of violinists coming to the Bangkok Symphony School tripled in only a few months. This was also due to the efforts of Khun Atchara Tejapaibul, Khun Witaya Tumornsoontorn, Khun Suthin Srinarong, Veerapan Woklang and Khun Narong Khanthong, as well as my other Thai violin colleagues.

Podevyn worked at that time for HRH Princess Galayani Foundation and had the great honour to perform with the children for her every year and as concert master for Somtow Sucharitkul's Bangkok Opera.

At that time, together with the Belgian ambassador MR Pierre Vaessen, Belgian Crown Prince Philip and Princess Mathilde were introduced to the Thai opera "Madana".

Thanong Khanthong

The Nation

Always good to have Chiangrai appear in the national press with nice stories...

A good thing is that also the local radio station 'ChiangraiTodayRadio' gave broad attention to the project. What I understand is that television Channel 11 is to follow.

It is nice to see Akha's in the news in another way they usually are depicted: like victimized fringes of Thai society, who are very good at embroidery but at its best deserve our compassion..

I am sure that a project like this not only directly benefits the youngsters involved, but also contributes to the emancipation of the Akha in general.

Indeed, Channel 11 (the team of "Morning Talk") came to film the students of the "Sindoi" project as well as the violin project. On that day, the violin students were performing in their first concert at the school. 900 other students were attending, as well as guests. Just wonderful !!!

On the day of the big concert at Insii Thai House, we will announce that 3 of the hill tribes' children will go to perform in Bangkok end of this month, and 3 more will go to... Europe next March.

I guess that this will maybe provoque some reactions, like "why hill tribes children"?

But our goal is to make a dream come true for them :o

• 2 weeks later...

It is always nice to see happy faces.

Khun Gerty has been doing a great job in two months. Actually unbelievable.

The students played (of course very basic but nevertheless excellently) tunes off a Spanish composer, gipsy music, Mozart and others which I with my limited knowledge of classic music couldn't place.

The picture of the three youngsters who just were informed that they can pack their backs for a longer stay in Bruxelles to learn more, I set to sepia for two reasons:

1) Reason one is a non-reason as I just discovered the possibility to change pictures to sepia and that I, extremely proud about this, wanted to show it.

2) The second reason is that the unrealty the sepia color reflects comes close to the unrealty and unbelief the children must have experienced when they were informed about the fact that they soon will be boarding a plane to visit a world which until now only existed in their fantasy.

A great project! :o

Limbo :D

post-6305-1156395929_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1156395899_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1156395867_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

The show goes on and the children are still part of it.

The violin students of the Suksa Song Kraw School of Maechan, a school with mainly children from ethnic minorities, have been enabled during the last half year to join the Chiang Rai Youth orchestre for some hours a week for further progress.

The positive results were noticeable last night, during a little concert they gave together with American violonist Aaron Meyer and members of the Youth orchestre for those among their fellow students who didn't have the luck to go home to celebrate the newyear with their family. This in many cases for the simple reason that they don't have parents anymore.

To play together with Aaron Meyer, who had arranged a happy and light classical program with several of his own compositions, must have been a nice experience for the kids.

It was very clear that they enjoyed it.

At the same time the concert was a general rehearsal for the concert that they will give tonight in a hidden '12 star hotel', located somewhere close to the Golden Triangle.

Remarcable: Those who have nothing (but a violin) will play for those who have all.

Anyhow, it is a project where everybody involved is helping everybody else to the benefit of all. If this is not going to be sustainable, what will be?

Nice to see that the students, assisted by a schoolteacher, found a way to combine traditional Thai instruments with violins. They are not only playing, but they are creating new music as well.

One difference remains: Before playing they only 'wai' the Thai instruments, not the violins.

Good luck to them!

post-6305-1167546300_thumb.jpgpost-6305-1167546279_thumb.jpg