Myanmar Permanent Residency System for Foreigners in December

I live in Myanmar. Wait till the rules come out before getting excited.

We have to report and get an Foreigners registration certificate and cannot stay in private houses without permission on a business visa. I have a farm and cant stay there without permission and applying. So you have more freedom in Thailand and rents are cheaper and condos etc. Oh yes and our hospitals are pretty bad and electricity and internet and on it goes.

The main reason is to bring home Myanmar people who have lost Myanmar citizenship as they fled and moved to other countries and took up foreign citizenships.

Second is to allow teaching professionals to come and improve the education system.

So wait till you see the rules first this is not what you think it is. They want the people who can help the country develop and bring back the educated and experienced who left over last 50 years.

Ageed. Myanmar, like every other country, wants a certain type of expat. They don't really want the expat rejects from Thailand. But it seems that those are the only ones excited about this announement.

You know how the news cycle demands that they build up a story, rehash it, bring in "experts" to make comments when they would be better off reporting news and leave the future to fortune tellers? Ok so I am going to rehash a little and build this up and show you that the announcement was made in January 2014 was due in October at latest. Now due for December so dont hold your breath. The best article to read with a little explanation is this one.

“We will allow a PR system in four months, not later than October. The duration of permitted stay will start with a five-year term,” Minister of Immigration and Population Khin Yi"

http://www.irrawaddy.org/burma/permanent-residency-system-foreigners-october-minister.html

“We will invite intellectuals and technicians, which the country needs. Secondly, [we] will invite investors. Third, former Burmese citizens. Finally, we will also accept Burmese citizens and his or her extended family who have studied abroad or went abroad for various other reasons,” Khin Yi said.

Obviously I will let the TV members reflect on if this applies to them????

Then please read this seeing that the main thrust seems to be Myanmar Exiles who want to resettle. And also laugh at the dates.

The rules have not been released the start date of Dec 5 is almost upon us.

http://www.irrawaddy.org/burma/permanent-residence-former-citizens-foreigners-start-next-month.html

Ok so lets go to an Add break and when we come back we can discuss what the rules might be about if they ever appear and what we guess the date of the next announcement.

I am betting you wont hear about this again until January 2015.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So does this mean I can work as a digital nomad from Myanmar ?

You could come here at present on a Tourist visa and work as a digital nomad for 28 days and no one would worry.

You could organise a 10 week business visa and do the same. It would depend on what type of business the Nomad was doing. But be warned the internet here is not so great. It is improving slowly. Give it another 3 years should be getting good.

all hail the enlightend myanmar, a new democracy for just a few months

now compare that to thailand

in most western countries, the husband/wife of a citizen is GRANTED citizenship after a few years, the partner can work from day 1, no resctriction and able to buy land, house, business

thailand is stuck in the 18th century

How can you call a 5 year visa for permanent residency? I do not know if I should laugh or cry.cheesy.gifcrazy.gif

yes point taken but still a lot better than thailand and would deffininately encourage more expats to settle there

all hail the enlightend myanmar, a new democracy for just a few months

now compare that to thailand

in most western countries, the husband/wife of a citizen is GRANTED citizenship after a few years, the partner can work from day 1, no resctriction and able to buy land, house, business

thailand is stuck in the 18th century

absolutely right op

• 2 weeks later...

Update the rules have been published here in Myanmar language.

http://www.mip.gov.mm/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/PR-LAWS.pdf

I am reading them now. Seems you pay $500 for application. Have to have a meeting with a panel. If you get it pay $1000 per year after that for 5 years. Extendable for another 5 after that. If former myanmar citizen then $500 per year. $300 for kids under 18 years and free for children under 7.

http://www.mizzima.com/mizzima-news/myanmar/item/15503-blacklist-not-eligible-for-permanent-residency-in-myanmar

I am on bad internet connection upcountry so will post more later after I have read through the Myanmar rules. 51 pages.

If you are married to a Myanmar National like me then it is applicable. Details to come.

Here is a rough outline of the rules. I guess the summary is unless you are already living here for 3 years without break or are an ex myanmar citizen who wants to return you will find little here that will help you. There is not path to citizenship. If you apply on the basis of marriage you will lose the residency if something happens to your partner. So it is good and bad and expensive but it is a step forward considering nothing has changed here in x years. But you get the right to own property.

Myanmar PR Laws

Chapter 1. definitions.

Chapter 2. The basis on which one may apply.

Section 3. An ex myanmar citizen or a foreigner may apply on the basis of expertise if they meet the following criteria.

If the person is an ex myanmar citizen then before they can apply they needs to have an appropriate visa and be living in Myanmar.

If the person is a foreigner then be before they can apply they needs to have stayed in Myanmar during the last 10 years for a period of at least 3 years without any breaks of more than 90 days with an appropriate visa.

Must have demonstrated expertise that is of assistance to govt or other organisations in Myanmar that are of benefit to the country.

Must personally attend a hearing and be examined by a committee.

Section 4. An ex myanmar citizen or a foreigner may apply on the basis of investment if they meet the following criteria.

If the person is an ex myanmar citizen then before they can apply they need to have an appropriate visa and be living in Myanmar

If the person is a foreigner then be before they can apply they need to have stayed in Myanmar during the last 10 years for a period of at least 3 years without any breaks of more than 90 days with an appropriate visa.

Needs to show that they are undertaking an investment in Myanmar within the laws for investment and with permission from the investment commission.

Section 5.

Section 6. An ex myanmar citizen or a foreigner may apply on the basis of marriage if they meet the following criteria. This also includes any children of such a marriage under the age of 18 years who are unmarried.

If the person is an ex myanmar citizen then before they can apply they need to have an appropriate visa and be living in Myanmar.

If the person is a foreigner then be before they can apply they needs to have stayed in Myanmar during the last 10 years for a period of at least 3 years without any breaks of more than 90 days with an appropriate visa.

Section 7.

People who apply under section 6. need to have been married for more than 2 years.

Section 8.

The residency under section 6. will be revoked if the sponsor dies, or the sponsor loses their citizenship. A child under this act who is disowned by law as a child then the residency is lost.

(This is a Myanmar legal practise of removing badly behaving children from the parents legal responsibility used for example in the case of children who are thieving drug addicts.)

Chapter 3.

List the sort of documents and evidence that need to be submitted.

Chapter 4.

When informed by the committee in writing that their application will be heard they need to come before the committee within 60 days.

Chapter 5.

The residency permit needs to be renewed annually and a fee paid for renewal

Chapter 6.

Within 90 days of the end of a 5 year period of permanent residency an application for extension for a further 5 years can be made.

Chapter 7. Permanent resident must apply to be listed on the household list with this method.

Chapter 8. Method to apply for a replacement permit if lost or destroyed.

Chapter 9. Has to advise of change of circumstances.

Chapter 10. What to do in case of birth of a child or death of one.

Chapter 11. What to do in case of death of permanent resident.

Chapter 12. Fees.

Foreigner $1000 per year and $500 for initial application.

Ex Myanmar national $500 per year and $500 for application.

$300 per year for each dependent child over 7 and under 18 years of age.

Free for children under 7 years of age.

$200 fine if late with annual renewal by more than 30 to 90 days.

90 to 180 days will be $500 fine.

$300 for replacement permit if lost or destroyed.

Chapter 13

Permanent Residents Duties and Rights

Obey the law, pay taxes,

Has to inform if leaving the country for longer than 1 year.

Can own property in their own name.

Can apply to be listed on the household register.

Can apply for visas for parents, children and spouse.

Can leave and enter the country at any time.

If ex myanmar citizen can re apply for citizenship after 5 years of permanent residency but if granted will have to renounce other citizenship to become a Myanmar citizen again.

Within 90 days of grant of residency has permission to import personal items without being taxed.

Is able to work and abide in any unrestricted areas of the country

Are able to receive medical treatment the same as myanmar citizens.

Are able to study at govt. education institutions.

Chapter 14 Restrictions

Cannot enter politics etc. Cant become an govt. employee.

Chapter 15. Reasons for revoking permanent residency

Chapter 16.

Chapter 17. Miscellaneous

• Like 1

If ex myanmar citizen can re apply for citizenship after 5 years of permanent residency but if granted will have to renounce other citizenship to become a Myanmar citizen again.

Who in their right mind would renounce a European/US/Australian passport in order to get back a passport from Myanmar.

They should instead just admit that they screwed the country for 60 years and let them have dual citizenship. They still practice a xenophobic approach and it will not help them forward.

Those who said in this thread that it will be better then Thailand need to read the requirments and think again.

My child has two passports, Norwegian and British like me, but can not get a burmese one even though his mom is burmese, go figure..........

• 3 weeks later...

Who in their right mind would renounce a European/US/Australian passport in order to get back a passport from Myanmar.

They should instead just admit that they screwed the country for 60 years and let them have dual citizenship. They still practice a xenophobic approach and it will not help them forward.

Those who said in this thread that it will be better then Thailand need to read the requirments and think again.

My child has two passports, Norwegian and British like me, but can not get a burmese one even though his mom is burmese, go figure..........

The first person to reapply for citizenship under this rule should get some kind of patriots award. :)

I hope it is of benefit to someone but it is a start and shows the fine line they were treading trying to make a rule in the first place.

It seems that the rules are a little conservative and will have very little application in real life but a few people will benefit from them.

Lets see what the future holds? This years election will be a good indicator of things to come.