Get the business off Phuket’s beaches, Navy chief warns

Lite Beer

Get the business off Phuket’s beaches, Navy chief warns

Saran Mitrarat

1417089827_1-org.jpg

V/Adm Sayan: Stop it or I'll send the troops in.

PHUKET: The Commander of the Royal Thai Navy in Phuket dashed the hopes of Phuket’s beach entrepreneurs this afternoon (November 27) by stating emphatically that no one may run a businesses on the island’s beaches – including in areas under trees if the trees are on public land.

In the past few weeks, local people have been creeping back onto the beaches to rent chairs or mats and sell food and drink.

This must stop, said Vice-Admiral Sayan Prasongsamrej, Commander of the Royal Thai Navy’s Third Area Command. He added that, if necessary, the Navy will send troops to enforce the rules.

Speaking after a meeting at the Navy HQ in Cape Panwa with provincial police chief Maj Gen Patchara Boonyasit and local municipalities, the admiral also said, “We have decided on clear zones for jetskis and swimmers by using marker buoys to mark off the swimming areas so that jetskis or speedboats do not hit swimmers.

Initially, three zones for swimming will be set along Patong Beach. Each will be 500 metres wide on the beachfront, tapering to 400 metres in width 150 metres from the shore. Between them will be gaps 300 metres wide that can be used as corridors for jetskis and speedboats to get to and from the beach.

The swimming zones will stretch from the Patong Merlin hotel to the World Gems shop; from Bangla police box to Sabai Beach shop; and from Laempetch football field to Be Lay Tong Resort.

“Each morning, jetskis and speedboats must go along Ratchaprachanukro Rd or Prabaramee Rd onto the beach and park in areas we will designate for jetski mooring. The area for riding jetskis will be marked out, and will not be more than 1.8km out to sea.

“We will start in Patong first and then roll out the system to other beaches,” he added.

He said that until Provincial Government officers work out how commercial activities on the beaches should be managed, officials will allow none.

“At the moment, no beach vendors are allowed to operate on beaches, whether on the sand or in the shade of trees next to the beach. Wherever there is public land they are not allowed to open a shop anyway,” V/Adm Sayan said.

“That’s includes beach vendors walking along the beach selling goods. Those are not allowed at this stage.

“Tourists can bring food or drink by themselves.”

Gen Patchara said that they can also bring umbrellas, towels, chairs or mats onto the beach – resolving a week-long confusion over whether tourists are allowed to poke holes in the sand.

“They can rent these from a shop nearby – though not one located on public land – and carry the sunbathing equipment themselves to use. But we will not allow vendors to help customers set up umbrellas and so on at the beach,” he said.

Asked about massage services opening on the beach, V/Adm Sayan said, “Right now, government officers under Governor Nisit Jansomwong are looking for a solution. I have heard that all the masseuses will get job offers with hotels instead.

“But you’d better ask him. He is taking full responsibility for this.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/get-the-business-off-phuket%E2%80%99s-beaches-navy-chief-warns-49854.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-11-27

English translation: Just give us time, the police have been making money for so long we have to change that as we are now in control, time for the navy to make some money!

Why do you see it so negative?

May be he just wants to help enforce the law

• Like 2

English translation: Just give us time, the police have been making money for so long we have to change that as we are now in control, time for the navy to make some money!

True - but going form one extreme, to another, is plain stupid. What needed to be done was: Getting RID of all the one the beaches, and the corruption. So not allowing vendors, NOT on public land to offer services to turists, is stupid. As most western turists would like this service....but by choice, not some one bullying you, into buying their service.

So: Let businesses service people, what ever they want, from their own land. Including carrying the rented goods onto the beach, and setting it up etc. Same with food and drinks, if someone have a shop on their own land, no problem with people walking up there and ordering it and getting it served on the beach - what was wrong before, was that you where forced/intimidated to use some services.

Nope dont need it. There are many beaches in thailand that dont allow these thieves on public land and everything works just fine. Get them off and keep them off. Bring your own shit from home

• Like 2

True - but going form one extreme, to another, is plain stupid. What needed to be done was: Getting RID of all the <deleted> one the beaches, and the corruption. So not allowing vendors, NOT on public land to offer services to turists, is stupid. As most western turists would like this service....but by choice, not some one bullying you, into buying their service.

So: Let businesses service people, what ever they want, from their own land. Including carrying the rented goods onto the beach, and setting it up etc. Same with food and drinks, if someone have a shop on their own land, no problem with people walking up there and ordering it and getting it served on the beach - what was wrong before, was that you where forced/intimidated to use some services.

If the vendors were allowed to 'help' the customer, they might set it up in a particular spot. It wouldn't take long for certain vendors to claim certain spots.

I'm guessing that is the reason behind the current decision.

• Like 1

In some places if you try to sit on the beach without buying or hiring you get bullied. That's why this needs t be regulated. If I had my way I would take a mobile crane and load all the jet skis on to a truck taking them directly to a crusher. However these guys aren't as easily regulated as are the small vendors, are they?

• Like 1

I find myself getting grumpy and political or maybe I am just getting old. :-/

Unless you are one already you need to go to GOMS http://phuket.goms.org

IMO the OP is crystal clear about what is allowed & what is not. I still do not understand why the jet skis are allowed to continue. Roped off areas do not stop ignorant hooligans.

I find myself getting grumpy and political or maybe I am just getting old. :-/

Unless you are one already you need to go to GOMS http://phuket.goms.org

IMO the OP is crystal clear about what is allowed & what is not. I still do not understand why the jet skis are allowed to continue. Roped off areas do not stop ignorant hooligans.

I'm sure Marine Park 5 can give you from hundreds of thousands of reasons to millions of reasons. K Purriphat needs his accounts looked at.

Interesting is that on PW the Mayor in Patong says definitely chairs are coming back, they just need to formulate a plan, while in the OP he's basically saying the same thing, once a plan is worked out. Until then, no vendors allowed. So from both sides of this meeting ( where conveniently no higher ups attended) it sure sounds and looks like the NCPO's decision to not allow commerce on the beaches will be disregarded.

• Like 1

(Initially, The area for riding jetskis will be marked out, and will not be more than 1.8km out to sea.)

Further progress will have the jetski area start at 2 km out from the beach and extend indefinitely into the open sea.

(Gen Patchara said that they can also bring umbrellas, towels, chairs or mats onto the beach – resolving a week-long confusion over whether tourists are allowed to poke holes in the sand.) Any artifact found, while poking holes in the sand, rings, wallets, amulets, body parts etc. are to be surrendered to the authority in charge for proper identification and return to rightful owners.

If poking holes in the sand is abused it will result in prohibiting poking holes in the air. coffee1.gif

I believe the translation is yours. Negativism is an option exercised by some, regardless of the path taken by those in charge.

Really, I don't understand why it has to be one extreme or the other.

I hate beaches being cluttered with chairs umbrellas and tables everywhere, but on the other side I don't like beaches that don't have any chairs and mats for rent nor drinks and food either.

It's a question of balance.

Why don't the authorities clearly delimit zones for businesses on the beach and issue licences to operate on such spots?

They could make a lottery the first year if there are too many applications.

Really, I don't understand why it has to be one extreme or the other.

I hate beaches being cluttered with chairs umbrellas and tables everywhere, but on the other side I don't like beaches that don't have any chairs and mats for rent nor drinks and food either.

It's a question of balance.

Why don't the authorities clearly delimit zones for businesses on the beach and issue licences to operate on such spots?

They could make a lottery the first year if there are too many applications.

Fine idea in principle but enforcement is & has always been another matter. Also the old cliche "give them an inch ...." comes into play as well.