Phuket beach protection racket ‘nothing to do with Navy’ – admiral

webfact

I'm puzzled as to why Naval personnel would be wearing camouflage uniforms. I thought that was the province of land-based defence forces, not those serving on ships or naval depots.

The US Navy forces in Iraq and Afghanistan were issued their own Cammo BDUs (old pattern). They went to a standard shipboard Digital Cammo a couple of years back (I asked whey you would want to wear a blue/black cammo in the ocean, they couldn't figure it out themselves). So you are starting to see military forces around the world change. The Marines used the desert Digital and it worked great, the Army hated it, never worked in green. They switched to mulit-cam around 2012.

Reminds me of a story my former boss told me about WWII. They'd been fighting Germans in the desert, and were urgently needed for jungle warfare against the Japanese north of Australia.

Their desert clothes would have stood out like beacons in a jungle, so they were given water-soluble green dye on board the troop ships and told to 'go green'.

After the first tropical rains, both troops and uniforms were green. No 'jungle digital' back then.