Phuket: Uber taxi service ‘is illegal’ – Thai Transport Dept

Lite Beer

Phuket: Uber taxi service ‘is illegal’ – Thai Transport Dept

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1417171681_1-org.jpg

Uber advertises its rates for Phuket on its website. The government says the rates are illegally high.

BANGKOK: The Uber phone app, which can be used to summon a taxi, and which was launched in Phuket just days ago, has been declared illegal by the Department of Land Transport (DLT).

The DLT alleges that Uber is using not only “cars that are not correct for public service” but also cars that “are not registered” as taxis – in other words, “black plate” taxis.

The DLT announced the ban on Uber – which also operates in Bangkok – on its website today (November 28) and warned, “Do not use the Uber Service because it is not safe and Uber is not part of the public transportation system.”

Teerapong Rodprasert, the Director-General, explained, “Uber services passengers with green- and black-plate cars. In addition, the prices it charges are not according to the law.”

The announcement came after Uber was discussed at a meeting between the DLT, the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology (MICT), the Department of Business Development (DBD) and the 11th Military Circle of the Army.

The announcement went on, “There could be future problems about credit card payments and service. The way payments are made could cause passengers financial problems in the future.” It added that credit card payments are considered to be secure enough.

Apart from the legality of the cars being used, and of the prices Uber charges, “[some] of the drivers do not have public driver licenses.”

Mr Teerapong added, “Following the meeting, we will cooperate to solve this problem. The 11st Military Circle and the DLP are checking it out, starting yesterday [November 27].

“If the DLT finds [illegal cars involved], we will charge the full fine, which is B2,000 for the wrong type of car service, B1,000 for overcharging, and B1,000 for not having a taxi driver’s license.” It was not clear who would be targeted for overcharging.

“The MICT will collect information about those who have been recruiting drivers to the Uber scheme.”

The statement added that the DBD will help “entrepreneurs” to understand why the Uber system breaks the law. It was not clear who these “entrepreneurs” are.

The DLP’s role will be to let the public know about legal taxi services for safe service. It said people should not automatically believe advertising and marketing.

“We looked at the Uber service payment rates and found that passengers must pay a deposit for service and then another payment for the journey, depending on time and distance, which is higher than the price for a normal taxi.

“Anyone who would like additional information can call 1584.”

Warren Tseng, Uber’s International Launcher, who headed the entry of Uber into Phuket, was not immediately available for comment.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/uber-taxi-service-%E2%80%98is-illegal%E2%80%99-thai-transport-dept-49888.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-11-28

I've used Uber on several occasions in Bangkok. It's a bit more expensive compared to normal metered taxis, but service is great! It's to be considered as a limo-service, and doubt they can make it illegal. Cars are new and clean. Drivers are quiet, polite and well dressed. No "I don't go there", or complaints about traffic. Highly recommended!

• Like 1

Sounds like a great idea looking to be squashed by vested interests. To those of you who say it can be more expensive than "normal" taxis I say so what, as we all have the ability to make choices based on our personal preferences. At the airport in the past I have always gone straight to the limo desk although once at Swampy I took a bus as I only had a small backpack & I was able to get off the bus within a short walking distance of where I wanted to go.

Uber has always provided me an excellent service in Bangkok. Its great to get a comfortable limousine from Siam with no hassle, no 5-10 seconds of thinking before he replies if he will take you there or not etc, and not having to have change/cash on you is nice too. The cars are almost brand new and seems way safer than regular taxis..

• Like 2

Just the most "normal" taxis are dirty, unpolite drivers, drivers dont know the way to go (should have a gps and not ask the customer where to go) so OPEN the market for competitions and Uber is competeing without beeing member of the taxi mafia suported by the officials !

Keep on going Uber!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

I've used Uber on several occasions in Bangkok. It's a bit more expensive compared to normal metered taxis, but service is great! It's to be considered as a limo-service, and doubt they can make it illegal. Cars are new and clean. Drivers are quiet, polite and well dressed. No "I don't go there", or complaints about traffic. Highly recommended!

But it's illegal, so no insurance cover, so not highly recommended.

Having only recently started using Uber I'm well impressed. In a normal year i will use a Bangkok taxi on average 4 times. Only for long overseas trips when I don't want to park my car at the airport for that length of time. This month I've used Uber 16 times, each time opting to leave my car at home and travel instead with Uber. If Uber stops operating will I instead move to using taxi's, no I'll be back to driving myself. I don't use taxi's because I don't want to deal with the nonsense that the driver's play... "I'm not going that way" "my fuel tank is empty" "my shift is coming to an end (in 3 hours) and I can't take you a 10 minute journey" "I don't have any change"...

Edited by 8OA8

Uber has got a foot in the door in many countries, with taxi drivers in many of these countries protesting, and requesting legislation against Uber.

Some drivers, in some countries, have been fined for operating public transport without the appropriate licence, and registration.

Many Governments realise they are powerless to regulate Uber, but can not publically admit it. Uber basically operates in the black economy.

However, If the Department of Land Transport for Thailand, not just Phuket, wanted to serious disrupt Uber's operation in Thailand, all they would have to do is create a criminal offence for the customer, and not just for the driver, and the customer, if a foreigner, is then deported after being convicted.

This would keep the majority of foreigners, whether they are tourists, or expats, using the "approved" road transport, which in many cases, has a price structure that is designed to overcharge, with corrupt payments made to officials to allow the scam to continue.

You're confusing Phuket and Thailand in your post. Unless you're claiming the Bangkok system is designed to overcharge.

Edited by stevenl

Of course it can't be true but the wording of the official statements and news articles sound like the government is pandering to the taxi mafia. Probably just facts lost in translation.

Have these "Officials" try to get a taxi and they will see that Uber is necessary and needed.

As ALLSEEINGEYE mentioned above GrabTaxi is an alternative, at least in Bangkok and Pattaya, so far. It's still in "beta" in Pattaya and there are still a few rough edges, like the app considerably OVERquoting an approximate fare. If GrabTaxi takes off in Pattaya, maybe Phuket will get it, as well?

GrabTaxi uses what looks like registered taxis (but with a GrabTaxi decal on the side), drivers are friendly, well groomed and professional. I've used them over a dozen times in Pattaya and give them high marks. All my drivers have spoken enough English to communicate with me. They use the meter 100% of the time. There is a fee of B40 for rides under 6km, and an additonal B100 (total of B140) fee for rides over 6km. That's still considerably less than any alternative taxi option in Pattaya and, I suspect, in Phuket. And, you're sitting in an air conditioned new taxi rather than a clapped out pickup truck bouncing down the street.

I live 2km from a big Tesco Lotus store in Pattaya. The "approved" taxi service which camps in their parking lot charges a minimum of B250. They, of course, often start higher at B300 (or B350!) but can be brought down to a bargain of B250. GrabTaxi, including the B40 fee, is less than B100. (Usually between B80 and B90.) Quite a nice alternative.

One time a GrabTaxi driver slowed down near the corner of Pattaya Second Road & Pattaya South Road where the baht bus coop has a queue for passengers and he chatted amiably with a baht bus driver with no reaction from the other dirvers hovering around, so I guess there's not bad blood between GrabTaxi and the coop?

• Like 2

Police sorting beach vendors,chair and parasol hogging , and some tuk tuks, But when it comes to encouraging "competition" the country is bottom of the league. Anyone who knows how the white van transportation system operates here, eg to belong to a van group you have to pay to the gang master and apply the charges they set, will know the place is not a "market place"

Hard to imagine that Uber could be overcharging in Phuket where a cheap fare is 500+ baht. Little to do with Uber being illegal and a lot more to do with the "wrong" people making the money

Again the question, which so far nobody has answered, is this illegal verdict a Phuket verdict or a nation wide verdict?

Hard to imagine that Uber could be overcharging in Phuket where a cheap fare is 500+ baht. Little to do with Uber being illegal and a lot more to do with the "wrong" people making the money

Again the question, which so far nobody has answered, is this illegal verdict a Phuket verdict or a nation wide verdict?

covered pretty extensively in the newspaper we are not allowed to quote here.

Uber has got a foot in the door in many countries, with taxi drivers in many of these countries protesting, and requesting legislation against Uber.

Some drivers, in some countries, have been fined for operating public transport without the appropriate licence, and registration.

Many Governments realise they are powerless to regulate Uber, but can not publically admit it. Uber basically operates in the black economy.

However, If the Department of Land Transport for Thailand, not just Phuket, wanted to serious disrupt Uber's operation in Thailand, all they would have to do is create a criminal offence for the customer, and not just for the driver, and the customer, if a foreigner, is then deported after being convicted.

This would keep the majority of foreigners, whether they are tourists, or expats, using the "approved" road transport, which in many cases, has a price structure that is designed to overcharge, with corrupt payments made to officials to allow the scam to continue.

You're confusing Phuket and Thailand in your post. Unless you're claiming the Bangkok system is designed to overcharge.

I'm not sure how these words, "If the Department of Land Transport for Thailand, not just Phuket" confused you stevenl, but for your benefit, I will clarify.

Basically, threaten foreigners with a new law that states being a customer of an Uber car is a criminal offence, which would see them charged, convicted, and deported.

I'm sure very few foreigners would then use Uber's service in Thailand.

In relation to Phuket (this is the Phuket Forum) this would force foreigners into using the rubbish and rip off transport on the island, which is just what "the asociation" wants.

Currently, in other countries, only the driver is liable to punitive measures, not the customer.

covered pretty extensively in the newspaper we are not allowed to quote here.

Why not just answer the question, would have been less typing for you and for me.

You want ripoff Go to Vegas grab a cab there 35.00 USD for a 2 minute ride more if you take freeway.

Hmmmmmm. Last May, I did airport to Bellagio (about 2.5 miles) for 18 USD. Four of us, plus luggage.

Edited by Shot