Phuket alcohol sales on Thai December holidays up in air

Lite Beer

Phuket alcohol sales on Thai December holidays up in air

Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: The island’s top cop could not yet confirm whether or not there would be a ban on alcohol sales during two upcoming holidays – Father’s Day on December 5 and Constitution Day on December 10.

In response to multiple inquiries from readers, The Phuket News contacted Phuket Police headquarters this afternoon.

“We have not yet received an official order [to ban alcohol sales] from the Royal Thai Police [Regional and Central ommands]. We have to wait for an announcement closer to the dates [of December 5 and 10]," affirmed Provincial Police Commander Maj Gen Patchara Boonyasit.

In Thailand, alcohol sales bans are strictly enforced on major Buddhist holidays (Asalha, Makha and Visakha Bucha days) and on the days of elections.

However, the “official ruling” has been inconsistent for other important holidays, especially Father’s and Mother’s days – Their Majesties the King and Queen’s Birthdays, on December 5 and August 12 respectively.

This chart shoes alcohol sales bans on Thai public holidays in the past several years

As soon as The Phuket News receives official confirmation, we will keep readers posted.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-alcohol-sales-on-thai-december-holidays-up-in-air-49890.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-11-28

Why a ban on alcohol sales when it is not linked to a religious holiday? I am sure fathers are really happy to here this, plus it's going to be a long weekend. How many businesses will be affected if they do ban alcohol. I know the small ma & pa shops get around this but what about restaurants and bars that are not so easy to hide. Talk about complete control of peoples lives and taking away peoples choice and in a way their freedom.

• Like 1

"In Thailand, alcohol sales bans are strictly enforced on major Buddhist holidays (Asalha, Makha and Visakha Bucha days) and on the days of elections."

Are they? In the tourist and city areas maybe but wander down a rural road...

• Like 1

I suppose anybody with a bit of common sense would buy alcohol for consumption at home the day before and make a wild assumption that the bars will be closed on those holidays.

Thank you for the timely warning though as I had forgotten about the 5th being a holiday.

It will also be a school holiday too.

Theres a few buddies I know that actually make these days a nice trip out for the day on their boats.

Cliche term but lets call it a booze cruze :-)

Off to a nearby island 20 or so friends have a great day out.

Wouldnt happen without the booze bans ( a few of them involved in bars so a welcome day off )

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Good, ban the sales alcohol to all those damn drunks. They can't go two days without a drink. What a damn shame. cheesy.gif

Thats the spirit MB....close the bars...put people out of work for no logical reason. Good Red thinking there old son. Keep them poor and dumb. Mr T must be so proud of you...never miss an opportunity.

Edited by Mudcrab

Good, ban the sales alcohol to all those damn drunks. They can't go two days without a drink. What a damn shame. cheesy.gif

That's right, and all of those pesky tourists who think they can come to Thailand and enjoy themselves with a bottle of wine at dinner. That's the way forward!

• Like 1

I try not to judge those that drink nor those that don't. It works better for me with that mindset.

Live and Let Live.