Whatever Happened with the Case of the Burned Karen Girl ? ? ?

jaapfries

COUPLE JUMP BAIL: THAI JUSTICE SYSTEM FAILS TORTURED KAREN GIRL

Many eyes have been watching the case of horrific abuse of a young Karen girl from Burma by a Thai couple who allegedly abducted, enslaved and tortured her for five years since she was seven years old (I reported the details last week).

Given the shockingly cruel nature of the abuse, many have been hoping that the huge amount of attention might make a difference in this case and an underprivileged victim will for once get the justice she deserves.

But it is not to be. Thailand – more precisely Thai law enforcement – has failed the poor child yet again. While there have been criticisms of the insensitive treatment of the girl as a child victim by Thai media and law enforcement officials, it is tragic that this case is turning into yet another familiar failure of the Thai justice system.

Suspects failed to report for police questioning

thai_couple_abusers-621x340.jpg?w=500&h=

Mr. Nathee Taeng-orn, age 35, and Ms. Rattanakorn Piyavoratharm, age 33. Two suspects in the case failed to report for questioning with the police on February 18, 2013, and are now wanted on 100,000 baht bounty.

Note: The article was originally published on Siam Voices blog on Asian Correspondent on February 18, 2013.

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy
  • Like 1

I don't know how it works in Thailand.

In the States, a bail bondsman loses the money to the court, when the defendants fail to appear.

But, in Thailand, I suspect there is no intermediary. No bondsman. To whom was the bail money paid then? The court? The police?

My guess is the police.

I would assume that, as in the U.S., they get to keep the money since the defendants jumped bail.

Well, as always, follow the money. Good motive for officials not to care if the accused showed up to receive justice. Probably hoped they didn't. After all, the victim was only a lowly Burmese.

The reporter should seek release of documents showing where that $23,350 is today.

Bail amount is agreed by the Judge and paid to a cashier at the Court premises. I assume for a Thai bail could be guaranteed by way of collateral e.g. a chanote. If skipping bail the Court retains the monies.

Edited by simple1