Sinsod or Dowry.. why the big deal ?

fish fingers

"Traditionally, what might be called a dowry is paid by the groom to the bride’s family. If your fiancée is Thai, this is an issue you may have to come to terms with and it is often a bone of contention for non-Thai men."

Read this on a website and I just wonder why anyone would complain about it - ok its a bit of a shock to have to shell out 1M plus baht but do we have any right to complain, we are marrying into a Thai family after all. And if its to do with being tight, don't forget all those little envelopes will make much or all of it back..

F the sin sot , it's out of date old fashion a waste of my hard earned money, which I could be using for the future . Why Thais think that money grows on trees in western country's is beyond me...

Nobody thought money grows on the tree. How can thai guys get married then?

Most of my Thai friends married Thai guys got minimum 1million baht sin-sod excluded gold and etc.

I dont understand why some farang agaisnt to pay SinSod if they want to marry thai woman and this is a thai culture.

;-)

1. It is a Thais culture. (Normal for Thais)

2. It will show your stable life.(your back ground)

3. It can be guarantee for your future wife's family.(make sure you can look after their daughter)

4. It shows how much value of your future wife.(her basic life and job)

5. For the face if your future wife's family rich. (social life)

:-)

its also english culture for the father of the bride to pay for the weding,

but i suppose we are in thailand, we should go with there culture, is that what you are saying,,?

there was no way on this earth was i going to buy a wife,

my wife agreed with me,,

i said to her, darling its my job to take care of you and i will to the best of my ability,, and i have done for the last 8 years,

we have a great life together, a daughter, nice house, not flash just what we need,

we are happy and my wifes perents are happy that she is happy,

Hahaha...3words [ya-ma-no]

F the sin sot , it's out of date old fashion a waste of my hard earned money, which I could be using for the future . Why Thais think that money grows on trees in western country's is beyond me...

Nobody thought money grows on the tree. How can thai guys get married then?

Most of my Thai friends married Thai guys got minimum 1million baht sin-sod excluded gold and etc.

I dont understand why some farang agaisnt to pay SinSod if they want to marry thai woman and this is a thai culture.

;-)

Actually in England we done away with all of that and both family's parents help pay for the wedding and help to start the bride and grooms future .if you give the children a good start then when it matters latter on they can support the family , and since when has any country give a dam about my English culture , people come here live here and bring all there shit from there country's here I don't even recognize my country any more :) Edited by happydude303
  • Like 1

In fact one of my Thai mates can't marry the girl he loves and she loves him because of the parents wanting this sin sot , so they are not thinking of the happiness of their children but only them selfs , not following the Buddhist way ;)

Edited by happydude303
  • Like 1

Different families have different ideas.

Dowry at my wedding was a mix of cash, gold and chanotes placed on display (for show only, all returned afterwards)

Father in law gave me a 5 baht gold chain with Buddha during the morning ceremony.

Cash from envelopes more than covered the costs of morning ceremony and 300+ guests at the evening ceremony held in a hotel ballroom.

But then again i know of others who have paid a large cash dowry to the inlaws, bought houses and cars when getting married.

There's even a woman in our neighbourhood who's made a tidy profit by having village only weddings with at least 3 gullible farangs, then dumped and had them run out of town by family members months later once the farangs bought cars house etc for her.

• Like 2

It has nothing to do with "western countries", it's a Thai tradition. No one is forced to pay, but quite why someone would want to marry a Thai, in Thailand and then not respect their traditions I have no idea.

• Like 2

Otocheater, I assume you are Thai?

My first Thai wife received a sinsot of about 2 million baht. She then cheated on me with a Thai man and I divorced her.

In your view, should she repay the sinsot to me? And if not, why not?

Just for the record, I was a good husband and never cheated on her.

Yes I am Thai,

You can sue her under Thai law for cheating. Its a morality law. And you also can sue the guy who bang your wife too.

The money you will get from them the court will see from your back ground, based on your life and the face on social life. If you are HiSo you can sue them more than you gave to your wife.

Edited by otocheater

You can sue her under Thai law for cheating. Its a morality law. And you also can sue the guy who bang your wife too.

Yes, I know all that. 'Water under the bridge' as they say. Many years ago now.

But you didn't answer my question, did you?

Yes, I know all that. 'Water under the bridge' as they say. Many years ago now.

But you didn't answer my question, did you?

My answer is... If i were cheating on my husband I will pay husband double of SinSod for divorce because the guy who can made me cheat on my husband will have to be 10times better than him.

PS. I will go with my new husband and give him cash infront of everyone. And say"Tip 4millions baht for you"

Not sure how it works all over Thailand, but myself and some of my wife's friends paid but got it back straight away. Seems the more modern way to keep everyone happy.

Thais pay big sin sod too, just depends what class you marry into.

If you are marrying a rice farmers daughter the price for some reason would be less than marrying into a family of doctors.. Just an example.

I wouldn't have paid if it wasn't coming straight back to us :)

• Like 1

It has nothing to do with "western countries", it's a Thai tradition. No one is forced to pay, but quite why someone would want to marry a Thai, in Thailand and then not respect their traditions I have no idea.

Village ceremony, payments and party is not marriage in Thailand.

Marriage is done at the Amphur office.

It's just a scam perpetuated on the unwary. Been married twice here, never been asked to pay money.

Does your wife sending money to her parents? If so, that is another form of sin sort you pay.

Is that because you have a farang husband funding your kids and family?.

If not why assume others are?.

It is not out of date. It may be strange for you, but you can't expect that Thais adapt to your style. Who are you?

Fatfather

It is not out of date. It may be strange for you, but you can't expect that Thais adapt to your style. Who are you?

Fatfather[/

Fatfather

Im a guy who is set to be Married spending a lot of time with her and her family , they respect my beliefs as well and know that I will look after them and her , I've helped pay medical bills a few times for her mum and done a lot for the young nephews even thou I'm not married to her yet , I've proved my worth to that family and I don't need to do that .

And why can't you expect them to adapt, what about my family's beliefs back home , is that not important or is it all one sided , my choice and my mrs choice , up to you what you do or believe

• Like 2