Farangs taking their Thai partners to the movies - Keep the Chatter Down Please!

mitsubishi

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP you don't need to calm down and you are not exaggerating at all.

First of all you will get it for telling the truth that's for sure, i hope you are prepared.

I will get it too for agreeing with you. Who cares. Let's do it.

I have never had any problem with Thais but it's a fact that when they do something, they do it with total disregard for others. This is a prime example of that. If they want to chat in the cinema while others are trying to enjoy what they paid for then they will do just that without a care in the world. Their mind just cannot understand that they are not alone in the world which is understandable. They are the never colonized nation.

Also it's well known that they can't do something just a little bit. They either don't do it or they go crazy and do it to the extreme. So expecting them not to overdo something is a strange request and i am afraid it is never going to be fulfilled.

Or give it a try and tell them next time: calm down a bit, please. The look on their face will be priceless. They are going to stare at you like you just arrived from another planet. You know like one of these challenged individuals(nobody home).

I loved your post, the way you wrote it.. You just nailed it.

Thanks friend. I know it sounds harsh on the darling ears of the 'gently gently, must go gently' brigade but I tell it like it is. If people aren't bothered by chitter-chatter during a movie you must be very thick skinned and almost blaise about the whole film experience, like the Thais are I guess.

The noisey ways of the Thais weren't too bad this time (while still annoying), but I can recall last year actually having to tell a bunch of noisy, conversationalist Thai lads, after many 'shussshes', literally 'Shut the fck up!' This was mid-movie btw and they were taking the yellow-stuff.

Amazingly, it actually worked, for all of a minute, then the shock wore off and they resumed their noises. I moved seats in the end where it was quieter.

Took my wife to interstellar at pattaya central. Thought wow big cinema but many turds there. To start with the guy next to me decided to bring his kfc dinner box which he opened 10 mins into movie. Koreans behind me with only one he understood english so she had to translate what was going on. Then some russian in front of me who decided to film the climax on his i phone. People moving, turning and standing up. Will only go to small late night sessions now.

Yeah, what I don't like about the late-night movies is the mall is closed when you exit so a big descent down elevators (turned off) or a big queue for the lift, plus the fact you may miss the last BTS train.

I may start getting seats in the aisle territory in future, that way at least you don't get the 'both sides' effect.

A very good start on what we and our Thai wives/gf's should do to make you happy.

Please continue to post what you want done and I for one will get right on it.

I'll try.

If the film is strongly scientific or sci-fi strongly reconsider taking your partner with you, yes that sounds harsh, but would a Thai female actually like a farang Sci-Fi? Especially one that doesn't have romance as a central theme?

If she is or you're like 'I'll take my missus and to hell with you.' then expain to her NOT to talk and ask questions during the movie. It's bloody ridiculous and ruins it for you as well as others, if I don't understand part of a movie I hold my tongue and wait until I can get online to check the synopsis on wiki.

So that's the third thing you can do, translate the movies synopsis into thai, so after she's restrained her chatterbox brain until the movie ends you can whip out the pre-printed wikipedia page and all is revealed for her to understand. :)

• Like 1

Being an anti-PC guy I am in no way offended by your post - it's just that what you experience rarely happens to me. Sure, every once in a while there is a person that's on the cell phone (usually Thai) or a couple that chats too much (could be any nationality) but it does not happen often anymore.

I remember with horror the time right after mobile phones became ubiquitous in Thailand, when watching a movie often became pure aggravation, but as mobile phones became yesterday's toys this problem gradually faded away.

Or maybe it's the endless "turn-off-your-mobile" messages before each show that has had an effect (why do they have to last five minutes!)?

Regarding you comment that Thai people don't get sci-fi movies I'm sure that's correct to a certain extent (depending on their education level and general interests) but you have to realize that the Thai translation according to my wife often is so bad that what's written in the subtitles does not make any sense at all. Anyone who has suffered through a Thai move with English subs knows what I mean.

A while back I worked in the US and what I experienced in the cinemas/theaters there was in now way better than what's going on in Thai cinemas. One particular ethnic group seemed to relish in strolling around and making a commotion. No one ever reacted to this because of fear of the race card being played.

• Like 2

Took my wife to interstellar at pattaya central. Thought wow big cinema but many turds there. To start with the guy next to me decided to bring his kfc dinner box which he opened 10 mins into movie. Koreans behind me with only one he understood english so she had to translate what was going on. Then some russian in front of me who decided to film the climax on his i phone. People moving, turning and standing up. Will only go to small late night sessions now.

I stopped going a long time ago for a reason that cant be mentioned at the start of every movie as I refuse to be a sheep.

Thais are selfish in many ways for me.

A while back I worked in the US and what I experienced in the cinemas/theaters there was in now way better than what's going on in Thai cinemas. One particular ethnic group seemed to relish in strolling around and making a commotion. No one ever reacted to this because of fear of the race card being played.

Oh please. rolleyes.gif

You mean black people.

You can say it.

I remember the first time I went to a movie in downtown Chicago ... a bit of culture shock!

However, if you do happen to find yourself in a movie theater where Black People are talking to the movie screen, if you wish to stay on good terms with Black People you should simply just forget about trying to follow the plot of the movie and join in with the Black People. In some cases you may even find it more enjoyable than watching the actual film.

http://stuffblackpeopledig.wordpress.com/2009/09/03/18-talking-during-the-movie/

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

What ho Carruthers!

bwana_zpsd02e5ab1.jpg

'What 'Ho indeed old chap! Get hauling that cart and put your back into it little fuzzy-wuzzy'

Yet the best times back then in some ways, for all that I'm glad Thailand wasn't colonized.

Some areas don't thrive on being de-colonized though, just look at a few certain African nations after they got their country back!

Colonization could have been a Godsend- no one wanted this place enough to go for it.

Please, before you kill me, this was said with tongue in cheek, mostly.

I do like the post about the Hi-So Thais keeping their people in check, though.

Edited by haybilly

Oh please. rolleyes.gif

You mean black people.

You can say it.

I remember the first time I went to a movie in downtown Chicago ... a bit of culture shock!

However, if you do happen to find yourself in a movie theater where Black People are talking to the movie screen, if you wish to stay on good terms with Black People you should simply just forget about trying to follow the plot of the movie and join in with the Black People. In some cases you may even find it more enjoyable than watching the actual film.

http://stuffblackpeopledig.wordpress.com/2009/09/03/18-talking-during-the-movie/

State Street Theater?

OP you don't need to calm down and you are not exaggerating at all.

First of all you will get it for telling the truth that's for sure, i hope you are prepared.

I will get it too for agreeing with you. Who cares. Let's do it.

I have never had any problem with Thais but it's a fact that when they do something, they do it with total disregard for others. This is a prime example of that. If they want to chat in the cinema while others are trying to enjoy what they paid for then they will do just that without a care in the world. Their mind just cannot understand that they are not alone in the world which is understandable. They are the never colonized nation.

Also it's well known that they can't do something just a little bit. They either don't do it or they go crazy and do it to the extreme. So expecting them not to overdo something is a strange request and i am afraid it is never going to be fulfilled.

Or give it a try and tell them next time: calm down a bit, please. The look on their face will be priceless. They are going to stare at you like you just arrived from another planet. You know like one of these challenged individuals(nobody home).

I loved your post, the way you wrote it.. You just nailed it.

they can if it is called WORK...

and this is not bashing-just observations

Edited by Crazy chef 1
  • Like 1

I go to the Cinema with the missus and kids (12 and 13) quite regularly in Bangkok or Pattaya. My kids like the scary movies and about a year ago I agonized about taking them to see Insidious 2 (They had seen Insidious 1 on the TV). I was concerned of what people would think of me taking them into an 18 movie , would they tell us to get out. Anyway as I bought the rickets and joined the queue there were young ladies with 5 year old kids and in one case a babe in arms. Since that time I've not worried about the cert , unless I think it will have sexual content in it. I always find if you don't want giggling , yakking and general distraction , go in the daytime during the week.

Whenever my missus asks me what happened , I just say I don't know , saves a 20 minute explanation that goes nowhere trying to explain Worm holes (Interstellar)

• Like 1

We go to the movies often - once a week if the movie is worth a try....always sit in the last row possible and have to admit we've never had the OP's concerns.....we live in CM and use two of the possible 5-6 theaters here so maybe it happens in a different area....

Only thing I've noticed are conversations if a cell phone rings - but that's not often....

We aiso saw Interstellar - easy disconnected (in some ways) movie to watch and understand - we watched it in Thai but I had the feeling it wouldn't have been much better in English - the movie buffs here and the critics seem to concur although I'm sure it will be a financial success....

We split movies approx 60/40 English/Thai (language) - a lot of US movies you really don't need to see in English to easily follow......

If it's a Thai made movie (except comedy) most are pretty enjoyable as they deal with feelings (subtle) versus the explosion/car chase/gun battle/roof top jumping/car crashing stuff that comes here....those I can get weary of......

Here it's not unusual for people the wai the King at the end of the observance - I like seeing that.....

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 2

First of all, the movie could have been better. I love sci-fi, this one had a lot of potential but I was not too impressed. My GF slept the whole movie so isn't that an example?!

I thought Gravity was better.

Gravity was pants..

it's nice that they are talking to each other. all too often i see farang/thai couples sitting in restaurants and coffee shops staring into space, ignoring each other. or the girl is playing with her phone as as it is far more entertaining than talking to her bf who is sitting there like a muppet seemingly happy to be ignored.

back on topic... you could ask them to be quiet.