Growing Dates (the fruit) in Thailand

ricktak

Anyone growing Dates (the Fruit) in Thailand, my wife's uncle will be retiring in the US and moving to Thailand in 2 years and he has told her that he has already planted dates on some of his land in Lampang, She is wondering if anyone else has planted Dates (she is interested in doing the same thing) there and what type and also what soil will grow dates best. If anyone has any info I would appreciate the help, Thanks.

One of the agricultural universities in Issan has successfully acclimatized a date palm. They are very slow to start, you won't get much anything for 5-10 years. As for growing conditions, they like hot and dry, depends where you live but if its humid they will not be edible. Its easy to grow dry hard inedible dates, harder to grow the juicy ones like you might buy. Also you need both male and female trees.

Hello All, there is several threads on dates on this forum with pictures of his trees/fruit,

he's down in Buri Ram.

There is also a Thai Ag booklet on dates which I picked up at my local magazine stand.

rice555

Hello All, booklet and where to order, mine from mag stand.

rice555

post-37242-0-78092000-1417794854_thumb.p

post-37242-0-09627700-1417794924_thumb.j

• 6 years later...

A commercial advertising post has been removed, per forum rules.

12) You will not spam in any way, shape or form, through mail, PM, forum post, or any other method. Thaivisa.com considers any method of actively, or passively promoting a commercial entity, that you have an interest in, including websites or personal blogs, and is not a sponsor, as spamming. (Including third parties acting on your behalf.) This is to ensure the integrity of reviews, and advice given to/by our members. Spamming is using the forums to advertise or promote a business for commercial gain.